Found Deceased Channel Islands - Emiliano Sala 28, pilot David Ibbotson, 60, missing plane, Alderney, 21 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But then they should simply float?
The miracle on the Hudson plane floated because it was ditched and not crashed. It this plane had ditched (which is next to impossible at night) the pilot would have called a Mayday. A plane that weighs two tons that hits the ocean from a height of perhaps thousands of feet, doesn't have enough air in the fuselage and the fuel tanks to float or gently come to the surface again and it's not going to be intact as hitting water at that speed is like driving a car doing 100 mph into a tree. Currents might bring a piece of torn fuslage to surface or shore over time though. Elainera - I really admire how much you care about these two but these types of crashes are rarely survivable. I'm signing off on this thread so not to take up so much time on it- if anyone wants a great resource book on aviation "Fly the Wing" by Jim Web is awesome and I'm always happy to answer a technical question via PM.

I wonder if there were any Sigmets (or the European equivalent) out for icing in the area. The Malibu is certified into known icing but it's flight characteristics change a LOT when you've got ice on the airframe.

I'm afraid they won't find them. If they had an engine failure they would have had time for a "MayDay". Just going off radar indicates a loss of control (accelerated stall/spin) or the like. Ditching - WAY harder than you'd think. After the whole incident with Capt "Sully" on the Hudson, a couple of us tried it at Flight Safety in a turbojet sim when I was still maintaining my airline transport pilot certificate and let's just say were the "ZERO on the Hudson"
People forget- of course Sully deserves credit for keeping a cool head and abundant skill but he was also incredibly lucky..

I just heard on BBC news that the plane is about 60 metres deep down on the seabed and that the cameras have been able to see a body.

The family want the wreck to be raised. How easy/hard will that be? 60 metres doesn't sound too far but I'm no expert on sea recovery.

Body seen in Emiliano Sala plane wreckage
One body has been seen in the underwater wreckage of the plane that was carrying footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.

A search on Sunday found the Piper Malibu plane on the seabed off Guernsey, almost two weeks after it went missing.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirmed the sighting on Monday morning.

It is going to be horrendous if only one of the poor men is found.

It seems unlikely that they are not both in there but I keep hoping against hope - even irrationally that maybe one survived somehow and is somewhere else .... Its crazy and I know its not rational but the human mind and heart needs proof - I can spin you a tale about theories and possible scenarios until its proven to me there are 2 men on board.
My thoughts are that since they seem to only be talking about the picture of the left plane fuselage area ... Does that mean its their only visual and they saw a body inside that area? Because it seems the Pilot would still be at the area of the controls? Unless he survived and got up and ended up in the left rear area???
Could anyone of survived that impact since the plane did not break up and how come it did not break up???? And how come seat cushions managed to be found and nothing else ? Can ones mind play tricks that one of the men escaped to the surface and used a cushion to float??? The plane hit the water in one piece ...how long before it sank? Or did it fly straight down to the bottom of the channel with so much force it broke water and like a speeding bullet kept going till it landed on the floor bed ... Or is that ridiculous? Clearly if it hit the water and remained intact then it must of sat upright for some time before it sank??? And someone could of gotten out???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melavista21
Back