Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree and I would add that he only gives up the fight against this judge.

He will exhaust every avenue. Writ of Habeas Corpus next? Or is there a time limit on that which has expired? I think he gave up when the judge said no to putting Vlad on the stand and having to remove the 40-odd new exhibits created since trial.

Yes - the Judge did a great job on this point - e.g. with CODIS

If you want to litigate all that stuff, then you need to find a process to get yourself a hearing and bring the witnesses.

BUT

You just had a trial you could have produced the witnesses at! Instead you just made wild accusations without foundation.

This was also McGee's point on EIC.

There was a lot of stuff Vlad could have speculated about, but the defence struggled with evidential foundation on that stuff. Did calls really bounce around the towers like the defence wished to allege? e.g. if you say CM was really at MSM or at home when he is clocked on other sites, how do you prove he was actually at those locations? Also no AT&T witnesses to corroborate what you are talking about. So one sees how Vlad might become a total liability on X

McGee, in his downbeat testimony, pointed out the futility of all this stuff.

Just a transcript from the end of part 1 video

1:07:05
Judge: And how long do you want, to do that?
RM: I'll do as long as you'll give me your honour, if you want to cut me off, that's...but my intention is to finish what I have to tell the court and, until you don't want to listen anymore. That's my, that's my goal. If I had to estimate at least on this issue, I could probably do that in 15 minutes, 20 minutes. [CM looks confused]
Judge: Alright I'll give you 15 minutes.
CM: [gives an exasperated sigh]. Your honour..
RM: [whispers to CM]- you can't talk.
CM: [to RM] Tell him I'd like to talk to you about it.
RM: ok he wants to have a talk with me your honour.
Judge: I'm sorry?
RM: he wants to um take a few minutes to er talk with me, if that's ok.
Judge: Sure, we'll take a 10 minute recess. Um I guess we'll take maybe about a 40 minute recess for lunch since it's after 12. So we'll be in recess until 12:45.

After lunch:
Judge: Mr Maline you wanted to be heard on the misconduct issue?
RM: Uh yeah, before that your honour um I wanted to talk to my client, he wanted to talk to me before the break, he informed me during the break that he does not want me to continue um as his lawyer um, he's also disclosed some other issues that would um necessitate uh the filing of a conflict, or [?] a conflict based on what he has told me at this point. Um I don't feel in good conscience based on what I've been told that I could go forward, um and that's where we're at.
Judge: Alright, so we can have a Marsden hearing uh with Mr Merritt where he can indicate the reasons he does not wish counsel to go forward or he does not wish to continue with Mr Maline so I'm going to have to ask everyone to leave the courtroom for a few minutes while we do that. Cameras off.

LOL - I missed the exchange at 1.07

Wow this is totally strange. He seemed to react specifically to the 15min comment from Maline.

Maybe this explains it? Maline is actually quite dismissive and rude towards his own client at this point "ok he wants to have a talk with me your honour."

My guess is Maline couldn't be bothered anymore and they had a set to.

LOL - I missed the exchange at 1.07

Wow this is totally strange. He seemed to react specifically to the 15min comment from Maline.

Maybe this explains it? Maline is actually quite dismissive and rude towards his own client at this point "ok he wants to have a talk with me your honour."

My guess is Maline couldn't be bothered anymore and they had a set to.
I'd be dismissive, too. We all know Merritt's been running the show but you can bet he'll blame his attorneys for anything and everything that doesn't go his way in the court room. If I were his attorney I would've divorced him long ago.

Though I've followed this trial from the day this family went missing to its painful conclusion, I apparently missed a few facts, and hope someone can help.

1. What evidence and photos were contained on CM's phone, and where is this detailed?
2. Do we know why McGee really left?
3. If the family was buried between on the 6th (Cell Tower Info) or thereafter, there would have been some pretty horrendous forensics taking place with the bodies - rigor etc. Was there any evidence as to where he might have kept the bodies or any factual evidence on this issue?

Thank you! Hopefully, the last we see of CM will be this upcoming Tuesday.

Tuesday, January 21st:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey, Jr. (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19 and ended 6/7/19. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance. Verdict: LWOP for Joey, Death for Summer, Gianni & Joey, Jr.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase (Day 1-5: 6/11/19 thru 6/21/19) and court info thru 9/27/19 & Sentencing/Post Judgement Motions hearing on 1/17/20 reference post #620 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt charged w/murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

1/17/20 Update: Court is adjourned until Tuesday, 1/21 morning 8:30am PT. At that time more family members will give victim impact statements and Merritt will be sentenced (hopefully!).

So I guess we might just have audio, tomorrow, although someone did post a link to a news station that MIGHT be streaming?

Though I've followed this trial from the day this family went missing to its painful conclusion, I apparently missed a few facts, and hope someone can help.

1. What evidence and photos were contained on CM's phone, and where is this detailed?
2. Do we know why McGee really left?
3. If the family was buried between on the 6th (Cell Tower Info) or thereafter, there would have been some pretty horrendous forensics taking place with the bodies - rigor etc. Was there any evidence as to where he might have kept the bodies or any factual evidence on this issue?

Thank you! Hopefully, the last we see of CM will be this upcoming Tuesday.
I can’t recall exactly but there was something about a google search regarding needing passports to go to Alaska where he had family? That might be from another case though. There was pictures of the burial sight with the tracks on his phone. These taken after they were found.

It is suspected he kept the bodies in a storage unit they shared but was never determined what storage unit it was as the new owners discarded the old files.

Artie Ojeda‏Verified account @ArtieNBCSD 2h2 hours ago
After a delay, the convicted killer of the McStay family of Fallbrook will be sentenced today. Chase Merritt, 62, is facing a potential death sentence, or life in prison. I’m heading to San Bernardino and will keep you updated. #nbc7

EOz20nZUEAYQcaH.jpg

Artie Ojeda‏Verified account @ArtieNBCSD 3m3 minutes ago
Artie Ojeda Retweeted Artie Ojeda

This hearing is supposed to start at 8:30. Just getting word, it’s being delayed by about a half hour. Note: last week, the defense entered motions 15 minutes before Friday hearing was to start. Judge allowed them, and it took the entire day to resolve. #nbc7 #Mcstay

I think the family should be notified when all the parties are there and ready, and then the court can wait for them to arrive from San Diego. This is crap that they have to waste yet another day.

Has it been confirmed if any station will carry video (or even audio) for the sentencing?

Surprise surprise. Wonder if he tried to off himself. He was looking pretty bad on Friday, IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back