Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have seen a lot of sentencing hearings. I've never seen one where the defense attorney got up and began revisiting the trials evidence and asked to play a powerpoint summarising the cell phone evidence. :rolleyes:

But this isn't the "sentencing hearing" yet. This is a post-conviction motions hearing. I am just not sure if these are usually held together like this or if they would normally be done with post conviction motions before the actual sentencing hearing? I haven't watched many California trials....

Of course my phone rang at the end of that lol I think this motion and cell phone records is about what the expert would have said had he been called as a witness, which McGee failed to do. So I guess it's a bit of "new evidence" and a bit of "McGee sucks"?
The judge told Raj that he couldn't have the expert give live testimony----but the judge would accept a report and a powerpoint presentation----so Raj requesters ten minutes to get that in order---saying he'd need to take out the slides that were going to be used for live testimony---or something like that?

But this isn't the "sentencing hearing" yet. This is a post-conviction motions hearing. I am just not sure if these are usually held together like this or if they would normally be done with post conviction motions before the actual sentencing hearing? I haven't watched many California trials....
Let me rephrase. I have never seen a case where both families have arrived in court, prepared to hear the sentencing, and first have to sit through last minute testimony and cell phone evidence, thrown in, as if the trial were ongoing and there was not already a GUILTY verdict....o_O

Let me rephrase. I have never seen a case where both families have arrived in court, prepared to hear the sentencing, and first have to sit through last minute testimony and cell phone evidence, thrown in, as if the trial were ongoing and there was not already a GUILTY verdict....o_O

Oh, I agree, I'm not sure I have ever watched anything like this, I can't really recall. Maybe a ruling on a motion and then continued on to sentencing (having already held the post conviction hearings?)
But if they were prepared to hear the sentencing right way, that is on the lawyers IMO We knew months ago that they would have the post conviction motions hearings first. It was listed on the court portal and even mentioned in court.

I wonder if any of the jurors are in court today? If I was one of them I think I'd be a bit annoyed at today's nonsense. They reached their verdict and it's time to sentence. Period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back