Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still watch the trial everyday.

But one thing I wonder if I missed—was it conclusive that the hammer came from the McStay home? Was it determined to be something they were using while working on the home? Seems like something someone like CM is more likely to have on him and that's what I always thought but in the closing argument, Melissa indicated it came from the McStay home. Can someone point me to the testimony where this question was covered in the trial? Was it covered? I can't find it in the any of the trial videos.

I still watch the trial everyday.

But one thing I wonder if I missed—was it conclusive that the hammer came from the McStay home? Was it determined to be something they were using while working on the home? Seems like something someone like CM is more likely to have on him and that's what I always thought but in the closing argument, Melissa indicated it came from the McStay home. Can someone point me to the testimony where this question was covered in the trial? Was it covered? I can't find it in the any of the trial videos.
I'm a bit rusty on the details now but I seem to remember that McGyver was asked something about whether the sledgehammer may have been used to close tins of paint? I'm not sure if he could remember by the time the bodies and the hammer were unearthed.

As to the questions about the documentary---
I am thinking they are going to 'fashion' it into a sort of "Chase Merritt is Innocent' documentary.

Kind of like Making A Murderer or something like that...

Considering it's title: "Two Shallow Graves" I think not only will they fashion it into a "Chase is Innocent" doc, but they will also be going after Michael McStay since that was something he said and it was made into a big deal on the stand.

I'd like to see a documentary made that is based on all the known facts and where we get to hear from people on both sides. I'm expecting the Two Shallow Graves documentary to be a pile of garbage, although I'll try to watch it with an open mind and with the hopes of being pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to see a documentary made that is based on all the known facts and where we get to hear from people on both sides. I'm expecting the Two Shallow Graves documentary to be a pile of garbage, although I'll try to watch it with an open mind and with the hopes of being pleasantly surprised.

You just may get your wish from what I hear! Oh and it won't be the one sided "Two Shallow Graves" documentary.

Dude! Guys! I know we have some Unsolved Mysteries fans on here and on Websleuths in general and (unrelated to it's new incarnation as a Netflix series), I was just browsing the Facebook group "The Missing Segments of Unsolved Mysteries" where people are posting segments that never made it on the FilmRise release and stumbled upon one about Cognitech. Cognitech? Where have I heard this word before? And as I said it back to myself therein was a strong Irish accent and loads litigated babbling abound. I know where I have heard this before. It was a software company owned by Dr. Leonard Rudin and mentioned in testimony during the McStay trial. Sure enough, Dr. Leonard Rudin was on Unsolved Mysteries in 1995.

I'm trying to find a hearing that I thought took place between day 50 and day 55 I'm pretty sure.

It's the one where the jury is not present. First Dr. Rudin testifies as to his change in opinion, then the defense requests a mistrial, then it gets heated between the prosecution and defense.

Mr. McGee screws up but goes into this very elaborate speech where he says, "And this is what has happened in the People vs Charles Merritt, it is a shell game..." At one point Mr. Imes interrupts Mr. Mcgee and says "That's a lie!" Then Mr. McGee screws up by saying, "Yes, it is!" and everyone laughs.

Mr. McGee says: "You're already proven to be a liar! Don't go there!"

Then the Judge yells, "Mr. McGee, if you're going to yell at Mr. Imes, DO IT IN THE PARKING LOT!"

Does anyone remember this hearing? It is NOT this one but it's similar:

Also, at the end Mr. Maline stands up and says, "This is a death penalty case. They're seeking the death penalty. It is reprehensible!" Then he mentions how the Judge admonishes him in front of the jury and "Maybe rightly so!" he says.

I can't find this hearing anywhere! Does anyone know which video it is?

At one point Mr. Daugherty says, "I'm not making six figures from a documentary so I'll keep it brief."

I think it took place on the May 22nd according to this tweet:

@JDCrighton
McGee yelling at prosecution. Judge raises his voice at McGee and tells him if he wants to yell at prosecution.... go out to the parking lot #mcstay
1:06 PM · May 22, 2019

I could have sworn it's between day 50 and 55 and it is audio only for sure. If anyone can help me find this, I'd really appreciate it!

UPDATE: I found it!

Last edited:
I'm trying to find a hearing that I thought took place between day 50 and day 55 I'm pretty sure.

It's the one where the jury is not present. First Dr. Rudin testifies as to his change in opinion, then the defense requests a mistrial, then it gets heated between the prosecution and defense.

Mr. McGee screws up but goes into this very elaborate speech where he says, "And this is what has happened in the People vs Charles Merritt, it is a shell game..." At one point Mr. Imes interrupts Mr. Mcgee and says "That's a lie!" Then Mr. McGee screws up by saying, "Yes, it is!" and everyone laughs.

Mr. McGee says: "You're already proven to be a liar! Don't go there!"

Then the Judge yells, "Mr. McGee, if you're going to yell at Mr. Imes, DO IT IN THE PARKING LOT!"

Does anyone remember this hearing? It is NOT this one but it's similar:

Also, at the end Mr. Maline stands up and says, "This is a death penalty case. They're seeking the death penalty. It is reprehensible!" Then he mentions how the Judge admonishes him in front of the jury and "Maybe rightly so!" he says.

I can't find this hearing anywhere! Does anyone know which video it is?

At one point Mr. Daugherty says, "I'm not making six figures from a documentary so I'll keep it brief."

I think it took place on the May 22nd according to this tweet:

@JDCrighton
McGee yelling at prosecution. Judge raises his voice at McGee and tells him if he wants to yell at prosecution.... go out to the parking lot #mcstay
1:06 PM · May 22, 2019

I could have sworn it's between day 50 and 55 and it is audio only for sure. If anyone can help me find this, I'd really appreciate it!

UPDATE: I found it!

I remember it well. I’ll do some digging when I get time.

So when is this so-called "documentary" going to come out? Oh I'll bet production was halted because some of the crew wanted to go out drinking and dancing with the defense team. :rolleyes:

From what I'm hearing is that the production people thought (the defense had them snowed) that it was a slam dunk for not guilty. Media talk is they are in a quandary as how to fix the their blunder after drinking the kool aid. You can bet the defense is trying to come up with some story now to get a new trial and will probably be throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks. I've been hoping for COVID 19 !

From what I'm hearing is that the production people thought (the defense had them snowed) that it was a slam dunk for not guilty. Media talk is they are in a quandary as how to fix the their blunder after drinking the kool aid. You can bet the defense is trying to come up with some story now to get a new trial and will probably be throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks. I've been hoping for COVID 19 !

Thanks for the info @Bobcat1

Obviously there is a story to tell here, but it isn't that one!

As reported by CBS SF Bay Area, San Quentin has a COVID-19 outbreak and nine death row inmates have died of confirmed or suspected coronavirus. Four other gen pop San Q inmates have met the same demise. The 13 deaths are the second-most COVID-related deaths in the state prison system as of Wednesday afternoon (July 22, 2020). Nineteen inmates have died at the California Institution for Men in Chino.

According to the CDCR’s coronavirus tracker, there are 861 inmates at San Quentin with active infections, with 132 new infections within the last two weeks. Another 36 infected inmates have been released and 1,112 inmates have recovered from being infected with the virus.

I did not include the latest inmate's name and info because it doesn't pertain to this thread, but you can read the full article from MSN's website here.

Child Killer John Beames Is Latest San Quentin Death Row Inmate To Die From Coronavirus

Thanks for this :thumbup:

As reported by CBS SF Bay Area, San Quentin has a COVID-19 outbreak and nine death row inmates have died of confirmed or suspected coronavirus. Four other gen pop San Q inmates have met the same demise. The 13 deaths are the second-most COVID-related deaths in the state prison system as of Wednesday afternoon (July 22, 2020). Nineteen inmates have died at the California Institution for Men in Chino.

According to the CDCR’s coronavirus tracker, there are 861 inmates at San Quentin with active infections, with 132 new infections within the last two weeks. Another 36 infected inmates have been released and 1,112 inmates have recovered from being infected with the virus.

I did not include the latest inmate's name and info because it doesn't pertain to this thread, but you can read the full article from MSN's website here.

Child Killer John Beames Is Latest San Quentin Death Row Inmate To Die From Coronavirus
It would be the luck of the draw in Merritt’s favor, to die so early in his new prison life.

***I’m hearing now that he has it.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds