Chuck and Judith Cox file for custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressure cooker anyone???? *sizzle*

West Valley Police Chief Thayle "Buzz" Nielsen admits he takes the case of missing mother Susan Cox Powell very personally.

"I promised (Chuck Cox) that we would do everything that is humanly possible, that we just wouldn't give it up,"
he said of his vow to Susan's father to resolve the case.

In a sit down interview with Nielsen in his office Tuesday, the chief used phrases like being "in the fourth quarter" and the "tipping point" when describing where the investigation into Susan's disappearance is now at.

"We're right here on the verge of this. We get through the evidence in that trailer, I'm greatly optimistic we will be ... oh man, all that hard work is paying off I think,"
he told the Deseret News.

Josh Powell also recently said in an interview that he would be willing to talk to the FBI but not to West Valley police.

In the coming days, Nielsen said his department plans to draft a letter personally inviting Josh Powell to sit down with the FBI and his department will take care of the expenses. :floorlaugh:

As for the "Monday morning armchair quarterbacks," Nielsen said he has told his investigators to mostly ignore them.

"They don't know that we've got more stuff than they can even imagine,"
the chief said.

When asked whether the public search of Ely was also meant to "shake the trees" of potential suspects to see how they'd react, Nielsen admitted that was a small part of their motives.

"Whatever we say here today, Josh will be reading tomorrow,"
he said.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17426938

This article gives me great hope that this case is close to being solved and an arrest made. Nielson sounds like he knows what he's doing and intends to do it by the book and have no room for mistakes.

So glad the boys will be placed with the Coxes, I am hopeful it will turn out to be permanent. BUT... with them being so young, the grandparents' ages might be a factor. I don't know how old the Coxes are, maybe they're young enough that it won't impact the decision. But when people are close to sixty or so, some judges will hesitate to place very young children with them on a permanent basis.

Which brings me to another point. The boys were about 2 and 4 when their mother disappeared, right? I wonder how much they would be able to remember about that night, and if investigators would consider any of it valid. Even a 4 y.o.'s memories will fade with time, or become distorted by what a parent tells them. And a 2 y.o. would likely not remember much at all, so I doubt if questioning them at this point would net any real results. They have likely been told things that would no doubt cause their real memories to be erased, or at the least, altered to a degree. IOW, getting any useful information from them now would probably be impossible.

I can't imagine anything those boys say ever being admissible in court. At best, they might be able to give the police clues where to look. They were just too young for their memories to be reliable, at least in a legal sense.

305895260-27151342.jpg

307356440-27151346.jpg

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-josh-powell-custody-trial-sept-27-20110927,0,3480335.photogallery

Josh does not look well at all. I wonder if he has slept since the Topaz dig started? So glad the boys are out of that house, hope the judge sees in their favor and awards them to the Coxes.
The guy looks totally unstable and on the edge. I hope the Judge saw that together with the statement that he is being investigated on the *advertiser censored* charges is enough for the Coxes to keep the boys. He needs an evaluation at the very least.

I just heard on the news that Susan's parents have the boys now. Anyone else hear this? I haven't read this whole thread.

Kiirsi Hellewell
@Kiirs Utah

(1/2) Spoke with Chuck Cox a few min ago. He sounded happier than I've heard him in a long time.. Their grandsons are with them tonight.
11 hours ago

(2/2) I am full of gratitude and also praying and hoping tomorrow's court decision is in their favor. #findsusan
11 hours ago

The guy looks totally unstable and on the edge. I hope the Judge saw that together with the statement that he is being investigated on the *advertiser censored* charges is enough for the Coxes to keep the boys. He needs an evaluation at the very least.

He's actually worried, IMHO, about WHAT? the boys are going to say IF the Cox family got them and, or, what they MAY HAVE already said while with CPS.

I bet last night when he heard that the Cox's actually got physical custody, he's just about ready to head for the hills.:behindbar

Me THINKS LE is right! They're on the home stretch of this case!

just sayin'
fran

so the boys are staying with people whom they have not been allowed access to and probably their heads filled with propaganda by father/grandfather. cox's have some trust building to do.

This article gives me great hope that this case is close to being solved and an arrest made. Nielson sounds like he knows what he's doing and intends to do it by the book and have no room for mistakes.

So glad the boys will be placed with the Coxes, I am hopeful it will turn out to be permanent. BUT... with them being so young, the grandparents' ages might be a factor. I don't know how old the Coxes are, maybe they're young enough that it won't impact the decision. But when people are close to sixty or so, some judges will hesitate to place very young children with them on a permanent basis.

Which brings me to another point. The boys were about 2 and 4 when their mother disappeared, right? I wonder how much they would be able to remember about that night, and if investigators would consider any of it valid. Even a 4 y.o.'s memories will fade with time, or become distorted by what a parent tells them. And a 2 y.o. would likely not remember much at all, so I doubt if questioning them at this point would net any real results. They have likely been told things that would no doubt cause their real memories to be erased, or at the least, altered to a degree. IOW, getting any useful information from them now would probably be impossible.
If no other family member is seeking custody ,they will give it to the Coxes. Also,they Coxes may have family who will agree to take the boys if anything happens to them. 60 is the new 40 : )
Seriously,I have seen infants go to older grandparents than the Coxes.
IIRC, Josh's sister who got away ,said she would take them if the Coxes age was an issue ,didn't she?

so the boys are staying with people whom they have not been allowed access to and probably their heads filled with propaganda by father/grandfather. cox's have some trust building to do.

The boys need a lot of help,but they are very young and had Susan as a mother during some important years. I have faith.

If no other family member is seeking custody ,they will give it to the Coxes. Also,they Coxes may have family who will agree to take the boys if anything happens to them. 60 is the new 40 : )Seriously,I have seen infants go to older grandparents than the Coxes.
IIRC, Josh's sister who got away ,said she would take them if the Coxes age was an issue ,didn't she?

lol right on...!

lol right on...!

I believe Mr. Cox stated his age in his declaration in support of custody. I don't remember what he said, but it was in the late 50s, like 58. I believe his wife is the same age. While the boys will certainly be an energetic handful, they will have tremendous support from their family, neighbors, and church to help raise them. Those boys will want for nothing they need.

I don't believe Josh here, when he told the judge, he " never saw any *advertiser censored* at the house in Puyallup."

IF Jennifer Graves knew about it from YEARS ago, Josh was VERY WELL AWARE that stuff was in the house! :mad:

Besides, what the heck were they doing with 15 computers anyway? :rolleyes:

Inquiring eyes want to know!:sleuth:

JMHO
fran

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...gated-on-child-*advertiser censored*-charges/

Josh Powell told the court he never saw any *advertiser censored* at the house in Puyallup, and that there was no “clear and present danger” to his children, KOMO reported. He also said that he would be moving out of his father’s home and that the family would not post bail for Steve Powell.

The boys might not have much recall of what happened when Susan disappeared (and doubtless SP and JP have been diligently reprogamming them), but they may be able to provide investigators with helpful information about things that JP/SP and other compound dwellers have said or done in the years since...

I know that different states have different criteria but I don't understand both parties not having to prove financial ability . Here they have a very extensive form that must be completed. If Josh has no income how is he able to provide for the boys ? The only person with an income in that house is now unemployed.

http://twitter.com/#!/Brooke4Trib

Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
Recap: Children were placed with Susan's parents temporarily yesterday. Judge planned to review tons of documents before reconvening today.
5 minutes ago »

Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
Media already filing in for Cox v. Powell custody court hearing, which begins at 9:30, PST.
9 minutes ago »

DNewsCrimeTeam DNews Crime Team
Custody hearing for Susan Powell's sons to begin in 20 min. Already standing room only for media in court.
1 minute ago

Do we know for sure when exactly the judge is expected to make the decision today?

ETA - Don't mind me people - the hazard of working from home is sometimes you actually have to work and miss other posts.

My stomach is actually upset - I've been so hoping the Coxes could get custody and keep them. A collective prayer that the judge makes the right decision.

You know, they are young and with a gentle hand and a lot of love, this probably won't be too difficult. As long as the Coxes go slow and don't force any issues. Let the boys talk when they want, etc. they will probably be okay.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts for them and the boys.

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member