Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooting could be very dangerous as well. What if the shooter missed and hit the child instead? Shooting is presented as the only safe option when it clearly isn't all that safe. And gorillas aren't normally violent (unlike chimpanzees). If those screaming people shut up for a second, Harambe wouldn't have become so agitated. A lot of his movements were protective. He took the child out of the water and into the enclosure. Nobody said he was actually trying to attack the child. If he wanted to kill the child, he had plenty of time to do it. Kid had some scrapes and a concussion (and he did fell 15 feet into the moat).

So why do you think this action was taken? Do you think they wanted to shoot Harambe? They thought it would be good press? Just for fun?
I'm not trying to be snippy, I really want to know why you think they did it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CincinnatiPD

648103cc47d7967470edcf3551092ce6.jpg

Age of child verified... The child involved in this incident is three years old.

The zoo passed the last several inspections by the fed or government agencies that oversees the saftey compliance of the gorilla enclosure. So everything was known by all agencies involved and they didn't have a problem with the enclosure either. So the zoo wasn't forced to have a more stern method of a anti breach system in place. So why blame them?

The regulations are so vague, that any zoo can pass the inspections. The Cincinnati Zoo does not have a particularly good track record. This is their third safety violation, so far this year. The last one was just a month ago when their polar bears escaped.

The regulations are so vague, that any zoo can pass the inspections. The Cincinnati Zoo does not have a particularly good track record. This is their third safety violation, so far this year. The last one was just a month ago when their polar bears escaped.

Is it just your opinion that the regulations are vague and any zoo can pass them? Maybe you have something concrete that can back that statement.

Nice description of Harambe from his former caretaker. It's sad that he was send to Cincinnati so he could start a family and instead he was killed before he could even start breeding.

"He was like one of my sons. He was beautiful and a true character — so mischievous and not aggressive. He would throw water on the female keepers before running back and hiding in the back of his exhibit like ‘Haha, I got you.’ He would take a keeper’s blanket and just run off. Very fun loving and so intelligent,” said the 74-year-old Stones."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/31/harambes-caretaker-he-like-one-my-sons/85216356/

Some kids are naturally timid and cautious, while others think they are invincible and need the fear of God put into them every once in awhile. I'm guessing this boy got enough fear to last him for at least a few years!!!

How would electric shock wire work in a body of water like the moat? Seems it would be akin to tossing a blow dryer into a bathtub. :eek:

I believe they were referring to areas not near water but more towards the back of the den if the animal were to try to escape or could get out. This was about a different zoo and lions, not the gorilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The child could of been seriously hurt from the fall and could of drowned in that mote as it has water. Considering the mote is over 10 feet, the child could of been injured seriously. Luckily he was not seriously injured.

The zookeepers do not take shooting the gorilla lightly. Tranquilizers do not act fast. Shooting it was the only way to save the child's life. I cannot fault them for killing the gorilla. Those animals can be very vicious.

What really irritates me is inattentive parents. I think this is what we should be debating about. Almost every public place I go to, I keep seeing children running around. That has to be dangerous.

Another thing to add. If Michelle Gregg did not post anything on Facebook, she would not face the wrath of being shamed. She should of stayed silent and laid low. Another social media gaffe unfolding.

A lot of unsubstantiated claims have come via Facebook rumors and have somehow made their way into general discussion as if fact, when they are not, and warping people's perception of what happened IMO.

Some kids are naturally timid and cautious, while others think they are invincible and need the fear of God put into them every once in awhile. I'm guessing this boy got enough fear to last him for at least a few years!!!

I very much doubt that. That kid sounds like a handful.

Actually he didn't because he wants to go back. I suspect the mother is lenient with him and this is not the first time he's gotten his way. If she doesn't get control over him while he is little, god help her when he grows up to be a huge football player who doesn't respect women or the law- there's plenty of them out there!

Actually he didn't because he wants to go back. I suspect the mother is lenient with him and this is not the first time he's gotten his way. If she doesn't get control over him while he is little, god help her when he grows up to be a huge football player who doesn't respect women or the law- there's plenty of them out there!

Or, maybe he'll grow up to create zoo environments that work really well for both the animals and the visitors. Or maybe he'll be a zookeeper...or hold some other job that requires an adventurous spirit (with some maturity that will come with age, I hope).

Plenty of "handfuls" grow up to do amazing things.

Translation: you can’t find the article because it doesn’t exist. You just keep repeating these social media rumors over and over, like that somehow makes it the truth. The witnesses were very clear that the mother did not even know that it was her child who had fallen into the moat.

[video=youtube;u3go-JovCaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3go-JovCaY[/video]

BBM. That's sufficient evidence for me to conclude that she was negligent. How can you be unaware that your own child has gone into the gorilla enclosure? Where did she think he was?

there is a long standing tradition here, may even be a rule, that if you are going to claim something as FACT then you should be prepared to provide proof. earlier i was just about to go through this thread and make a list of all the completely baseless claims that have been made, maybe i will go ahead and do it although i suspect it would fall on deaf ears.
Not a tradition... it's part of the TOS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

it is amazing how you can determine so much about this boy's upbringing and his future from just this one incident, i wonder where that comes from...

During 38 years, there were obviously countless children viewing the exhibit. None of them went into the enclosure.

During 38 years, there were obviously countless children viewing the exhibit. None of them went into the enclosure.

and that somehow proves something about this childs upbringing? this 3 or 4 year old boy about whom you only know brief details of this one incident... amazing insight. or uninformed judgement... one of those.

Or, maybe he'll grow up to create zoo environments that work really well for both the animals and the visitors. Or maybe he'll be a zookeeper...or hold some other job that requires an adventurous spirit (with some maturity that will come with age, I hope).

Plenty of "handfuls" grow up to do amazing things.
Doubtful since he has no respect for being told "no" ,and fences, and no clue about dangerous animals, and does what he desires. You can hope though...

Many years ago, my sister and her family were visiting DC. They were outside the White House with their children beside them, all very well behaved kids, when my 4 year old nephew said "I don't think I can get out of here." He had squeezed between the bars of the fence and was looking out at them from the White House lawn.

This boy went on to be class president in high school, college graduate, far from a juvenile delinquent. He's now in his early 30s, stable, employed.

This child's future is in no way written by this single incident.

Many years ago, my sister and her family were visiting DC. They were outside the White House with their children beside them, all very well behaved kids, when my 4 year old nephew said "I don't think I can get out of here." He had squeezed between the bars of the fence and was looking out at them from the White House lawn.

This boy went on to be class president in high school, college graduate, far from a juvenile delinquent. He's now in his early 30s, stable, employed.

This child's future is in no way written by this single incident.

That also didn't involve a dangerous animal, and being told "no" don't do something. Apples and oranges.

Doubtful since he has no respect for being told "no" ,and fences, and no clue about dangerous animals, and does what he desires. You can hope though...

Yep, I can. I'm not counting out a four-year old's potential....his feistiness and defiance just might lead him to good places.

This does not mean that I think it's okay what happened. I'm horrified by the events, every way I look at it. But I'm not condemning a preschooler. You can though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member