VERDICT WATCH Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the jury foreperson polls the jurors, do they have to vote? I wouldn't be able to vote until I sifted through the evidence, even if I already felt a certain way. I don't know how long that would take. And I would be grateful for opposing opinions to challenge me in the jury room because it's such an important decision. Whichever way it goes, I won't be happy, because either way, families have been destroyed. Little children have been murdered. Older children have lost parents. What a heavy burden to be on this jury.

My brother was on a jury for a rape trial. He said that even though they all thought he was guilty, they couldn't find him guilty because they didn't feel the prosecution proved it. Imagine that being on your conscience for life. Imagine being the juror who thinks Merritt is guilty but the state failed to prove it. Then imagine being the only one. I'm glad I'm not in that jury room.

I’m sure the jury member could vote ‘undecided.’

It was explained to posters that you were called away because your child was sick.
It was also explained that you would be working with someone who would then post the info.
I hope your kiddo is ok. Have a special needs child , as well , and they ALWAYS come first !
Did we miss something and if so what please? Also Thanks!

When you see a verdict come in in 2 hours, it's because the jurors are in sync. Elect a foreman, take a poll, all agree, do the paperwork, knock on the door with a note you've reached a verdict, judge, lawyers & other interested parties assemble in the courtroom - then the jury emerges with the paperwork. Obviously this jury isn't in sync or maybe there's a hold-out. Maybe they elected a foreman that wants to discuss the evidence (ours did).

I also think this jury will want to ensure both sides feel the jury has given enough thought and enough time into the verdict. They wouldn’t want Merritt to think they sent him up the river without considering all the evidence. Likewise, they wouldn’t want the McStay family to think they didn’t consider everything before letting the man accused of brutally murdering their entire family walk free.

Did we miss something and if so what please? Also Thanks!
Cabo was going to go to the closing arguments and text me so I could post and tweet her information. She went all the way to the courthouse, found parking and got to the elevators and her child’s school called for her to come and pick up the child. She felt really bad, but the closings were being live streamed anyway, so it wasn’t like she was letting anyone down. Besides, kids always come first.

Cabo was going to go to the closing arguments and text me so I could post and tweet her information. She went all the way to the courthouse, found parking and got to the elevators and her child’s school called for her to come and pick up the child. She felt really bad, but the closings were being live streamed anyway, so it wasn’t like she was letting anyone down. Besides, kids always come first.
Absolutely! I was a little behind and much appreciate you responding. Is she or someone being bullied? Because the posts I read indicated as such prior to your response. Thanks again!

Absolutely! I was a little behind and much appreciate you responding. Is she or someone being bullied? Because the posts I read indicated as such prior to your response. Thanks again!
I think someone was questioning why she never ended up posting from the courthouse or something. Maybe even in a manner suggesting she had been deceptive about going there. I’m not really sure. I miss a lot of the innuendo because I’m not privy to posters’ relationships with each other. Sometimes a post is a jab at someone but it goes over my head. Maybe I’m just slow, I dunno.

If the jury foreperson polls the jurors, do they have to vote? I wouldn't be able to vote until I sifted through the evidence, even if I already felt a certain way. I don't know how long that would take. And I would be grateful for opposing opinions to challenge me in the jury room because it's such an important decision. Whichever way it goes, I won't be happy, because either way, families have been destroyed. Little children have been murdered. Older children have lost parents. What a heavy burden to be on this jury.

My brother was on a jury for a rape trial. He said that even though they all thought he was guilty, they couldn't find him guilty because they didn't feel the prosecution proved it. Imagine that being on your conscience for life. Imagine being the juror who thinks Merritt is guilty but the state failed to prove it. Then imagine being the only one. I'm glad I'm not in that jury room.
When the jury foreman took the 1st poll, we all voted by writing yes or no on a piece of paper, folded shut & put in a pile for privacy. The polling just establishes if all agree or disagree - if all agree it's a done deal.

I also think this jury will want to ensure both sides feel the jury has given enough thought and enough time into the verdict. They wouldn’t want Merritt to think they sent him up the river without considering all the evidence. Likewise, they wouldn’t want the McStay family to think they didn’t consider everything before letting the man accused of brutally murdering their entire family walk free.
Excellent points. I couldn't agree more.

When the jury foreman took the 1st poll, we all voted by writing yes or no on a piece of paper, folded shut & put in a pile for privacy. The polling just establishes if all agree or disagree - if all agree it's a done deal.
Did the foreperson read the folded papers privately?

I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm older and would be excited to have meaningful conversations with adults as opposed to talking to my kid and pets. I didn't mean it in a bad way at all. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

no offense taken ... that's why I laughed
I'm basically retired only because I'm going through cancer treatment and it is definitely good to have an outlet at WS

I know but what if I said I would like to review the evidence before even voting? I guess I would have to vote not-guilty even if I didn't necessarily feel that way.

I know but what if I said I would like to review the evidence before even voting? I guess I would have to vote not-guilty even if I didn't necessarily feel that way.
9 voted guilty (I was a guilty) 3 not guilty. Then we spent a week convincing the 3 nots that he was guilty. Discuss & bring out the evidence. The nots finally got it in the end - they just didn't trust themselves till they talked about it over and over again. You'd be a not. Just to add, not guilty's don't let on because everyone would know who the hold-out is - so it's best if you vote privately.

no offense taken ... that's why I laughed
I'm basically retired only because I'm going through cancer treatment and it is definitely good to have an outlet at WS

good luck with the treatment :)

WS is a secret obsession of mine... well, maybe not so secret .... everyone that knows me, knows I follow cases and will ask me about a case when there is a big national news story... so I guess it used to be a secret obsession LOL Over the years, my hubby will randomly ask me... did you guys solve it yet? :confused: smarta$$.... one day I will have to answer with a heck yeah just to see his reaction LOL

good luck with the treatment :)

WS is a secret obsession of mine... well, maybe not so secret .... everyone that knows me, knows I follow cases and will ask me about a case when there is a big national news story... so I guess it used to be a secret obsession LOL Over the years, my hubby will randomly ask me... did you guys solve it yet? :confused: smarta$$.... one day I will have to answer with a heck yeah just to see his reaction LOL

thanks
it's a not-so-secret interest of mine too
today at the dentist I was checking this thread continually even though I couldn't sign in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scroobius