VERDICT WATCH Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Already started reading, whoa, friend of the husband who owed a favor? Geesh! And then the husband arrested?o_O
It isn't a Cliff Notes case. It has so many nuances and peripheral crimes and characters that it requires some serious studying. I've followed it since the beginning, the trial should be very interesting.

It isn't a Cliff Notes case. It has so many nuances and peripheral crimes and characters that it requires some serious studying. I've followed it since the beginning, the trial should be very interesting.
I'm already finding that out! Definitely NOT a cliff notes case by a long shot.

So I am curious...

Are the closing statements pretty much what you expected to hear? Are you hearing anything different? Anything surprising?

I have walked away from my computer for a few hours and have been thinking about it... I don't think I heard much that I wasn't expecting to hear. The one thing that I didn't go back to but am pretty sure I saw right yesterday was that the Prosecution seems to have moved away from Chase taking the Trooper on the morning of the 8th to later in the day, in OS's they used the morning from 7 something a.m to 1:30pm, I know this because we discussed it in length here lol The 2 same key thing I guess as well, but I didn't hear that, it was from reading posts this morning, McGee said this morning that there was no testimony about that and I don't recall it either (and I have a pretty good memory :D )

I actually thought the defense would bring up more, but I guess there is only so much time lol I'm not surprised by anything that was brought up though... oh and... the SAVINGS in the Feb 1st email, was somewhat explained by Maline today... he said that it was 'potential savings' depending on supplies/manufacturing cost and it was additional money that Chase could have made on the projects (paraphrasing because I don't even know if it's been uploaded yet). I know some had been wondering about that and I know that I didn't know what it meant, so it stood out to me. Take it or leave it as an explanation IMO

Nothing has really changed my mind about guilt (I'm still not convinced either way) and whether I think the State proved it BARD. I thought maybe the State could pull it together for me, and it could be that I just do not like some of these lawyers that they couldn't pull me over even if they were covered in chocolate at this point :D Interestingly enough, Maline has not been my favourite either, his voice annoys me (usually sounds like an angry little elf lol), but I found him most engaging today and it wasn't until about half way through that I realized why... he wasn't using a power point, he wasn't turning away from the jurors... once he stopped fiddling with the computer... and I have a hard time believing the jurors weren't 'engaged', they didn't have a screen to stare at and read instead of making eye contact with the lawyer speaking. I cannot believe that we didn't have anyone there "reporting" what the jurors were doing, how they were responding to the lawyers, this has been such a different trial to follow in every sense.

All JMO :) of course... lol

So I am curious...

Are the closing statements pretty much what you expected to hear? Are you hearing anything different? Anything surprising?

I have walked away from my computer for a few hours and have been thinking about it... I don't think I heard much that I wasn't expecting to hear. The one thing that I didn't go back to but am pretty sure I saw right yesterday was that the Prosecution seems to have moved away from Chase taking the Trooper on the morning of the 8th to later in the day, in OS's they used the morning from 7 something a.m to 1:30pm, I know this because we discussed it in length here lol The 2 same key thing I guess as well, but I didn't hear that, it was from reading posts this morning, McGee said this morning that there was no testimony about that and I don't recall it either (and I have a pretty good memory :D )

I actually thought the defense would bring up more, but I guess there is only so much time lol I'm not surprised by anything that was brought up though... oh and... the SAVINGS in the Feb 1st email, was somewhat explained by Maline today... he said that it was 'potential savings' depending on supplies/manufacturing cost and it was additional money that Chase could have made on the projects (paraphrasing because I don't even know if it's been uploaded yet). I know some had been wondering about that and I know that I didn't know what it meant, so it stood out to me. Take it or leave it as an explanation IMO

Nothing has really changed my mind about guilt (I'm still not convinced either way) and whether I think the State proved it BARD. I thought maybe the State could pull it together for me, and it could be that I just do not like some of these lawyers that they couldn't pull me over even if they were covered in chocolate at this point :D Interestingly enough, Maline has not been my favourite either, his voice annoys me (usually sounds like an angry little elf lol), but I found him most engaging today and it wasn't until about half way through that I realized why... he wasn't using a power point, he wasn't turning away from the jurors... once he stopped fiddling with the computer... and I have a hard time believing the jurors weren't 'engaged', they didn't have a screen to stare at and read instead of making eye contact with the lawyer speaking. I cannot believe that we didn't have anyone there "reporting" what the jurors were doing, how they were responding to the lawyers, this has been such a different trial to follow in every sense.

All JMO :) of course... lol

I prefer Maline's style. I don't like being yelled at. His presentation is more of an conversation. But i also don't like being lied to, so there is that. :rolleyes:

I prefer Maline's style. I don't like being yelled at. His presentation is more of an conversation. But i also don't like being lied to, so there is that. :rolleyes:

Today his voice was good, it surprised me, I was dreading having to listen to him LOL But out of the 3 so far ... not including MR because it was so short and will wait to see tomorrow... he seemed the most engaged with the jury IMO As for what he was saying, I agree with some, disagree with some, but it's the same for the State, I agree with some, disagree with some. It's pretty much a wash for me... after 5 months of my life I will never get back :mad: :p

It’s a CF for sure but I trust you will have time to catch up before trial! May I interest you in crepes and mimosas while you read?!

I have been a juror, although never on a murder trial. It never bothered me when an attorney used a powerpoint, or turned away to change the screen or whatever. I found it comforting and helpful to have a screen filled with important information, especially in closing arguments. It is informative and jurors want data and solid information.

What I didn't like was when an attorney was staring, in my face, wanting to lock eyes while they went on and on. I don't find that engaging if it goes on for too long. It is fine for a few important moments here and there.

But I felt that he was rambling on, and kind of all over the place, when he was standing right in front of the jury staring at them. I am not sure they were 'feeling it' all that much. But I could be wrong.

I felt like the DT was being hypocritical by slamming the PT for going for sympathy and emotion, instead of facts. And then Maline pulled a bunch of emotional theatrics and manipulative antics, himself, imo. Putting the family's picture up, and pretending to get all emotional, as CM, right on cue, pretends to tear up too. And the long awkward silence, was if they were too emotional to continue...:rolleyes:

It wouldn't have been so annoying if they both hadn't just called out the PT for mentioning the child's birthday, accusing them of exploiting sympathy etc. And that paled in comparison to that stunt with the family picture and fake tears.

Already started reading, whoa, friend of the husband who owed a favor? Geesh! And then the husband arrested?o_O
Oh Bernina, The Dr. Teresa Sievers' murder is an incredible case. Trial was scheduled to start in June but has been delayed. We are hoping September. Yes indeed, we'll herd up the old gang. As a group, we have enjoyed/suffered many trials together over the years.

Last edited:
I believe they won’t be deliberating this first Friday.

Yes, one of the jurors has a class and I think another has something (was hard to hear them) but judge didn't tell them he was upholding what he said at the outset (no court on Fridays *until* deliberations), he just 'understood'. Judge is an ol' softy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine