ACTIVE SEARCH JAPAN - Patricia "Pattie" Wu-Murad, 60, US Citizen, on hiking trip Kumano Kodo Trail, didn't arr next stop Osaka, 10 Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How do we know that stream where the backpack was found runs south?
It seems to go in that direction from the Google Street Views of the current in the area where her backpack was found.

So she was upstream from there (likely) when her backpack entered the water, which may have been on-land most of the time but then washed into the stream during the typhoon or she fell in, or it was tossed in by a third party. It is very easy to get lost hiking but I also wonder how she wouldn't have realized before she got that far upstream from that village. She would be passing landmarks that were not on her plan and a quick look at the map and she would have known.

Because I'm not good with directions, excuse me if this makes no sense...

Is it possible she took the wrong trail, thinking it was the correct one, got off that wrong trail, and tried to navigate back to safety/the trail based on improper knowledge of her beginning location, then ending up in the vicinity of the backpack?

Because I'm not good with directions, excuse me if this makes no sense...

Is it possible she took the wrong trail, thinking it was the correct one, got off that wrong trail, and tried to navigate back to safety/the trail based on improper knowledge of her beginning location, then ending up in the vicinity of the backpack?
We will likely never know. When you're lost you can do irrational things. There is certainly a scenario where she walks a long way, realizes she is lost and will not be able to backtrack because she won't have a place to stay- so she tries a shortcut to get herself back on track.

Another Japanese language article.

Using Google Translate, it said the backpack was in the stream, which was about 4 km (about 2.5 miles) away north of the village. The fisherman collected it and looked in it, and took a photo. After going home and checking, he reported it to the police. The police retrieved the backpack the next day.

Here’s a picture of the backpack from the news article.
IMG_0481.jpeg

I still think it’s quite odd that it was missing most of its contents. Even with a rip in the side, which I believe was reported, having walked a pilgrimage myself, there would be things stored in all sorts of pockets in that bag. It’s unlikely that it all would have tumbled out of every zip pocket unless the rip was very large. I suppose it’s always possible that the bag was found on land though, someone dug through it looking for valuables, may even have found her name inside, panicked and tossed it in the river.

I notice the backpack in my last post looks rather clean, and is on a sheet of plastic. The caption to the photo translated to, “A backpack that seems to belong to Patricia (provided by the prefectural police)”.

There’s two photos on the HelpFindPattie FB page of the backpack where it looks dirtier and on gravelly ground. I wonder if those two were taken by the fisherman? Just speculating. MOO
IMG_0482.jpeg

As to the question of why it would have been virtually devoid of contents, could it have been emptied by Pattie herself? Maybe she was injured and immobile or stuck somewhere but was able to open and make use of what was in the backpack (food, extra clothes, first aid supplies, etc) for a time? :(
MOO

That one chest strap clip (Upper left of the image in the post above) looks badly mangled, compare it to all the other clips in the picture. If she took this off in the normal way then it should be pretty much like all the others (assuming it was undamaged at the start of the trip).

That one chest strap clip (Upper left of the image in the post above) looks badly mangled, compare it to all the other clips in the picture. If she took this off in the normal way then it should be pretty much like all the others (assuming it was undamaged at the start of the trip).
I wonder if that clip could also have gotten stuck between some rocks in its time in the river, being pulled by the current. That could cause some damage, depending on the speed of flow and how the clip got caught.

I am a believer as I have experienced it.

I don't think the causes reflect a deep mental condition. Rather, it stems from the sudden transition from "having fun" to "lost- and alone".

On the time in question, I "memorized" my map- yeah right, before giving it to another hiker who wanted to turn back. Then.... there was the deliberately twisted trail sign pointing in the wrong direction.

The end result, is that I "tunnel visioned" as dusk started to fall. I literally could not see the over all terrain and could not act on the fact that the trail head was at a lower elevation. I could only see what was in front of me. I wasted time going in repeated circles on a mesa.

Before light faded completely, I made a dash down the mesa, out of the park and to a rural paved road. Fortunately, a friendly rancher gave me a ride to the one stop sign town- civilization at last!
most people who hike know that what the actual trail looks like and what you see on a map can diverge- an unexpected tire or RV track (is that a trail?), a missing marker, a tree down, and if you have not been on the trail before, you second guess yourself, and if it is getting dark or getting rainy, it causes stress IMO... yes check a compass or app or the sun...if there is any sun at the time.

I thought the keeper of the place she stayed the previous night either walked her to the trailhead that morning or pointed it out to Pattie because it could be a little tricky to find.... Iirc.

Does anyone else remember discussion about that?
yes and she left relatively early- before the other hiker at the B&B and he never came across her when he left later...

Backpack found that belongs to Pattie.

Update from Murphy:

On September 15, a person who was fishing in Totsukawa village found a backpack in a stream.

He found Pattie's email (which is more or less her name) and her family's home address written on a ziplock bag inside the backpack, and he reported it to the Gojo Police Station.

The next day, on September 16, with the guidance of the fisherman, police retrieved the backpack and stored it. The backpack was mostly empty, with the exception of the ziplock bag and gravel.

After a further search of the area around the original site, police also located a single shoe downstream from where the backpack was found.

The items were located in a stream northeast of the Mandokoro guesthouse, where she was last seen.

This information was passed along to Kirk and Murphy on September 17, and Murphy was able to confirm the items belonged to Pattie based on a photo her mother shared with her earlier in her trip to Japan (see photos).

Over the next few days, additional items were found, most of which the family could confirm belonged to Pattie. There have been no new updates since September 20. However, the police have recently released information to local media outlets. The family has been in contact with local volunteers who still live in Totsukawa village as well as members of the US SAR volunteer group.

Map with red outlines is areas police searched. The one without is last place she was seen and where the backpack was found.

Note: The original SAR trial is more extensive and covers more area than the police maps.

#helpfindpattie #notgivingup
that her name, address, email etc was found intact in a zip lock and otherwise the pack was empty does seem weird.... unless PM lost footing with her pack open and the ziplock with her info was in a separate dedicated closed pocket. IMO.

I still think it’s quite odd that it was missing most of its contents. Even with a rip in the side, which I believe was reported, having walked a pilgrimage myself, there would be things stored in all sorts of pockets in that bag. It’s unlikely that it all would have tumbled out of every zip pocket unless the rip was very large. I suppose it’s always possible that the bag was found on land though, someone dug through it looking for valuables, may even have found her name inside, panicked and tossed it in the river.
Some people buy packs with lots of zip pockets, I don't because I forget what is in/or supposed to be in, all those zips and pockets and it's a huge waste of time looking in them all...plus I sometimes forget there is a 'hidden pocket', leading to believing I've lost something important! I purposely found and bought a camino pack with just one shallow top zip pocket for raingear, everything else I keep in one compartment, in clear plastic bags packed in order of likely need, ie lunch on top, etc. I carry all valuables on my person, none my packs, and use a fanny pack around my waist for my phone, snacks, etc.

I notice they haven't said the pack straps were fastened. I think that means she was unlikely to be wearing it when it entered the water, those buckles are very secure.

JMO

Last edited:
I wonder if that clip could also have gotten stuck between some rocks in its time in the river, being pulled by the current. That could cause some damage, depending on the speed of flow and how the clip got caught.
I agree. Just like airlines don't want to deal with any loose straps or buckles that could get caught up in machinery, a pack with loose straps will likely get caught up in rocks or branches, meanwhile the constant 24/7 pressure of flowing water will wear down the weakest part of the pack, which can't be predicted, it depends on exactly how it's oriented, what's in the pack, etc. But the power of water is very different than how gravity works.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NVWoman
Back