Found Deceased CO - Amy Ahonen, 38, Golden, 8 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was in this area yesterday-my family and I drove up from Boulder to Breckenridge. (BTW, there were lots of missing person posters up there for her.) The terrain on that road is very rough and rugged. Lots of big rocks, just the type of stuff you wouldn't attempt without having equipment. I don't mean climbing equipment, just normal hiking stuff. Someone who is a local and who hikes and knows the area wouldn't attempt those trails without her backpack. Do we know what she was wearing? Also, the river is very swollen and rapid to the point of dangerous. I just don't see someone getting out of their car, taking nothing, and going for a hike. I don't see it at all. People here who hike are smart about it, especially someone her age. I don't know y'all...this case freaks me out. Something went very wrong and I'm not sure the police are giving it the attention it deserves.

I wonder if there is more to this than we know, if she was successful and or have a relatively good career it may have been quite a shock to the system to then have to work at Red Lobster which I assume is a food establishment?

I'm not judging anyone, but it seems odd, she has the web-site, but I know for experience that it can be hard to make a buck in one's chosen field sometimes.

I also wonder if she was single or perhaps had a recent breakdown in a relationship hence the Craigslist roomy thing as well.

This information seems like a backward step for her, or was she just trying to survive these harsh times.

Having a turbulent time can put people under a lot of pressure.

I agree, after looking at her website and her credentials - it must have been a let-down.

I was in this area yesterday-my family and I drove up from Boulder to Breckenridge. (BTW, there were lots of missing person posters up there for her.) The terrain on that road is very rough and rugged. Lots of big rocks, just the type of stuff you wouldn't attempt without having equipment. I don't mean climbing equipment, just normal hiking stuff. Someone who is a local and who hikes and knows the area wouldn't attempt those trails without her backpack. Do we know what she was wearing? Also, the river is very swollen and rapid to the point of dangerous. I just don't see someone getting out of their car, taking nothing, and going for a hike. I don't see it at all. People here who hike are smart about it, especially someone her age. I don't know y'all...this case freaks me out. Something went very wrong and I'm not sure the police are giving it the attention it deserves.

Do you know if people in the area, especially a woman, would leave there car parked along side the road and go on the trails alone? Seems a risky thing to do.

Red Lobster is not really fast food....more of a nice, sit-down seafood restaurant. No drive-thru or anything like that.

Alot of good information in this article: http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-co...n-craigslist-advertise-room/story?id=14097560

Amy was looking for a roommate to try to save some money. A neighbor said that Amy said the person responding to the Craigslist ad who scared her was a tall, black man, so couldn't be Travis Forbes.

Also, there seems to be good info on the Facebook page for her, with people updating and answering questions frequently. They've stated several times that LE did not have contact with her on Friday night, only her car.

Do you know if people in the area, especially a woman, would leave there car parked along side the road and go on the trails alone? Seems a risky thing to do.

That's common. I run on trails alone (with a dog) and it's just part of the culture for people to do that. Even though you are "alone", you come across so many people while hiking that you don't feel alone. But having said that, I've never gone on a substantial trail without a pack and my phone.

FYI - it was Sarah Townsend
Found Deceased NJ - Sarah Townsend, 18, Burlington, 9 May 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I can relate to feelings about getting involved in another missing person's case....

Don't think Amy's is a suicide. Also don't want to get caught up in tunnel-vision focusing upon the person just released from jail (as likely as that is) since the timing might just be a coincidence...
Oh no, I didn't mean it to sound like I thought she committed suicide, I just meant it (the details) reminded me a lot of Sarah Townsend. Poor girl.

I still find it very odd all her belongings were in the car, I mean if I were to even stop and jump out to take a quick picture of something I'd take my keys with me, even if I was only going a few feet. But then again I'm that way, I know there are much more trusting people than I am. It's just odd imo, and with the added info that everything was under the seat, so even if she was, say, going on just a short little hike, why leave her phone and keys behind?? :waitasec:

Also I find it odd that her car was there, unlocked, from Friday to Monday, and no one found that worth looking into? Just seems strange to me, but then again I live in a pretty urban area where I doubt a car sitting on the side of the road for 4 days would go unnoticed without investigation, even if it had already been "tagged" by police.

That's common. I run on trails alone (with a dog) and it's just part of the culture for people to do that. Even though you are "alone", you come across so many people while hiking that you don't feel alone. But having said that, I've never gone on a substantial trail without a pack and my phone.
I understand what you mean, I also run and walk on local walking trails, but I ALWAYS have my keys, phone, and pepper spray with me. I couldn't imagine going out in the woods without anything but the clothes on my back and leaving my car unlocked with all my personal effects in it. :confused:

Alot of good information in this article: http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-co...n-craigslist-advertise-room/story?id=14097560

Amy was looking for a roommate to try to save some money. A neighbor said that Amy said the person responding to the Craigslist ad who scared her was a tall, black man, so couldn't be Travis Forbes.

Also, there seems to be good info on the Facebook page for her, with people updating and answering questions frequently. They've stated several times that LE did not have contact with her on Friday night, only her car.

We don't know how many men might had reply to her ad.

This don't rule out Travis for me.

Oh no, I didn't mean it to sound like I thought she committed suicide, I just meant it (the details) reminded me a lot of Sarah Townsend. Poor girl.

I still find it very odd all her belongings were in the car, I mean if I were to even stop and jump out to take a quick picture of something I'd take my keys with me, even if I was only going a few feet. But then again I'm that way, I know there are much more trusting people than I am. It's just odd imo, and with the added info that everything was under the seat, so even if she was, say, going on just a short little hike, why leave her phone and keys behind?? :waitasec:

Also I find it odd that her car was there, unlocked, from Friday to Monday, and no one found that worth looking into? Just seems strange to me, but then again I live in a pretty urban area where I doubt a car sitting on the side of the road for 4 days would go unnoticed without investigation, even if it had already been "tagged" by police.

I wasn't sure if you thought Amy might have committed suicide... but we really don't know since leaving keys in her car, and unlocked, and not sure if her cell phone was in it as well - all very odd... IIRC Sarah Townsend had left her car running and a note inside it...

Here's the link again to the Find Amy Facebook page (it on the first page of this thread).

In one of the links, her sister did mention that they came from "the city" (which IIRC is Detroit) and that Amy always locked her doors. She found the unlocked vehicle very strange as well.

I wasn't sure if you thought Amy might have committed suicide... but we really don't know since leaving keys in her car, and unlocked, and not sure if her cell phone was in it as well - all very odd... IIRC Sarah Townsend had left her car running and a note inside it...

Here's the link again to the Find Amy Facebook page (it on the first page of this thread).
That's ok. :) I really don't know what I think, or to think. But whatever it is I think, it doesn't make me feel good. :( But somehow I don't think she just up and went out into the woods and disappeared, all by herself. I guess she could have stopped to look at the creek, slipped and fell in and been carried away from reports of how the creek was at the time. I guess in my mind I'm trying to use the water as to maybe why she didn't have her phone with her. We all know how much those things love water. I've had to replace at least one. But I don't know otherwise, how would this guy who is being talked about accidentally find her out there unless he somehow followed her, and what girl in her right mind would randomly meet some stranger out in a location like that? Just thinking out loud here.

And of course there is the possibility that she committed suicide, we don't know how her new interior design business was doing and having to work at Red Lobster along with her own business sort of says to me she wasn't doing really well, although I've worked two jobs before to help pay off bills, but I did because I wanted to, not because I had too.

Yes, reports were Sarah left her car running, door open, and LE found a note.

In one of the links, her sister did mention that they came from "the city" (which IIRC is Detroit) and that Amy always locked her doors. She found the unlocked vehicle very strange as well.
Thanks! I had seen that and wanted to comment about it and then somehow forgot. I guess maybe one could argue she could have felt safe(r) out there so she didn't always lock her doors, but having something like that ingrained in you from growing up it's a hard act to break.

That's ok. :) I really don't know what I think, or to think. But whatever it is I think, it doesn't make me feel good. :( But somehow I don't think she just up and went out into the woods and disappeared, all by herself. I guess she could have stopped to look at the creek, slipped and fell in and been carried away from reports of how the creek was at the time. I guess in my mind I'm trying to use the water as to maybe why she didn't have her phone with her. We all know how much those things love water. I've had to replace at least one. But I don't know otherwise, how would this guy who is being talked about accidentally find her out there unless he somehow followed her, and what girl in her right mind would randomly meet some stranger out in a location like that? Just thinking out loud here.

And of course there is the possibility that she committed suicide, we don't know how her new interior design business was doing and having to work at Red Lobster along with her own business sort of says to me she wasn't doing really well, although I've worked two jobs before to help pay off bills, but I did because I wanted to, not because I had too.

Yes, reports were Sarah left her car running, door open, and LE found a note.[/QUOTE]

bbm was that report in media?

Yes, reports were Sarah left her car running, door open, and LE found a note.

bbm was that report in media?
Yes, it was, but I was referring to Sarah Townsend, not Amy. I was comparing the similarities of their belongings being left in an unlocked car and clarifying for OldSteve. Sorry if it was confusing.

Im in colorado, and I know where I live that the high rivers this year have claimed alot of bodies. One wrong step on the edge and you wont get out.

No, I'm not saying that this rules out Travis altogether, just that the man who responded to the Craigslist ad and attacked her couldn't be him according to the description Amy gave her neighbor. Others had briefly speculated this after news about the Craigslist incident came out.

I think this Craig's List thing is a redherring. I mean, this was several months ago in March, I believe, when she was looking for a roommate. So now, she has a roommate, who's the last person to see Amy, about 1:30 that afternoon.

Surely the roommate knows more. What mood was she in? What were her plans for that day?

Who is this roommate? How did she meet her? Was the Craig's List ad for ANOTHER roommate, or was it pre-the present roommate?

What time did this motorist, who claims to have seen Amy and a companion, see them and what did the male look like?

Lots of questions. We need more verified information from the LAST TWO people to have claimed they saw Amy before she disappeared.

JMHO
fran

This article says:

Ahonen put an ad on Craigslist in February and March looking for a roommate, according to her close friend Kacey Wilkins.
Ahonen met two men who were potential roommates at her condo's community room, Wilkins said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28597095/detail.html

So maybe there is another Craigslist guy (or maybe two showed up at once, it's unclear).

Also says LE is looking at traffic cameras from near her condo to try to determine whether she was alone when she left in her car.

I think the odds are that whatever happened to Amy likely happened where her car is, but I also wonder if somebody could have known Amy often went to the Clear Creek area and took her car there after committing some sort of crime against her. Maybe he left the car there to throw investigators off the track. The area where Amy's car was found is relatively remote so you'd think there would have to be another vehicle involved if this happened. We have seen people abducted and cars left in out of the way places before, most notably to me was Mackenzie Cowell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truth Exposed
Back