GUILTY CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, killed, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982 *arrest in 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gray Hughes revealed on his live stream tonight that Alan Phillips physically assaulted a hitchhiker on the night of July 2, 1973. Phillips, who was living in Fairplay at the time, picked up the victim in Breckenridge and took her to a cabin near Fairplay. He beat her with his hands and a rock. Eventually he dropped her off at the intersection of Colorado State Highway 9 and US Highway 285. The location and circumstances are very similar to the murders of Annette and Bobbie Jo almost nine years later. I think it is likely that he has other victims.

Sorry I missed this, but it's great news that Gray is covering this. Will have to listen.

Nov. 7, 2022
DENVER — A man convicted of killing two women who disappeared near a Colorado ski resort town nearly 40 years ago after DNA testing identified him as a suspect was sentenced on Monday to two terms of life in prison after the women’s relatives called for the maximum punishment for the slayings that forever changed their families.
[.....]
Broome said he would impose a life sentence without the possibility of parole for each of the two women, ordering them to be technically served one after the other, rather than at the same time, to allow the maximum penalty under the law. Prosecutors had asked for that to allow the loss of each woman’s life to be recognized.

There are witness statements in the article. One by his daughter....

I'm not quite sure of his timeline, but I wondered about Shelley Kay Robertson. She was found near Georgetown, which is in Clear Creek County where Phillips lives. I still personally think that Bundy might be responsible for Shelley's murder but I wanted to double-check all possibilities.

Or even these disappearances and murders.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Jane Doe
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Shannon MacLean
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Linda Hutchings
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Patricia Lilly
Was there any DNA from the killer? Now that Alan Lee Phillips has been caught, DNA taken and proven to have killed the 2 women from Breckinridge, CO, all of those cold cases of disappearances and murders from the 1980s - 2015s in Colorado should be checked out for killer DNA. Perhaps it might be Phillips'.

So awful, though. Two lives taken, dying alone, in pain, at the hands of a monster. I think we’ve become somewhat inured to it, as it seems commonplace these days.

Why? Why was it necessary to wreak such violence on two women just going about their lives? And why does he get to go on with his life, even if confined, while the ones he took are gone from this earth. For good. Their families bereft of their love and companionship, their grandchildren.

Sorry for the philosophical musings. I just find the “justice” meted out here to be rather lacking. Not much more than a perfunctory article at the close of the trial. No highlighting of who these two women were. No real notice from the world of the horrific wrong done them. And Alan Phillips has lived his life fully, being imprisoned only toward the end of life.

No justice!
More than likely, he has more victims out there, somewhere. I sure hope they are found and he is convicted on them as well. 40 years living as a serial killer.....there have to be more! Open up those cold cases of disappearance/homicides with DNA, Colorado police departments!

So awful, though. Two lives taken, dying alone, in pain, at the hands of a monster. I think we’ve become somewhat inured to it, as it seems commonplace these days.

Why? Why was it necessary to wreak such violence on two women just going about their lives? And why does he get to go on with his life, even if confined, while the ones he took are gone from this earth. For good. Their families bereft of their love and companionship, their grandchildren.

Sorry for the philosophical musings. I just find the “justice” meted out here to be rather lacking. Not much more than a perfunctory article at the close of the trial. No highlighting of who these two women were. No real notice from the world of the horrific wrong done them. And Alan Phillips has lived his life fully, being imprisoned only toward the end of life.

No justice!

I just want to mention that last night's 2nd hour of Dateline was about this case, and they did a lovely job of highlighting who Bobby Jo and Annette were and how the case was solved. Lots of interviews with their families etc.

I was not familiar with the case, but I found it very well done.

No justice!

I just want to mention that last night's 2nd hour of Dateline was about this case, and they did a lovely job of highlighting who Bobby Jo and Annette were and how the case was solved. Lots of interviews with their families etc.

Yes, so was 48 hours.

Oh darn! I’d have loved to watch, many years traveling over the pass and time on both towns since childhood. Quit hitchhiking after Ted Bundy came to Aspen in the mid 70’s

I just checked the latest episode on their web site and it wasn't there. Had to watch about 6 commercials. Darn. Well, will watch for it to rerun some day.
I see it there "Last seen in Breckinridge" if you have software, you have to disable it.

If you go to this website, I believe this is the Allan Phillips you are looking for information about. This is the Colorado Dept. of Corrections. In this site however, they have his name spelled Alan, not Allen. CDOC Offender Search

I see it there "Last seen in Breckinridge" if you have software, you have to disable it.

Darn, still no luck. I found it at the link, but have to subscribe to Paramount TV if I want to watch it. I wouldn't mind subscribing, but like Peacock (NBC's version) you're just paying a monthly subscription to watch re-runs. Oh well.

Here's an article - but I can not access it...

Can someone give a 10% synopsis on it - I would like to update my notes!
TIA! :)
Thank you Niner!
Short article rehashing a bit of his crimes and sentencing, only saying died earlier this week in prison
Crowley County coroner states no foul play involved, very light on any detail
Originally spotted on Gray Hughes tweet who recounted it from a writer who has spent a few years writing a book
Can’t recall writers name, he informed Gray he’d jumped headfirst off a 30 foot plus high walkway and lived another 30 minutes before being pronounced dead
The Arkansas Valley Corrections website had no information I could access
Will help checking Denver news

Last edited:
Thank you Niner!
Short article rehashing a bit of his crimes and sentencing, only saying died earlier this week in prison
Crowley County coroner states no foul play involved, very light on any detail
Originally spotted on Gray Hughes tweet who recounted it from a writer who has spent a few years writing a book
Can’t recall writers name, he informed Gray he’d jumped headfirst off a 30 foot plus high walkway and lived another 30 minutes before being pronounced dead
The Arkansas Valley Corrections website had no information I could access
Will help checking Denver news

Thanks for that bit of info!

Can’t recall writers name
Jackson, most likely, one of the many sources from which Grave Hyena has looted "his" information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back