CO CO - Candace Hiltz, 17, Fremont County, 15 Aug 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is the copper hiding the evidence to save someone if so why hasn't he destroyed it or is it some ghoulish thing he's into like collecting things from big cases he's been involved in I don't know but his actions are very wrong [emoji848]
How would a cold case team solve this case with evidence hidden in this idiots storage unit SMDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"(S)ome ghoulish thing he's into like collecting things from big cases he's been involved in" was the first thing that came to my mind, too, but I also find it interesting that Robbie Dodd stopped paying on the storage unit. It makes me wonder he kept the evidence in his possession all this time just in case he wanted to get back at someone at some point -either a co-conspirator, if Dodd himself is responsible for Candace's murder, or the real culprit(s), who asked him to dispose of the items-, the time came, and he wanted the evidence found.

Another possibility is that Dodd just figured he would never get caught since he had gotten away with it for so long, and was confident that even if the evidence was to be discovered in the manner it was, he would be able to bully whomever into giving it up (it doesn't sound like the Sheriff -Dodd's boss- is exactly excited about the recent turn of events, and according to Mr. Ratzlaff, "(A) relative of Dodd’s sent a Facebook message to Ratzlaff seeking to buy everything in the locker back because she said it contained 'childhood memories'). Maybe Dodd was so convinced no one would ever come after him no matter what, this more or less became like a game that he enjoyed so much (i.e., "Ha, ha, I have all this evidence, but they can't touch me!") and he just couldn't get rid of the items. Sounds crazy, but this whole thing sounds even crazier, so ....

http://www.chieftain.com/news/5537906-120/ratzlaff-unit-storage-beicker

Good questions - also they need to investigate County Sheriff's Office Lt. Det. Robert Dodd for all the cases he worked on. What else did he hide or do illegally?

Not just Dodd, but the Sheriff himself, IMO: "The sheriff warned Ratzlaff that his life could be in danger, Ratzlaff said. While he was looking around the shed, Beicker [the Sheriff] pointed to a backpack and said it was linked to the case. The sheriff refused to touch the green backpack, but asked Ratzlaff to pick it up and look inside. It held Candace Hiltz’s blood-stained shirt, Ratzlaff said. (BBM)

Was the Sheriff hoping to implicate Mr. Ratzlaff?

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/06/candace-hiltz-colorado-cold-case-murder-evidence-hidden/

Since there were boxes of stuff in the locker, there is no telling how much evidence was there for this case or maybe even more cases.
BBM

On December 30, Ratzlaff was contacted by Beicker. Ratzlaff said that Beicker admitted over the phone that the evidence was connected to the 2006 murder of Candace Hiltz. Beicker then asked to meet Ratzlaff at the storage unit.

Ratzlaff’s wife recorded their meeting at the unit. You can listen to that full recording here. Warning: There is inappropriate language in the recording.

“Ten minutes after I left, he called me and asked how to get out of the (locked) gate” at the storage unit. So I told him, and then I went back and sure enough everything was gone,” Ratzlaff stated.

Ratzlaff kept some of the evidence and handed it over to CBI Agent Julie Petterson.

http://www.krdo.com/news/top-storie...on-following-storage-unit-discovery/268646472

How much trauma can one family be expected to take? My goodness this family has suffered :(. Hope justice will finally come.

Thank you so much for starting this thread, Roselvr. Just finished reading all of the posts, and had chills run down my spine. I hope that those responsible (I am fairly certain there is more than one involved in this) are caught soon and that justice is done swiftly.

I cannot imagine the anguish -and fear- Candace's family must have been living in, and will probably continue to for some time to come. I am really afraid to say too much myself given what I have read about this Sheriff's Office, as well as the prosecutors in the case.

With everything that's going on I'm shocked they may not reopen her case.

"(S)ome ghoulish thing he's into like collecting things from big cases he's been involved in" was the first thing that came to my mind, too, but I also find it interesting that Robbie Dodd stopped paying on the storage unit. It makes me wonder he kept the evidence in his possession all this time just in case he wanted to get back at someone at some point -either a co-conspirator, if Dodd himself is responsible for Candace's murder, or the real culprit(s), who asked him to dispose of the items-, the time came, and he wanted the evidence found.

Another possibility is that Dodd just figured he would never get caught since he had gotten away with it for so long, and was confident that even if the evidence was to be discovered in the manner it was, he would be able to bully whomever into giving it up (it doesn't sound like the Sheriff -Dodd's boss- is exactly excited about the recent turn of events, and according to Mr. Ratzlaff, "(A) relative of Dodd’s sent a Facebook message to Ratzlaff seeking to buy everything in the locker back because she said it contained 'childhood memories'). Maybe Dodd was so convinced no one would ever come after him no matter what, this more or less became like a game that he enjoyed so much (i.e., "Ha, ha, I have all this evidence, but they can't touch me!") and he just couldn't get rid of the items. Sounds crazy, but this whole thing sounds even crazier, so ....

http://www.chieftain.com/news/5537906-120/ratzlaff-unit-storage-beicker

Good question. Why did he let the storage go? I don't know how late he was with paying and whether or not the storage sent him a letter that it would be auctioned if he didn't pay. I doubt he got an auction letter; had he, he would have borrowed money to pay it or removed the items. I think this all came as a surprise to him, that's why the items were taken after the 2 cops met with the new locker owner.

As to who could be involved, it's been said on the family post that 2 local girls may have killed her. As for the incident when Candace threatened the cop; I found where her mother said she sent Chief Beicker her formal complaint 10 years ago with pictures of the evidence that she and two of her sons bagged. It also covered the verbal altercation between Candace and Tracy Hall the week before her death. 2 young in training officers that she doesn't know the name of were there with him.

As to what officers were there the day she was murdered, in post #30 of the family post, her mother says "my son Casey made the mistake of telling detectives Briscoe and Dodd about it, these Detectives were responsible for this crime scene. They left all the evidence."

Her mother is very active on the FB posts -

Canon City Daily Record News February 4 at 11:33am ·

Fremont County Sheriff's Office denies second records request: http://bit.ly/2kzYA1L

So you have a huge cover up involving the top of the Sheriffs dept. Now say case closed? Never turned over to unsolved. Why? Funny over the years when I asked was told Candaces murder was a active investigation. Both Dodd and Briscoe said that. Biecker put an inexperienced person on this case also. Yet I know of a very experienced officer at the time who was not allowed access to my home. Odd to put a rookie when you have someone who worked homicide in a city? Lots of WHYS?

I am not confident of a CBI investigation. The day of Candaces murder they were here and to take over scene. Was told that about 7pm. Then for some reason they turned it over to Dodd and Briscoe. Who destroyed all they could. CBI has not contacted me at all. Even now with Dodd having items with unknown unrelated DNA they have not bothered to speak to me.

What the ?? is going on in CO??? A woman is shot to death in her home, nearly in the same room with a terminally ill disabled baby. The police dept shows up, picks up one or two things and is out the door in a few minutes leaving behind 90% of the crime scene unprocessed. In most places that would get you fired, suspended and disciplined by some type of governing body. The state investigative branch shows up, but they don't have time to deal with it (I guess) and hand it right back to the locals, who have already proved they don't care or are too untrained to know how to process a crime scene and start an investigation. Then BOXES of evidence are removed from the sheriff's dept and disappear - unless of course, as it appears, they already knew where it was going. Then - then - you "forget" to pay the rental on the unit holding the boxes of bloody evidence. I don't find it that surprising that local LE was that incompetent or corrupt - I saw it in the same small town I grew up in. But the fact that the state investigation agency has never addressed it, followed up on it, reprimanded anyone or INVESTIGATED - as their name implies - I find appalling. Shame on them.

Candace sounds like a very smart, determined young woman that had no intention of backing down from a challenge. And if she had seen someone doing something they were not supposed to - cops taking bribes, money, drugs - they would know that she would definitely not back down from telling on them if provoked. I don't think the girls that were mentioned as possible suspects have anything to do with this - this is a man's crime IMO - baby in the crib. Also, the local LE would have no interest or reason in covering up for anyone but themselves. This case has been mishandled from day one and there are several people and agencies that need to be called on the carpet for it. Maybe if enough noise is made, one of the crime shows will cover it and bring it to national attention. From what I've seen, it's gotten more coverage in the UK than here.

Prayers for Candace's mom and family. No one should have to go thru this.

This story is totally nuts.
I hope the press stays interested so the local LE are thoroughly investigated and someone with outside authority is able to get to the bottom of what all has been allowed to happen in that department and with this case.

Glad to be following this thread. Worked at FCSO in the 90's with Robbie Dodd and Jim Beicker (although he was not Sheriff at that time).

Effort to recall Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker approved
BY TRACY HARMON - APR 27, 2017 UPDATED APR 27, 2017

Elections Clerk Jami Goff said the committee has until June 26 to gather 4,166 signatures to take the recall issue to a vote.

Goff said interested successor candidates can file their petitions for format approval on the day that the recall petition is ruled insufficient or sufficient. If the petition is insufficient, the Fremont Freedom Fighters would have an additional 15 days to get the signatures needed to take the issue to a recall vote.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/puebl...cle_9c28d327-6c28-5498-9755-4316b6d33b18.html

Woo Hoo!! Maybe the CBI will come in and clean house!

Apparently Dodd retired then moved to Texas.

Fremont County sheriff's lieutenant retires following evidence investigation

By Dustin Cuzick*|*Posted: Mon 9:35 PM, Apr 24, 2017 *|* Updated: Tue 6:21 AM, Apr 25, 2017

CANON CITY, Colo. (KKTV) - UPDATE (4/24): Fremont County sheriff's Lt. Robert Dodd has retired after a Canon City man says he found evidence from a 2006 unsolved homicide in a storage unit he bought at an auction.

In January, Sheriff Jim Beicker announced he was on paid administrative leave.

"As a result of that investigation we have placed Lieutenant Robert Dodd with the Fremont County sheriffs office on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of that investigation," Beicker said.

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/UP...llowing-evidence-investigation-410887225.html

Who was Dodd's partner?

Effort to recall Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker approved
BY TRACY HARMON - APR 27, 2017 UPDATED APR 27, 2017

Elections Clerk Jami Goff said the committee has until June 26 to gather 4,166 signatures to take the recall issue to a vote.

Goff said interested successor candidates can file their petitions for format approval on the day that the recall petition is ruled insufficient or sufficient. If the petition is insufficient, the Fremont Freedom Fighters would have an additional 15 days to get the signatures needed to take the issue to a recall vote.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/puebl...cle_9c28d327-6c28-5498-9755-4316b6d33b18.html

Petition circulating to recall Fremont County Sheriff - By: Angelica Lombardi
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 05:38 PM MDT
"When I saw them doing nothing about all the officers besides putting them on a paid vacation, I figured it was time to do something about it," said Rick Ratzlaff, who organized the petition.

and made the connection, and showed Sheriff Beicker.

The victim's mother, Dolores Hiltz, says she and her family will sign the petition.

"I will sign it and so will my friends. I think the sheriff is in way above his head and he goes along with just shoving it under the carpet rather than dealing with it," Hiltz said.

In order for the petition to pass, the group will have 60 days* to gather 4,166 signatures from registered Fremont County voters.

http://www.krdo.com/news/fremont-co...ng-to-recall-fremont-county-sheriff/469057959

Hi, just marking my spot from other side of world. This is crazy. Absolutely unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who was Dodd's partner?
I'm on my cell and am not seeing it on google. I know its in the thread at city-data. Will try to grab it tomorrow.

I googled then picked thru most of the thread on City-data that her sister in law started in 2008, her mom used to post on it too.

Back when Candace was murdered, Dodd and Briscoe were put in charge of the scene/ case. I'm not seeing it mentioned who his partner was before he was put on leave. He was a lieutenant, would he have had a partner?

Facebook post by Canon City Daily Record News - Posted February 4 ·

Fremont County Sheriff's Office denies second records request

Candace's mom DH replied -
Thank you. I am not confident of a CBI investigation. The day of Candaces murder they were here and to take over scene. Was told that about 7pm. Then for some reason they turned it over to Dodd and Briscoe. Who destroyed all they could. CBI has not contacted me at all. Even now with Dodd having items with unknown unrelated DNA they have not bothered to speak to me. February 8 at 1:55pm

From the City-Data thread. To go directly to the quote, click the arrow next to her name
My daughter Candace Hiltz was murdered on August 15, 2006. So many years have pasted with No real investagation done. Her case has never been handed over to un solved crimes. Why? It is simple. The crime scene was miss managed. All evidence left there as they chased my son James up and down mountains. They did not crime tape the house. On August 18 police allowed me to go to my house. I arrived to the back door open. The blanket her dead body had laid on the 15 still there. A shot gun casing still sitting in my granddaughters cradle. All was as the 15th. On the 19th my son Jonathan bagged and labled a 20gal rubbermaid tub of evidence filled to the top. We planned on sending this to a lab in Boulder. Fremont convisgated this as my son Casey made the mistake of telling detectives Briscoe and Dodd about it, These Detectives were responsible for this crime scene. They left all the evidence. In the days after my daughters murder at least 3 people entered my home. Comprimizing all the evidence. They knew the day she died that 2 gunmen entered my home the 15th. That Candace was fired on from 2 directions similtanisly dying instantly. She suffered two blasts to the back and right of her head by shotgun. The left of her body was numerous 22 blasts. All hit her while standing. These killers put her on the blanket to move her. At the end of the hall she must have went into death tremors. They put her down and a after death chest shot by the shotgun occured than. That shows me the killers had never hunted. They would of known what death tremors were. The casing in the cradle was from that shot. These detectives also know that unrelated DNA is connected to this case. So years go by. Bits and pieces come to me. People to afraid to speak to police. Two killers walk free thanks to shoddy police work. So do not feel safe Fremont County. Among us walks free 2 murderers. They have too commit a felony for DNA to be taken. That means they could kill again.

Article mentioned who met Rick at the storage unit -
Contents sold at auction after deputy failed to pay bill - BY TRACY HARMON THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN BY JON POMPIA THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN Jan 13, 2017

"He says, 'I hear you have a storage unit that used to be an officer's.' I said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Can I get it?' and I said, 'I don't know.' He said, 'Well, your life could be in danger here.'

"It was like a threat," Ratzlaff said.

Ratzlaff said Beicker asked to meet him at the storage unit. Beicker showed up with Fremont County Sheriff's Cmdr. Jeff Worley, and Ratzlaff was with his wife, Arin Reed.

Article is no longer online
CBI investigating found evidence - Items contained in a storage unit may be related to Candace Hiltz homicide - By Tracy Harmon The PUeblo Chieftain - Published: January 14, 2017; Last modified: January 14, 2017 10:46PM

In a statement released by the Fremont County Sheriff’s office, CBI officials indicated they were “requested by the Fremont County Sheriff’s office to investigate an incident involving apparent evidence discovered at an off-site facility in December 2016. Because this is an active investigation, the CBI will not offer comment on the work being conducted by agents from the Bureau’s Pueblo Regional Office.”

The evidence is apparently connected to the murder of Candace Hiltz, 17, who was found slain Aug. 15, 2006, in the family home 25 miles southwest of Canon City. She was the victim of multiple gunshot wounds.

Ratzlaff alleges the evidence was recovered by Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker and Commander Jeff Worley on Dec. 30, when he met the two at the storage unit. Ratzlaff said he was told by Beicker that Worley would stage an officer at the unit until CBI agents could arrive, but when Ratzlaff returned a short time later, he said the evidence was already gone and “there was not enough time for someone from CBI to come and take it.”

CBI Agent Julie Petterson interviewed Ratzlaff five days after the evidence was recovered. Ratzlaff said he gave her the remainder of the evidence he had taken to his home.

Although CBI officials confirm they are investigating, it still leaves in question who has the evidence. An email inquiry sent to Beicker Saturday went unanswered.

Editing to add - another great article that anyone new to this case should read; it also tells about their dog that was axed a few days before Candace was murdered.

Mother talks about mishandling of her daughter's murder case - By Tracy Harmon The Pueblo Chieftain Jan 16, 2017

CANON CITY -- Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker said Monday that he has placed sheriff's Lt. Robert Dodd on administrative leave after it was reported Saturday by The Pueblo Chieftain that evidence in a gruesome decades-old murder case was found in a storage unit formerly rented by Dodd....

.... Beicker confirmed in his statement that on Dec. 30, he and Commander Jeff Worley "did briefly look at the evidence in the storage locker and immediately contacted CBI regarding the matter. With their consultation, we catalogued, photographed, collected and secured the items, moving them into the Fremont County evidence storage.

"On Jan. 3, the CBI sent two agents to meet me and they took over all the evidence. Because it's an active investigation, until it is complete I will be unable to give any further information," Beicker said.....

....Fremont County Sheriff authorities responded more than an hour later. Then-Fremont County Coroner Dr. Dorothy Twellman followed as did agents with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. At some point, Detective Bruce Briscoe told her that authorities believed her son James Hiltz, then 29, was a person of interest in the case and they mounted a search to find him.

"I still think this is going to be a real investigation," she said.....

...Fremont County Sheriff authorities responded more than an hour later. Then-Fremont County Coroner Dr. Dorothy Twellman followed as did agents with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. At some point, Detective Bruce Briscoe told her that authorities believed her son James Hiltz, then 29, was a person of interest in the case and they mounted a search to find him.

"I still think this is going to be a real investigation," she said.

During a four-hour interview at the Florence Police Department, Dolores Hiltz said she was repeatedly asked who her son was hanging out with. She answered, "No one. He won't even talk to his brothers."....

.... "Later, Briscoe showed up with a search warrant and asked where the container of evidence was and I gave it to him," she said....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back