Found Deceased CO - Christine Cummings, 32, possibly hiking, Fort Collins, 29 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Poudre Canyon is located Northwest of Fort Collins. Apparently only Christine’s hiking boots are missing and the rest of her hiking gear was located at her home.

JMO

Attachments

• E63A5FBF-74A8-439B-ADD0-91E25F13FF10.jpeg
    E63A5FBF-74A8-439B-ADD0-91E25F13FF10.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 49
  • A4C88961-B368-4384-808A-70174949B755.jpeg
    A4C88961-B368-4384-808A-70174949B755.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 42
Update: Missing Fort Collins woman's vehicle found in the Poudre Canyon
Miles Blumhardt
Fort Collins Coloradoan
7:05 AM MT • January 6, 2021

UPDATE: 6:15 a.m. Wednesday: Christine Cummings' vehicle has been found at a trailhead in the Poudre Canyon, according to a Facebook post by friend Melissa George around 6 a.m. Wednesday.

The post states that Larimer County Search and Rescue has started a search and that authorities ask that volunteers wait to help with the search because of safety risks.

Friends of Christine Cummings said the Fort Collins resident's uncharacteristic disappearance for more than a week has them gravely concerned about her well-being.

They fear Cummings, 32, who moved to Fort Collins a couple years ago to be closer to the outdoors she loved, may have ventured into the outdoors unprepared.

~snip

More at link:
Missing Colorado woman's vehicle found in Poudre Canyon

Last edited:
I was also surprised her Jeep hadn't been found until today. People seem to think CO is buried in snow (we're not), but these roads are heavily traveled and rangers check in often to trailheads. The last couple of weeks have been pretty mild with snow. We had a few storms but nothing major. It has been cold though so it's taking longer than usual to melt off. Roads are totally clear though. Obviously more snow in the mountains than in FOCO where she's from. I hope they find her! I can't decide if she just somehow got lost or hurt?! If there's snow out there it would be easier to find her way back to a trail, so I'm leaning more towards hurt and stranded.

From FCPS:
Police have located Christine’s Jeep parked in the Pingree Park area of Poudre Canyon. FCPS is working with Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services, Larimer County Search and Rescue, and Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol to search for Christine in this area. Due to safety concerns related to the terrain, volunteer assistance is not needed.

Anyone who has been in the Pingree Park area since 12/29 who may have seen Christine is asked to contact police with any information that may help search efforts.

We will provide updates as they become available. Whenever possible during FCPS investigations, we are committed to providing updates to family members first before we share info with the general public. Thank you for your patience and continued care and concern in this case!

Missing in U.S. National Parks and Forests

There are no street views in the area but the pin drops are gorgeous. Some pin drops from November 2020 look like the area was affected by the wildfires we had in Fall. Not that the area at the trailhead looks steep enough, but if you get closer to steep canyons a land/rockslide or avalanche is more possible after wildfires.

Google Maps

Hopefully her picture is circulating on some hiking community social media pages. Some hikers will follow those, but might not pay attention to the news. Hopefully someone will report passing her on the trail, assuming she went hiking. IMO

From FCPS:
Police have located Christine’s Jeep parked in the Pingree Park area of Poudre Canyon. FCPS is working with Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services, Larimer County Search and Rescue, and Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol to search for Christine in this area. Due to safety concerns related to the terrain, volunteer assistance is not needed.

Anyone who has been in the Pingree Park area since 12/29 who may have seen Christine is asked to contact police with any information that may help search efforts.

We will provide updates as they become available. Whenever possible during FCPS investigations, we are committed to providing updates to family members first before we share info with the general public. Thank you for your patience and continued care and concern in this case!

Huh. Some comments from the FB page owners here are pretty interesting

I was in Pingree on Saturday 1/2. It was very quiet up there, not much traffic, and quite a bit of it is closed off due to the Cameron Peak fire. I do not recall seeing her jeep anywhere, so I'm curious where exactly it was located. I've reached out to FCPS.

I was also surprised her Jeep hadn't been found until today. People seem to think CO is buried in snow (we're not), but these roads are heavily traveled and rangers check in often to trailheads. The last couple of weeks have been pretty mild with snow. We had a few storms but nothing major. It has been cold though so it's taking longer than usual to melt off. Roads are totally clear though. Obviously more snow in the mountains than in FOCO where she's from. I hope they find her! I can't decide if she just somehow got lost or hurt?! If there's snow out there it would be easier to find her way back to a trail, so I'm leaning more towards hurt and stranded.

Appears to be good search conditions today -- clear sky from this view.

Live Webcam Fort Collins, Colorado, USA: Panorama View

Last edited:
January 4 at 2:04 PM ·
UPDATE 1/6/21 - 10:29a:
We've received messages indicating that the SAR team has been called back to base. We will update with new developments.

UPDATE 1/6/21 - 7:07a:
We have placed a call to Larimer County Sheriff's Office, and the Public Information Officer was able to confirm that Larimer County is involved in a search and rescue effort. At this time, LCSO is unable to confirm in which area they are searching and for whom. They indicated that this is a Fort Collins Police Services (FCPS) investigation; we will release newer information as it becomes available. We placed a call to FCPS, and a detective will be calling us back with more information. We have changed location details for Christine's record to reflect Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest, with a last known location of Poudre Canyon. A Sergeant from the FCPS returned our call at 8:20a PST, indicating that SAR is on-site and that other details can be provided by LCSO. FCPS is involved as the home agency for this case. As of 8:24a on 1/6/21, no official law enforcement report has been made indicating that anything more than her vehicle has been found.

[..]

Doggo?
From FCPS:
Police have located Christine’s Jeep parked in the Pingree Park area of Poudre Canyon....
@osu Thx for your post & link. This link* has an undated pic of CC w small white dog on her lap. It's next to pic of Jeep (actually "eep" ;) w a bunny rabbit at passenger side rear tire.)

If the dog is hers & still living, and if she planned to be away for a loooong day or overnight, did she ---
- Arrange for someone to care for it at her home?
- Drop off at kennel/doggy care/friend's house?
- Take w her on hike on trail? Decided it was too cold/wet to take on trail, so left dog in blankets in Jeep?
{{{ETA:
Or did CC not plan to be away long enough for dog to need care?
Or did she have no chance to arrange for dog care?
Or was CC taken involuntarily from her home or other location, e.g. grocery store?}}}
Where is the dog?

Skimming so fast on this thread & links, I may be ;)ticketed for speeding;), so couldda missed any references to dog.
Hoping she is found safe and soon.

* Christine Cummings remains missing since December 29, 2020 in Rocky Mountain National Park or surrounding area — Missing in U.S. National Parks and Forests

Last edited:
Fort Collins Police Services

With a heavy heart, we have an update in the missing person case.
A deceased woman, believed to be Christine Cummings, has been located by search and rescue teams.
On the afternoon of January 5, 2021 a utility worker reported a vehicle matching the description of Christine Cummings' missing Jeep. The Jeep was parked at the Emmaline Lake trailhead in the Pingree Park area. Law enforcement responded and confirmed that it was the missing woman's vehicle. Search efforts began immediately with assistance from Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services, Larimer County Search and Rescue, and Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol.
On the morning of January 6, search teams canvassing the area located a deceased female, presumed to be Cummings. The Larimer County Coroner will officially release the woman's identity, as well as cause and manner of death, at a later time. Based on the facts and evidence gathered during the investigation, foul play is not suspected.
"This community showed a truly remarkable outpouring of support in the effort to locate Christine," said FCPS Chief Jeff Swoboda. "We share your grief in this tragic loss of life, our deepest condolences are with Christine's family and everyone impacted by this heartbreaking outcome."
Anyone with information about this case, who has not already spoken to police, may contact Detective Marty Shaw at 970-416-2051.

Definitely a clear day. I was reading SAR has been called back to headquarters though. What does that mean? On a nice day to search I don't think they'd be called back unless they had answers.

I wonder if they located her? Sounds like the search started quickly after finding her vehicle at the trailhead. They at least had a solid starting point. IMO

ETA: I see she's been found deceased. Terrible.

Missing Fort Collins woman Christine Cummings' body found | 9news.com

Jan 6, 2021

LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. — Law enforcement said a body was found Wednesday while they were searching for a missing Fort Collins woman. The body, believed to be Christine Cummings', was found in the Pingree Park area after a utility worker spotted her Jeep Wednesday morning at the Emmaline Lake trailhead.

The trailhead is near the CSU Mountain Campus. It is about an hour and 45 minute drive from Fort Collins.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021

A deceased woman has been located by search and rescue teams near the area where Christine Cummings missing Jeep was found. The vehicle was located on January 5 at the Emmaline Lake trailhead in the Pingree Park area.

During the search on Wednesday, teams located a body of a woman and is presumed to be Christine Cummings.

Larimer County Coroner will be releasing the woman's official identity and cause of death at a later time. Based on evidence during the investigation, foul play is not suspected at this time.

Read More: Woman's Body Found During Search for Christine Cummings | Woman's Body Found During Search for Christine Cummings

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back