CO - Columbine High School, 13 murdered, 24 injured, 20 April 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi everyone. I'm kinda new around here (new at posting, with quite a history of lurking), so please bear with me!

I do have compassion for this woman, it's terrible what happened, just terrible. But I want to know where she went wrong in her parenting, because, like most people, I see incidents like these as lessons in life. We can all learn from this. What was wrong with those boys? What could the parents have done differently? What could the school have done differently? Ultimately, what can WE do to ensure that we don't end up in a similar situation?

I know that when we try too hard to look for who did what wrong, we also err. Sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control. But I really don't think that is the case in most situations. If most of us agree that how a child turns out is in part due to their environment, and in part to their nature, then we have to agree that parents have a huge part in determining who their children turn out to be. And this is not just because of the intimacy of the relationship we share with our children, but also because we choose the environment that they grow up in. Maybe it's simplistic thinking, but to me, that means that my parenting could turn out a truly magnificent person (unless he is born evil), but that my influence on my child could also create a monster (unless he is born with a truly angelic character).

So I guess I have to read the Oprah article to see what Klebold's mom has to say about it. Is it online, or do you guys see it going online at any point in the near future?

Hi everyone. I'm kinda new around here (new at posting, with quite a history of lurking), so please bear with me!

I do have compassion for this woman, it's terrible what happened, just terrible. But I want to know where she went wrong in her parenting, because, like most people, I see incidents like these as lessons in life. We can all learn from this. What was wrong with those boys? What could the parents have done differently? What could the school have done differently? Ultimately, what can WE do to ensure that we don't end up in a similar situation?

I know that when we try too hard to look for who did what wrong, we also err. Sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control. But I really don't think that is the case in most situations. If most of us agree that how a child turns out is in part due to their environment, and in part to their nature, then we have to agree that parents have a huge part in determining who their children turn out to be. And this is not just because of the intimacy of the relationship we share with our children, but also because we choose the environment that they grow up in. Maybe it's simplistic thinking, but to me, that means that my parenting could turn out a truly magnificent person (unless he is born evil), but that my influence on my child could also create a monster (unless he is born with a truly angelic character).

So I guess I have to read the Oprah article to see what Klebold's mom has to say about it. Is it online, or do you guys see it going online at any point in the near future?

Welcome, Celeste! I don't know if this article is online. I would like to read it too.

It made me cry too. With that said, I have always had a bit more respect for the Klebolds, they seemed to really care about the community was going through and really regret what happened with Dylan. This article really reenforces my view of Mrs. Klebold.

JMO, IMO, :moo: , and all other disclaimers...

:tears:"I would ask him to forgive me, for being his mother and never knowing what was going on inside his head, for not being able to help him, for not being the person he could confide in."

Very sad article. It just goes to show that the perp's family suffers as much as the victim's.

I am so sad for the Klebolds, all over again. I cannot imagine having to face what their son did, face him having committed suicide, and do it all with the anger of a nearly an entire nation aimed at you. They must have been - and probably still are - so completely alone in their grief and pain. :rose:

I am just very surprised they stayed in that house. That had to take a great deal of courage. God bless them.

:tears:"I would ask him to forgive me, for being his mother and never knowing what was going on inside his head, for not being able to help him, for not being the person he could confide in."

Very sad article. It just goes to show that the perp's family suffers as much as the victim's.

That statement hit me hard too. Sounds like she is blaming herself. And then when she said she prayed her son would die, I just lost it. :tears:

Very sad.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...or-16th-anniversary-of-deadly-school-shooting

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - Columbine High School will be closed on Monday, the 16th anniversary of the deadly shooting at the school.

However, there will be a moment of silence and a reading of the names of those lost in the tragedy at the HOPE Columbine Memorial Library at 11:20 a.m.

Twelve students and teacher Dave Sanders were shot and killed at the school on April 20, 1999.

The two teenage gunmen, students at the school, committed suicide.

Principal K.C. Somers sent a letter to the Columbine High School community earlier this month that said the school would continue the tradition of not holding classes on April 20.

16 years....wow. My baby was just a baby then.....:(

It is hard to believe it has been 16 years since Columbine. Felt like yesterday. :( :tears:

RIP. This was one of those defining moments for me... events from growing up that will always stick with me. The first was the Oklahoma City Bombing. This, I was older, knew more... but understood way less. How could kids hardly older than me hurt so many people? And then 9/11. Our world is way to violent. babies killing babies :-(

RIP. This was one of those defining moments for me... events from growing up that will always stick with me. The first was the Oklahoma City Bombing. This, I was older, knew more... but understood way less. How could kids hardly older than me hurt so many people? And then 9/11. Our world is way to violent. babies killing babies :-(

I always thought Columbine was related to the Oklahoma City Bombing. It was all over the news before 9/11.

Appropriate and safety conscious decision, IMO.

Wasn't sure where I could put this and didn't find it anywhere on a search although I'm sure it's here somewhere. One of the shooters mother's is speaking out on 20/20 this Friday 2/12/2016.

Here is a clip
http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member