CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point about access to online account & she maybe referring to the last text rec'd/sent, which I believe was 8:01. Bender says "sometime" Sunday evening. So it doesn't necessarily mean 8:01 the phone quit on the spot so to speak.

Not to be rude, but the admin on the FB page does not seem to know anything we do not know.

The whole scent thing baffles me beyond description. What would be the point of having dogs scent at a spot, if not scenting for a specific person? It makes it sound as though the dogs alerted to the fact that someone had been at the intersection, but that LE has no way of knowing who. Am I reading this wrong? Or did they take a bunch of items from the home and the dogs are "saying" that someone from the home had been there?

So this may be a stupid question. I've been wondering for awhile. How do we know LE does not have Dylans actual phone? I mean has LE or anyone else said the phone is missing? I understand the backpack is missing but LE said something like 'we're looking at the phone'. I think we assumed they meant the phone records, but it sounds as if they mean the actual physical phone.

They didn't find the phone during the search of the house, so how would it be possible for LE to have it?

Not to be rude, but the admin on the FB page does not seem to know anything we do not know.

The whole scent thing baffles me beyond description. What would be the point of having dogs scent at a spot, if not scenting for a specific person? It makes it sound as though the dogs alerted to the fact that someone had been at the intersection, but that LE has no way of knowing who. Am I reading this wrong? Or did they take a bunch of items from the home and the dogs are "saying" that someone from the home had been there?

I think the scent thing is one of the two scenarios that you described.

1. They may have given the dogs a blanket that he slept with, but other scents would have been mixed in. So they cannot verify that it is specifically Dylan's scent.

2. They have dogs that will track the most recent human scent trail leaving the area. K-9 cops often have to use that method while on patrol. If a perp escapes during response to a burglary call or a home invasion, they set the dogs loose and expect them to track whichever scent they pick up that is the most recent. So if they did not have any clean scent items to use, they might have tried that method. Just asking the dogs to follow the most recent scent trail they can find might have been the only option at the time.

My belief is that they do not have a lot of confidence in that scent trail. If they really believed that Dylan had walked to that corner and then disappeared, then imo, they would have done some public comments about that specific corner and searched intensely right around that area. JMO

They didn't find the phone during the search of the house, so how would it be possible for LE to have it?

I don't know.
It's just a curious statement, 'we're looking at the phone'..., not phone records or phone company records. I just wondered.

How did "sometime Sun. evening" become 8pm.? And, are the LE, FBI, etc. taking ER's word for it concerning what is on the cell phone records? Haven't they seen them??

FWIW, I'm looking at when Dylan ceased all communications per his friends texts that were released yesterday.

There are different type of dogs. Air-scent dogs don't need an article of clothing and apparently don't follow a specific scent of a specific human. So if those were air-scent dogs, then yes, they would just alert to someone being at the intersection, but not clear who.

"Air-scent dogs, on the other hand, work with their nose in the air. They pick up human scent anywhere in the vicinity -- they don't need a "last seen" starting point, an article to work from or a scent trail, and time is not an issue. Whereas tracking dogs follow a particular scent trail, air-scent dogs pick up a scent carried in air currents and seek out its origin -- the point of greatest concentration."
http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/mammals/sar-dog2.htm

So this may be a stupid question. I've been wondering for awhile. How do we know LE does not have Dylans actual phone? I mean has LE or anyone else said the phone is missing? I understand the backpack is missing but LE said something like 'we're looking at the phone'. I think we assumed they meant the phone records, but it sounds as if they mean the actual physical phone.

There was a list for what to look for on the last search & I believe the cell phone was list as what to look for. Sorry no link, where is Ransom?

Good point about access to online account & she maybe referring to the last text rec'd/sent, which I believe was 8:01. Bender says "sometime" Sunday evening. So it doesn't necessarily mean 8:01 the phone quit on the spot so to speak.

Whatever the reason, communication appeared to have abrubtly stopped at that time.

There are different type of dogs. Air-scent dogs don't need an article of clothing and apparently don't follow a specific scent of a specific human. So if those were air-scent dogs, then yes, they would just alert to someone being at the intersection, but not clear who.

"Air-scent dogs, on the other hand, work with their nose in the air. They pick up human scent anywhere in the vicinity -- they don't need a "last seen" starting point, an article to work from or a scent trail, and time is not an issue. Whereas tracking dogs follow a particular scent trail, air-scent dogs pick up a scent carried in air currents and seek out its origin -- the point of greatest concentration."
http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/mammals/sar-dog2.htm

So is this a place where normally humans would not be? I can see the water being such a place, but an intersection?

Oh IMO, there is no paved road to heck (you know what I mean) so I would think he's still at his home.

LOL I hear ya but..... heres the but.... wasnt he away for some time before Dylan came because he was working.
He would come back every few weeks?
Does he have an apt? Maybe?

I had this niggling at the back of my mind for days.

If the scenario is supposed to be that somehow Dylan has fallen into the lake then where is his backpack and wouldn't he have been on or close to the shoreline? I can't see him fishing with it on and I can't see him fishing in in knee deep or more water.

IMO the Vallecito Lake is a red herring.

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required