CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hitchhiking was being discussed before the last thread closed. IMO Dylan's friends used the hitching in a snowstorm story as an example of his bravado - an example of a time when he had hitched a ride. I've posted this article several times now - Dylan's friends were interviewed as they were out posting flyers about a week after Dylan disappeared:

“We asked (residents) about any sheds or barns where he could take shelter,” F said.

The boys said Dylan wasn’t shy about hitching rides.

“Honestly, I think he was walking into Bayfield and got taken away,” he said.

W agreed.

“I don’t think he’s one to run away,” he said.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20121124/NEWS01/121129756/Mystery-lingers-over-missing-teen

IMO - the opinion of his mates, plus the fact that ER saw fit to have a conversation with Dylan about the dangers of hitchhiking before he left for his visit, indicates that the idea of his trying to hitchhike to see his friends is not so unbelievable.
:moo:

If he had been hitching, I think someone would have seen him. And I still don't think he would have left, when he had a ride. Hitching can take much longer, not a sure thing at all.

Plus, I do not think he would hitch without a working phone, or without contacting someone.

No baby yet guys. It'S only 3pm here and I head to hospital at 4pm. I won't start getting induced until 6pm so bub won't arrive until sometime on the 15th! Thanks for the concerns though lol :)

Good luck! Don't be so sure about the 15th though - I was induced 2 weeks early with my second. It all started at about the same time as you have said and my son was born before midnight! I do think they start inducing in the evening because they figure the doctor won't be needed until a more civilised hour the next day though :)

I finally found a link that confirms some of the things I've been wanting to say about cell phones, towers, pings and whatnot.

The best that LE can do with Dylan's phone is to get a general idea of where it was when it was used last. The towers aren't going to record the strength of the signal, so they will mainly just tell which tower was used for the calls (or texts in this case.) Even if his phone was turned on the entire time, the pings would not be recorded unless a call was made or a text sent. Each new ping will overwrite the one before it when the phone is not in use.

What can be traced is which towers were pinged during a specific phone call, or where the phone is currently in real time. With smart phones, and many others with GPS, the phone doesn't have to be turned on to be tracked, but regular cell phones without GPS do.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/12/cells-tracking.html

if Dylan's phone was turned on and law enforcement called his number...they could ping that phone.

moo is that obviously Dylan's cell phone wasn't able to provide details that lead to him.. while my opinion is that the phone was of no use, meaning it wasn't on to be able for it to provide enough pings to lead to its location(that location could quite likely be the same location as Dylan)..

with his phone either powered off or rendered no longer operable would be IMO why there is no available ping trail from shortly after 8pm Sunday, 11/18..therefor God only knows where either or both his phone and him were taken from the point of his phone no longer of any use in any tracking ability..

I do hope that MR's complete cell phone records are being forensically searched, if even to assist in clearing him thus allowing the investigation to progress forward..

no news unfortunately for this case IMO does in no way equal good news..in fact IMO if anything, it likely means just the opposite..

The hitchhiking was being discussed before the last thread closed. IMO Dylan's friends used the hitching in a snowstorm story as an example of his bravado - an example of a time when he had hitched a ride. I've posted this article several times now - Dylan's friends were interviewed as they were out posting flyers about a week after Dylan disappeared:

“We asked (residents) about any sheds or barns where he could take shelter,” F said.

W agreed.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20121124/NEWS01/121129756/Mystery-lingers-over-missing-teen

IMO - the opinion of his mates, plus the fact that ER saw fit to have a conversation with Dylan about the dangers of hitchhiking before he left for his visit, indicates that the idea of his trying to hitchhike to see his friends is not so unbelievable.

Have you seen the video where those same friends say that the time in the snow is the only time they know of that Dylan ever hitched?

W agreed.

I could buy that IF he had left a note, called or texted MR that he got a ride, maybe not have told him he was hitchhiking & his friend. Also that nobody saw him either walking or hitchhiking. Too many important factors that make me think it is not likely, but I do keep it in my mind as a possibility. I never say "never".

W agreed.

And the fact that it was their first reaction and thought makes it believable to me. jmo

if Dylan's phone was turned on and law enforcement called his number...they could ping that phone.

If the battery wasn't dead by the time they knew he was missing.

And the fact that it was their first reaction and thought makes it believable to me. jmo

There is no way to know whether or not that was their "first reaction". It just happened to be what the press ran with. I'm sure LE and parents asked these boys a ton of questions and if their parents are like most parents, there would have been the usual cautionary lectures to the boys about the dangers of hitching. Knowing Dylan was missing and potentially in danger probably had a lot to do with this line of thinking on the boys part. JMO, MOO

ETA: The boys have also stated they didn't believe Dylan would attempt to hitch to see them without calling first.

Well, what else would come to mind, really? That someone "stole" him from the house, or that his father harmed him? They were trying to make sense of a mystery. I am sure they have all been warned about strangers incessantly and that would be the first thing to come to their minds.

But I don't buy it. He either did not have a working phone, or simply decided not to make contact with anyone that morning, which seems ludicrous to me. And then, seemingly, the first vehicle that happens by is a child killer/kidnapper.

Yes, Dylan is a handsome boy, but that shouldn't matter. He is a missing child, like many others.

Still, his looks could probably keep in the media longer, if (both of) his parents make an effort. Many parents do not ever get the chance for interviews or TV coverage, and the interest in Dylan won't last forever, as something else always comes along.

IMO, his father is taking terrible advice or has something to hide.

I think that most parents of missing children just don't know how to deal with the media, how to maximize their child's coverage, simply because they have no experience. For example, celebrities also have a need to be in the media, to do interviews, etc. But they have PR people, publicists, etc to take care of that stuff for them. They have people working for them who are trained to get them as much exposure as possible. Parents of missing children don't have any of that. And I think that's why we see things like parents of missing teenagers announcing that they have run away in the past, or parents who are presumed to be innocent not talking to the media.

ETA: The boys have also stated they didn't believe Dylan would attempt to hitch to see them without calling first.

I didn't see that in the article, where did you read that?

Just wondering. Is there a school in the Vallecito area where MR lived? Because school was out for the holiday in Bayfield, so I presume school would have been out everywhere else.
Considering it is so isolated and rural where MR lives, why would a pedophile/SO/predator be cruising for kids near MR's house when there would be a lot easier locations to grab a child? And more of them available? Just doesn't connect for me.

I just don't see this happening. JMO and MOO and everything else that says it's all my opinion!

If he had been hitching, I think someone would have seen him. And I still don't think he would have left, when he had a ride. Hitching can take much longer, not a sure thing at all.

Plus, I do not think he would hitch without a working phone, or without contacting someone.

Not necessarily ... quiet rural road with homes set well back,far apart, and surrounded by trees. I figure he was annoyed with his dad for not taking him the night before, and may have wanted to show him he could get there himself.

I've also not understood the whole out like a light/nudged him awake debate. My 13yo is a heavy sleeper and very difficult to stir before he is fully awake. It doesn't stop me standing by his bed telling him what to do while I am out. He acknowledges me with a grunt or a cranky "yes!" when I harp on about whether or not he has heard me. IMO something similar could very well have happened with an overtired Dylan. Half an hour later he could have very well realised he had missed his ride and been even more annoyed with MR.

As far as Dylan not phoning anyone goes - maybe he just didn't choose to? I don't know how anyone can assume to know all about his phone behaviour based on a few brief comments from others. Another personal example - I'm currently holidaying in a beach house about 2 and a half hours from home. My mum and her partner are big time cell phone users - always upgrading to newer, better phones and always sending and receiving texts and calls. Yesterday at about 11am they just turned up here where I am staying! They drove 2 and a half hours on a whim and without calling first. I even asked mum if she had tried to call - but no, she hadn't.

Sorry to drift OT, but really we can't be sure how even people we know very well are going to react/respond at any given time. In Dylan's case we only know crumbs about all members of this family.

Dylan was traveling quite a ways to see his friend. I believe Dylan would definitely have called his friend, especially where he was late to make sure his friend knew he was on his way so his friend wouldn't go anywhere. He wouldn't want to take a chance getting all the way there & find nobody home but Grandma.

My good friend had a very scary experience. Her 15 yr old daughter ran away. She left a note saying that she needed ' a break' from her stressful life and would call when she could.

The cops treated it like a runaway case, obviously. But Los Angeles area is not a safe place for a pretty 15 yr old runaway. So her mom was very frightened.

I went with her when she went to her daughters school to talk to her friends because mom was very distraught and not thinking straight. Qe had her DD's laptop and the principal let us call in and question friends from her FB.

The reason I am telling you this is because of your statement above. One would think that a kids friends first reactions would be believable. But we heard some crazy remarks and some ideas that were way offbase.

Two of her very close friends told us that she probably OD'ed on heroin. I thought my freind was going to have a heart attack right there. She had no idea her DD was doing hard drugs.

the truth is, SHE WASN'T. She never did heroin or anything else. She smoked a little pot socially with friends, played a bit of beer pong. But NO heroin.

The kids said that because they thought she was acting stoned out the last time they saw her. But that was because she had been taking anxiety meds and had not told her friends. But the DR was adjusting the dosage and it was making her
too loopy and zombie like.

The point of this long post is that kids are kids. They take things and blow them out of proportion sometimes. You cannot automatically expect them to be correct about something like this, imo.

p.s.

My friends daughter was found a couple of weeks later hiding out at a friends house. The friend lived with her single father, and he never went into her room w/out knocking, so they were able to hide her there for a long time.

Have you seen the video where those same friends say that the time in the snow is the only time they know of that Dylan ever hitched?

I saw/heard the friend on the right say he'd seen Dylan hitch one time, then he turned to the other friend, and I could hear him only a little because of the wind sound. Did you (or anybody) make out what the other friend said? Thanks

I think that most parents of missing children just don't know how to deal with the media, how to maximize their child's coverage, simply because they have no experience. For example, celebrities also have a need to be in the media, to do interviews, etc. But they have PR people, publicists, etc to take care of that stuff for them. They have people working for them who are trained to get them as much exposure as possible. Parents of missing children don't have any of that. And I think that's why we see things like parents of missing teenagers announcing that they have run away in the past, or parents who are presumed to be innocent not talking to the media.

I agree that many parents are not media savvy. But i haven't heard of too many who wouldn't at least give it a go, when the media comes calling. I don't want to get started again, on how much this upsets me and how much I believe it to be a hugely poor showing for Dylan. None of the excuses I have heard for MR add up to even one good reason, IMO, to refuse the chance to talk about your missing child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayhartley90