CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing with juries is that they are privy to all the evidence (unless a prosecutor doesn't bring it up eg the C Anthony fiasco.

I sat on a jury a few years ago, we were all from different walks of life and with a variety of lifes experiences, we were able to reach a verdict based on the evidence that we heard.

But not everyone sees the evidence in the same way. Sometimes the evidence is not clear, other times it is. Or some might think there is reasonable doubt, and others have no doubt. I was on a jury once, too, and in the beginning there were some holdouts, but the more we deliberated, they finally went with the majority. You never know. In these days, with all the interest in CSI, juries are inclined to want absolute proof, with no doubts.

Just a reminder that Bob Harrod's case is being featured tonight on ID "Disappeared" show. Times are in my siggie. He's the 81 year old millionaire who married his first love in July of 2009, after being widowed. He was married a month when he disappeared without a trace after a heated family argument in which he told his 3 daughters that he was adding his new wife to his accounts. His new wife was back in her hometown packing up and getting everything ready to start her new life with her old time love.

I am praying Dylan is not found in the lake and he is alive somewhere. My hopes are seriously diminishing that Dylan will be found alive, but there is nothing wrong with hoping!

Absolutely nothing wrong with hoping. That's where I am. I don't even like speculating that Dylan is no longer with us. That's why I'm waiting for some answers before I decide where I stand.

Seems like moving cases to "Hot Cases" can be something of a jinx. No news in weeks and not much activity here either. It is a little harder to find than under "Missing" IMO.

Y'know- the hat never occurred to me. If he were placed in the lake with his backpack, I have no doubt his hat would be tucked inside. If accidental, you are correct- the hat should have been on his head and floated. I cannot imagine someone putting a body in a lake and then driving hundred(s) of miles to ditch a backpack....so I have always believed Dylan and his belongings would be found together. You make another good case against the accident at the lake theory!
BBM: IMO, in this area, I don't think you would have to drive far to ditch a backpack. It could have gone in any dumpster in the few days following his disappearance, be in the woods somewhere (there are a lot to choose from), be buried in a wood pile somewhere and not discovered for years...in that kind of area, I can think of dozens of places you could dump a backpack. But I also think Dylan and his belongings will be found together.

Hmm, along this line of backpack talk, I'm thinking fires. Campfires, fireplaces, all common in the mountains when it's cold. So IF you were to burn a backpack, would the zipper remain or would it all burn up ?
Depends on how hot the fire got. There would be an odd mass of plastic or metal if the zipper burned, but also if the backpack were made of nylon ripstop, there were be a small mass of weird plastic-y stuff if it burned/melted. (don't ask me how I know this...:) )There would also be remains from the phone (depending on the phone) or other things that would have been in the backpack. (most nylon hats melt down to a plastic-y mass) Easy to miss, though. And again, it depends on how hot the fire got. In my experience, if you light a nylon backpack on fire, it kinds of shrivels up and melts. If you leave it in a fire that has another source of fuel, it becomes a weird plastic ash (not like regular ash). Gosh, I miss those camp-outs with friends who don't pay attention to their kids.....

Depends on how hot the fire got. There would be an odd mass of plastic or metal if the zipper burned, but also if the backpack were made of nylon ripstop, there were be a small mass of weird plastic-y stuff if it burned/melted. (don't ask me how I know this...:) )There would also be remains from the phone (depending on the phone) or other things that would have been in the backpack. (most nylon hats melt down to a plastic-y mass) Easy to miss, though. And again, it depends on how hot the fire got. In my experience, if you light a nylon backpack on fire, it kinds of shrivels up and melts. If you leave it in a fire that has another source of fuel, it becomes a weird plastic ash (not like regular ash). Gosh, I miss those camp-outs with friends who don't pay attention to their kids.....

The fires get even hotter if you throw a can of hairspray in there, along with causing a few heart attacks. :hills: Not that we tried that or anything... :angel:

According to his facebook, his father died in mid February. I don't see any more posts about Dylan besides his initial couple of posts.

https://www.facebook.com/bobby.brown.9674?fref=ts

RE: The PI that ER hired -

According to an update on his FB page on March 19th he is now on a break from taping a reality show and is touching on some priorities that include DR's case. You can see the update that BB made at this link which goes directly to that comment.
https://www.facebook.com/bobby.brown.9674/posts/10151511375319759

BBM: IMO, in this area, I don't think you would have to drive far to ditch a backpack. It could have gone in any dumpster in the few days following his disappearance, be in the woods somewhere (there are a lot to choose from), be buried in a wood pile somewhere and not discovered for years...in that kind of area, I can think of dozens of places you could dump a backpack. But I also think Dylan and his belongings will be found together.

This is why I was questioning why there was no news of a landfill search a few threads back.

If he is found with his belongings I sure hope something gives a solid clue as to what happened to him.

All of my suggestions was a "might" because it isn't a given that any would happen during a death, just possible. As to DNA:
Vomit, yes.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-06-21/vomit-gave-police-dna-match-court-told/76840

Urine, not usually.
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/dna_forensics_2/06t.html

Feces, yes. http://www.hartnell.edu/faculty/jhughey/Files/dnaextractionfeces.pdf

Thanks much for all of the links - including the one about the diatom studies... Lots of fascinating stuff here. I appreciate your time looking it all up! :)

ETA: I see ColdHands is the one who put up the link in re: to Diatom testing. So, my thanks go out to BOTH of you for the links, and the research! :blush:

AZGrandma - I was wondering if you could perhaps shed a little light on something I read this morning on the FMDR Facebook site (it was actually posted several days ago). I'm not familiar with who is who in regard to those who post updates regularly, so I'm not sure with how much salt to take what I read with.. y'know?

There was a statement made by a woman named Katt about the Lake that has caused me a bit of confusion, but I realize it could be semantics, and not an actual confirmed statement. [For instance, someone may say we were "up at the cabin" when telling a story, but they were technically "in town" that is by the cabin.]

I don't remember if we can actually quote from the FMDR page official updates/photo captions, but I will link to the post I am speaking of below...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...555396767820264.144727.555378941155380&type=1

As far as I know, nothing has ever been said that would indicate the last place DR was known to be as anywhere other than at MR's home (rumors not withstanding). Do you believe the statement I linked above just contained an unfortunate choice of words, or could it be that this person is privy to information not shared with the public by LE, and made a mistake in mentioning it?

TIA!

I think you can paraphrase....

Are you referring to having gone missing at the lake?

I think you can paraphrase....

Are you referring to having gone missing at the lake?

Yes, exactly. I was thinking it may have just been an unfortunate choice of words when read by someone researching the case and being as focused as we all are here, instead of an actual statement of where he was last known to be. [We are more likely to examine every word, vs. understanding something in a general sense...]

I know when I was growing up, my friend had a cabin up in No. Wisconsin, and when she would relate stories to me after the summer she would always say something like, "I was up at the cabin", or "when I was at the cabin", but she didn't always mean she was literally at the dwelling, but was instead in town.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Yes, exactly. I was thinking it may have just been an unfortunate choice of words when read by someone researching the case and being as focused as we all are here, instead of an actual statement of where he was last known to be. [We are more likely to examine every word, vs. understanding something in a general sense...]

I know when I was growing up, my friend had a cabin up in No. Wisconsin, and when she would relate stories to me after the summer she would always say something like, "I was up at the cabin", or "when I was at the cabin", but she didn't always mean she was literally at the dwelling, but was instead in town.

You've rewritten my childhood! Reading your post made me realize that we never actually did fish, swim, skate, sled, ride horse or a lot of other things at my grandmother's house like I've always said. :what:

You've rewritten my childhood! Reading your post made me realize that we never actually did fish, swim, skate, sled, ride horse or a lot of other things at my grandmother's house like I've always said. :what:

LOL - I know, I always said "down by my Grandma's", too.

Like I said, I think I read it the way I did simply because we've been so focused on the tiny little words looking for some indication of a clue. I didn't know if disappearing "at the lake" was an indication of the entire area as referred to by locals, or otherwise.

After all, I've never been a person anyone has ever accused of under-analyzing things! ;)

Makes sense. I took it as the general vicinity....the lake. IF she has some insdie info that he truly went missing at the lake, then I think the hope and faith would be non-existent.

Makes sense. I took it as the general vicinity....the lake. IF she has some insdie info that he truly went missing at the lake, then I think the hope and faith would be non-existent.

Good point. I think it's most likely she meant the general area as well.

Hi guys,

Been a while, any updates?

Good point. I think it's most likely she meant the general area as well.

Remember the discussion awhile back about whether Vallecito had its own sheriff/LE/whatever and we all figured out that Vallecito wasn't even a municipality? Just an area where all the addresses are technically Bayfield? I think the FMDR post echoes this. People in Bayfield make the distinction between the town (Bayfield) and the lake (Vallecito). I think she just meant he was last reported seen at "the lake" (Vallecito area) and not the lake (body of water).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub