CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC they live in Monument. That is WEST of I-25. Pre-evacuation areas are stopping at I-25 (for now). Here's a map to see:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206132177599720387286.0004dee98b2d544474f6f&msa=0

Ah thank you. Gosh I hope so. For some reason I thought it was closer to their home but I don't know the area at all, just from looking at maps and articles, so it helps to have more local perspective.

My heart goes out to everyone impacted by the fires, but I sure hope that it doesn't add anything further to Dylan's family's heartache.

If that was the case then he is even more negligent and cold hearted than I previously thought:

---He would call his son, who is home alone waiting for a ride,and get no reply to three attempts to reach him.

---Upon his return, he finds the cabin empty, and no note.

---He takes an hour nap, then wakes up, and does not notice, for a couple MORE hours, that his son is still gone.

----He has not seen, nor spoken to his young son since 7:30 am, and it is not until 2;30 pm, that he NOTICES he is not home still. :no:

Something is wrong with this picture, imo.

Katy I don't think the nap matters anyway. I don't think he took one!!! JMO
He just has no alibi for a lot of time that day so he says I took a NAP!

Maybe he did have nap , if he was up most of the night (IMO) then he would of been tired .

IMO thats quite possible, the only thing we know for certain about that day is that MR did do some errands in the morning hours. We don't have any factual information that MR definitely left from his Vallecito home to go run those errands and there's no factual information about the time after he left the last of his errands until he contacted EH.

IMO it's possible for him to have left his Vallecito home on the sunday evening and driven up to 5/6 hours away from there, then gone straight to Durango to run those very important errands.

IMO those errands could be alibi building.

IMO thats quite possible, the only thing we know for certain about that day is that MR did do some errands in the morning hours. We don't have any factual information that MR definitely left from his Vallecito home to go run those errands and there's no factual information about the time after he left the last of his errands until he contacted EH.

IMO it's possible for him to have left his Vallecito home on the sunday evening and driven up to 5/6 hours away from there, then gone straight to Durango to run those very important errands.

IMO those errands could be alibi building.

I agree. It is possible. I would like to have a conversation with the people he interacted with Monday morning, about his clothes, appearance and demeanor.

I agree. It is possible. I would like to have a conversation with the people he interacted with Monday morning, about his clothes, appearance and demeanor.

Yes it would be interesting, I wonder what those peoples observations and impressions were.

also if anyone saw MRs truck, where did they see it.

You know who I would love to hear Tricia do an interview with, not even sure if this is possible, but with one of his friends. Ryan maybe. I would love to hear what D's friends say about him.

Yes, however impractical or unlikely, it would be good to hear from Dylan's friends without a parental filter. So many pieces of information that we are never going to get....

I'm a worrier when my child isn't where I expected at the time I expected. And this has been an eye opener for me too. I have gone and taken a shower when my child was late/not answering texts. I think NOW about how my coping with my worry would be viewed if it turned out something happened to my child. I have to force myself to take a wait and see approach that my husband has naturally. Maybe that's why kids have two parents, often of differing temperaments.

You're right, and I think some of it depends on the age of the child, too. If my child is not more than 7 or 8 years old, YES, I am going to be upset if he is not where he should be. But at 13, almost 14... not so much. By that age, kids are usually capable of taking care of themselves well enough that you can trust them, to a point. And they are also forgetful and live in the moment, so if an idea appeals to them right then, they don't always stop and think about who else it is going to affect.

The only thing I can't reconcile with the scenario that Dylan was hiking in the woods or fishing at the lake is, why would he take his backpack? Why wouldn't he leave it there and just take a fishing pole?

I think the theory of him deciding to hike to his friend's house or hitch a ride to Bayfield makes more sense, because that could explain taking the backpack. OR someone he knew or thought he could trust coming along and offering him a ride, even more likely. I think Mark may not have noticed right away that the backpack was missing. He could have thought Dylan moved it upstairs to his room, and just never thought much about it, until LE asked him about it.

snipping>

I think the theory of him deciding to hike to his friend's house or hitch a ride to Bayfield makes more sense, because that could explain taking the backpack. OR someone he knew or thought he could trust coming along and offering him a ride, even more likely. I think Mark may not have noticed right away that the backpack was missing. He could have thought Dylan moved it upstairs to his room, and just never thought much about it, until LE asked him about it.

I've been wondering who all knew Dylan was in town. It could be a longer list than I first thought.

So you are going by the bonding HE SAID he had with Dylan? And I am going by what I see in the picture at Walmart, and his own words that Dylan hadn't spoken to him in months, and was distant when he arrived. And Dylan's texts to Ryan where he wanted to come right over when he landed, but when denied that, was quite eager to arrive at 6:30 the next morning. And I'm also going by what Cory has said, because he probably knew both Dylan and Mark better than anyone.

Just because Mark SAYS he had a closer bond than ER did, it does not make it so. If that was true, D would have been communicating with him. JMO

BBM - This detail has stuck with me. Marks claim to have a strong bond with Dylan doesn't match the unanswered or ignored text messages. In my opinion, if they were was so close, Dylan would have enjoyed communicating with his father. If they were so close I would expect Dylan to be excited when his dad contacted him. I would also expect to hear Dylan iniated conversations with his father. In my opinion, the lack of communication between Mark and Dylan does not fit the painted picture of a close bond. At least not at this particular time in their lives.

Re: the discussion about how LE handles cases, I have noticed that each case varies infinitely. JMO.

AFAIK, from what I have read and followed over the years, FBI does assist with some cases, but the LE agency with the jurisdiction is still considered the lead investigation team.
I believe that FBI becomes more involved if it's a suspected serial crime, but a missing child when there has been no other missing children in that area... they wouldn't just take over from the LE handling it unless they asked them to. And that would be because that particular agency did not have the manpower or the training or experience to handle the case.
I do not have links to support this, it is things that I have gleaned from following other cases, from reading, and from things my son in LE has told me as well. Take it FWIW.

When I pull up the Google map for the town of Monument, it looks like the southern portion is East of I25. Am I looking at the map wrong? :moo:

Monument is definitely on both sides of the highway. I am guessing the firefighters are hoping I-25 acts as a fire barrier to keep the flames from skipping west, but honestly I think all it will take is one resilient spark on the wind :(

AFAIK, from what I have read and followed over the years, FBI does assist with some cases, but the LE agency with the jurisdiction is still considered the lead investigation team.
I believe that FBI becomes more involved if it's a suspected serial crime, but a missing child when there has been no other missing children in that area... they wouldn't just take over from the LE handling it unless they asked them to. And that would be because that particular agency did not have the manpower or the training or experience to handle the case.
I do not have links to support this, it is things that I have gleaned from following other cases, from reading, and from things my son in LE has told me as well. Take it FWIW.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs
If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI “take over” the investigation?

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

Also

If a child is missing and possibly kidnapped, but no interstate transportation is known, will the FBI begin an investigation?

Yes. The FBI will initiate a kidnapping investigation involving a missing child “of tender years,” even though there is no known interstate aspect. “Tender years” is generally defined as a child 12 years or younger. The FBI will monitor other kidnapping situations when there is no evidence of interstate travel, and it offers assistance from various entities including the FBI Laboratory.

Given the animosity of these two parents, I wonder if EH didn't block MR's number from Dylan's phone. This is a possible explanation for Dylan not returning text messages to his father.

If anyone chooses to research this possibility, remember that Dylan has Verizon cell service presumably attached to his mother's account. A blocked text message goes into the airwaves and the sender never gets any kind of notice and the receiver never does either. Only an account manager could block or unblock a number from a phone with Dylan being totally unaware. Phone calls are different and Verizon has a standard message that the blocked person gets when they attempt to call. I'm sure someone can locate that recording.

Possible yes, but in my opinion not reasonable. Mark claimed to text and call Dylan on Monday. I personally think Mark would have contacted EH had there been any suspicion that his number was blocked on Dylan's phone. I don't remember if this has ever been released or discussed, but I can speculate that Dylan texted or called Mark when his plane landed Sunday evening.

I don't think we know for certain the Dylan didn't respond to Mark's text messages. Mark does not say Dylan did not answer me.

Mark Redwine:
So anyway, we dropped Dylan off – and then, you know I didn’t see him again I don’t think until the date of the court hearing in September. I always try at least once a week to contact him. You know I’m not going to nag him to death. I’m not going to call him every 5 minutes till he returns my calls. I can text him I can leave a voice mail I leave it up to him to respond to me when he wants to. But, I don’t think that his environment was very conducive to that.

MB Transcript -
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8813297&postcount=79"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Dylan Redwine *Media , Maps & Timelines*[/ame]

Wow. So some folks think a 14 year old boy going off on his own for a bit when out in the sticks while his pops is gone to town is cause for panic, and a pop who comes home and thinks little of it for an hour or so is irresponsible and evil. Unreal. No Huck Finn for you.

Hi Tonto!

I don't believe taking a nap is evil at all. I just have a problem connecting the dots because I do not see where Mark's actions and his words mesh. Here is an example from the MB interview.

Mark Redwine:
Well, we had talked about a couple things … he was here for such a short time, we didn’t have anything nailed down, you know, I anticipated and was correct in assuming he wanted to spend time with his friends, so that Monday, Tuesday… Wednesday was kind of up in the air because that was the day we could either travel to Colorado ….err not Colorado Springs but Castle Rock where my brother lives, ‘cos he had made mention about wanting to go over there, …or he could hang out with his friends and come up here, you know… just the two of us would spend Thanksgiving and then he could focus on spending the rest of the time he was here with his friends.. you know... I mean… I just wanted him to be happy. So, when he wants to spend time with his friends I get that – I understand that. I have no problem with that.

All I need to know is that he’s safe and where he’s at, and how to get a hold of him, and it’s likely I’ll pop in on him -- Check to make sure he’s at where he says he’s at. Those things were important to me. You know… when he’s with me – it’s me and him, with the exception of his friends. You know… I know those are important to him, but … you know… I monitor what he does, where he’s at. You know… it’s just me and him. There’s not people coming and going in my life ‘cos everything I focus on is him and us being together spending that time.

I don't think we know for certain the Dylan didn't respond to Mark's text messages. Mark does not say Dylan did not answer me.

Mark Redwine:
So anyway, we dropped Dylan off – and then, you know I didn’t see him again I don’t think until the date of the court hearing in September. I always try at least once a week to contact him. You know I’m not going to nag him to death. I’m not going to call him every 5 minutes till he returns my calls. I can text him I can leave a voice mail I leave it up to him to respond to me when he wants to. But, I don’t think that his environment was very conducive to that.

MB Transcript -
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Dylan Redwine *Media , Maps & Timelines*

Well, there it is. MR left voicemails. Therefore his number was not blocked. Cross that possibility off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020