CO - Dylan Redwine missing from Vallecito ***SEARCH DISCUSSION ONLY***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure on Google Maps it would consider anything East of the Continental Divide as "East" due to the water flow (East to the Mississippi) vs. Western CO on the other side of the divide as the water would run West to the Colorado River, and other Western flowages to the Pacific.

Having lived in CO myself the front range - at least as I remember was usually the areas west of I-25 and along the corridor of 36 to Boulder. Aurora and such weren't really "East" yet - outside the metro area to the East where it gets totally flat definitely. Castle Rock (which was just starting to be built up) and COS were colloquially known to folks living up around Denver as "The Springs". Pueblo was Southern. Durango definitely called the "Four Corners Area", and as you also stated the Western Slope was Grand Junction and the surrounding towns like Fruita. As I recall up by Boulder were in "the Foothills". Up by Greeley and such was Northern Colorado. I will admit that anything that was past about Georgetown on the way to Vail, for instance was simply "in the mountains" or areas were referred to by the largest town/ski resort in the area.

OK, that was probably a lot more detailed than I needed to make it, huh? I guess I was trying to remember and typing as I was thinking about it...

O/T I really miss the mountains! :(

Colorado location descriptions are detailed, and likely driven as much by climate zones as by geography. But it did occur to me after i posted that that someone that lives on the west side of the mountains might consider everything on the other side as "east." Which would actually include the entire front range and I25 corridor from Fort Collins down to Trinidad.

At this point out of the box may definitely help if the search at the lake is unproductive... I would look for places he may have gone with friends - not necessarily big stadiums, but smaller fields where people would be way less likely to go seeing as it was mid- to late-November at the time.

I'm not sure what the significance of Ft. Lewis College is in this case, would you be kind enough to explain to me, as I'm sure I've missed it somewhere! :)

I'm personally of the opinion that the Lake holds the secret at this point, but it's important to not put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak...

As always, all of the above is MOO! :cow:

BBM- I have in my notes that ER was the Director of Financial Aid at Ft. Lewis College. Unfortunately, I did not put my source. I will see if I can find it again.

Another place that I thought might be worth checking out is Tuckerville which is only about 12 miles away on road 724. I read that it was an old mining town and wondered if there are shafts there.

Another place that I thought might be worth checking out is Tuckerville which is only about 12 miles away on road 724. I read that it was an old mining town and wondered if there are shafts there.

Good thinking in regard to old mining towns in the area, and especially perhaps any poorly sealed shafts... There are plenty of town areas all over - some of which aren't even on the maps anymore, unfortunately. Unfortunately I can think of other possibilities as well, depending upon the scenario of his disappearance... Even very old overgrown cemeteries would be a good place to look once the snow melts.

ETA: Not sure how many areas of this sort are around Vallecito/Durango area. We lived between Denver and Boulder, and most of our excursions were around Blackhawk, Idaho Springs, Nederland, and areas that were close enough for a day's drive back and forth, but we never did get down to the 4 corners region, unfortunately. Closest we got was camping off 50 in Gunnison County w/a short trip to Montrose for gas and some supplies.

FMDR posted yesterday -

*paraphrased*

They have been researching to find the best water S & R outfit. They found a team that might be the best in the world. They will be on the lake as soon as they can put boats on. The team has the best equipment and amazing record. They are expected to be on the lake for several days searching.

https://www.facebook.com/FindMissingDylanRedwine

I know this is waaaaay outside of the box. But,there was so much talk about sports and stadiums. What about searching around the baseball fields in Durango/Bayfield/Vallecito areas? Especially around the field at Ft. Lewis College, because that would have double meaning one nostalgic, the other get even. If you google the route from McDonalds in Durango to Ft. Lewis College, it looks like a windy somewhat secluded route.

Drove the routes from McDonald's to the college many a time, as I'm a proud alumna of Ft. Lewis. It's not secluded at all. Depending on which way you go, there is a windy part, but it's always full of foot, bike, and vehicle traffic. Both ways go through business and residential sections of Durango.

I dont think this search can move along till they find out who is in the lake.
Someone is in there.

Why would TES not be called in here?
They are out looking for Sidney why not Dylan?
What leaves them out in some cases and welcomed in others.

Is it because Law Enforcement knows where Dylan is and just cant get to him yet?
This to me says they wouldnt rquire TES and their services.
I have a feeling LE does believe Dylan is in that lake and will recover him when able.
Just a thought!

Someone is in there.

Is it because Law Enforcement knows where Dylan is and just cant get to him yet?
I have a feeling LE does believe Dylan is in that lake and will recover him when able.
Just a thought!

We were told upthread TES only works with LE cooperation.

In my opinion, if LE believes Dylan or someone is in the lake they're not communicating this very well to the family. All LE would need to say to the family is we intend to resume the search as soon as the lake thaws. LE has the resources as proven early on, so why does Dylan's family feel they need to obtain their own S & R? Something is amiss.

Someone is in there.

Just a thought!

Isn't there some controversy with TES? I thought I read about a strange way a case was handled. That might be enough for a quick google search by LE to eliminate working with a specific group. Not saying at all that's what happened.

I think it's more likely LE looked at TES abilities, saw dogs, horses, divers, experienced search personnel and said, "We've got all that, PLUS the advantage of knowing the area, which outside groups lack." La Plata does a lot of missing person search and rescue, usually lost hikers/hunters, backcountry skiers lost in avalanches and quite a few that think they should poke around in mine shafts. IMO

The big advantage third parties bring, IMO, is time, not experience. And specialty, for instance a group with specialized equipment.

In my opinion, if LE believes Dylan or someone is in the lake they're not communicating this very well to the family. All LE would need to say to the family is we intend to resume the search as soon as the lake thaws. LE has the resources as proven early on, so why does Dylan's family feel they need to obtain their own S & R? Something is amiss.

If LE believed in November that Dylan was in the lake, before it froze, why would they have left him there? I can't think of any reason they would not have felt an urgency to find him and resolve this case.

But if no one is ruled out they wont communicate anything to anyone. jmo
LE cant stop the family from searching but I do think LE knows Dylan is in that lake and I do believe that fishing pole was Dylans. JMO

LE will not say that Dylan is in that lake till they get his body out of that lake.

Again thats JMO.

If LE believed in November that Dylan was in the lake, before it froze, why would they have left him there? I can't think of any reason they would not have felt an urgency to find him and resolve this case.

I really think it was to cold to go to the depth they have to go.
If it was dangerous for the divers they wouldnt do it but wait till they can when the water warms. They will not risk another life! Id bet my last dollar they have contacted many dive teams and sought their recomendations.
JMO

I do think LE has known many many things from early on.

Isn't there some controversy with TES? I thought I read about a strange way a case was handled. That might be enough for a quick google search by LE to eliminate working with a specific group. Not saying at all that's what happened.

I think it's more likely LE looked at TES abilities, saw dogs, horses, divers, experienced search personnel and said, "We've got all that, PLUS the advantage of knowing the area, which outside groups lack." La Plata does a lot of missing person search and rescue, usually lost hikers/hunters, backcountry skiers lost in avalanches and quite a few that think they should poke around in mine shafts. IMO

The big advantage third parties bring, IMO, is time, not experience. And specialty, for instance a group with specialized equipment.

I dont think LE likes to turn over a case to an outside party. Especially if this outside party finds things that LE missed. It make them look bad.
But in all actuality its not easy to find a missing person. So many have been found within a mile from where they went missing only years later.
It happens no matter how many search or where they search something is always missed.

JMO

BBM- I have in my notes that ER was the Director of Financial Aid at Ft. Lewis College. Unfortunately, I did not put my source. I will see if I can find it again.

You can go to the college site and she is listed there!

How can we talk about searching when there are no searches?
The only place i have seen worthy of discussion is the lake.

BBM- That did not even occur to me! But of course it would be true given the terrain and the fact that it is a resort area. Which makes it even more concerning that they found nothing in their first searches, except the hits at the lake.

Good thinking in regard to old mining towns in the area, and especially perhaps any poorly sealed shafts... There are plenty of town areas all over - some of which aren't even on the maps anymore, unfortunately. Unfortunately I can think of other possibilities as well, depending upon the scenario of his disappearance... Even very old overgrown cemeteries would be a good place to look once the snow melts.

ETA: Not sure how many areas of this sort are around Vallecito/Durango area. We lived between Denver and Boulder, and most of our excursions were around Blackhawk, Idaho Springs, Nederland, and areas that were close enough for a day's drive back and forth, but we never did get down to the 4 corners region, unfortunately. Closest we got was camping off 50 in Gunnison County w/a short trip to Montrose for gas and some supplies.

There are over 200 abandoned workings - quarries, mines, etc, in the area. They are available as a list of coordinates, but not as a map. If anyone has the ability to upload those to a map, I'll find the list again. I think that I would check 1) locations that are known to locals 2) locations that have easy access and 3) locations near MRs hunting/fishing/camping spots.

Well now there is no discussion. Very sad!

I'm still of the opinion that the answer to all the secrets are in the lake... I find it highly unlikely he is not in the lake given all of the details we do know, and especially given that it just was not possible to do any kind of a real search with the divers in November due to the combo of altitude, depth, and water temperature. It was just way too dangerous.

However, if the search turns up nothing after the spring thaw, then it may be a good idea to think outside the box for a bit. I hope the LEOs will be keeping an eye out for where MR visits after the Spring thaw as well... As I recall the first big snowfall came a couple days after Dylan went missing, and I believe evidence may have been obscured at that point.

Anyway, I'm hoping the crews that are being brought in by the family will be able to accomplish what the LE agencies were unable to back in November. Like you said, someone is in that lake, I think that's a fact due to the hits by the dogs...

I just wish it would hurry up and get warm already. I can't imagine what this waiting must be doing to ER... It's getting to me, and I'm not even a part of the family, much less his mother!!

As always, all of the above is MOO! :cow:

I'll repost the list I had posted back in December. It sucks that so little has changed since then.

1. Lake
2. Woods/wilds
3. Hidden by someone he knows & trusts
4. Held by someone he knows & trusts
5. Held by stranger locally
6. Held by stranger out of the area
7. Empty house somewhere
8. On the side of the road somewhere between MR's house and Bayfield
9. Buried or otherwise 'disposed' of by perp or animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online