CO Father of missing baby 25 years ago reaches out to parents of baby Lisa

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"We have a potential suspect, we have an eyewitness who positively identified the suspect in a lineup of photos," Abeyta said.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Baby Lisa Update: Potential suspect profile submitted to FBI - National missing persons | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...uspect-profile-submitted-to-fbi#ixzz1d2nRHz7n

"Yesterday they showed me a paper with six pictures on it," Thompson said. "And I picked out the man they had been showing pictures of."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-ba...gh-questions-parents/story?id=14810300&page=2

? So the "they" in this neighbor being id'd as carrying baby Lisa, is Abeyta's team and NOT the LE??

I took 'they' to mean LE. That article stated he was questioned on Monday (the day before the article was published) by police and then goes on to quote him (Thompson) as saying "they showed me a paper...." etc.

"We have a potential suspect, we have an eyewitness who positively identified the suspect in a lineup of photos," Abeyta said.

Article dated Nov, 6th.

"Yesterday they showed me a paper with six pictures on it," Thompson said. "And I picked out the man they had been showing pictures of."

Article dated Oct 26th.

Sorry, I still don't get it. Did Abeyta take the photos to Thompson - Thompson ID's JB - then Abeyta takes this info to LE who responds with investigating AB?

A little O/T here but I wanted to share with you a couple of interesting things I saw on a couple of my favorite TV shows, FWIW:

Psych-not sure who watches this, but the main character, Sean, pretends to be psychic, but actually just has very strong powers of observation taught to him by his LE father. He is asked to take a LDT and flashes back to his father training him on how to pass a LDT when he was younger-breath slow, etc...Sean passes the LDT with flying colors.

Homeland-a really great CIA/espionage show on Showtime. The main character is asked to take a LDT and passes with flying colors. We do not know if he lies about the most important question on the test, but we the viewers know he definitely lies about another less important question.

I know these are just TV shows, but thought of this case when seeing the shows and it really made me wonder if there is any proof of people being able to train to pass a LDT. Anyone know?

I don't know all the deets of Christopher's case, but here is a paragraph from the web-site:

Christopher's family were suspects, as is the case with all abductions -- the family is looked at initially. The family feels that the initial investigators failed Christopher miserably in the beginning. The family cooperated from Day 1. They agreed to take polygraph tests so as to eliminate any suspicion the initial investigators may have about the family , so they could investigate potential leads and the sightings that came in. Christopher's Mom failed a polygraph and the family announced it to the media -- her Dr. had prescribed her pills to cope and she had been under heavy medication.

http://www.findchristopher.com/investigativefacts.html

Basically, Mr. A. had a brief affair with a woman and ultimately returned to his wife. It was his first day back home with his family. The woman called the home several times that night and hanging up. She has a history of breaking into ex-lovers' homes. She took off work the following day. She also has a history of mental health issues, one in which she possibly stabbed herself in the abdomen while pregnant-she said it was an accident. There is certainly a LOT of evidence pointing to this woman, but apparently, she has a close relationship with some powerful person in LE and she was never pursued.

A little O/T here but I wanted to share with you a couple of interesting things I saw on a couple of my favorite TV shows, FWIW:

Psych-not sure who watches this, but the main character, Sean, pretends to be psychic, but actually just has very strong powers of observation taught to him by his LE father. He is asked to take a LDT and flashes back to his father training him on how to pass a LDT when he was younger-breath slow, etc...Sean passes the LDT with flying colors.

Homeland-a really great CIA/espionage show on Showtime. The main character is asked to take a LDT and passes with flying colors. We do not know if he lies about the most important question on the test, but we the viewers know he definitely lies about another less important question.

I know these are just TV shows, but thought of this case when seeing the shows and it really made me wonder if there is any proof of people being able to train to pass a LDT. Anyone know?

There are books on how to pass, websites, probably videos. Also, certain personalities can pass while lying up a storm. Let's not forget there are many murderers that have passed them. Ridgeway comes to mind right of the bat - Green River Serial Killer. Just google any search term, there is plenty of info.

Mr. Abeyta doesn't seem to have the same requirements as Tim Miller or Marc Klaas, meaning he is involving himself in the investigation without invitation of the parents and (apparently) LE. Mr. Brando would have been someone of interest to LE no matter what, just given his proximity to the victim and the circumstances of that night, imo. His wife as well, imo. I trust they have been and possibly still are being investigated without the advice of Mr. Abeyta. Now, Mr. Abeyta appears to be releasing information to the public indicating that he is pushing LE on how much deeper they need to look at Mr. Brando. I don't understand why he is doing that. Imo, it seems inappropriate. I completely agree that Mr. Brando warranted investigation, but I think that should be left to LE alone.

No disrespect meant to Mr. Abeyta, but I sure hope he's not interfering with the investigation. Maybe LE welcomes his involvement? Just seems like crossing the line unless he has LE consent. I am glad he is devoted to finding Lisa and hope he is doing so within appropriate channels. Sometimes well meaning interference can be a hindrance rather than a help, imo...

JMO...

From the first article by the only WS approved writer on the Examiner:
"... the ex boyfriend of fame-seeking Megan Wright,” Hyatt said"

He is wrong on so many things I wonder why any reputable writer would quote him. The media admittedly found Megan Wright, not the other way around.

Also:
"LeRette, Abeyta said, is young and doesn't appear to have the ability or maturity to handle a situation this complex. But, he said, "Mike's the trail to the money so, good or bad, he stays."

It is believed the benefactor may have had prior connections with New York-based private investigator "Wild" Bill Stanton who was hired to assist the family in finding Baby Lisa."

BEM: I wonder how Abeyta knows this?

Mr. Abeyta doesn't seem to have the same requirements as Tim Miller or Marc Klaas, meaning he is involving himself in the investigation without invitation of the parents and (apparently) LE.

If my kid disappeared and my family were involved in a high-profile missing child case, Abeyta absolutely would NOT be allowed to "help" my family.

Whether hired or working on a volunteer basis, anyone working in close contact with my family would have to follow a certain standard of professionalism, discretion, and trustworthiness. Based on Abeyta's comments on his own behavior he, like the fired lawyer, falls well short of that standard.

He may have some good intentions but good intentions are not enough.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1111/08/ijvm.01.html

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now an ISSUES exclusive. A father who knows exactly what it means to have an infant snatched from the safety of his own home. Gil Abeyta has been searching for his missing son, Christopher, for 25 years.

Gil, thank you for joining us tonight; your son was just 7 months old when he was taken from his crib. You and your wife were both accused at the time of being responsible for your son`s disappearance.

You have traveled hundreds of miles to now find Baby Lisa. You are on the ground in Kansas City. What is your theory of this case now, as we hear not just the homeless man and the mystery man with the baby? But now we`ve got Dane, the guy who supposedly had the phone when the call came in from the phone, from the family`s house, as well as Shane, some neighbor who was over there partying.

GIL ABEYTA, PRESIDENT, FAMILIES OF MISSING CHILDREN INTERNATIONAL: Ok. You know. This is the most unusual case I`ve ever been in. It goes in different twists and turns. We tried to focus on -- you know, when I came here and arrived here after a thousand miles, I was going to just merely help the family do anything I could based on experience and I could get in.

I mean, there seemed to -- they were given advice by their attorney and their private eye not to talk to anybody, and that`s in reverse of what should have been done. So little by little, we picked up information and started to come up with our own way of finding things and we --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What is your theory? Do you have a theory of the case, Gil?

ABEYTA: Well, let me share this with you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Do you think --

ABEYTA: We have a suspect.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Do you think you knew who did it?

ABEYTA: Yes. We think that. And we have the eyewitness. You know, remember the eyewitness who saw man carrying the baby late at night? That`s very unusual. And there was two witnesses to that. So what we did is we did some investigation, I have prepared a seven-page report to the FBI, and to the police department. They are reviewing it. And we feel somewhat confident that we`re on the right trail.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Ok. I know you can`t name names and I don`t want you to for legal reasons, but is your suspect someone who is known to the family? Is your suspect someone who is known to the family?

ABEYTA: Yes, yes. Yes. Yes, it is.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Is it someone who lives in the community?

ABEYTA: Yes. Yes, it is.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I don`t want to play "20 Questions" with you, but we`ve got a big cast of characters here. Let me ask you this, do you think cops are about to make an arrest?

ABEYTA: I think they`re working on it. I think they`re trying to find out and validate the information that we gave them. I don`t think they`re -- I don`t know how close they are, because they don`t report to me, I don`t report to them, we just gave them the information, same with the FBI. But I can say that this is --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Gil?

ABEYTA: Yes? Go ahead.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: The prosecutor`s office says it could be years before this case is solved. Quote, "There is no case. Nothing has been presented to us. If it gets solved, it will be solved years from now. At this point, nothing has been presented to our office." But you`re saying something completely different.

ABEYTA: I`m saying to you that we have prepared a document naming a suspect near the family that has the experience, had the opportunity to be able to do this. Also, I want to add that that had the training to do this. Remember that -- training to do this. And so --

(CROSSTALK)

Even though they're being coy on JVM it's not hard to figure out who it is that GA suspects from the information available on the internet. It bothers me a little that he has apparently not had conversations with neither LE nor the family to ask them if it's okay to talk about this in public. What if he's right and it endangers the investigation to have it out there? His suspect might flee the country or do something desperate if he thinks he's been outed. What if he's wrong and an innocent outsider has been cast with a cloud of suspicion that may never go away if the case is never solved?

He's by no means the only one who's said who they suspect but IMO he goes a bit too far to say that the cops are preparing to make an arrest based on his information. (How did he investigate this anyway?)

If he's wrong I wonder if it will be hard for him to admit. I could be wrong but I think his experience may color his perception a bit and make the baby abduction for revenge scenarios seem more commonplace than they are.

In the beginning he doesn't address JVM's point about Shane and Dane and the mystery phone call; I wonder where it fits in with his theory.

If this suspect has so much training I wonder how he allowed himself to be seen walking and carrying the baby. Doesn't he have a vehicle? A bag? A blanket?

I wish they would have allowed him more time (Gil) more time - I found this interesting - especially the last line....

ABEYTA: I`m saying to you that we have prepared a document naming a suspect near the family that has the experience, had the opportunity to be able to do this. Also, I want to add that that had the training to do this. Remember that -- training to do this. And so --

I wish they would have allowed him more time (Gil) more time - I found this interesting - especially the last line....

BBM: Wait....whaaa!?

Baby snatching training? Ninja training? :waitasec: What kind of special training would our suspect need to brazenly walk into an occupied house and take a baby from her crib?

Baby snatching training? Ninja training? :waitasec: What kind of special training would our suspect need to brazenly walk into an occupied house and take a baby from her crib?

Exactly - don't understand why they didn't ask him that question - instead they just moved on.

Exactly - don't understand why they didn't ask him that question - instead they just moved on.

Maybe the producer felt that going into detail about this training this person has supposedly had could have given too much away? They clearly don't want to identify this person by name or by his relationship to Lisa's family in that discussion and maybe his training background would have been TMI.

Or else it's the topic for tomorrow's show.

I missed it somewhere, what does the neighbor do in the army???

It is interesting and I'm sure that the family want this guy looked at, funny how it keeps coming back to him. He's an awfully good suspect, good scapegoat too. Anyone think that he kind of fits the bill a little too well?

If it's the neighbour's husband, wasn't he cleared? I thought he passed a poly and was cleared by LE. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28
Back