Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your caring and your passion.

But the facts as we know them in this case right now (per the AA) say GS was dead before LE was involved. So an an alert put out by LE would have done nothing to save him.

We can't know if there had been some sort of earlier intervention related to the family situation that he would have been saved. But we do know an alert on the evening of January 27 could not have saved him. Even IF (as some on WS have suggested) GS was only mortally wounded and hidden away when the police were called that night (a hypothesis I don't personally believe) asking the citizens of Colorado Springs that night to BOLO for Gannon wouldn't have helped. Even in the very unlikely event he was terribly wounded but still alive, we do know he wasn't anywhere he could be spotted by members of the public.

We do know people become "habituated" to constant warnings, alerts, buzzers, sirens, and so forth. We also know that around 1.5 million children and adolescents run away each year in the US. We know that many others go missing for other reasons. While all are not 12 and under, if even 1/4 were, that would be a heck of a lot of alerts sounding off if immediate alerts were required for every 12 and under runaway/missing child.

Facts and Figures About Runaway and Homeless Youth

It would be a shame if the alerts that potentially could save a child, "Look for Vehicle X with License plate Y last seen driven by Suspected kidnapper Z in this area," were ignored because there was a constant flood of alerts for 12-hr runaways who were temporarily hiding in friends' basements.

We also know the most common single reason for running away involves abuse or fear of abuse. 45 Uncommon Teenage Runaway Statistics

It's not a big leap to hypothesize many family members who kill children may have abused those children in the past. So it seems to me devoting more effort to tackling that issue makes more sense than creating a new Alert law.

JMO
While an amber alert for runaways would not have helped in this case, how many actual runaways would be found and helped sooner if there was such an alert?

While an amber alert for runaways would not have helped in this case, how many actual runaways would be found and helped sooner if there was such an alert?
I doubt actual runaways would be found much sooner. And it would be at an enormous cost that would swallow up resources. I agree that there are cases where LE assumes a runaway even though there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Here’s a quick excerpt from a recent article with a timeline I found helpful for quick rundown on LS’s legal maneuvers @kpalma71580 Hope you find it helpful as well.
Quoting Article
“Tuesday, May 19:

- Attorneys for Stauch file a pair of motions calling for her preliminary hearing to be pushed back, as well as possibly allowing her to bond out of jail so that she is able to have video and phone access with counsel from the safety of her home."

Thursday, May 28:

- The judge agrees to push back Stauch's hearing. Stauch's attorneys are told that if they wished to proceed with the motion concerning bond, they must be ready to present evidence at the next court date.

Thursday, June 4:

- Stauch is in court on escape charges after second arrest affidavit alleges she was plotting to break out of the El Paso County jail.

Friday, June 5:

- Mental evaluation ordered for Stauch.”
End Quote!

LStauch will be evaluated at the state mental hospital in Pueblo, CO.
Seems LS doesn’t dig her jail accommodations so she planned another **jailbreak** by breaking out a jail window with a “broom handle” she wanted another jail inmate to provide for her to use! The inmate turned in a letter to Prison Guards (describing her escape plan) LS had slipped under the inmate’s door and ratted LS out (LMAO). So, LS had another arraignment on June 4, for her new “escape charges.” Her June 5 hearing was just a status hearing & it’s been decided to make sure LS is competent enough to stand trial (which she surely is).
And... one of LS’s public defender attorneys has quit. I’m sure they are disgusted with trying to defend her.
Regarding Gannon’s jawbone, it was recently sent by Florida officials to Colorado and it was positively ID’d as Gannon using dental records. His body still has not been turned over to his parents for a proper burial. Pray for them daily.
Glad things are beginning to get back to a little more normal for most of us since the CoVid19 Pandemic started.

OMG, I can't! LOL... A lot has happened, geezzz. Never a dull day for Miss. Letecia!

My heart breaks for Gannon's parents and family. :(

My biggest worry, is who she will hurt next to get what she wants. Will they drug her before transport?
I don't know whether they will or not.
It's not always so simple to drug prisoners for transit.
I believe she will escalate until she finds a way to quench another life.
She appears to have endless resources of energy, physical and psychic.

The police transporting her were trained professionals who knew her case, she still managed an attack...
She is probably now fully immersed in her true persona, enjoying the power she believes she has to terrorise.

A bomb threat aged 17...
Writing was truly on the wall way back then.
She likes having power and she doesn't care what she does to attain it, the wielding is enough...

I'd hate to be working anywhere near wherever she is housed.

I don't know whether they will or not.
It's not always so simple to drug prisoners for transit.
I believe she will escalate until she finds a way to quench another life.
She appears to have endless resources of energy, physical and psychic.

The police transporting her were trained professionals who knew her case, she still managed an attack...
She is probably now fully immersed in her true persona, enjoying the power she believes she has to terrorise.

A bomb threat aged 17...
Writing was truly on the wall way back then.
She likes having power and she doesn't care what she does to attain it, the wielding is enough...

I'd hate to be working anywhere near wherever she is housed.

straight jacket would work.

I say: Why not try and find out? It's worth it overall. How much would you pay for your child? It's not an entire solution, Amber Alert, but what could follow? 1 attempt to stop things in their tracks trying is better than nothing 2 if found, have some resources to help the family/child, even if its removal. We need better accountability in the system, actual checks and balances.

Many kids try to get out of bad family situations. Some don't know any better, think oh well imma die b4 20 so F it it's kool. Give them other options, there are many they can't "see".

I rather pay time and money to limit the criminal ripples. Crimes affect the individual, family and society, its thousands of BAD ripples. The real cost of crime, is much more than actual resources not handouts/time clock burning/look the other way.

I truly do not believe mandatory Amber Alerts for all runaway or missing children 12 and under would be helpful. (I believe those advocating for a "Gannon's law" have suggested that age 12 would be the cutoff for mandatory runaway alerts.)

Currently, abduction must be suspected and there must be descriptive information of the child, the captor, and/or captor's vehicle available to issue an Amber Alert. Without that sort of information, people won't know what to look for. BOLO for a 12-year old with brown hair wearing jeans and sneakers isn't likely to be helpful as that description will fit thousands of children.

While Amber Alerts get positive press, it's a bit unclear how helpful they really are. Some research suggests many of the "rescues" credited to the Amber Alert system likely would have been resolved peacefully anyway. Those involved a captor without evil intentions who was a close relative or non-custodial parent. After 20 years of AMBER Alerts… Are They Worth It?
(DOJ guidelines suggest alerts not be issued under those circumstances but many jurisdictions issue them anyway.) And in some cases it's possible an alert may have worsened things.

Even missing child advocate Marc Klaas has concerns about the actual implementation of the Amber Alert program. Overuse, false alarms threaten impact of Amber Alert

There are those in LE who question the efficacy of the program too. From the above link, John DeCarlo, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City and former police chief said, "Americans legislate by moral outrage, which creates systems that have good intentions but may have unintended consequences." Instead, he said our goal must be to implement programs that have proven efficacy rather than “just taking a shot at it.”

According to this link, Do Amber Alerts work? Yes, but only if you do this
about 200 Amber Alerts are issued nationwide each year. Yet there are more than 460,000 entries for missing children in the FBI’s National Crime Information Center. Admittedly all 460,000 children aren't 12 and under. And not all went missing during the same year as children stay in the system until they are found. On the other hand, many runaway children are found before their information is ever entered into the FBI's database (but if mandatory Amber Alerts were required by a new law, those missing briefly children would have had an alert issued if local authorities had been called.) And, of course, poor Gannon would not have been helped by an alert as he was dead before LE was called.

For the sake of argument, let's say that only 80,000 children 12 and under go missing or run away (even briefly) each year. If Amber Alerts were required, that would mean we'd have 400 times as many alerts as we have now. Even with the present system, some experts are concerned the public may be desensitized to the alerts as they may be overused. But 400 times as many alerts? People will stop listening, people will turn off the alert notification on their cell phones (many already do) and LE will have to follow up useless tips often from many miles away.
JMO

Lots of new court documents posted yesterday.
Colorado Judicial Branch - El Paso - Cases of Interest - The People of the State of Colorado v. Letecia Stauch

• She has a new lawyer. No surprise there.
  • Six pages of DHS documents are to remain private (not released to general public). Hmmm... what could this be?
  • Lots of filings regarding competency.
  • Quite a few documents about DNA testing. The defense assumed testing had been done by CSPD and CBI. THe Metro Crime Lab is conducting testing (not completed). I think this would explain the jawbone.

Justice for Gannon.

I say: Why not try and find out? It's worth it overall. How much would you pay for your child? It's not an entire solution, Amber Alert, but what could follow? 1 attempt to stop things in their tracks trying is better than nothing 2 if found, have some resources to help the family/child, even if its removal. We need better accountability in the system, actual checks and balances.

Many kids try to get out of bad family situations. Some don't know any better, think oh well imma die b4 20 so F it it's kool. Give them other options, there are many they can't "see".

I rather pay time and money to limit the criminal ripples. Crimes affect the individual, family and society, its thousands of BAD ripples. The real cost of crime, is much more than actual resources not handouts/time clock burning/look the other way.

I think people would just tune them out. As is, people barely look at them in their phones, myself included if I am inside. If we got an alert every time a kid ran away, everyone would just turn off the alarms in their settings.

The problem is desensitization. The more often they are used the less effective they become. Think about car alarms. They've become so commonplace and easily triggered that we no longer pay attention to them. Unfortunately, classical conditioning is a biological response that would be nearly impossible to circumvent. The only way to maintain the effectiveness of an Amber Alert is to limit their use on the most serious of cases and those with enough known information to benefit from it.

I remember how I felt when the preliminary hearing happened in the Patrick Frazee case. The information that came out was mind blowing, and the actual trial brought even more bombshells.

I have a feeling we'll see the same thing here with LS. She is indeed a dangerous human being IMO. Can't wait to see her shackled self being ushered in and out of the courtroom.

Colorado Judicial Branch - El Paso - Cases of Interest - The People of the State of Colorado v. Letecia Stauch

• Six pages of DHS documents are to remain private (not released to general public). Hmmm... what could this be?
  • Quite a few documents about DNA testing. The defense assumed testing had been done by CSPD and CBI. THe Metro Crime Lab is conducting testing (not completed). I think this would explain the jawbone.

Justice for Gannon.

I don't know if you said this sarcastically or sincerely, so I may just be saying something obvious, but if I had to guess, sadly, I'd guess child welfare services. :( I have to believe this was not a single incident for LS. If I'm right (and I know I'm not the only one) it will make it hard for me to reconcile how this could have escalated this far. I'm not here to point fingers or lay blame, but IF these docs are indication that she was a danger to those kids and she was still allowed to be alone with them, well......all the more tragic.

Justice for Gannon.
No idea, not even a clue

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...view of DHS Documents Redacted by Records.pdf

Fourth Judicial District to resume jury trials in El Paso County

(This is in Colorado, the county where the Gannon Stauch murder trial may happen someday.) Since I was in that courthouse as a juror on a civil trial last fall, I was particularly interested to read the precautions they plan to take to protect participants from COVID 19.

Colorado Judicial Branch - Media - Press Releases

I don't know if you said this sarcastically or sincerely, so I may just be saying something obvious, but if I had to guess, sadly, I'd guess child welfare services. :( I have to believe this was not a single incident for LS. If I'm right (and I know I'm not the only one) it will make it hard for me to reconcile how this could have escalated this far. I'm not here to point fingers or lay blame, but IF these docs are indication that she was a danger to those kids and she was still allowed to be alone with them, well......all the more tragic.

Sincerely and uncertain. Not obvious to me, I think CPS not DHS, for abuse documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tammy58