Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post #216 by @Lovethesouth had a link to the memorial, so I'll share it again with proper credit :) stream
It says 'Unavailable' but just below that, it gives you the option to 'Watch on Facebook', which you can do without an account.
Thank you I couldn’t get it to do what I wanted . I don’t have Facebook so it was hard for me .
It is so nice to see Landen looking better. She has a heart of gold and is truly beautiful to her core. Her speech includes AS and she honors him as Gannon's dad. And despite all of her pain and suffering, she remains humble and she loves.

Websleuths is a champion for Landen and seeks 100% justice for Gannon!

If there is a video of the memorial, will someone please post a link?
you said it so perfect .. she did a great job I don’t know how she holds herself together but she does .. good post !!!

@NCWatcher , your understanding of the issues revolving around the video recording of the competency evaluation is astonishing, as well as a benefit to Websleuths. But I humbly confess that you kind of left me in the dirt here, so please bear with me :D

My position of understanding this issue is from the point that any action of the DA will benefit his ability to prosecute TS for her crimes. When the first competency evaluation was ordered, the DA responded by issuing subpoenas to gather information to refute an incompetency finding (IMOO, I believe preliminary reports prompted the judge to squash them).

With the order of a second competency evaluation, the DA did not subpoena those records again and that is raising my eyebrow. Your understanding of this matter far surpasses mine. Does the DA and the judge's actions appear to be protecting the state's ability to refute an incompetency finding and/or possible insanity defense?

If my understanding of TS's personality holds true, she will do whatever necessary to evade prosecution ... even creating enough chaos that results in a technical error.

Hey @SleuthBee,

My views come from having experience in the field of psychology and having known some attorneys fairly well in the past. Not from being an attorney. So my opinions and predictions may not be borne out.

But I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking me. My response to @missingm that you quoted was based on her post saying the tapes would come into play if competency eval #2 says TS was incompetent. ("Says" may be the wrong word for me to use. The judge decides, not the evaluator.) That the defense would then use the tapes of competency eval #1 to pick that eval apart. And that could happen, I guess, but it was never the defense asking for taping in the first place. So I doubt that was their plan.

I also doubt (but as I said, as a non-attorney I could be very wrong) the judge is going to entertain arguments from either side focused on trying to show him which psychiatric professional "did their court-ordered competency evaluation wrong." Attorneys argue the law in pre-trial matters and judges decide based on law. Attorneys don't argue that they know better how to do psychiatry/psychology than psychiatrists and psychologists. (And even during a trial, attorneys argue through their expert witnesses, not as experts themselves.)

It seems much more likely to me IF (big IF) there is a conflict in the findings of the two evals the judge would:

1. Decide on his own based in the reports
OR
2. Question the evaluators himself, then decide
OR
3. Ask for a third eval. If he did that, he'd probably require that an evaluator be found acceptable to both sides.

I'm also not sure how any witnesses to TS's past could be of value (either way) to issues of her current competency. Based on reading various posts on WS, I guess the argument would have to go something like this:

"Despite being a trained forensic evaluator and despite being accustomed to dealing with people involved in the criminal justice system--people who often have a vested interest in the results of a court-ordered evaluation---Evaluator X is either naive or stupid or maybe both and didn't realize he/she was being played by TS. We know that because TS lied to Y and Z in the past and/or had a personality disorder diagnosis in the past."

I just don't think that sort of argument will fly re: TS's competency to stand trial if for no other reason than competency for trial is a "present state" issue. And past liars and the personality-disordered can be incompetent.

So far as an insanity defense goes, that's an entirely different matter. We have no information suggesting that is the planned defense. And current competency or lack thereof has no legal connection to sanity/insanity at the time of the crime (except that, of course, if a trial can't proceed immediately because of the defendant's incompetency, no plea can be entered.)

But even if pleading insanity IS the defense's plan, remember that using that defense reverses the burden of proof. While the burden of proof is usually on the state, the defense has the burden to prove the defendant was insane at the time of the crime. While, of course, the state will refute that claim, the assumption in court is that the defendant was sane at the time of the crime unless and until the defense proves otherwise (just as the usual assumption in court is that a defendant is innocent unless and until the state proves otherwise.)

Using an insanity defense also means, in effect, the defendant has admitted guilt. Not sure TS will do that.

Insanity defenses are successful (on average in the US) about 4% of the time. Many are likely BS and shouldn't succeed. But it's also the case that juries often don't really understand issues of mens rea/intent. The thinking is apparently something like this: "I don't really care what they can prove about what she was thinking or what she intended. That she did it is good enough for me." That kind of thinking happens but it doesn't really comport with a legal
conviction for a crime that requires finding specific intent as an element.

I think it's helpful also to keep in mind that what the attorneys are doing now may or may not be for later use in open court. They are also trying to "psyc out" the other side, cover their own you-know-whats, and get their story out to the public including the local public (AKA the jury pool.) I know that's a cynical view but I think it's an accurate one. I don't know of a better system than ours, but ours is certainly not perfect.
JMO

Gannon was an innocent child, who endured turmoil throughout his short life. Both parents loved him, but failed him in different ways. This is the reality of what they are going through. I hope they can find peace in knowing that Gannon knew much they loved him.

As time moves forward, it is easy to forget the betrayal, the rape of innocence that occurred..
This is a stark reminder.
I envy them their faith.
I would find it impossible to reconcile myself with the horror of what he endured.
The sooner this woman is convicted, the better, justice delayed etc...
Throw away the keys... she must never be permitted to be around vulnerable human again.!

The Case Archive is updated,
although the site has undergone changes, and drastically different look and usage (I hate it).

Gannon Stauch Main Archive, with memorial service as the latest saved:
Gannon Stauch -CO-

Justice for Gannon section:
Justice for Gannon

Thank you for doing this, across so many threads.

Those preemie photos squeeze my heart.

Sweet, sweet Gannon --

YW. It breaks my heart.

I also do "on request" for anyone who asks me to do a case archive. In August, someone asked me to make one for a 2016 case that seemed "a little hinky"
about what really happened to Titus Tackett, a little boy in Missouri who was found dead in a strangers van.

Last edited:
As time moves forward, it is easy to forget the betrayal, the rape of innocence that occurred..
This is a stark reminder.
I envy them their faith.
I would find it impossible to reconcile myself with the horror of what he endured.
The sooner this woman is convicted, the better, justice delayed etc...
Throw away the keys... she must never be permitted to be around vulnerable human again.!

@kittythehare : I couldn't agree more!

We need sustenance to endure these cases.

chocolateCake.jpg wantCoffee_PressMe.jpg

Hey @SleuthBee,

My views come from having experience in the field of psychology and having known some attorneys fairly well in the past. Not from being an attorney. So my opinions and predictions may not be borne out.

But I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking me. My response to @missingm that you quoted was based on her post saying the tapes would come into play if competency eval #2 says TS was incompetent. ("Says" may be the wrong word for me to use. The judge decides, not the evaluator.) That the defense would then use the tapes of competency eval #1 to pick that eval apart. And that could happen, I guess, but it was never the defense asking for taping in the first place. So I doubt that was their plan.

I also doubt (but as I said, as a non-attorney I could be very wrong) the judge is going to entertain arguments from either side focused on trying to show him which psychiatric professional "did their court-ordered competency evaluation wrong." Attorneys argue the law in pre-trial matters and judges decide based on law. Attorneys don't argue that they know better how to do psychiatry/psychology than psychiatrists and psychologists. (And even during a trial, attorneys argue through their expert witnesses, not as experts themselves.)

It seems much more likely to me IF (big IF) there is a conflict in the findings of the two evals the judge would:

1. Decide on his own based in the reports
OR
2. Question the evaluators himself, then decide
OR
3. Ask for a third eval. If he did that, he'd probably require that an evaluator be found acceptable to both sides.

I'm also not sure how any witnesses to TS's past could be of value (either way) to issues of her current competency. Based on reading various posts on WS, I guess the argument would have to go something like this:

"Despite being a trained forensic evaluator and despite being accustomed to dealing with people involved in the criminal justice system--people who often have a vested interest in the results of a court-ordered evaluation---Evaluator X is either naive or stupid or maybe both and didn't realize he/she was being played by TS. We know that because TS lied to Y and Z in the past and/or had a personality disorder diagnosis in the past."

I just don't think that sort of argument will fly re: TS's competency to stand trial if for no other reason than competency for trial is a "present state" issue. And past liars and the personality-disordered can be incompetent.

So far as an insanity defense goes, that's an entirely different matter. We have no information suggesting that is the planned defense. And current competency or lack thereof has no legal connection to sanity/insanity at the time of the crime (except that, of course, if a trial can't proceed immediately because of the defendant's incompetency, no plea can be entered.)

But even if pleading insanity IS the defense's plan, remember that using that defense reverses the burden of proof. While the burden of proof is usually on the state, the defense has the burden to prove the defendant was insane at the time of the crime. While, of course, the state will refute that claim, the assumption in court is that the defendant was sane at the time of the crime unless and until the defense proves otherwise (just as the usual assumption in court is that a defendant is innocent unless and until the state proves otherwise.)

Using an insanity defense also means, in effect, the defendant has admitted guilt. Not sure TS will do that.

Insanity defenses are successful (on average in the US) about 4% of the time. Many are likely BS and shouldn't succeed. But it's also the case that juries often don't really understand issues of mens rea/intent. The thinking is apparently something like this: "I don't really care what they can prove about what she was thinking or what she intended. That she did it is good enough for me." That kind of thinking happens but it doesn't really comport with a legal
conviction for a crime that requires finding specific intent as an element.

I think it's helpful also to keep in mind that what the attorneys are doing now may or may not be for later use in open court. They are also trying to "psyc out" the other side, cover their own you-know-whats, and get their story out to the public including the local public (AKA the jury pool.) I know that's a cynical view but I think it's an accurate one. I don't know of a better system than ours, but ours is certainly not perfect.
JMO
Dear @NCWatcher

Your reply leaves me struggling for words to express my appreciation. Your explanation on the issue of the competency evaluations (and specifically to the Stauch case) is thorough and well written for even the average reader to understand. Your efforts uphold Websleuths as the "go to" site for accurate and relevant information ... for members and guests as well.

As a result of your knowledge and efforts, I now have a complete understanding of this matter of the case. ((Thank you!))

Sincerely,
SleuthBee

BBM

Maybe.

But it's the state that's asking for taping of the pre-trial competency evaluations and asking for pre-trial access to the tapes, not the defense. The defense is arguing that competency evals shouldn't be videotaped at all which as I've said, makes sense to me. So I don't think that's the defense's plan. Might be the state's.

But if the judge doesn't make a decision based on the two conflicting reports (assuming they are in conflict), I'd think it would be more likely there would be a third eval (vs attorneys pretending to be psychiatrists to persuade the judge.)

JMO
Thanks @NCWatcher for this post but I'm not seeing where the State requested taping the competency evaluation. IMO, that would not be their call.

My understanding is the taping was discovered when the evaluation was delivered -- causing the Defense to request the second evaluation not include any taping. After the taping matter brought to the court's attention, the Judge requested nobody view the video.

When did State ask for taping? TIA.

Dear @NCWatcher

Your reply leaves me struggling for words to express my appreciation. Your explanation on the issue of the competency evaluations (and specifically to the Stauch case) is thorough and well written for even the average reader to understand. Your efforts uphold Websleuths as the "go to" site for accurate and relevant information ... for members and guests as well.

As a result of your knowledge and efforts, I now have a complete understanding of this matter of the case. ((Thank you!))

Sincerely,
SleuthBee

Thanks @SleuthBee!

Thanks @NCWatcher for this post but I'm not seeing where the State requested taping the competency evaluation. IMO, that would not be their call.

My understanding is the taping was discovered when the evaluation was delivered -- causing the Defense to request the second evaluation not include any taping. After the taping matter brought to the court's attention, the Judge requested nobody view the video.

When did State ask for taping? TIA.

BBM

It's in the court order dated 6/12 that mandated the competency evaluation @Seattle1.

Colorado Judicial Branch

The judge ordered the evaluation be videotaped (likely based on an incorrect statute as previously discussed) but the order states the request came from "The People." See D-15.

I don't see where the State initially made that request or the arguments used to support the request. Personally I suspect the new statute re: insanity and diminished capacity evals that the judge cited was used. But I may not have found the correct document with the argument or it may be one we can't open. Still, I assume the court order wasn't mistaken that the State made the request.
JMO

Last edited:
I can't believe he has to be married to her still. Salt in an unhealing wound.

Listened to PE guys interview with Dr. Rumani on narcissists. Pathological narcissists. Fit TS to a T.

What an empty human being, sucking the life out of everyone around her.

She ought to embrace the peanut butter. It might be the only friend she has left.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member