Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Creepily reminiscent of Jodi Arias trial. Smarter than everyone in the room. Fires her lawyers. Representing herself. Asking for new lawyers. Wasting courts precious time. She will be sentenced for murder one day. She is going nowhere but prison.
The second I saw she was opting again for defense I thought of Jodi.

OT but someone brought up jodi arias on this thread a couple months ago and I realized I didn’t remember much about that case. I subsequently spent the following week, very late nights, down a very dark and disturbing rabbit hole... that 3 part documentary was also quite compelling. Unimaginable.

Don’t think the judge will allow her arguments.

Think the Judge made himself pretty clear previously when she wanted to defend herself. She was told she could have her team of defenders if she wanted, rather than take on Defense herself. It was around that point Jusge told her, any shenanigans she would be removed and the case will carry on.

Think the Judge made himself pretty clear previously when she wanted to defend herself. She was told she could have her team of defenders if she wanted, rather than take on Defense herself. It was around that point Jusge told her, any shenanigans she would be removed and the case will carry on.
If LS trial already in process -- I have no doubt that Judge Werner would have followed through as he stated. LS knew she was still in the safe zone making her request for a court-appointed lawyer prior to the preliminary hearing scheduled for May 20.

I think OP referring to LS arguing she does NOT want her old legal team back (from the PDO) but requesting new lawyers to represent her.

Wednesday, May 5th:
*Appearance of Counsel Hearing-in Person (murder & escape charges) (@ 3pm MT) – CO – Gannon Stauch (11) (missing Jan. 27, 2020, Colorado Springs; found Mar. 17, 2020 in Pace, FL., Santa Rosa County) – *Letecia Lynn (or Leann) Stauch (36/now 37) aka Letecia “Tecia” Lynn Hardin & Letecia Lynn Hunt arrested (in Myrtle Beach, S.C. 3/2/20) & advised of charges (3/5/20) & formally charged & arraigned (3/11/20) with 1st degree murder of a child under 12, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with deceased human body & tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered. Held without bond. [see below for re-filed charges] .
Charged (re-filed 3/20/20) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder (after intent & deliberation), 2nd degree child abuse resulting in death, 3rd degree tampering with deceased human body, 6th degree tampering with physical evidence & 8 counts of crime of violence (firearm, blunt instrument, knife or sharp instrument & causing the death of Gannon). Held without bond.
Charged (filed 5/20/20) & charged (6/5/20) with solicitation to commit escape. $2K bond.
Case & court info from 3/2/20 to 3/5/21 reference post #263 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

3/5/21 Update: Murder & Escape: See above link for info on court hearing from 3/5/21. Motions hearing on 3/12/21. Preliminary hearing on 5/20 & 5/21 @ 9am. Divorce: Status conferencing hearing on 3/29/21 & permanent orders hearing on 4/30/21. 4/30/21 Update: Divorce: Session stalled so far, they’re still talking about whether Letecia is able to get here in person. Apparently she is refusing to come in & there’s no WebEx link set up. Also, court clerk just mentioned to Al she’s in a wheelchair now. He’s surprised. Judge says things are set for final order. Just need to figure out property order. Stauch officially not coming. Judge says it’s her choice not to come, so they’re moving on. Didn’t even leave a note, just ignored everything. Judge on Stauch’s last appearance: “She claimed room was full of people when she was alone, then tried to catch invisible butterflies.” “Seemed like a three stooges act.” “This is not the kind of detachment from reality I’ve seen before.” “If Judge Warner found her ok to represent herself in the criminal case, there’s no reason I can’t find her competent here.” Calls her actions last meeting “theatrics.” All of this to say they can move on without her here because she chose not to come. Al takes the stand now for questions. September he filed a petition for dissolution of his marriage. His lawyer just went through the charges Stauch is facing. Getting into property arguments. Al is saying he won’t argue for a publishing deal/postmark account she claims she has. They don’t know anything about those, but say “sure, she can have them.” Also gives up a French Bull Dog he gave her for Christmas/anniversary. Also it sounds like Letecia plans to file a civil suit “when she gets out of prison.” Sounds like half of the things she claims are assets Al doesn’t even know if they exist. Al also says he’s been paying payment on cars even when they are in police custody (around $1,000 a month.) Now they’re talking about 4 different firearms police took custody of. They just clarified IF any of those guns in their home were used to kill Gannon, that they be destroyed. Attorney now saying Al has accumulated $75,000 in attorney fees between the two cases (as a result of Gannon’s death) “We ask the court to take that into consideration.” Judge: “I’m taking into consideration that the husband has taken on a lot of debt here when she has not.” Stauch not getting any of Al’s retirement, but gets to keep her “book deal.” Attorney says she plans to write that book “after she is set free.” Judge also give Letecia her own retirement account. Al has said he’s not looking to take her assets, just doesn’t want to give her any of his. Al just got the cars, except the car Letecia got herself. Jewelry claims were false, judge says Al doesn’t have to give her any of those because he doesn’t have them. Al gets the firearms, except for a shotgun that will go to Letecia if she’s acquitted. Divorce has been finalized.
3/12/21 Update: Commander Gillespie of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office was called to the witness stand to help explain the security at the jail. Commander Gillespie said the classification of an inmate governs how much access they have to certain facilities. Stauch is currently segregated from all other inmates, meaning she is kept by herself & only authorized to come out at certain times for things like showers & phone calls. Whenever Stauch is out of her cell, all of the other inmates must be cleared from the hallways. Only staff can be present. Stauch had this classification before being booked at the jail. Commander Gillespie said there have been reports of her possibly tampering with her cell window or talking to other inmates about an escape plan. The Sheriff's Office plan for Stauch's paperwork is to keep it in a secure lockbox, which will only be opened by staff to ensure chain of custody is not compromised. Stauch must have access to nearly 2,000 pages of evidence, a judge ruled Friday, after jail officials expressed security concerns about her having large amounts of paper documents in her cell at the county jail. Fourth Judicial District Judge Gregory Werner said Stauch needs to have a hard copy of the 1,800 pages of core information in order to prepare for a May 20 hearing. The remaining discovery, which is about 26,000 pages in total, can be placed on a digital drive & accessed in the jail’s law library. Stauch asked the judge several questions throughout the hearing & expressed concerns about being restrained in the jail’s library, explaining that it would be challenging to use a computer. A Sheriff’s Office commander said she will not be in full restraint while in the library & that the jail can make accommodations so that she can complete her research. Werner asked Stauch if she still wanted to represent herself, citing a letter she sent him earlier this week claiming she was denied her right to an attorney. Stauch told the judge she still wanted to represent herself. Plus, the District Attorney's office will need to deliver the evidence to the jail directly, to avoid calling Stauch's advisory Counsel as a witness if there is a violation of chain of custody.
3/19/21: [O-13] ORDER RE Request for unsealing of letters from defendant (of 3/8/21). Letters addressed to Judge Werner & Judge Bain were filed by Ms. Stauch. Both letters in both of the above referenced cases were sealed by the Clerk’s Office when they were filed. The People have not been able to review the letters because they are sealed. The People request both letters be unsealed. The Court has reviewed the letters from Stauch. Filed: Amended Motion for appointment of investigator at State: Caitlin Kreck-Motion granted by Judge Werner.
4/8/21 Update: The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office revoked Stauch’s access to the library for 90 days on April 8 after she twice refused to use her scheduled library time, violating the jail’s rules. Court records show that the sheriff’s office granted Stauch access to the library after she completed a library request form March 5. She refused scheduled visits March 30 & April 2 & six days later, sheriff’s officials removed her from the list, in keeping with their polices & at her request. Stauch has asked to be taken off the Law library list for medical reasons. Jail Commander's Affidavit on post #586 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

4/30/21: [O-14] Order re-appointing office of the public defender on behalf of the defendant (per letter request from defendant). [P-24] Notice of endorsement of witnesses for preliminary hearing filed by State. 5/1/21 Update: Appearance of Counsel hearing on 5/5/21 @ 3pm in person.

The State likely called HH to verify evidence they already have. She is likely a hostile witness.

I feel as though she will be a hostile witness as well. The bond between a mother and a child--even if the mother is bat-snot crazy--is very strong.

JMOO, but I've always felt as though HH knew more that she was letting on.

I feel as though she will be a hostile witness as well. The bond between a mother and a child--even if the mother is bat-snot crazy--is very strong.

JMOO, but I've always felt as though HH knew more that she was letting on.
I completely agree. You'd have had to be wearing ear plugs and eye patches over both eyes to not figure some of that stuff out at age 17. Stop and pick me up some cleaning supplies......Ganon's missing, ya seen him? No way, no how she didn't know something.....

I completely agree. You'd have had to be wearing ear plugs and eye patches over both eyes to not figure some of that stuff out at age 17. Stop and pick me up some cleaning supplies......Ganon's missing, ya seen him? No way, no how she didn't know something.....

I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks this kid suspected her own mom of killing her step-brother. Why would she suspect that?

In a nightmare or scary movie, sure, the camera pans to the minor teen step-sister as she raises a single eyebrow, questioning the cleaning supply errand asked of her, by her psychotic mother...

But this is real life. The LAST thing anyone ever wants to believe is that their own loved one, is capable of murdering someone. Even if she knew LS was abusive, either verbally or physically, she still (likely) wouldn't have suspected her of actually killing Gannon. Because, that's the stuff of nightmares and scary movies, not your own family, no matter how messed up in the head they are.

jmo

MOO

I think HH can fill in some gaps and perhaps is a witness to previous abuse to Gannon and/or the younger sister.

But, you never know…maybe HH decided the right thing to do was speak with LE.

BTW, HH wouldn’t be in this position if her mother would confess, stop playing games, and end this whole travesty for everyone.

But then again, she’s not really the mothering type nor does she do the right thing so there’s that!

MOO

I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks this kid suspected her own mom of killing her step-brother. Why would she suspect that?

In a nightmare or scary movie, sure, the camera pans to the minor teen step-sister as she raises a single eyebrow, questioning the cleaning supply errand asked of her, by her psychotic mother...

But this is real life. The LAST thing anyone ever wants to believe is that their own loved one, is capable of murdering someone. Even if she knew LS was abusive, either verbally or physically, she still (likely) wouldn't have suspected her of actually killing Gannon. Because, that's the stuff of nightmares and scary movies, not your own family, no matter how messed up in the head they are.

jmo

I agree, no one wants to believe a loved one killed someone, but families can hold some deep dark secrets. It wasn't long after Gannon disappeared that Tee started telling tales about the two of them being held hostage, anally penetrated, etc. If HH hadn't known before then that LS was lying, she had to have suspected it then.

To me--and this is all just MOO--a teen who felt their parent was innocent would want to speak up and tell police their side of the story. Unless, of course, LS told her not to, in which case, that should have set off warning bells as well.

I feel as though HH was very close to LS, close enough that LS may have confided in her about how frustrating it was to have to raise such a child as Gannon. I feel as though HH may have sympathized.

JMOO and MOO

Stepmother accused of killing 11-year-old Gannon Stauch to get new attorney

5/4/21

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (WPDE) — Letecia Stauch, the stepmother accused of killing 11-year-old Gannon Stauch, has a new court date which indicates she will be represented by an attorney in her upcoming trial, following her request to represent herself, according to ABC affiliate KRDO.

Court documents obtained by KRDO show District Court Judge Gregory Werner re-appointed Stauch's attorneys with the Public Defender Office last week after Stauch wrote a letter requesting attorneys represent her and not a public defender.

Stauch previously dismissed her attorneys and chose to represent herself in court.

[..]

Since choosing to represent herself, security concerns restricted her access to all the evidence in the case and of the roughly 26,000 pages of evidence, she was only allowed 1,800 pages in her cell.

A 2-hour law library appearance allowed her to look through the evidence but she recently lost the privilege to attend after refusing to go saying it was too early and she would be too drowsy to take advantage of her library hours.

[..]

Authorities reported Gannon’s body was found in Pace, Florida on March 18.

Stauch was arrested in Myrtle Beach in early March on charges of first-degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with a deceased human body and tampering with evidence in connection with Gannon Stauch's death. She later reportedly mounted an escape attempt, and subsequently, is facing charges for that, too.

I agree, no one wants to believe a loved one killed someone, but families can hold some deep dark secrets. It wasn't long after Gannon disappeared that Tee started telling tales about the two of them being held hostage, anally penetrated, etc. If HH hadn't known before then that LS was lying, she had to have suspected it then.

To me--and this is all just MOO--a teen who felt their parent was innocent would want to speak up and tell police their side of the story. Unless, of course, LS told her not to, in which case, that should have set off warning bells as well.

I feel as though HH was very close to LS, close enough that LS may have confided in her about how frustrating it was to have to raise such a child as Gannon. I feel as though HH may have sympathized.

JMOO and MOO
I agree completely. And HH and AS both lived with this woman and had to have seen things and heard things during that time even if it was just a litany of abusive words directly at Gannon. I think there are many of us that believe that something untoward was going on for some time. I don't think either of them expected that a murder would occur but it's likely they saw some forms, however minor, of abuse.

Last edited:
I have no idea what HH knows or what she will testify to. Like some others here, I suspect she'll be a hostile witness. I further suspect using her at the prelim is intended to be sort of a "psyc out" to the defense-- I'm sure there are many ways the state could have built the case for the prelim. Weren't there like 10,000 pages of discovery in March before the body was found?

It's easy enough after the fact to say HH should have known what was going on. And because we all wish GS hadn't been killed, it's natural to feel someone should have and could have prevented it. But HH was (and is) a teenager. Teenagers can be curiously oblivious and self-involved. So I'm not really sure she would have paid attention to things the way we think. There were plenty of adults in GS's life we could also point fingers at and say they should have known. But we don't. We call them victims.

JMO

I suspect HH is being listed largely to corroborate the clean-up (and perhaps details about Florida). She can’t be there just for abuse when Al & Laina would also be able to testify about how LS treated Gannon. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel