Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some food for thought… as I know the defense has referenced a dissociative disorder, but I don’t recall them specifically saying DID and there are a few other types of DDs.

Dissociative Amnesia
  • characterized by retrospectively reported memory gaps
  • gaps involve an inability to recall personal information, usually of a traumatic or stressful nature
  • most commonly occurs in the presence of other psychiatric conditions, particularly personality disorders
  • often associated with Cluster B personality disorders (antisocial, borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic), however there is evidence that suggests it may be more likely among individuals with Cluster C personality disorders (avoidant, dependent, and obsessive compulsive)
  • although the forgotten information may be inaccessible to the conscious mind, it sometimes continues to influence behavior (eg, a woman who was raped in an elevator might refuse to ride in an elevator even though she doesn’t remember the rape)
  • often caused by traumatic or stressful experiences endured or witnessed (eg, physical or sexual abuse, rape, combat, genocide, natural disasters, the death of a loved one, serious financial troubles) OR tremendous internal conflict (eg, turmoil over guilt-ridden impulses or actions, unresolvable interpersonal difficulties, criminal behaviors)
Dissociative Amnesia - Psychiatric Disorders - Merck Manuals Professional Edition

Depersonalization/Derealization Disorder
  • a persistent or recurring feeling of being detached from one’s body or mental processes, like an outside observer of one's life (depersonalization), and/or a feeling of being detached from one's surroundings (derealization)
  • often develops in those who have experienced severe stress including, but not limited to, emotional abuse or neglect during childhood, physically abuse, witnessing domestic violence, a severely impaired or mentally ill parent, a loved one dying unexpectedly
  • symptoms may be triggered by severe stress (due to relationships, finances, work, etc), depression or anxiety, and/or illegal or recreational drug use
  • episodes can last for hours, days, weeks, months, or years
  • episodes may involve depersonalization, derealization, or both
  • symptom intensity often waxes and wanes (when the disorder is severe, symptoms may be present and remain at the same intensity for years or even decades)
  • depersonalization symptoms include: feeling detached from one’s body, mind, feelings, and/or sensations; patients may also say they feel unreal or like an automaton, with no control over what they do or say; they may feel emotionally or physically numb
  • derealization symptoms include: feelings of being detached from the environment (people, objects, etc); feeling as if you they in a dream or a fog or as if a glass wall separates them from their surroundings; the world may seem lifeless, colorless, or artificial (for example, objects may appear blurry or unusually clear, or flat and smaller or larger; sounds may seem louder or softer; time may seem to be moving too slow or too fast)
  • a physical exam, and sometimes tests, are used to rule out other disorders that could cause similar symptoms (such as other mental health disorders, seizure disorders, or substance abuse); testing may include an MRI, CT scan, electroencephalography (EEG), and/or blood and urine tests to check for drug use; psychological tests and specially structured interviews and questionnaires also help doctors with the diagnosis
Depersonalization/Derealization Disorder - Mental Health Disorders - Merck Manuals Consumer Version

Dissociative Fugue
  • a rare form of dissociative amnesia
  • a temporary state where a person has memory loss and ends up in an unexpected place; they can't remember who they are or details about their past
  • if the fugue state is brief, they may appear to simply have missed some work or come home late; when the fugue state lasts for several days or more, they may travel far from home, form a new identity, and begin a new job, unaware of any change in their life
  • many fugues appear to represent disguised wish fulfillment or the only permissible way for one to escape severe distress or embarrassment (a financially distressed executive leaves a hectic life and lives as a farm hand in the country, for example)
  • often mistaken for malingering because both conditions can give people an excuse to avoid their responsibilities (such as an intolerable marriage), to avoid accountability for their actions, or to reduce their exposure to a known hazard (such as war); dissociative fugue, unlike malingering, occurs spontaneously and is not faked
  • doctors can usually distinguish between the two because malingerers typically exaggerate and dramatize their symptoms and because they have obvious financial, legal, or personal reasons (such as avoiding work) for faking their memory loss

Dissociative Fugue: What It Is, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

Dissociative Fugue - Mental Health Disorders - Merck Manuals Consumer Version

Some additional reading about DID and the similarities between it and both borderline personality disorder and complex PTSD (please forgive me, I majored in psychology and I’m an unabashed psych nerd :cool:):

Chronic complex dissociative disorders and borderline personality disorder: disorders of emotion dysregulation? - Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotion Dysregulation

Dissociation, trauma, and borderline personality disorder - Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotion Dysregulation

Dissociation in Borderline Personality Disorder: Recent Experimental, Neurobiological Studies, and Implications for Future Research and Treatment

Dissociative Identity Disorder | Bridges to Recovery
The following five criteria must be met to diagnosis DID:

1. Two or more distinct personality states must be experienced and reported, by observers or the person receiving the DID diagnosis
  2. Amnesia must be experienced regularly, and must cover a variety of events, situations, and social encounters
  3. The person must be deeply distressed and/or unable to function in at least one important area of their lives because of their DID symptoms
  4. Manifestations or reports of alternate personalities can’t be explained by any cultural or religious practices
  5. The symptoms experienced can’t be explained by substance abuse or another type of medical condition
In virtually every instance, dissociative identity disorder is a result of exposure to extreme physical, sexual, and/or emotional abuse in childhood.

Extreme means abuse that is well above and beyond what might be considered “common” or “typical” (beatings with fists or belts, touching and fondling, for example). It means repeated torture, extended periods of social deprivation (such as being locked in a small, dark room for days or weeks), starvation, sex trafficking, forced labor in harsh conditions, being subjected to unsafe and dangerous living conditions a daily basis. Extreme means the worst of the worst abuse you could possibly imagine.

Why wasn’t this DID diagnosed during the most recent mental health evaluation?
We don't know that it wasn't (assuming it's really DID she is claiming and not some other dissociative disorder.) While the specific results weren't released, the team's assessment obviously was that she was sane at the time of the crime. That doesn't mean the team found no mental illness including DID.
JMO

We don't know that it wasn't (assuming it's really DID she is claiming and not some other dissociative disorder.) While the specific results weren't released, the team's assessment obviously was that she was sane at the time of the crime. That doesn't mean the team found no mental illness including DID.
JMO
Thank You so much!

^^rsbbm

It seems the rub with DID diagnosis is the subject really needs to be evaluated while in the state of DID and not when convenient for the facility to accommodate her and/or a bed available.

I was recently reminded that LS allegedly broke a window with the broom handle at EPCJ and was writing notes to other inmates seeking assistance for her grand jail escape. I wonder if the defense plans to use the jail escape as evidence LS was experiencing DID during this time. (She was her miniature personality where she was going to slip through the bars of the cell window, like magic). MOO
I don’t think LS actually broke a window, but did tell an inmate of her plan.
Here are the details of her escape attempt:

Link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Media - Recent Orders & Opinions of Interest

Last edited:
IMO, once the case finally gets to trial, it will proceed quickly.

And if after all these mental evaluations by the defense are complete, and they are allowed to proffer to the jury the idea that DID may have contributed to LS actions to take GS from Colorado to Florida and toss his remains over a bridge, LS still murdered him, and IMO, nothing will ever negate that.

If the defense hopes to confuse the jury with this alleged mental disorder, I'm confident that the prosecution will prevail in showing that LS (aka Eguardo or whatever the personality of choice) was sane during the alleged DID period when she concealed Gannon's decomposing remains, loaded the suitcase to the furthest corner of the rental boxtruck, and obeyed the traffic laws across the country to Florida-- all without being detected. MOO

Last edited:
I don’t think LS actually broke a window, but did tell an inmate of her plan.
Here are the details of her escape attempt:

Link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Media - Recent Orders & Opinions of Interest
Thanks, @Cindizzi. I thought it was LS plan to break the window until I started reading old reports this week and came across one that reported the incident in the affirmative. I assumed I'd missed the broken window versus what now seems to have been incorrect reporting. ;)

Published March 31, 2021 11:49 AM

In a letter just obtained by KRDO, Stauch wrote to Judge Gregory Werner back in February of 2021 asking to represent herself because she believed her legal team at the time was "in cahoots" with the prosecution.

Stauch said in the letter that she believes the doctor who performed one of her competency evaluations was "clearly an actress and friends with the D.A." She said she was diagnosed with a condition, which is redacted from the letter, back in 2016 and received treatment for it. She also claims a South Carolina school district let her medically resign from her position with the district due to "ongoing reality breaks".

Stauch claims she tried to get her previous legal team to consider her medical records from South Carolina, and that she had to pay a "firm" to get access to those records.

The letter goes on to mention that she didn't believe her former attorneys were taking enough steps to obtain evidence in her case.

"Since March 2020, I asked my attorneys to preserve the Gamestop footage, to locate the Texas Police Officer whom I spoke with, and to get the Cruise passenger list. Instead, they spent months contacting my family for mitigation," Stauch writes, adding that she believes her attorneys shared information with her family that they weren't supposed to, leading to disputes.

Then, Stauch mentions that she has a biological son and believes that others involved with the crime are walking free.

"I will not put myself or others in danger running the defense against my biological son when the system is letting two men run free who are involved. One is a prominent member of an 'independent business.

' They used the NGRI (to get a hearing) knowing I’m Not Guilty to cover up their lack of representation. Although, I had “bouts of insanity” and still do, I did not murder or abuse anyone nor would that be a defense because it’s my understanding that you actually did do it.

However, I will protect my bio son and I will protect the drugs and violence documented from my stepson," Stauch wrote.

Published March 31, 2021 11:49 AM

In a letter just obtained by KRDO, Stauch wrote to Judge Gregory Werner back in February of 2021 asking to represent herself because she believed her legal team at the time was "in cahoots" with the prosecution.

Stauch said in the letter that she believes the doctor who performed one of her competency evaluations was "clearly an actress and friends with the D.A." She said she was diagnosed with a condition, which is redacted from the letter, back in 2016 and received treatment for it. She also claims a South Carolina school district let her medically resign from her position with the district due to "ongoing reality breaks".

Stauch claims she tried to get her previous legal team to consider her medical records from South Carolina, and that she had to pay a "firm" to get access to those records.

The letter goes on to mention that she didn't believe her former attorneys were taking enough steps to obtain evidence in her case.

"Since March 2020, I asked my attorneys to preserve the Gamestop footage, to locate the Texas Police Officer whom I spoke with, and to get the Cruise passenger list. Instead, they spent months contacting my family for mitigation," Stauch writes, adding that she believes her attorneys shared information with her family that they weren't supposed to, leading to disputes.

Then, Stauch mentions that she has a biological son and believes that others involved with the crime are walking free.

"I will not put myself or others in danger running the defense against my biological son when the system is letting two men run free who are involved. One is a prominent member of an 'independent business.

' They used the NGRI (to get a hearing) knowing I’m Not Guilty to cover up their lack of representation. Although, I had “bouts of insanity” and still do, I did not murder or abuse anyone nor would that be a defense because it’s my understanding that you actually did do it.

However, I will protect my bio son and I will protect the drugs and violence documented from my stepson," Stauch wrote.
I think my head just spun three times.

Thanks!. Oh boy. What a mess. I guess the defense can keep adding another disorder every time they don’t get the result they want.
Exactly.

I think this is what the media was trying to imply when they first tweeted (from the recent hearing) that LS was found sane but later corrected their reports saying that such medical info is protected.

In other words, they know what they heard but were amending their reporting to adhere to medical laws.

There's a good tweet quoting DA Allen that also tip-toed around this.

Exactly.

I think this is what the media was trying to imply when they first tweeted (from the recent hearing) that LS was found sane but later corrected their reports saying that such medical info is protected.

In other words, they know what they heard but were amending their reporting to adhere to medical laws.

There's a good tweet quoting DA Allen that also tip-toed around this.

Ok. Gotcha. We may not even see a trial in 2023 at this rate.

JMO
Since it's the defense position that LS was insane following Gannon's murder, and not at the time of the murder crime, I believe this is also what further frustrates the family and those of us following (i.e., the mental evaluation delays until the defense gets results they are happy with).

8/25/22

Judge Gregory Werner said Thursday he has received Stauch’s sanity report and wants to schedule a trial, but has received a motion by the defense for a second evaluation.
[..]

Wermer and the defense are raising clarification questions on the law regarding setting a trial date after a sanity evaluation is returned. The defense wants Stauch to be evaluated at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo, but by an out-of-state psychiatrist.
[..]

While challenging the first mental health evaluation, the defense requested a hearing to see if Stauch can be evaluated by outside psychiatrists at the state hospital and if there’s space for Stauch there.

Werner scheduled the hearing for Sept. 15 at 1:30 p.m.

The judge then advised Letecia Stauch on what was discussed today - that the court has received the findings of her first eval, and that she will undergo a second eval by a defense-appointed professional, because her defense is challenging the finding that she was sane during her crimes.

See news anchor's video report at link below for clarifications...

8/26/22

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to clarify the outcome of Thursday’s hearing.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KDVR) — Letecia Stauch appeared in court Thursday after the results of a state mental health evaluation to determine her sanity were provided to a judge. She is accused of murdering her stepson Gannon in 2020 and earlier this year pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

FOX31’s Nicole Fierro was in the courtroom Thursday as El Paso County Judge Gregory Werner confirmed the court received the reports and that Stauch’s attorney was challenging the results and asking for a second evaluation.

Stauch’s defense said it would pay for the second evaluation but would like to use the state mental health facility as a location where it will be conducted.

Since it's the defense position that LS was insane following Gannon's murder, and not at the time of the murder crime, I believe this is also what further frustrates the family and those of us following (i.e., the mental evaluation delays until the defense gets results they are happy with).
Yes, that certainly could explain some people's frustration. But what the defense is doing IMO is what any competent attorneys would likely do. And the first 2 evals were for competency, not sanity AND were requested by the attorneys she had from the public defender's office, not her current attorneys.

There have been delays. But some of those were due to COVID and some due to lack of staffing at Pueblo too. And she is in jail.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member