Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something about the shopping trip (cleared) ... is nagging at me. SM admits on MSM she went shopping but I don’t recall seeing her get out of the truck with any bags when she returned. Hmmm... Did I miss that somehow? Anyone have any further info?

YES!! This was the exact thought I had last night after I lay in bed thinking about this case! No shopping bags or purchased items that I could see, just what looked to be papers in her hands. I speculated that these could be a mapquest or google map printout if she needed them because she didn't have a phone/GPS.

One thing about TS stories that I had thoughts about was that she initially called him a runaway, then said he went with someone and it seemed she implied it was someone she knew. I personally never took it to mean that he had been abducted/kidnapped by some random stranger, but that she was trying to frame it as if he is still a runaway. That's all I really had to say about that. I mean, we all know that story of hers is baloney, but I thought I'd seen some comments about him being kidnapped, etc. and I never thought that was actually ever a consideration. IMHO
RSBM
I see this entirely different. Abducted or ran away. Not even close to the same story. If TS had discussed the abduction aspect with LE I would think it would have been a critical part of the initial public notification...A BOLO type statement.
ETA it would seem logical to me you'll have a lot more people going out of their way to spot/search/ an abducted child vs a runway.

Last edited:
Ha. No psych degree here (yet anyways) either. I do agree that we should all use common sense and real life experience to inform how we read her. There are plenty of red flags. And I definitely think a tale that includes truth, fiction, exaggeration, and misdirection is in play here.
Keep sharing, love your posts and appreciate your educational knowledge! All humans have an internal warning system, we just have to listen to it. I don't remember the poster's name, but she shared that her Mom was a retired detective in New York city. She stated that nearly every crime victim interviewed had a sense that something bad was going to happen. Example; one woman said right before she was attacked, something told her to turn around and run the other way. The book, The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker expounds on this.

This isn't relevant to Gannon's case, he's a child at the mercy of an adult. Anyway, I'm rambling on now, lol.

As to the "chosen victim" model of family life, it's fairly common. There's a well known pattern involving narcissistic parents, wherein one child is the "Golden Child" and like, the Narcissist, can do no wrong. Another child is chosen as the "Scapegoat." This dynamic happens in families that don't contain a narcissist, but it's very common - diagnostic, really - in narcissism.

There are some clues in this case. I'm not going to quote SM but I will note that the picture trail in this case has bothered me. I'll describe a different case (that is very similar) so that I'm not breaking rules.

In the case of a woman with Narcissistic/Histrionic diagnosis (both a field diagnosis and a clinical diagnosis from a psychiatrist), she had a FB in which you could barely tell that one of her children (the boy) existed. The daughter's birthday parties and other events were displayed on FB almost daily. Tons of selfies with the daughter. Even in travel pictures, one had to wonder where the boy was. The pictures were taken by both parents, but rarely contained any with the boy in them. Boy's birthday pictures were never posted. Since I got to interview this woman, I asked to look at family videos. Huge, extravagant birthday parties for Daughter, some years, no birthday party at all for Son, and when it occurred, no videos, we had to hunt for a couple of photos. While we were doing this, the woman showed no awareness of the issue. She just didn't see it.

The Son did get taken to the doctor and she sought psychiatric treatment for him when he was only 6. She seemed to think there was something wrong with him, although she couldn't articulate it. The father was frequently gone (military) and eventually left altogether, but before that occurred he revealed that the Son was diagnosed with depression at age 6.

The Daughter was rarely punished, the Son was punished frequently, often with psychological pain rather than physical pain.

This case has been published in academic literature, pretty much as I just outlined, so I'm not breaking any professional rules. There were some details about the case (non-criminal) that caused the treating psychiatrist to wish to publish some of his findings. There was, for example, a pretend abduction (of the Mom).

Anyway, there are things about this case that make me think of that case.

I wonder how long anyone who knows what happened to Gannon can hold out. I do not believe that only TS knows. Time is marching on, and eventually there will be an end. Whoever cuts a deal first gets the least time behind bars. They just need to think back a short time to Kinney,and Frazee. The team of investigators are not playing tiddly Winks. They are professionals, with one focus. Gannon

RSBM
I see this entirely different. Abducted or ran away. Not even close to the same story. If TS had discussed the abduction aspect with LE I would think it would have been a critical part of the initial public notification...A BOLO type statement.

I still want to know what date/time the supposed Google search on Gannon's phone. Can my parents track me with my phone (or whatever it was). That will tell us a lot. Was it premeditated? I just don't see an 11 y/o boy searching that, maybe an older teenager but Gannon still seemed like a boy, not a teenager.

To me, the "trigger" to set LS off into a rage would be anytime GS mentioned his bio mom. LS probably did put a lot into caring for her step kids... But to most children, there is never anyone better than their bio parents, no matter how hard the step parent tries. So, whenever he talked lovingly about his bio mom, or possibly stated "you're not my mom" it upset her. And throw in jealousy too ... No better way to hurt someone than to hurt their child.

I personally have a son, who has hasn't seen or talked to his bio dad in over a year....My child glows with love when he mentions his bio dad. His bio dad is worthless, but my child thinks he is a super hero....I would never break his heart and tell him otherwise. My husband is an amazing step dad, but no matter how many bedtime stories he reads, how many times he pitches a baseball....he will never be the "super hero" his bio dad is.

Something about the shopping trip (cleared) ... is nagging at me. SM admits on MSM she went shopping but I don’t recall seeing her get out of the truck with any bags when she returned. Hmmm... Did I miss that somehow? Anyone have any further info?

Great point. I would suspect LE has a theory on whether this shopping trip was legitimate. Did she leave items in the truck or produce receipts? Was she seen on store surveillance videos? Does her credit card reflect usage? Did her phone ping? And so on.

AND who in the world is going to take a sick kid who injured his "foot" a couple days prior out on a non-essential 4 hour shopping trip to just browse??? :rolleyes::rolleyes: TS never counted on having to explain RD's camera evidence and as usual, her story doesn't add up!

To me, the "trigger" to set LS off into a rage would be anytime GS mentioned his bio mom. LS probably did put a lot into caring for her step kids... But to most children, there is never anyone better than their bio parents, no matter how hard the step parent tries. So, whenever he talked lovingly about his bio mom, or possibly stated "you're not my mom" it upset her. And throw in jealousy too ... No better way to hurt someone than to hurt their child.

She likely viewed bio-mom as a threat, and by extension the step-children. A good step-parent extends love for their partner to their partner's children. A selfish step-parent sees their partner's children as a burdensome, permanent link to their partner's ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor