CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #58

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible. Did they mention any chemicals?
I don't recall chemicals, but the witness did talk about a 'sustained' flame, which put me in mind of maybe something like a lighter for a gas barbeque or one of those little blowtorches you get for toasting creme brulee or meringues on pie or baked alaska. Very much my own speculation and opinion.

MOO

Also on Monday, jurors heard audio in which Letecia Stauch called the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office claiming to her biological daughter Harley Hunt. In the call, “Hunt” said she wanted the contents of the car impounded in the investigation. For example, she wanted a bookbag including her social security card and birth certificate. There were diamond rings in a black and white bag.

“Harley, I can tell you right now, everything on this case is evidence,” El Paso County evidence technician Christina Cervantez said in the audio. She could not release this back to “Hunt” without written authorization. She recommended “Hunt” contact the lead detective on the case.

Testifying on Monday, Cervantez said she found it odd that “Hunt” claimed during the call to be a flight attendant. The real Harley Hunt was 17 at the time.
eta:
The next witness called to the stand was Janine Sanchez. In January 2020, she was living in the Lorrison Ranch neighborhood. Sanchez also worked with Harley Hunt, Letecia Stauch’s daughter.

Sanchez said she and Harley picked up Letecia from the hospital on Wednesday, January 29. Sanchez said Letecia got in the car, “just jokingly, she (Letecia) was joking about saying basically, ‘hope you don’t think we’re a bunch of murderers.’”

Sanchez said that Letecia started using Harley’s phone, then Letecia sent a text to her from the back seat, asking if she could stay at Sanchez’s home. Sanchez said she found this weird and strange because all three of them were in the car together.

Sanchez said, “Harley was just wanting to stay at my house because she didn’t really feel comfortable at her own house. I’m not sure why her mom wanted to stay at my house. With the texting thing, that was kind of odd. So I just let them both stay.”

Last edited:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In day 10 of the El Paso County murder trial of Letecia Stauch, the prosecution played a video showing an alleged escape attempt by the suspect during transport back to Colorado Springs in March of 2020.

[…]

El Paso County Sheriff's Office personnel transported her back to Colorado to face charges. According to Bethel, the process was recorded due to previous behavior by the suspect.

She said of Stauch's behavior, “She was calm, she ate, she sang songs, she played trivia." Bethel also said Stauch had conversations not related to the investigation, she ate and drank, and was able to use the restroom.

However, during this process, there was an incident that resulted in the defendant being charged with escape. The court was shown a video of Stauch manipulating her hands out of the restraints, glancing over several times, then taking a Monster Energy can and hitting a member of law enforcement in the head with it.

The driver of the vehicle then slams on the brakes, and the vehicle pulls over on the side of the highway.

As deputies are working to restrain her, Stauch says, “She keeps threatening me the whole time" in regard to one of the people involved in the transport. Bethel is heard saying, “Cooperate with me.” To which Stauch replies, “I will with you, but not with her.” At that point, she was informed she would face another criminal charge.

Earlier, Bethel testified that Stauch was moving around before slipping out of her handcuffs, and glancing at the deputies’ waist areas where their guns were. The detective said it was a very dangerous situation, and that Stauch was already suspected of murder, then assaulted a deputy who was armed and attempted to obtain her firearm.

Stauch stated she was not trying to escape, but trying to open the door for "some air."

[…]

You know… it got me thinking when I heard her police interview. Somewhere in the midst of her fire rescue story she talks about putting blankets over the smoke sensors (or something like that?) Whatever she said didn’t make much sense, as per usual, but she also mentioned a fire alarm. And it made me wonder if she let it slip that she was trying to prevent the smoke alarm from going off. Like did she tell Laina to grab the dog and get in the truck because she planned to set the carpet on fire while Gannon was sleeping and then ride off with Laina and the dog… but her genius “sensor blocking” plan failed when the alarm alerted Gannon to high tail it out of there?
I think this is exactly what she planned. I think she probably drugged him prior to this so that he would sleep through the fire until succumbing to smoke inhalation before ultimately being burned alive.

I think she actually gave herself away (as she has often done) during one of her phone calls with Al, I remember her crying and saying something like (i'm paraphrasing) "Do you think I wanted this to happen?!? I thought we would come together as a family over Gannon and get stronger" something to that effect. I remember thinking "That's such a crazy thing to say, to mention having some kind of forethought over the "what will happen after Gannon is gone". I might try to find that phone call but I have to be honest, I dread listening to that voice of hers' screaming and ranting.

I believe she was going to use Gannom's death in a fire to not only hurt Al so that she could comfort him, but to also make herself out to be the traumatized hero who saved the other kids. What I don't understand is if this fire "solution" was in reaponse to having done something to Gannon that she worried he would tell, or if she planned this, wanting to eliminate him when Al went out of town. Another poster had previously wondered about the hike, and if the hike was a ruse to push him off a cliff, but LS didn't have the opportunity. The hike just seems so random, especially if he wasn't feeling good. Maybe her older daughter really was supposed to go on the hike, and LS had planned on her youngest daughter splitting off with HH at some point, leaving LS with Gannon, giving her a chance to hurt him/push him off a cliff. Typing it sounds crazy, but this is the same woman who, in a van speeding down the highway, slipped her cuffs, hit a LE officer in the head with an energy drink and tried to open the van door with her foot.

Editing to add that LS stated that Harley was supposed to go on the hike but had been called into work at Massage Envy at the last minute. She said Harley had originally arranged to have someone cover her shift but that person cancelled. She said she told Harley "you don't want to burn bridges, you need to go in." I highly doubt she told Harley this. I believe she was just embellishing. It will be interesting to find out when/if Harley testifies if any of that story was true.

Last edited:
Do I think she was insane the moment she killed Gannon, nope. But she is narcissistic.

Narcissists like her are self-obsessed and control others for their personal gain. That is what we have seen done to Gannon, in her police interview and the letters she writes to the public.

They’re notorious for using a few specific tactics for getting and maintaining this control. When they don't have control they fake anxiety or fake heart attacks. Which is LS's go to.

When a narcissist like her can’t control you, they feel threatened, react with anger, and they might even start threatening you. Thus her actions outside of Marshals or in the interview room or even the "cousin it" interview.

Now that I think about it, these are the reasons she will likely take the stand. She's another Jodi Arias, Tammy Moore and Alex Murdaugh all wrapped in one.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In day 10 of the El Paso County murder trial of Letecia Stauch, the prosecution played a video showing an alleged escape attempt by the suspect during transport back to Colorado Springs in March of 2020.

[…]

El Paso County Sheriff's Office personnel transported her back to Colorado to face charges. According to Bethel, the process was recorded due to previous behavior by the suspect.
[....]snipped by me.
However, during this process, there was an incident that resulted in the defendant being charged with escape. The court was shown a video of Stauch manipulating her hands out of the restraints, glancing over several times, then taking a Monster Energy can and hitting a member of law enforcement in the head with it.
[.....] snipped by me...

This says LS was charged with this escape - did this not happen around Kansas or somewhere else (?) & they did NOT charge her for this one?

snipped by me.. could not delete this part! :)

This says LS was charged with this escape - did this not happen around Kansas or somewhere else (?) & they did NOT charge her for this one?
Yeah, I think that's not accurate. So far as I know Kansas hasn't charged her. It doesn't make sense to do it now IMO. Assuming she's found guilty of murder in Colorado she's not going to be extradited to Kansas to face a relatively minor charge.

The only escape charge I know of is the Co jail broom window one that never came close to an actual escape. But she was charged.
JMO

11 hr

Judge Werner: “Ms. Stauch, what you need to understand is I can control the conduct of an awful lot of people in the courtroom, including yours... If that continues, I can have you removed, and the trial will continue without you, and you will sit in a holding cell..."

Allen said about Letecia's behavior, “It’s disrespectful to this court. It’s disrespectful to this process.”

This is not something I could see where I was sitting in the courtroom in the gallery, directly behind Letecia Stauch. Judge Gregory Werner said he was not aware of this either, but also said he will not tolerate that kind of behavior.

District Attorney Michael Allen said he was made aware of photos of Letecia Stauch flipping people off in the courtroom during trial, including witnesses and Gannon’s family.

As the day was wrapping up at the Letecia Stauch murder trial, we also learned one of the jurors knew one of the witnesses. The judge will decide on Monday if they’ll bring in an alternate juror.
I wish the judge directed Leticia to stand while he was warning her.

During cross-examination, attorney Will Cook presented Bethel with a copy of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5), which Cook referred to as the “bible” for psychiatrists diagnosing mental disorders.

Cook asked Bethel if her determination of Stauch’s sanity was made using knowledge from the DSM-5, which Bethel confirmed it was not.

At several points in the trial on Wednesday, where Bethel spent the full day testifying, Stauch could be seen reading the DSM-5 at the defense table.
Well, she is Dr. Stauch.

At the time this story came out, a sheriff in Kansas didn’t know of any charges. I remember El Paso County wouldn’t comment on it because it was “ part of the case”.

Some additional perceptions on why I think LS might take the stand. I am seeing a few similarities with the psycho and narcissistic behaviors of Jodi Arias and LS. Both of them were ungodly cruel in their murdering attacks. Both have to be perceived as being 'right' at all times. Both need to have the last word.
Jodi's 'fog' is Leticia's "insanity". And, even if her defense suggests not to take the stand, Leticia cannot stop herself.
MOO
Both evidently think of themselves as the true victims. Both appear to perceive the world as it makes them important and fulfills THEIR wishes and needs.

I think this is exactly what she planned. I think she probably drugged him prior to this so that he would sleep through the fire until succumbing to smoke inhalation before ultimately being burned alive.

I think she actually gave herself away (as she has often done) during one of her phone calls with Al, I remember her crying and saying something like (i'm paraphrasing) "Do you think I wanted this to happen?!? I thought we would come together as a family over Gannon and get stronger" something to that effect. I remember thinking "That's such a crazy thing to say, to mention having some kind of forethought over the "what will happen after Gannon is gone". I might try to find that phone call but I have to be honest, I dread listening to that voice of hers' screaming and ranting.

I believe she was going to use Gannom's death in a fire to not only hurt Al so that she could comfort him, but to also make herself out to be the traumatized hero who saved the other kids. What I don't understand is if this fire "solution" was in reaponse to having done something to Gannon that she worried he would tell, or if she planned this, wanting to eliminate him when Al went out of town. Another poster had previously wondered about the hike, and if the hike was a ruse to push him off a cliff, but LS didn't have the opportunity. The hike just seems so random, especially if he wasn't feeling good. Maybe her older daughter really was supposed to go on the hike, and LS had planned on her youngest daughter splitting off with HH at some point, leaving LS with Gannon, giving her a chance to hurt him/push him off a cliff. Typing it sounds crazy, but this is the same woman who, in a van speeding down the highway, slipped her cuffs, hit a LE officer in the head with an energy drink and tried to open the van door with her foot.

Editing to add that LS stated that Harley was supposed to go on the hike but had been called into work at Massage Envy at the last minute. She said Harley had originally arranged to have someone cover her shift but that person cancelled. She said she told Harley "you don't want to burn bridges, you need to go in." I highly doubt she told Harley this. I believe she was just embellishing. It will be interesting to find out when/if Harley testifies if any of that story was true.
Thank you for such an interesting post. The motives you’ve presented match a lot of what we know about Letecia.

That would be rich, T giving anyone advice on how to keep a job.

jmo

I don't recall chemicals, but the witness did talk about a 'sustained' flame, which put me in mind of maybe something like a lighter for a gas barbeque or one of those little blowtorches you get for toasting creme brulee or meringues on pie or baked alaska. Very much my own speculation and opinion.

MOO

That is what I thought of when I heard the testimony regarding the carpet that was burned and had a presumed + test for blood.

I can’t recreate the story in my mind, what was said and done that Sun night when the candle incident happened and the recording about the damage to the carpet. The story she implies on the video isn’t the end of it, something else happened, or after, and the stabbing was not with a box cutter if it was 4 inches deep.

JMO

For more than two centuries, state legislatures across the United States have generally supported the idea that individuals with certain degrees of mental illness cannot be held criminally responsible for their actions and should be directed toward medical support, not incarceration. Although people are constitutionally entitled to be found competent to stand trial, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld in March 2020 the notion that there is no constitutional right to an insanity defense. Four states—Kansas, Utah, Idaho, and Montana—have done away with the NGRI defense entirely. Today, about one percent of all felony cases in the nation contain an insanity plea; of those, only around a quarter are successful.

Colorado continues to allow individuals to plead NGRI based on a very strict legal definition. Local attorneys and legal experts explain that the defense should only be considered in the most serious situations, because of the attendant repercussions: In the Centennial State, NGRI acquittees are automatically committed to the state psychiatric hospital for treatment. Unlike convicted criminals, who are sentenced for a set period of time, those who are deemed insane remain at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP) until doctors and the courts agree they are stable and safe enough to reintegrate into the community. Under Colorado law, their sentences aren’t supposed to be influenced by the specifics of their alleged crimes, as they are in some other states. The amount of time to be served is the same for everyone: one day to life.

2015 article, so stats prob need updated:
Twenty-five Coloradans have been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity since 1998, and more than half of them have been granted freedom to live away from the state hospital — some with limited or no supervision, an Associated Press review of records shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan