CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #65

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why then are we so fascinated by mental illness and crime? Well, for one, we are fascinated by the court system. Watch TV—we are inundated by courtroom shows like CSI, Law and Order, Criminal Minds. We are bombarded by information about courts, some accurate, some not. There is intense coverage on legal cases where the insanity defense was successful—John Hinckley and Andrea Yates are two famous cases. Newsworthy coverage suggests NGRI can be counted on as a highly successful defense strategy. This presumption is not correct.
In fact, the insanity defense is used in only 1 percent of all criminal proceedings, and its success rate is only 25 percent of that 1 percent. Therefore, less than 1 in 400 defendants are found not guilty by reason of insanity in this country. A small sample for such intensive coverage that leads us to believe NGRI is used often as a defense. Based on current statistics, it is not and when used is rarely successful.
More at link....

I won't work for LS either. IMO

One study shows that in Washington (state), the NGRI defense is successful 80% of the time and in California, it's 40% of the time. In Ohio it's something like 15% of the time. So it varies according to state/region.

Of people who try the NGRI, 25-30% are found NGRI (and for all kinds of disorders, really, but mostly developmental issues, schizophrenia, brain tumors, and in some cases, drug use; personality disorders have worked as well). I am not a fan of trying to use stats to predict outcomes in particular cases and I won't be able to feel good about this trial until the verdict is in.

I keep trying to find stats just on Colorado, so far am unsuccessful.

IMO. (I've posted the links with the study that shows the state rates a couple of times - one time earlier today, I think).

Dissociation is not day dreaming and missing your turning whilst driving.

Anyway she just said ‘we all dissociate at times’
So even if T did ‘dissociate’ when she killed Gannon. That does not make her NGRI as the defense expert has just stated that we all dissociate sometimes.

This is going to be long. I’m not sure I can watch.

So, she’s just a paid expert to get people diagnosed as insane?

Yes, I believe that's been her primary role in life for more than a decade. Her academic publications are way in the rearview mirror (and mostly not on forensic psychiatry, head injuries OR DID). She's written some popular books, and she has made appearances, done paid lectures, collected fees from attorneys, and self-promoted.

She hasn't published in any forensic psychiatric journals that I can find for the past 20 years. Plenty of other people have, and some of them would have made better defense experts, IMO. Someone more recent and, well, less garrulous.

IMO.

Yes, I believe that's been her primary role in life for more than a decade. Her academic publications are way in the rearview mirror (and mostly not on forensic psychiatry, head injuries OR DID). She's written some popular books, and she has made appearances, done paid lectures, collected fees from attorneys, and self-promoted.

She hasn't published in any forensic psychiatric journals that I can find for the past 20 years. Plenty of other people have, and some of them would have made better defense experts, IMO. Someone more recent and, well, less garrulous.

IMO.
Exactly.
Mediocrity .

Dr Lewis is saying the abused never badmouths the abuser.
If that is true, that may be why Gannon was not telling anyone about Tee’s possible previous abuse of him.

It negates Tee’s assertion that Gannon was her little buddy. Poor kid had to play act the whole time.

all jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member