CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
imo, unknown. Additionally, one of the jurors (female) was released. Perhaps someone else may know. moo

On April, 3, 2023, 18-person jury has been selected, consists of 11 men, seven women.

Six of these jurors will be deemed alternates once evidence and testimony is concluded.
did the judge release the alternates already? Just checking

OHHH, for some reason I was thinking that she just wasn’t licensed in Colorado but I’ve misunderstood.

If she’s not licensed to practice medicine, would she still be considered a therapist/counselor in some regard, or possibly a life coach?

I was under the impression that life coaches were still bound by HIPAA, but I’ve just looked it up and it sounds like that only applies if they’re providing services in a medical setting. (I’m assuming this means in the case where a life coach not licensed to practice medicine works at a practice where other practitioners are licensed)

It seems like she’s operating in a really sketchy grey moral area. From what I understand, someone operating as a life coach shouldn’t be trying to treat issues out of their scope of practice and should refer out if necessary. These are really severe and serious issues she’s supposedly treating, yet she’s not licensed to practice medicine? Clearly it’s morally wrong, but is it actually illegal?

(IMO)
When a defendant uses the NGRI defense, they lose all privacy pertaining to their medical history and/or treatment pursuant to HIPAA.

Also, a physician not licensed to practice medicine in Colorado does not prevent them from testifying as an expert where it's the Court that qualifies the witness to testify in the capacity of an expert.

Colo. R. Evid. 702​

Evid. 702. If scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge will assist the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue, a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education, may testify thereto in the form of an opinion or otherwise.

I don't think the hours of deliberation counts are accurate. We aren't counting meals, breaks, time spent moving/reviewing evidence, electing a foreperson, going over the charges and paperwork, etc. I know they were sent back over 6 hours ago but they actually maybe have only been deliberating for half that time. We just don't know what is going on in that room.
Thank you for this reminder. Doing my breathing exercises now, and your comment is making them more effective.

Removing all emotion from this trial - was there any weak point in the state's case that the jury could agonize over?
So ,yeah this one thing hit me weird that the officers in her "escape plan" testified about, which hit me as shady and like they should have known better. So IMO i think they put the monster can where she could access it on purpose. I think it was immature and stupid and it looks like they were baiting bad behavior. So those woman appear to have thought it be funny to lay a monster can at the feet of a monster. It is not a good look .

That was before my dive into true crime so that’s not one I could’ve thought of! Thanks for letting me know :)
Well, Johnny Depp in Virginia last year; But that’s Johnny Depp… And for the record, the first week of that trial was so ill advertised (apparently nobody knew about it), CourtTV actually paid for Vinnie Politan to travel to a local coffee shop and brief people; after which the gallery line exploded into insanity.

Pretty sure the alternates are kept under subpoena until a verdict is reached. That way if a juror gets sick or is otherwise unable to finish they still have the 12 to render a verdict.

ETA: I don't think it's called a subpoena for jurors but idk the term.

thank you may all be seated records did reflect that the 12 jurors
have left the courtroom um we get to this point in every case almost any case it lasts
longer than a day and I always feel terrible for the people that are the alternates because
you have put in just as much time effort and energy as everyone else you have
dedicated a lot of time to this case over the last
seven weeks eight weeks wherever we are um but you don't get to deliberate
yet which is why um it is possible and we just had it
happen last week in a different case where one of the jurors had to be replaced by an alternate
um so this is going to sound a little strange I'm going to release you but uh
you're not excused from jury service what that means is that you're not going to be deliberating back with a 12 but
you still cannot discuss this case among yourselves cannot discuss the case with anyone else cannot do your own
independent research about any aspect of the case the reason for that is it is possible that I would still need your
services if something were to happen to one of the jurors that is deliberating
um what I'm going to do is I'm going to have uh Mr Sproul take you back to an
um an alternate alternate Jury Room uh because you guys have two of them back there but I want to have a conversation
with you about um some security things and some uh publicity things and also some services
that we offer so I want to have that conversation with you um uh before we discuss anything further
um and you're welcome to stay in that jury room for the rest of the day you're down here I don't know what you want to
do we can talk about that but we'll talk about all that back there I do have certificates of service for you and I
also have a questionnaire which I'm going to ask you to fill out it's something that the state of Colorado
sends out to jurors so if you would take the time to fill it out and I'll be back
to talk with you in about 10 minutes or so I'd greatly appreciate it all rise
for the jurors please
4:34:34 I think you may all be seated records should reflect the jury has left the courtroom

Who thinks we will get a verdict today? What time is it there? It’s 7pm here, so probably only just past lunch, I wonder what time they will deliberate til today, I’d imagine if they are close to a verdict that they might stay later if allowed.

Please let justice for Gannon be served x

Who thinks we will get a verdict today? What time is it there? It’s 7pm here, so probably only just past lunch, I wonder what time they will deliberate til today, I’d imagine if they are close to a verdict that they might stay later if allowed.

Please let justice for Gannon be served x
It's 12:05 pm MT currently

When a defendant uses the NGRI defense, they lose all privacy pertaining to their medical history and/or treatment pursuant to HIPAA.

Also, a physician not licensed to practice medicine in Colorado does not prevent them from testifying as an expert where it's the Court that qualifies the witness to testify in the capacity of an expert.

Colo. R. Evid. 702​

Evid. 702. If scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge will assist the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue, a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education, may testify thereto in the form of an opinion or otherwise.

Oh, I was thinking more in the case of just Dr. Lewis’s practice in general since she apparently does see people privately. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but from my understanding, she does still see clients privately, right? Having a hard time finding a current answer to that, but according to this Yale Medicine article she was still seeing patients privately as of 2007

I’m not overly concerned with Letecia’s privacy, but I can’t imagine that there’s much privacy for her other clients if her interview with Letecia was conducted so informally.

All MOO

It's 12:05 pm MT currently
Plenty of time left for them to reach a verdict today then hopefully. Seems like the jury are taking their job seriously and making sure they are thorough with their deliberations.

Keeping positive til given a reason to worry. 7 hours isn’t long atall really.

Pretty sure the alternates are kept under subpoena until a verdict is reached. That way if a juror gets sick or is otherwise unable to finish they still have the 12 to render a verdict.

ETA: I don't think it's called a subpoena for jurors but idk the term.
Judge Werner instructed the alternates on Friday they were being dismissed but not released by the court, and how each alternate remains under the jury admonitions previously given by the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member