CO - James Holmes Trial - *Closing Arguments* *Verdict Watch*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever watched a trail where the defense didn't delay, delay, delay.....

And, sorry, but if a juror needs a therapy dog during deliberations then that juror needs to be replaced. IMO

I think the therapy dogs could be there for some light relief from what is a very stressful and difficult job. I don't think the jurors need them because they can't cope - more to just spend 5 minutes thinking about something other than this mass murder :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:boohoo:
I really do not think this is about GB's future. The defense will say that just to make it look that is what GB is doing.

The State had a GREAT team...the Defense lawyers, individually are good but they are not a team. The team work is not there...they seem to be fighting each other and do not work together. They do not even talk to each other...watch the State, they communicate, the Defense does not.

The defense has done delay tactics all along, throwing anything against the wall. They just do not want the evidence to come in again and again to remind the jury their client is a murderer. They do not want their clients words to come back into play and have GB say them or have them on the slides.

JMO

Well there are those sticky notes that Ms. Nelson passes Mr. King.....

This is a very feeble attempt to break the prosecution closing and delay it and then everything will be after lunch and thus his rebuttal closing will be at the end of a very long day....King can do what he wants he is so weak compared to GB...he might get the judge to modify a couple of things but doubt GB will have to do much. I just can't imagine defending this . Not a fan of death penalty here but this one should get it.

Anyone have an opinion on some of the thoughts that are going around about GB rejecting the plea to further his political aspirations?? Apparently this has alot of traction in Colorado. He may well have those aspirations and clearly he has shown how capable he is but I understand that a large number of victims and families suppport this process and wanted their day in court. Any thoughts?

Someone posted an article about it recently. The State asked for additional info from the defense (it wasn't disclosed what the specific info they asked for) when the defense offered the plea. The defense refused to turn over the additional info to the state. So, IMO, they had no reason to consider the plea if the defense wouldn't cooperate on their own request for a plea.

Not sure about political aspirations but I do know that he has pursued the DP vigorously throughout his career.

The Gazette ‏@csgazette · 2m2 minutes ago
James Holmes' trial: 9 key aspects as closings begin http://gtne.ws/1MrPl7W #theatershooting #jamesholmes

But then again where were they the other day when the jurors view the shooter naked????

Lol!!! I bet many viewers needed some cuddles after that video!

But then again where were they the other day when the jurors view the shooter naked????

They should have had "Barf Bags" handy dandy for those juror's given what was described to me!!

This is a very feeble attempt to break the prosecution closing and delay it and then everything will be after lunch and thus his rebuttal closing will be at the end of a very long day....King can do what he wants he is so weak compared to GB...he might get the judge to modify a couple of things but doubt GB will have to do much. I just can't imagine defending this . Not a fan of death penalty here but this one should get it.

Anyone have an opinion on some of the thoughts that are going around about GB rejecting the plea to further his political aspirations?? Apparently this has alot of traction in Colorado. He may well have those aspirations and clearly he has shown how capable he is but I understand that a large number of victims and families suppport this process and wanted their day in court. Any thoughts?

My 2 cents.

Im not from there so havent heard about that but I cannot believe he would do that. There was a nationwide cry for justice in this case and just like the Jodi Arias case, there are some cases that scream out for DP and this is 1 of them.

Personally my own viewpoint I have learned so much about how the DP hardly ever gets carried out and how it gives the inmate such leverage with people coming out of the woodwork to support them that I have learned that a LWOP sentence is probably best but in certain cases like this it becomes the "principle of the thing" and if nothing more, it serves a purpose of putting an exclamation on the verdict and sentence that the person got the most severe form of punishment he deserved.

Personally though I would only want this DP verdict in states where it is likely to be carried out. There are a few states where a DP actually does mean the DP. But so many others the inmates just languish around for years and years and its kind of a big game in carrying out the sentence. Which is silly IMO. We as a society should either have it or not. But we should not play games with 10+ years of appeals that drag on and on indefinitely.

As for the Service Dogs.

Anyone can and may need them...even the Jurors. They are stressed over this case just as anyone else, but in a different way.

We do not know who requested the SD which in this case is a Therapy Dog. The Jurors probably did not request them at all. The Courts may have requested the Therapy Dog or the Therapy Dog as a group may go to the Court House on certain days to greet people, a prior arrangement and today just happened to be the day. They may not be there just for this case. They have been used for children that have to testify. The dog will sit next to the child as they testify and the child can bend over pet the dog at any time. They have found out that the child is able to give testimony with the calming affect of the Therapy Dog.

No matter what, the SD/Therapy Dog and handlers got an prior approval to be in the court house to greet. IF the Therapy Dogs are going to greet the Jurors I know this Judge would have to give his okay, they just cannot 'walk in' and contaminate the 'do not talk about the case'....the defense would have a field day with that!

I am sure the Court House has rules pertaining to this, like hospitals do, because of illnesses etc. A SD can go anywhere depending on their qualifications, the Therapy Dog may have restrictions....you want to read up on it, go to the FBI web site. The FBI handles SD requirements and laws. The Court House would have rules because of the cases heard and all involved, they just cannot have anyone walk in at anytime, furless or furry, to give comfort, and those are under the therapy dog, which may have restrictions. A service dog that aids their handler can go anywhere...that is the law.

OK...that is my rant...I would go back to lurk mode...well actually have to go make tons of meatballs for the grandgirls.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 38s38 seconds ago
Lawyers and Judge are back! #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 55s56 seconds ago
Judge and attorneys are back in the courtroom. #theatershooting

As for the Service Dogs.

Anyone can and may need them...even the Jurors. They are stressed over this case just as anyone else, but in a different way.

We do not know who requested the SD which in this case is a Therapy Dog. The Jurors probably did not request them at all. The Courts may have requested the Therapy Dog or the Therapy Dog as a group may go to the Court House on certain days to greet people, a prior arrangement and today just happened to be the day. They may not be there just for this case. They have been used for children that have to testify. The dog will sit next to the child as they testify and the child can bend over pet the dog at any time. They have found out that the child is able to give testimony with the calming affect of the Therapy Dog.

No matter what, the SD/Therapy Dog and handlers got an prior approval to be in the court house to greet. IF the Therapy Dogs are going to greet the Jurors I know this Judge would have to give his okay, they just cannot 'walk in' and contaminate the 'do not talk about the case'....the defense would have a field day with that!

I am sure the Court House has rules pertaining to this, like hospitals do, because of illnesses etc. A SD can go anywhere depending on their qualifications, the Therapy Dog may have restrictions....you want to read up on it, go to the FBI web site. The FBI handles SD requirements and laws. The Court House would have rules because of the cases heard and all involved, they just cannot have anyone walk in at anytime, furless or furry, to give comfort, and those are under the therapy dog, which may have restrictions. A service dog that aids their handler can go anywhere...that is the law.

OK...that is my rant...I would go back to lurk mode...well actually have to go make tons of meatballs for the grandgirls.

I love that children can have a therapy dog with them while they give evidence. What a great idea!

My 2 cents.

Im not from there so havent heard about that but I cannot believe he would do that. There was a nationwide cry for justice in this case and just like the Jodi Arias case, there are some cases that scream out for DP and this is 1 of them.

Personally my own viewpoint I have learned so much about how the DP hardly ever gets carried out and how it gives the inmate such leverage with people coming out of the woodwork to support them that I have learned that a LWOP sentence is probably best but in certain cases like this it becomes the "principle of the thing" and if nothing more, it serves a purpose of putting an exclamation on the verdict and sentence that the person got the most severe form of punishment he deserved.

Personally though I would only want this DP verdict in states where it is likely to be carried out. There are a few states where a DP actually does mean the DP. But so many others the inmates just languish around for years and years and its kind of a big game in carrying out the sentence. Which is silly IMO. We as a society should either have it or not. But we should not play games with 10+ years of appeals that drag on and on indefinitely.

You stated it better than my attempt. If you are going to use it as punishment than make sure you use it....

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, Colorado is one of those states that really doesnt execute their death row inmates if the last link is correct.
So, it is more a symbolic victory for the state with JH getting the DP.

"Since 1977 executed only one prisoner, and may thus be considered as de facto abolitionist since 11 October 2007."

Found these interesting links about Colorado Death Row.

http://www.doc.state.co.us/death-row-faq

http://www.doc.state.co.us/death-row-statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Colorado

LOL!
Case they cited - Prosecutor showed slide of the defendant with the words "Guilty, Guilty, Guilty"! I actually really laughed out loud when Judge read that!

Thank you everyone for the tweets and updates! My stomach is in knots. Btw, just from memory I think we only have 3 people on death row here, all convicted and sentenced in Arapahoe County. I know GB was involved with the fight over Governor Hickenlooper suspending Nathan Dunlap's execution last year or so.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 2m2 minutes ago
LIVE NOW: #theatershooting trial in session http://www.courtchatter.com/#!james-holmes

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden · 42s43 seconds ago
#TheaterShooting Judge back, talking about Holmes pics DA wants to use that are captioned "Do you believe him?" Live: http://link.kdvr.com/1HtoMvA

BBM- This tweeter is incorrect! Judge was citing cases the defense used in their objections. Not that GB has this pic. He better correct this!

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 1m1 minute ago
Judge has reviewed some cases cited by the defense in their objection to prosecutor's PowerPoint slides. #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 1m1 minute ago
Judge is indicating that the cases cited by defense are more extreme examples of prosecutors going over the top. #theatershooting

Northeast Denver ‏@NEDenver · 2m2 minutes ago
Closing arguments underway in Colorado #theatershooting case http://dlvr.it/BWrPwk

NewsRadio 850 KOA ‏@850KOA · 1m1 minute ago
Judge Samour is amazing. Lots of research done in only 20 min. to get to ruling on def. objections. #theatershooting http://850koa.com/live

Hi Rhino-Esq...... Try not to worry. Easy for me to say that I know! (((Hugs)))

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden · 2m2 minutes ago
#TheaterShooting Judge details cases used in Def objection, including 1 in which DA called expert witnesses “mercenary soldiers/prostitutes

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq · 50s51 seconds ago
judge inclined to let state attack defense witnesses even tho he just said it wasnt it an attack #Theatershooting

NewsRadio 850 KOA ‏@850KOA · 27s28 seconds ago
Judge rules out 1 slide for prosecution, upholds use of three others. More rulings to come. #theatershooting Listen: http://850koa.com/live

Will C. Holden ‏@will_c_holden · 1m1 minute ago
#TheaterShooting DA slide saying Holmes "deceives everyone” is stricken. Judge: Evidence doesn't reflect it. Live: http://link.kdvr.com/1HtoMvA

I believe the current Governor of Colorado has put a hold on any death row executions during his term (which is now his second term). It will fall onto the next elected Governor to decide if any executions will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member