Deceased/Not Found CO - Jepsy Amaga Kallungi, 26, Colorado Springs, 21 March 2019 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FEB 8, 2023
Jury selection in the murder trial for Dane Kallungi continued again Wednesday. ... Melissa Henry with our partners at KKTV 11 news was in the courtroom; she says the judge read allowed a list of possible witnesses to potential jurors to make sure none of them know anyone who could take the stand. The list had more than twenty names on it including Dane Kallungi’s ex-wife. According to court papers, Kallungi allegedly confessed to her. Jepsy Kallungi’s friends and family are also on the list. Jepsy’s mother says she wants to testify remotely from Hong Kong, but whether prosecutors will call her remains unknown.

@Seattle1, it sounds like Jepsy's mother didn't make it to the US for the trial. :(

Looks like the jury has been selected yesterday....

Feb. 9, 2023
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - After a delay in the trial last fall, 12 jurors have been selected in the murder trial. The list of witnesses *could include the victim’s own mother.
[.....]
The judge read a list of more than 20 names that could be potential witnesses in the trial. To ensure none of the jurors knew them. That list contained friends of Jepsy Amaga Kallungi and the ex wife of Dane Kallungi, who he allegedly confessed to, according to court papers.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
2/9/23
8:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON KALLUNGI, DANE Jury Trial D212021CR3418 El Paso County DIV 5-ROOM S501 (South Tower)

2/10/23
8:30 AM 1Hr IN PERSON KALLUNGI, DANE Jury Trial D212021CR3418 El Paso County DIV 5-ROOM S501 (South Tower)

2/14/23

2/15/23

2/16/23

2/17/23

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

Thursday, February 9th:
*Trial Begins with Opening Statements (@ 8:30am MT) - CO - Jepsy Adlawan Amaga Kallungi (26) (Mom last spoke to her on March 20, 2019 & reported missing April 4, 2019 by her mother, Colorado Springs; still missing) - *Dane Oliver Kallungi (36 @ time of crime/38/now 39) husband. Warrant issued (6/1/21) & arrested (6/16/21 in Albuquerque, New Mexico & extradited on 6/28/21) & charged (6/17/21) & arraigned (5/31/22) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond.
Trial began & ended on 2/7-2/8/23 with jury selection.
Trial set to begin on 2/9/23
. (thru 2/17/23).

Case & Court info from 6/18/21 to 2/6/23 reference post #354 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...o-springs-21-march-2019-arrest.436661/page-18

2/7/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 1: Jury selection began & should last a few days, no additional info & opening statements are expected to begin later this week. Jury selection continues on Wednesday, 2/8/23.
2/8/23 Wednesday, Jury Selection Day 2: 12 jurors have been selected in the murder trial. The list of witnesses *could include the victim’s own mother. The judge read a list of more than 20 names that could be potential witnesses in the trial. To ensure none of the jurors knew them. That list contained friends of Jepsy & the ex wife of Kallungi, who he allegedly confessed to, according to court papers. Opening statements begin on 2/9/23.

FEB 9, 2023
[...]

Perroni said that the prosecution will be playing audio tape of two separate confessions that Dane Kallungi allegedly made to killing Jepsy Kallungi; one in 2019 and one in 2021.

The prosecution played a brief clip of one of the confessions during its opening statements where Dane Kallungi can be heard telling his ex-wife, who will later testify in the trial, "I grabbed her ... I was trying to stop words from coming out of her mouth ... It looked like I did some damage."

[...]

Stafford alleges that his client confessed because his ex-wife claimed she wouldn't allow him to see his son unless he "did the right thing," and that he confessed to CSPD detective Mike Lee in 2021 because he told Dane Kallungi that he would "help him," if he did.

Following opening statements four witnesses testified in court in the morning portion of the trial to establish the timeline in which Jepsy Kallungi went missing...

[...]

In the afternoon portion of the hearing the prosecution called the man whom Jepsy Kallungi was having a sexual relationship with outside of her marriage to testify. The man testified that he and Jepsy Kallungi were seeing each other, but that he hadn't heard from her since the last time he saw her in March 2019.

During cross-examination the man told Stafford that Jepsy Kallungi had told him around a week prior to her disappearance that "she was done living in the United States," and that she was considering moving back to the Philippines. The man added that he assumed Jepsy Kallungi had moved back to the Philippines when he stopped hearing from her in March 2019.

[...]

During cross-examination the man told Stafford that Jepsy Kallungi had told him around a week prior to her disappearance that "she was done living in the United States," and that she was considering moving back to the Philippines. The man added that he assumed Jepsy Kallungi had moved back to the Philippines when he stopped hearing from her in March 2019.
^^rsbm

Eeek! Is this a prosecution witness testifying that JK said she was done in the US and wanted to leave for the Philippines when they have no body? Hope that confession by the husband stands up tall during the trial. I think we now know why he wanted to go to trial and did not take a plea deal. JMO

^^rsbm

Eeek! Is this a prosecution witness testifying that JK said she was done in the US and wanted to leave for the Philippines when they have no body? Hope that confession by the husband stands up tall during the trial. I think we now know why he wanted to go to trial and did not take a plea deal. JMO
Really that ought to go toward her trying to exit the relationship, as we know the most dangerous time for a woman.

Sigh. The whole lot of them, sipping daiquiris on the beach in Ecuador-- JepsyK, StacyP, SuzanneM.

If only they had escaped. With their lives.

JMO

FEB 9, 2023
[...]

Perroni said that the prosecution will be playing audio tape of two separate confessions that Dane Kallungi allegedly made to killing Jepsy Kallungi; one in 2019 and one in 2021.

The prosecution played a brief clip of one of the confessions during its opening statements where Dane Kallungi can be heard telling his ex-wife, who will later testify in the trial, "I grabbed her ... I was trying to stop words from coming out of her mouth ... It looked like I did some damage."

[...]

Stafford alleges that his client confessed because his ex-wife claimed she wouldn't allow him to see his son unless he "did the right thing," and that he confessed to CSPD detective Mike Lee in 2021 because he told Dane Kallungi that he would "help him," if he did.

Following opening statements four witnesses testified in court in the morning portion of the trial to establish the timeline in which Jepsy Kallungi went missing...

[...]

In the afternoon portion of the hearing the prosecution called the man whom Jepsy Kallungi was having a sexual relationship with outside of her marriage to testify. The man testified that he and Jepsy Kallungi were seeing each other, but that he hadn't heard from her since the last time he saw her in March 2019.

[...]

Thank you for the link to this article... but... it does not work for me. Is there a list of who the witnesses were? I like to put those in my notes - IF they are there. And does it have the prosecutor's full name & this defense attorney Stafford - first name?
TIA if you can provide those for me! :)

Friday, February 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 8:30am MT) - CO - Jepsy Adlawan Amaga Kallungi (26) (Mom last spoke to her on March 20, 2019 & reported missing April 4, 2019 by her mother, Colorado Springs; still missing) - *Dane Oliver Kallungi (36 @ time of crime/38/now 39) husband. Warrant issued (6/1/21) & arrested (6/16/21 in Albuquerque, New Mexico & extradited on 6/28/21) & charged (6/17/21) & arraigned (5/31/22) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond.
Trial began & ended on 2/7-2/8/23 with jury selection.
Trial began on 2/9/23
. (thru 2/17/23).

Case & Court info from 6/18/21 to 2/6/23 & Jury Selection 2/7 to 2/8/23 reference post #364 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...o-springs-21-march-2019-arrest.436661/page-19

2/9/23 Thursday, Trial Day 1: Opening statements by prosecutor & defense attorney Stafford.
State witnesses: 4 individuals – no names – yet.
For more info see post #365 (article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...o-springs-21-march-2019-arrest.436661/page-19
Trial continues on Friday, 2/10/23.

Thank you for the link to this article... but... it does not work for me. Is there a list of who the witnesses were? I like to put those in my notes - IF they are there. And does it have the prosecutor's full name & this defense attorney Stafford - first name?
@Niner The defense attorney is Jonathon Stafford. The article says four witnesses - two CSPD police officers testifying they did a wellness check but doesn’t name them. It names CSPD Detective Mike Lee testifying in the afternoon but that is all. It also talks about her boyfriend testifying but doesn’t name him either.

@Niner The defense attorney is Jonathon Stafford. The article says four witnesses - two CSPD police officers testifying they did a wellness check but doesn’t name them. It names CSPD Detective Mike Lee testifying in the afternoon but that is all. It also talks about her boyfriend testifying but doesn’t name him either.

Thanks a bunch! I will correct my notes. :)

The prosecuting attorney is Christina Perroni.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back