CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Otto, rewards do make a difference, as does awareness as in the recent Mickey Shunick(LA) investigation:

http://www.katc.com/news/new-detail...nting-in-mickey-shunick-case/#!prettyPhoto/0/
Mickey Shunick case

RE: Rewards:
http://www.crimestoppersusvi.org/howitworks.aspx
(snipped)
Does Crime Stoppers Work?

The answer, quite simply, is YES.
But the success of a Crime Stoppers program is more than just in the statistics. Other benefits enjoyed by communities with successful Crime Stoppers include:

A greater awareness in the community that there is a crime problem.
A willingness within the community to fight back against crime.
Improved relationships between the community, media and police.
The cooperative effort becomes a significant deterrent to crime

Rewards fron the family would mean something to the family if it was a worthwhile family donation ... if the remains were unfound ... but it seems to me that after the remains have been located, it's up to investigators to solve it and put up a reward. Why should the family post a reward for the abduction of a criminal ... the fact that their child was a victim does not mean that they should put up money to apprehend the murderer.

You lost me. What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about a girlfriend nor anything about paying rent.

And roofers don't really hustle for work. The receive calls and bid on jobs. They're not going to be out at 7 a.m. knocking on doors to ask people if they want to get their roof fixed.

Some roofers do hustle for work. My husbands brother years ago used to canvas neighborhoods looking for damaged/old roofs and knock on door leaving his card. He usually had a crew to do the work and he would go get more "jobs".

Some roofers do hustle for work. My husbands brother years ago used to canvas neighborhoods looking for damaged/old roofs and knock on door leaving his card. He usually had a crew to do the work and he would go get more "jobs".

In our area we have all kinds of people soliciting for jobs through the neighborhoods. Maid service, General Maintenance, Roofing and Handy Man Painters.

Kelly

I keep wondering about individuals who have killed animals in the past. I found three different individuals who lived within three miles of Jessica, and each has been charged with animal cruelty for attempting to kill an animal. One lived three miles south of Jessica and four miles southeast of the area where her body was discovered. I also found a 1998 case where two dogs were found decapitated in a field in Broomfield.

Good tip, call it in.

Ok. Something just hit me, an alternate to one of a million scrambled thoughts / ideas / possible theories re: the backpack:

As a former resident of Superior and the same subdivision where the backpack was found, I can tell you that there is not a strong LE presence there. So as to not reveal my identity incase the perp is local and reading this, I can not elaborate further, but it has to do with jurisdictions. After 9pm, Superior goes to sleep. There is no activity in the neighborhoods, only a few places open in the area after 9. What if the guy was out having some drinks (There is a strong link to alcohol abuse and child abduction murders, as mentioned in the statistical analysis / great article: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/201253NCJRS.pdf

Perhaps he still had the backpack, hadn't decided what he was going to do with it yet, and saw a cop behind him or got paranoid about being pulled over on his way home and having the backpack searched...so he panicked, and put it there....he knew it was quiet as a mouse, no cops around, that it would blend in for long enough in a residential neighborhood with kids for him to clear the area...I know, it does seem like it was a purposeful thing, intentionally planned and placed, but I'm just brainstorming here from a local perspective and alternate viewpoint...people are very paranoid about DUIs up here, as they should be. (I got to say, this state seems to be the most responsible place I've ever lived, as related to people drinking and driving.)

EDIT: OK, THIS IS WISHFUL THINKING ON MY PART, the placement was probably intentional and part of his sinister game, don't know what I was thinking. :(

I think your post had some useful possibilities in it.

I am on the fence as to whether this guy was motivated only by wanting to taunt the police or whether there was also an element of fear that fed into the decision to leave it there.

If there was an element of fear, I think it was because he was in some way threatened by the LE presence in the perimeter around Jessica's home.

But it may not have had any fear behind it at all, just the desire to send a really nasty message of "I can go anywhere and you won't see me."

Did people in Superior have their rooves redone this past summer?

As a resident of Superior up until just a few months ago, I can tell you there are a whoooole bunch of landscape workers, maintenance workers, etc. everywhere. There were some burgularies which made me very aware of everyone in the neighborhood and uneasy about all the different workers coming and going, virtually impossible to keep track of. There is a huge rental community very close to where her backpack was found, I'd say 1.5 miles. The rental community is so large, it may even have its own zip code. The property has 1200 plus units and always has work being done on it. It is one of the more affordable rental properties with a lower price point in the Boulder area. It is a rental community which is considered to be somewhat transitional by the locals, meaning everyone lives there at some point or another while looking for permanent housing in the area.

As a resident of Superior up until just a few months ago, I can tell you there are a whoooole bunch of landscape workers, maintenance workers, etc. everywhere. There were some burgularies which made me very aware of everyone in the neighborhood and uneasy about all the different workers coming and going, virtually impossible to keep track of. There is a huge rental community very close to where her backpack was found, I'd say 1.5 miles. The rental community is so large, it may even have its own zip code. The property has 1200 plus units and always has work being done on it. It is one of the more affordable rental properties with a lower price point in the Boulder area. It is a rental community which is considered to be somewhat transitional by the locals, meaning everyone lives there at some point or another while looking for permanent housing in the area.

:waitasec: You know, if its ok to quote myself, the more I think about this, the more I think this is plausible. The abductor could have had her Friday, left her at home (or disposed of her) . Then he could've gone to work the next day in Superior (bringing the backpack with him to toss it away from his residence, meanwhile having an excuse to be in the area and find an opportunity when nobody was looking, especially after work.) With aaaaallll the workers, most of them illegal I'm sure, it would be virtually impossible to trace him to it.

(again, an idea based solely on local perspective)

Four girls snatched off the street, one survived. Thank goodness. One fewer freak on the street ...

Good Morning all,

I have been trying to figure out how to say this because the thought of this whole thing turns my stomach. I could NEVER be a first responder and thank you to all that are.

Animals and human remains. I thought I had once read somewhere that is most cases animals will stay away from eating huimans unless they are starving. There is still plenty of natural food out as winter has not set in. Maybe a hunter can enlighten me? Is that true.
Either way because of that I am steering towards that no animal touched her.

It was really good to read a complete, and assuming accurate profile. This one feels right on. Why would the FBI not put that out to people? They do seem stuck on this guy being a family member (of someone in the public, and local). But the rest seems to match, not having much other profile info from the FBI.

It's only logical that he has to be a part of a family because it's not like Jessica turned over a rock and out he popped fully formed. <just kidding>

I think that the FBI is assuming that this perp is young enough to have living parents and siblings if not married and with children of his own. Those people may be the ones closest enough to him to notice the sort of behavioural changes they described.

But it's hard, it is really really hard to turn in your own family member. David Kaczynski, younger brother of the Unabomber, has written about how difficult and heartwrenching the decision was. He did it because he felt morally compelled to but he felt terrible about it.

He did collect the $1 million award offered but he didn't do it for the reward; he paid off his legal expenses and donated the rest of the money to the families of his brother's victims.

So I think the FBI is aware of how extremely difficult it is for a family member to turn in one of their loved ones, particularly if they don't have the virtual mountain of evidence (in the form of his letters and the published manifesto) that David Kaczynski had.

Plus there is the fear that if a family member is wrong, then they have in some way betrayed their loved one by believing something so awful about that person.

My mind boggles when I think of the dilemma someone would be in if they started to suspect someone in their own family.

Good Morning all,

I have been trying to figure out how to say this because the thought of this whole thing turns my stomach. I could NEVER be a first responder and thank you to all that are.

Animals and human remains. I thought I had once read somewhere that is most cases animals will stay away from eating huimans unless they are starving. There is still plenty of natural food out as winter has not set in. Maybe a hunter can enlighten me? Is that true.

I think there are so many examples of animals eating humans, dead or alive, that it can't possibly be true that they avoid it. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rewards fron the family would mean something to the family if it was a worthwhile family donation ... if the remains were unfound ... but it seems to me that after the remains have been located, it's up to investigators to solve it and put up a reward. Why should the family post a reward for the abduction of a criminal ... the fact that their child was a victim does not mean that they should put up money to apprehend the murderer.

Not necessarily that they *should*, but it makes total sense if they did, because they want their daughter's killer caught, of course. The reward would be for a tip leading to an arrest.

JMO

Good Morning all,

The organs contain the most nutrients and is normally preferred over other body parts by scavengers.

felons can not have a concealed carry permit. not in any state. and i seriously doubt any criminal would have a concealed carry permit. you have to take a class, you have to your fingerprints put into LE database, your have to have a psych background check, and criminal backgroud check. I can't think of any crime done by a concealed carry holder. These are law abiding citizens. Criminals don't abide by laws and will obtain a gun illegaly and don't care about laws restricting them and will not want their fingerprints on file.

I can think of one in particular because one of the victims was a high school friend. Her husband who had a CC permit came home on a Friday, shot my friend to death, then their 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son, then himself.

He was in debt and had a history of depression and alcoholism. Oddly enough in the months before the murders, he sent a letter to the school board expressing concern over a teacher at his son's school who brought a loaded gun to school. She was subsequently fired.

There are many more stories and statistics like this and I am not trying to turn this into a gun debate but it is erroneous to say that CC permit holders don't ever commit gun related crimes. They do.

http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

and Jessica wasn't shot (that we know of) so how did we get here, lol?

What if this guy is on a bicycle!
What if he has no car!

This could be a reason for dismemberment easier to dispose of and he can carry it in a plastic bag.There could even be another bag they are looking for.And another disposal site.
No one would even see him in the dark!

I dont know about Colorado but here in Florida you wldnt believe how many men have no cars and are all riding bikes. Many homeless most DUI's and then there are those that cant afford a car. Or those that avoid a license because of criminal backgrounds.

Just a thought!

Not necessarily that they *should*, but it makes total sense if they did, because they want their daughter's killer caught, of course. The reward would be for a tip leading to an arrest.

JMO

Wouldnt that be where Crimestoppers comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl