TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Elizabeth had a decent life insurance policy (confirmed). Sergio remarried shortly after (confirmed). He also has a new house (confirmed).

I understand the remarrying thing could be cultural. In my culture, even though a lot of marriages are arranged and you can't call them "love" marriages, any husband would be hesitant to remarry so soon after even a divorce. Much less a murder of a spouse. JMO.
I would call that benefitting.

Elizabeth had a decent life insurance policy (confirmed). Sergio remarried shortly after (confirmed). He also has a new house (confirmed).

I understand the remarrying thing could be cultural. In my culture, even though a lot of marriages are arranged and you can't call them "love" marriages, any husband would be hesitant to remarry so soon after even a divorce. Much less a murder of a spouse. JMO.
Who did he marry?

Greetings!

I too have some ties to the Nerdverse- but with a faction centered on complex board games with elaborately painted figurines.

Anyways.....

This non cosplay nerd faction is pretty balanced as a group. Focus on the games can be intense. Some participants have uhmm.... "incomplete" social skills. Others enjoy "OG" respect in the group. But, most have outside interests and lives: boy friends, girl friends, spouses. Some have good jobs. One has grand children. Lives separate from the group are common.

But....

A forum member mentioned that her cosplay / fan nerd group (different genre than Star Wars) had a very noticeable minority of people who were "in deep". They derived all, or nearly all, of their friends, self esteem, social prestige and in some cases, "chosen family" from the cosplay world. Cosplay related "situations" and jealosies could get dramatic- fast.

So....

What are your observations of the Star Wars cosplay faction of the Nerdverse? Are they balanced as a group? Or, are there noticeable numbers of "in deep" participants with disproportionate levels of self esteem, friends and social prestige invested in Star Wars cosplay?
Your post, and questions you pose align with my theory. This tragic and cowardly murder was very personal, and the result of a perceived injury of some sort. I agree there is a strong possibility this is tied to their cosplay affiliation. IMO, LE doesn’t need to look too far for answers. It is also possible that several associates know what happened, but have some pact to remain quiet to protect their fantasy bubble.

This is 100% amateur opinion and speculation

The Barazas were involved in a charity organization that evolved from members' love of Star Wars. not a cosplay faction. They dressed in the authorized and approved gear, for the purpose of drawing a larger audience to get more donations for a specific charity, appearances that are applied for and approved by the organization. The victim died in a hospital that she had made (Storm Trooper) appearances at, for the morale of children. Make-A-Wish is a "partner organization".

How do you know this to be true? Source?
Interesting post.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I would call that benefitting.
Some people have a hard time being alone, and quickly jump in to another relationship after the death of a spouse. However, I agree, if the surviving spouse received monies as a result of demise, it could be considered benefits. Albeit, as a result of unfathomable tragedy.

Yes, there is a reason. So far, no one has shown that anyone benefitted in any way since this happened. (Speculation is not showing any proof). LE has done an exhaustive investigation of the person most always assumed responsible (spouse, BF). Why would a killer need to make drive-bys around the neighborhood during the night if they were just waiting for a call to tell them the coast was clear? All of the driving around is inefficient and an unnecessary risk in your scenario.
Perhaps they were driving around to get up their nerve, or make sure the husband left.

We've been over this before, too.

Someone like Sergio is very young and had no children with Liz. To my knowledge, Sergio has not cashed in on her life insurance policy, and he has a child with his new wife. If ever a time to reach for more money, a child would certainly be a catalyst. I read an interview before that said him and his new wife bonded over loss, as she had lost her sister: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza? Case of Tomball woman shot while setting up garage sale remains unsolved 5 years later.

Some people love being married, and Sergio may be one of them. We don't know what their dynamic was like, but maybe he loved having a wife to come home to every night. We don't know much else past that so the rest is speculative. Not saying that Sergio is, but many men marry solely for the purpose of having someone to do their cooking, cleaning, and laundry.

On the flipside, someone like Brandon Bevers getting married again would have looked highly suspicious for some time. He had teen girls with his wife and lost her in a very sudden manner. Wreckless spending and a quick new wife would have been a very, very bad look for him.

One more example is my great Uncle Dee. He must be in his 90s by now, but his wife passed from natural causes when he was in his 70s or so. About a week later he married a woman that looked EXACTLY like her.

We've been over this before, too.

Someone like Sergio is very young and had no children with Liz. To my knowledge, Sergio has not cashed in on her life insurance policy, and he has a child with his new wife. If ever a time to reach for more money, a child would certainly be a catalyst. I read an interview before that said him and his new wife bonded over loss, as she had lost her sister: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza? Case of Tomball woman shot while setting up garage sale remains unsolved 5 years later.

Some people love being married, and Sergio may be one of them. We don't know what their dynamic was like, but maybe he loved having a wife to come home to every night. We don't know much else past that so the rest is speculative. Not saying that Sergio is, but many men marry solely for the purpose of having someone to do their cooking, cleaning, and laundry.

On the flipside, someone like Brandon Bevers getting married again would have looked highly suspicious for some time. He had teen girls with his wife and lost her in a very sudden manner. Wreckless spending and a quick new wife would have been a very, very bad look for him.

One more example is my great Uncle Dee. He must be in his 90s by now, but his wife passed from natural causes when he was in his 70s or so. About a week later he married a woman that looked EXACTLY like her.
No one can cash in on anything when there is an active murder investigation. He couldn't even if he wanted to.

There is no confirmation about him cashing in on the insurance policy or not anyway.

No one can cash in on anything when there is an active murder investigation. He couldn't even if he wanted to.

There is no confirmation about him cashing in on the insurance policy or not anyway.
There is tons, and tons, AND TONs of true crime cases where the spouse is already talking about life insurance while the other one is still alive, or immediately asks about it the second their significant other is dead.

This feels like a big reach to think he would want the life insurance, knowing what we know.

A compelling point could be made that his father arranged the murder and thought the life insurance money would be shared with him or split with him. A branch of ideas from this theory is that Sergio speculates thats what his father did, and wants nothing to do with him (his father) or that money.

I would like to know more about Sergio's father's personality. Was he known as a quiet, reserved man or more of a hothead or somewhere in between? I have heard very little about him, except that he had affairs outside of his marriage with Sergio's mom, and that he may have had financial troubles, and that they may have been largely his own fault. Despite his money problems, was his business still seemingly successful? It was reported that he may have had issues paying his employees on time. I'd like to hear what any of his employees or co-workers have to say about him. Or his friends too. It was also reported that sometime before her death, Liz had somehow had words with him regarding not paying Sergio what he was owed for work or something like that. Especially when it was no secret that he had mistresses who he seemed to spend money on. I thought that at some point, he was considered a possible suspect. Even Sergio himself said he had thought this. I don't know if he was ever (or is now) an official suspect in the eyes of LE though. Also don't know if he and Sergio have a good relationship now or if they had a falling out that continues. For all I know, I guess his father may even have passed away by now.

I would like to know more about Sergio's father's personality. Was he known as a quiet, reserved man or more of a hothead or somewhere in between? I have heard very little about him, except that he had affairs outside of his marriage with Sergio's mom, and that he may have had financial troubles, and that they may have been largely his own fault. Despite his money problems, was his business still seemingly successful? It was reported that he may have had issues paying his employees on time. I'd like to hear what any of his employees or co-workers have to say about him. Or his friends too. It was also reported that sometime before her death, Liz had somehow had words with him regarding not paying Sergio what he was owed for work or something like that. Especially when it was no secret that he had mistresses who he seemed to spend money on. I thought that at some point, he was considered a possible suspect. Even Sergio himself said he had thought this. I don't know if he was ever (or is now) an official suspect in the eyes of LE though. Also don't know if he and Sergio have a good relationship now or if they had a falling out that continues. For all I know, I guess his father may even have passed away by now.
The way I see it, Sergio is kinda between a rock and a hard place.

I think he has a pretty good idea of two completely different people who may have done this (his father of a particular woman from the 501st Legion).

Its possible he doesn't exactly want to know the truth. Accepting either of them doing this to or arranging this to happen to Liz may be very devastating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back