CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The talk about state RSO registries had made me realize that we are "lucky" here in IL. Our SO registry shows the name, current address, photo description (age, weight, tattoos/scars, etc), a photo and a brief description of the crime they were convicted of. For example; it may say victim was 16 yrs old; offender was 19 at time of offense. That helps to see if it may be explained as two teens close in age. It will of course also point out if it is a large age difference or a very young child which gives you some idea of the mind of the offender. Based on the crime it also has criteria to be labeled with Sexual Predator in red on their file. It is very helpful. I wish all SOR were this way.

I am glad you mentioned that because I dont understand why they dont say where the body was found. There has to be some reason they are not putting that out there. At least I think it is strange, why keep it a secret? jmo

Probably it is an area only a local would know. Hence the profile of a local. Otherwise it could be any transient, trucker, traveling rock group (j/k), you get the idea. An out of towner. Could also be things found at location only the perp would know, etc...

Of course there are probably some other things that make it seem someone that knows the area well than that.

from the last thread- I agree with you there. I think if there are too many people on there for minor crimes (like public urination, underage consensual sex), then there is the potential for people to worry LESS because they may start to think " well, my neighbour could be their for anything, there are people here for all kinds of silly things, plus he seems like a nice guy...". I'm not sure if I have expressed myself correctly there!

I think there has to be a better balance.

In my state only offenders whose priors and behavior are deemed "predatory" are posted. By "predatory" I'm talking about a guy I saw on there who molested two children, ages 7 and 10, then went to prison, then got out and snatched a 5 yo off the street and molested them by digital penetration, then got caught and spent more time in prison, then was released and molested another 7 yo, then was caught again when he snatched an 18 MONTH OLD BABY FROM HER MOTHER'S ARMS... he was caught again and TOLD the police that he had planned on sexually abusing her.

I'd call that predatory. I'd call that a lot of things. Oh, and right now, his location is unknown because he moved and didn't update his location. :furious:

So am I understanding that in other states, people whose backgrounds are not predatory and who those who have not committed a felony are posted in the registries online? I'm not buying it, and I'm looking for sources to back me up on that. There has to be a felony criteria met, as far as I understand. At least, that's the case in my state, as well as the surrounding states in my region.

I did find this article, and as much as I cringe at the source (I like to call it "Faux News"), I am pretty certain this is correct about the criteria offenses must meet before being put on a RSO list:

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/sto...offender-registry/F_CJI4R2SkaOoXnIpUN_hQ.cspx

I sure hope nobody starts reporting people as possible suspects based on criteria such as, "I never liked him." If there's real data or information and/or a person's behaviors are distinctly different than before that's one thing and, according to the police, that's valid. But not 'liking' someone is a crappy metric to use.

at this point I am sure they will take what they can get... sometimes people can have reliable guts.

:twocents:

I further think their criminal link analysis software can help prioritize leads and tips. I would rather everything be called in then nothing at all.:twocents:

eta: actually LE said that themselves... they told people to call in anything and everything and let them review it and decide if it was of any value or not.

Many things in the case have been "determined" by LE.

However, LE will not release details of the case. They will not give details to the public. There will be no official confirmation of what they found, the body, the evidence or hundreds of other details. This is standard operating procedure. Everything they do now is for 2 purposes:

1. Catch the perp
2. Find, preserve, and build the case evidence to turn over to the DA to lead to a successful prosecution of the perp.

That's it.

The police, the FBI, the CBI, will not be giving out info. They said they would not. They aren't kidding. So to answer all the future questions, "has it been determined if...." or " has anyone confirmed whether....." the answer is "nothing has been officially announced by LE if it has anything to do with the details of the case."

However, when they do make an arrest, they will announce that and give the name of the person. They still won't give out details of the case though.

I scrolled through the last several pages of #9 and the first of this thread, I'll have to play some serious catch-up and my little one has a doctor appt in about an hour so I'm going to say something that has probably been posted.

When I went to bed last night, there were pages and pages of similaries between the WY case and Jessica's case. Since the FBI and WPD are saying they have ruled out the WY suspect, could the reason be that they have an estimated time of death on Jessica and maybe that time of death conflicts with the Wyoming girl being taken around the same time?

Many things in the case have been "determined" by LE.

However, LE will not release details of the case. They will not give details to the public. There will be no official confirmation of what they found, the body, the evidence or hundreds of other details. This is standard operating procedure. Everything they do now is for 2 purposes:

1. Catch the perp
2. Find, preserve, and build the case evidence to turn over to the DA to lead to a successful prosecution of the perp.

That's it.

The police, the FBI, the CBI, will not be giving out info. They said they would not. They aren't kidding.
umm..yes

they said that in the press conference clearly.

I really have no way to verify that he was at work that day. The only thing that really made me suspicious was one of his wifes Facebook posts. She had a very graphic, detailed description of what condition the body was in when found which has since been removed. She is a waitress/bar tender in Lafayette which is minutes from Superior. A customer in LE apparently shared that info with her, which I find odd seeing as how professional this case has been handled by LE so far.

A few threads back, while we were waiting for news about the body, we had a discussion about the differences between paranoia and healthy fear, and about honoring that healthy fear, the thing our gut or intuition is telling us.

And I would say, if this is just an oddity that you noticed with your head, then your wife's probably right that it's just the environment of fear making you feel paranoid as well.

If it's your gut telling you that something is wrong, then report it. Tell them what you told us. Report it anonymously through Crimestoppers if that would make you feel better.

Odds are it's nothing more than coincidence, but it's also the kind of small anomaly LE wants to hear about. If there's nothing to it, then at least it's been checked.

Fyi.... No one sees this but you. Our "keys" are like credit cards. They are used as tickets to the parks, at restaurants if you have the dining plan, and are used as entry keys to your condo. They are also used to obtain fast passes to the rides. You swipe them yourself... no flashing of anything. The names are printed in tiny letters, just so you know who's is who's. When you enter the parks, you have to scan each one individually. My husband kept his, and I kept all the kids and mine. No one ever saw them or asked for them except people who needed them, and they see a million a day and couldn't have cared less what my kids' names were. The names on the cards can't be seen by anyone unless you show them, and they are simply being scanned to prove you paid for that service for that guest. While I am not a Disney fanatic, I don't want other people to think that this practice is dangerous. No one can force a child who is being attended by a watchful parent to do anything. The best protection is supervision. A great number of children will simply answer to "little boy" or "little girl" and willingly give their name when asked. Card or no card will not prevent this, but supervision can.

Thanks for this. First, no one told me that the keys are self-swiped, so I really appreciate that information. However, my daughter (very mildly Autistic) might struggle with swiping a card herself. Therefore, she'd hand it to the employee. She's almost 18 and very independent. I do not want to have to squash that, just because DISNEY thinks it's necessary to have her name on the card. She would never answer (or go with anyone) who says "Hey kid", but she MIGHT if they knew her name. Of course supervision is the best prevention, but she's old enough (and indpendent enough) to do some things alone, with us close by. If they're not using the name for anything, I see absolutely no logical reason why they need it. Disney would now have a database with my children's names, and know which room number we are staying in! I respectfully disagree that this isn't dangerous and entirely unnecessary.

at this point I am sure they will take what they can get... sometimes people can have reliable guts.

:twocents:

I further think their criminal link analysis software can help prioritize leads and tips. I would rather everything be called in then nothing at all.:twocents:

My understanding is they already have thousands of tips. If everyone who "didn't like someone" called in, there would be hundreds of thousands of calls. Common sense (which I realize is not all that common) dictates that someone would have some info to impart as a reason for calling. Such as, "he missed work," "he's been acting strange and talking about the case," "he went on a sudden and unplanned trip," "he was supposed to be home, but he suddenly got rid of his car and now can't be found," "he changed his hair color, shaved his beard, and altered his looks right after the day of the abduction," etc.

We don't have a National public sex offenders register here in Australia. My state has only just got one, and by just I mean only yesterday! It is only for our state, not the whole country and to get the information you have to provide a licence number, address, phone number and email. The results are emailed to you and you have to agree that "you will not publish, distribute or display any photographs or personal information provided by this site without the prior written approval from the Minister for Police" or you face 10 years in jail.

My partner's from Oz and he was astonished to learn that we could look up our address online and see if there were any sexual predators in our neighborhood. I was equally astonished that, when we were looking for houses in Brisbane, that we couldn't. :what:

Some differences I've noticed between here and Oz is that there, the laws seem to be slanted in favor of this highly idealistic notion of fairness for the accused. On one hand I see it as a more evolved notion of justice and fairness, and on the other I struggle with seeing it as naive and note that it occurs simultaneously where one does not have a right to free speech in the same way it is here. It's definitely been the source of many interesting conversations in our house, and lots of "I'm utterly gobsmacked!! You're joking?!" comments, on both sides. :)

Madeleine74, at this point who knows what LE has and does not have. If someone has a tip that fits what LE has asked them to call in I hope they do so. As that is what LE continues to ask for.

LOL...were you just going to get your first name as the vanity plate? Haha I can see it now! "GREG"

Haha yep young and dumb at 16. But it was the thing back then and most girls had them in pretty writing, not so much the guys

Fyi.... No one sees this but you. Our "keys" are like credit cards. They are used as tickets to the parks, at restaurants if you have the dining plan, and are used as entry keys to your condo. They are also used to obtain fast passes to the rides. You swipe them yourself... no flashing of anything. The names are printed in tiny letters, just so you know who's is who's. When you enter the parks, you have to scan each one individually. My husband kept his, and I kept all the kids and mine. No one ever saw them or asked for them except people who needed them, and they see a million a day and couldn't have cared less what my kids' names were. The names on the cards can't be seen by anyone unless you show them, and they are simply being scanned to prove you paid for that service for that guest. While I am not a Disney fanatic, I don't want other people to think that this practice is dangerous. No one can force a child who is being attended by a watchful parent to do anything. The best protection is supervision. A great number of children will simply answer to "little boy" or "little girl" and willingly give their name when asked. Card or no card will not prevent this, but supervision can.

Also, Disney (or any other large public event, like fairs, rodeos, flea markets, etc...) has an enormous problem with kids getting accidentally separated from their families. I used to work at the coat check of a local art show, which wasn't attended by many kids, and we still wound up tending at least three or four kids from two to tween for as much as a couple of hours before their parents located them. (I felt especially bad for the mother frantically searching the parking lots because the toddler had wandered back inside to look at a pretty picture while she was loading his stroller into the car...but that's another story.)

It sounds like this system would let them quickly identify the family and get the lost child back to them.

Thanks for this. First, no one told me that the keys are self-swiped, so I really appreciate that information. However, my daughter (very mildly Autistic) might struggle with swiping a card herself. Therefore, she'd hand it to the employee. She's almost 18 and very independent. I do not want to have to squash that, just because DISNEY thinks it's necessary to have her name on the card. She would never answer (or go with anyone) who says "Hey kid", but she MIGHT if they knew her name. Of course supervision is the best prevention, but she's old enough (and indpendent enough) to do some things alone, with us close by. If they're not using the name for anything, I see absolutely no logical reason why they need it. Disney would now have a database with my children's names, and know which room number we are staying in! I respectfully disagree that this isn't dangerous and entirely unnecessary.

Most Disney goers enjoy the "magic" that comes from having the various people throughout the resort call you by your names, and, of course this includes their children as well. The timeshare program's slogan is "Welcome home."

While, I can certainly see your hesitation due to being cautious, for a large majority of people who frequent Disney year after year, that "first name" basis for themselves, and their children, is all part of the Magic, and one of the many reasons they return.

Personally, in all of our trips there, I've felt that Disney regarded our Childrens' safety very highly on their lists.

A few threads back, while we were waiting for news about the body, we had a discussion about the differences between paranoia and healthy fear, and about honoring that healthy fear, the thing our gut or intuition is telling us.

And I would say, if this is just an oddity that you noticed with your head, then your wife's probably right that it's just the environment of fear making you feel paranoid as well.

If it's your gut telling you that something is wrong, then report it. Tell them what you told us. Report it anonymously through Crimestoppers if that would make you feel better.

Odds are it's nothing more than coincidence, but it's also the kind of small anomaly LE wants to hear about. If there's nothing to it, then at least it's been checked.

I agree, this should be reported. I hate to get the waitress and whomever from LE is possibly leaking information. I mean someone's job could be on the line if they are leaking important information about the most serious and horrific case being investigated right now. LE and the perpetrator know the most about these details, So, maybe if the source of the "leak" is investigated, maybe we'd get closer to the suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy