CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't discuss religion on Websleuths unless it is a part of the case. Religious posts are being removed by the moderators as they are found. There are hundreds and perhaps thousands of places on the internet to discuss religion and this isn't one of those places.

I agree with what you are saying.. so normal on the surface... his family never knew and they lived with him....

I wonder about that...whether his wife or anyone had an inkling (they might have as it was one of his children who offered DNA for comparison). I think his neighbors thought him a little strange as he was super diligent and vocal about rules and regulations regarding the neighborhood (grass cut, etc.), which he also reportedly did at his job.

He had that shed out back, and that's where most of the investigators found his sexual pictures (posed of himself in makeshift graves, etc.).

I understand why his family would never ever want to speak out and identify themselves. I do wonder if the FBI BAU did.

His desire for recognition may explain why he suddenly resumed contact with the media and police in 2004, 25 years after the last official communication from BTK — the nickname he gave himself, short for “Bind, Torture, Kill.” Wichita resident and lawyer Robert Beattie was preparing to release the book "Nightmare in Wichita: The Hunt for the BTK Strangler." "He (Rader) knew the book was coming out. He wanted to sell it, to sell himself as BTK, to be back in the spotlight," Van Zandt said. Also, contact in 2004 began just two months after local newspapers and television stations marked the 30th anniversary of the first murders.

Much more at link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8929452/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/who-btk-killer/

Found something interesting, it makes me wonder if a serial killer changed his MO to gain the attention of authorities, kind of like a taunt to say Ahhh hahhh, still alive, catch me if ya can, later cop. Could the killer of Jessica be an old serial killer that's still at large, maybe that he changed his MO bc he's old so its easier for him to kill a young girl rather than an older female? Could a serial killer have seen this article and decided to have a thrill kill to taunt investigators? How ironic that Jessica is kidnapped & killed a month after this article is printed.

http://www.denverpost.com/serialkil...-serial-killers-worked-denver-streets-from-75

Serial killers worked Denver streets from '75 to '95, police say
POSTED: 09/02/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 09/04/2012 09:51:24 AM MDT
By Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post

Snipped:
Between 1975 and 1995, dozens of young women were snatched off Denver-area streets, killed and dumped along rural roads, a crime spree that includes 38 unsolved murders that cold-case detectives believe may have been victims of a serial killer — or killers.

Snipped:
The work is driven by a simple belief: that as many as a half-dozen serial killers stalked Denver-area streets for more than two decades.

Snipped:
"Sexual assault, strangulation and a desire to shock police were elements that drove the killer," said Marv Brandt, a cold-case investigator for the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office. "That person might be 60, still capable of finding more victims."

Found this board with more info on what was going on with the murders during these times, just to compare. Could be an older killer, or even a copy cat. I really don't know, but was at least compelled to look into it.

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=237063.0

First reports were that peeps at the school saw Jessica, both students and a teacher. They said Jessica never made it to class though and may have gone back outside. One boy said he saw her outside but not inside.

I wish I knew where I heard or read these reports. How could several people be so wrong?

I read this also!
I think the boy had the wrong day his father said!

then it went to she was not seen that day soooooo
go figure!

I am really hoping DNA can be taken from the backpack where the perp would have held it to toss it. I know this is a long shot.

Goodness gracious; so many. Multiply this by 50 states. :what:

And that is only the top 100. How many more?!

I did notice a couple of them looked completely normal, the rest seemed to have other issues going on.

Wow. :(

But good for her for being willing to accept it and take immediate action to protect her own kids.

Also from that article:

Officials in Colorado were investigating whether Speer may have been involved in any unsolved or attempted abductions in that state. The victim told police she saw stacked photographs of naked young girls in the vehicle driven by her abductor, according to the charging documents.

Found something interesting, it makes me wonder if a serial killer changed his MO to gain the attention of authorities, kind of like a taunt to say Ahhh hahhh, still alive, catch me if ya can, later cop. Could the killer of Jessica be an old serial killer that's still at large, maybe that he changed his MO bc he's old so its easier for him to kill a young girl rather than an older female? Could a serial killer have seen this article and decided to have a thrill kill to taunt investigators? How ironic that Jessica is kidnapped & killed a month after this article is printed.

http://www.denverpost.com/serialkil...-serial-killers-worked-denver-streets-from-75

Serial killers worked Denver streets from '75 to '95, police say
POSTED: 09/02/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 09/04/2012 09:51:24 AM MDT
By Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post

Snipped:
Between 1975 and 1995, dozens of young women were snatched off Denver-area streets, killed and dumped along rural roads, a crime spree that includes 38 unsolved murders that cold-case detectives believe may have been victims of a serial killer — or killers.

Snipped:
The work is driven by a simple belief: that as many as a half-dozen serial killers stalked Denver-area streets for more than two decades.

Snipped:
"Sexual assault, strangulation and a desire to shock police were elements that drove the killer," said Marv Brandt, a cold-case investigator for the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office. "That person might be 60, still capable of finding more victims."

Possibly someone recently released from jail on unrelated crimes?

Jersey Girl.

Interesting post about history of cases in Denver area from mid 1970s thru 1990s. Certainly something I hope LE is reviewing (and think surely they must be). I had not seen this on the forum before and it was kinda of a "wow" moment. Very well could be someone reprised or a wanna be seeking glory. Sure is an interesting possibility.

folks: please do not post pictures of random citizens who have not been connected to this case. You can discuss RSO's but there are rules about that as well. They are listed under the opening post of this thread.

wanted to get clarification on whether we can post the MSM photo from The Global Dispatch..

I sadly can now clearly see that the body part in front of the CSI man are her little legs, actually its the calf down and feet.:(

Oh my, my eyes are old, but I'm not seeing any limbs!

Wow. :(

But good for her for being willing to accept it and take immediate action to protect her own kids.

Also from that article:

Did LE say why they don't think this guy is connected to the abduction of Jessica? The article did say he lived in Co at one time.

O/T?
http://www.mail.com/news/us/1635194-ex-wife-kidnapping-suspect-snapped.html#.7518-stage-hero1-6

(ex-wife) said the case has devastated her and her family, but she is proud of the girl who provided a description that led police to arrest Speer. "If my own daughter ever ended up in that situation, I hope she would be as brave and strong," (ex-wife) said. "It goes beyond whether that was (Speer). I'm just proud of her for being a survivor."
She wrote in her blog that she, her family and their friends hope the police have the wrong man, "but afraid that they do not." She told the AP there were just too many things in the police report that point back to her ex-husband, including the police sketch of the suspect, a photo of the vehicle, and a description of eyeglasses. Then there was the detail that the suspect's car had bottled water strapped to his roof.

"He's the only person in the universe who drives around with a 24-pack of bottled water" strapped to the car, she said. (ex-wife) has filed a restraining order against Speer in the event he is released, and she has asked for sole custody of their children.

I'm so proud of her right now.

This seems so disrespectful to Jessica and her family. Is there any value in trying to view her this way? I can only imagine that her family would prefer we remember her as a whole, bright, lovely child. I am getting seriously creeped out that anyone is purposely looking up these photos.

I'm sure LE wishes they didn't have to see her this way.

Flutterby I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member