Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigg liked Bundy, according to classmate:

When M presented a paper on anti-social personality disorder, Sigg seemed particularly intrigued that she used serial killer Ted Bundy as a case study. As Miller explained how Bundy had no empathy for his victims, she noticed Sigg chuckling to himself.

"He was so lit up about what I was saying," Miller recalled. "He was asking about it. He was intrigued. It was almost like he was excited about it.

"He said he was intrigued by dead bodies," she added. "There was something creepy about him."

Read more: Classmates: Ridgeway suspect fascinated by crime-scene forensics - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...inated-by-crime-scene-forensics#ixzz2AH86eSX8
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

His Project at Warren Tech Science Fair was about decomposing bodies:

The forensic science course Sigg and B shared brought the allure of popular television crime scene investigation shows into the classroom.

"Basically you learn how the body is decomposed. We learned about DNA, we learned about blood splatters, we learned about hair analysis," said B, who graduated from Warren Tech, Jeffco Public Schools' technical school and is studying to be a medical examiner.

Sigg excelled in the class, even taking second place in Warren Tech's science fair, she said.

The subject of his project: decomposing bodies.

"His project was keeping a body in water versus keeping it in dirt or frozen," B said

Read more: Classmates: Ridgeway suspect fascinated by crime-scene forensics - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...inated-by-crime-scene-forensics#ixzz2AH8ixWas
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Not to be a downer as the community is feeling the relief tonight. Rightfully so and much deserved. I do hope LE and the community remains hypervigilant, not only with Halloween coming up and the apparent rash of similar incidents in Colorado. Copycat or not. We've seen there are sick people who come out to take advantage of vulnerable communities who are on edge and there are also just sick people who prey anyhow. LE must be exhausted and they need TLC but I'm concerned nonetheless.
Unfortunately I think it's the new necessary everywhere, for children, women, and yes even men to be on constant alert. We owe it to the Jessica's to learn all we can from tragedies like this to figure out what to do better .. Personally in the few days since I've joined WS I've read so many comments and ideas that I NEVER would've thought on my own. There will always be fear but turning that into empowerment is the only option.

Isn't there a seriously dark side to Western comics and cartoons too? E.g., Batman, DC/Vertigo comics, "The Crow", some of the really disturbing stuff they show on Adult Swim...

(Sorry--I struggle with a lot of the negative connotations with various subcultures, hobbies or online activities because they're so unbelievably common, especially among millennials. My teenage niece wants to be an anime illustrator.)

I'm more referring to the child *advertiser censored* side of anime, that is definitely out there.

*cough* Isa Celis *cough*. BBM. Same "rules" apply, IMHO

Ah, but we know some of the facts in the Isa case, we know the crime scene is inside the house, AND importantly, LE has definitely not ruled out the parents. In this case (Jessica), the mother was most definitely ruled out early and the father of the JR's little classmate was as well. JR's body was found, DNA was found, and JR was known to have left her house that morning for school.

Calling someone the perp (which is what was done in Jessica's case) is quite different than pointing out that LE has not excluded someone from their list (as in Isa's case).

Apples and Oranges.

I carry rope in my car (as well as duct tape and wire), but mine are for tying on mattresses :) , Christmas Trees, and wiring on broken alternators. Just saying it isn't unusual to have such in a car (or am I really the only one?)

My son used to have rope, garbage bags, plastic ties and boxes of ammo in the back seat of his truck. It was there because he did a lot of hiking and camping, but when he took a Criminal Justice class and they said that a cop seeing that might consider him a suspect in any crimes nearby, he cleaned it out.

Sigg was absent from class after Jessica's disappearance:

JR, who took Psychology 101 and Biology 111 with Sigg at Arapahoe, said he seemed "very charming and very intellectual."

She said after Jessica Ridgeway disappeared, Sigg began to miss classes, but eventually returned. On Tuesday, she talked with him about a biology lab paper that was due on the topic of diffusion and osmosis.

"Nothing seemed out of the ordinary," R said.

Read more: Classmates: Ridgeway suspect fascinated by crime-scene forensics - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...inated-by-crime-scene-forensics#ixzz2AH9lPkOI

I'm more referring to the child *advertiser censored* side of anime, that is definitely out there.

I don't know enough about this to comment, sarx....I just thought it was weird.

I don't know about his connection to Anime but my teenager loves Anime. He is also considered weird, different and quiet to his peers. He really doesn't have many friends, either. And he is a huge gamer...

I guess it is frustrating to me to read the post about AS being a loner and outsider who liked gaming so that must be why he turned into a killer because that means there is something terribly wrong with him. It makes me think people are going to look at my kid a little funny for now on.

My son has Asperger's which accounts for some of his quirky behaviors but there is a lot of other kids out there who are described in that way and they don't harm anyone.

I know it's silly for me to be bothered by it but I can't help it.

Anime was mentioned earlier. Does anyone know anymore on that? There is a seriously dark side to Anime.

I don't know about his connection to Anime but my teenager loves Anime. He is also considered weird, different and quiet to his peers. He really doesn't have many friends, either. And he is a huge gamer...

This was pretty much me, all my peers, and now most of my younger co-workers in the online gaming industry. I know where you're coming from, just like I feel for the people affected by the metal/goth/dyed hair prejudices. (I love metal, was never more than a wannabe goth, and my hair is just too dark to dye convincingly, sigh.)

Bullying is mean, hurtful, and unnecessary.

However, there is not ONE person on the face of this earth who will walk through life without someone saying something negative or something they perceive as negative about them.

It cannot become an excuse. We cannot control others actions.... we can only control our own actions and reactions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Matt Flener ‏@mattflener

A former classmate of Austin Sigg at Standley Lake High School tells @9NEWS Sigg was bullied for having a high voice #JessicaRidegeway

My son used to have rope, garbage bags, plastic ties and boxes of ammo in the back seat of his truck. It was there because he did a lot of hiking and camping, but when he took a Criminal Justice class and they said that a cop seeing that might consider him a suspect in any crimes nearby, he cleaned it out.

Well crap I've got toddlers and we hike a lot, my car and purse probably have all the makings of a murder kit. But my knife is used for cutting apples, cheese and spreading peanut butter (and cutting crusts off sandwiches). The garbage bags are for containing messes or puke. The rope? I really don't know, I think we used it on the boat and never took it out of the car.
:truce:

Isn't there a seriously dark side to Western comics and cartoons too? E.g., Batman, DC/Vertigo comics, "The Crow", some of the really disturbing stuff they show on Adult Swim...

(Sorry--I struggle with a lot of the negative connotations with various subcultures, hobbies or online activities because they're so unbelievably common, especially among millennials. My teenage niece wants to be an anime illustrator.)

YES for sure there is. One example: http://www.spikeandmike.com/ when this "Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation" comes around it seems like it always sells out pretty quick. I don't think it's just anime. The Watchmen is also a DC comic series, and although I haven't seen the books the movie was pretty disturbing. IMO etc.

There might be a reason he was drawn towards this stuff but IMO it just didn't lead to this crime, at least not directly. I doubt it even gave him any ideas he didn't already have.

Matt Flener ‏@mattflener

A former classmate of Austin Sigg at Standley Lake High School tells @9NEWS Sigg was bullied for having a high voice #JessicaRidegeway

If everyone that had ever been bullied ended up a murderer the earth would be mighty unpopulated.

It always seems like excuses are searched for when someone is arrested.

We must, must teach our children compassion. There is zero tolerance for failing classes, tardiness to school, weapons on campus, smoking in the bathroom and drugs. But bullying is tolerated. And some teachers even participate by gossiping among each other. Students hear this. My own children heard the teachers talking about students that were not popular. It bothered them so much. One child in high school was bullied because his family was poor. He didn't own even one pair of jeans and wore sweatpants everyday. The teachers treated him differently and looked the other way while his peers teased him. I think this is horrible and this type of behavior should lead to a swift punishment.

Zero tolerance for bullying!

The fact that AS turned himself in, is again a self serving deed; it was just a matter of time before someone put 2 n 2 together and got their hands on him.

I hope the services for little Jessica will help her family and the community to start healing. I cannot fathom what AS's mother must be going thru. I keep thinking about "Of Mice and Men" if I were put into that situation.

Ah, but we know some of the facts in the Isa case, we know the crime scene is inside the house, AND importantly, LE has definitely not ruled out the parents. In this case (Jessica), the mother was most definitely ruled out early and the father of the JR's little classmate was as well. JR's body was found, DNA was found, and JR was known to have left her house that morning for school.

Calling someone the perp (which is what was done in Jessica's case) is quite different than pointing out that LE has not excluded someone from their list (as in Isa's case).

Apples and Oranges.

Not to me ... nothing KNOWN. You said it so much better than me:
Quote:
"I always hope lessons will be learned that highlight it's important to not start pointing fingers when a crime occurs and facts are not known."

Good quote from you. Words to live by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member