CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably know the crime scene but there is a gag order and unless someone wants to find themselves in contempt of court, they should be keeping their mouths shut about any more specifics.

You may be right. How can they say he is cooperating if he is not giving up where the crime scene was. Or maybe he thinks this is his ace in the hole and a bargaining chip. jmo

Do you think this will really happen. It's prison not a rehab center. I know in theory they are supposed to rehabilitate but how many do? jmo

Depending on what is at the core of his actions. If he has some kind of mental illness that contributed to it (schizophrenia for example), years on medication could help. If he has a personality disorder, brain damage, genetic mutation, or a number of other things, 100 years of treatment would probably not be enough. MOO

If you read about the life of Bundy and Dahmer, you will see what their home lives were like. Perhaps a few cracks to the head by a parent or someone else altered their brains.

But a child cannot be raised in horrific situations like that and not become toxic. Generally speaking, women turn the self loathing to themselves. Males turn outwardly. Ed Ghein had his interests as well that we not learned, but his home life sure made him what he was, I feel

I don't think that any conclusions can be drawn regarding factors that cause sociopathic behavior. It is possible to find examples of serial murderers that had unfortunate childhoods, and it is possible to find examples of serial murderers that had fortunate childhoods.

Depending on what is at the core of his actions. If he has some kind of mental illness that contributed to it (schizophrenia for example), years on medication could help. If he has a personality disorder, brain damage, genetic mutation, or a number of other things, 100 years of treatment would probably not be enough. MOO

I agree with you but I don't think this will happen in a penitentary. I think once he is in, there will be no rehab. Maybe meds to keep him stable, but no type of help for his mental condition. jmo

they may well have found the crime scene. I do not believe there was an accomplice.:twocents:

What leads you to believe there is no accomplice? I don't think he had any reason to need an accomplice, but I think if he did it was someone he is now trying to protect or he wants all the attention for himself. Not that I really think there was an accomplice.

I'm just curious.

I go back and forth with it, not because of Jessica's body and items but because how do they have DNA from the joggers? Did they scratch him? I'm confused on that. However, I think AS would like to believe with all his "research" and semester of college (it's not even the end of 1st semester), that he was brilliant and would not get caught. He thought too much of himself and it made his actions sloppy. Just my opinion.

I think if they do have DNA from the Ketner incident, they may have the rag and got it from that.

Oh and I thought it interesting the person who's YouTube channel that is hadn't posted in about 8 months until this...

I agree....same with the rankromcomms user on you tube...while looking yesterday, seems all videos were at least a year old, but to the side it said, last upload (or edit) Oct. 21, 2012....but I couldn't find anything...

may have deleted something...

There is also the possibility that his lawyer hadn't had a chance to instruct him on desirable behaviour in the courtroom. Or, even if the lawyer did instruct him, Sigg may not have been taking it all in.

For me, it's too early to really get a fix on who this guy is inside.

But maybe that's just an indication that I am a slow learner.

You're right that it's too early to get a fix on AS, and I'm surprised to find myself jumping to conclusions so early. And upon reflection, I think I know why.

The mug shot of AS resembles greatly a young man I grew up with. We attended elementary, junior high and high school together. I don't know why, but at about 5th grade I decided I really detested him. Not the little girl pretending to dislike but secretly liking kind of thing I really, really disliked him. As I got older, I realized there were a multitude of reasons for not liking him. His HS yearbook picture, senior year, is very similar to the mug shot of AS.

So what I am reading about AS that I interpret as smugness or superiority (i.e., more important than a judge) is probably colored by my memories of someone else. I need to keep that in mind.

And by the way, GrainneDhu, I pity anyone who would ever say you were a slow learner!

In theory, this is a good idea. A 12 year old who receives a life sentence and gets psychiatric help and schooling for 40 years could quite possibly be an asset to society when released. The problem comes from cases like this one. If he survives for 40 years, but hasn't really changed any mentally/emotionally during that time, how many people standing up for Jessica now will still be around, and still remember her, when his parole hearings come around?

That's where advocacy by others can come into play.

There is an organization of family members affected by "teen killers" who have been active participants in public discourse on juvenile justice, including in the state of Colorado.

Murder Victims Families of Teen Killers

We are murder victims families of those killed by juveniles. The stories of some of our murdered loved ones can be found on our “Memorials” pages, the heart and soul of this website and organization. Read more About Us and What We Believe.

http://www.teenkillers.org/

Thank you, thank you - you may have saved us thousands of posts going back and forth on that issue. You know how we like to thoroughly discuss these types of things!

Strawberry jam or orange marmalade? :floorlaugh:

I see a lot of speculation as to his mental health. Is there typically an evaluation that is done before trial? Or only if he pleads insanity?

Is there just an assumption he has mental health issues because of the heinous crime? Because of his childhood? Is it not possible that he is just a sick and twisted individual?

I just have a hard time accepting that a rough childhood leads to this, then again I could be absolutely wrong, but I'd think if a bad childhood led to killing we would have a lot more killers and serial killers.

Parents divorced at a young age, domestic violence, one or both parents in and out of jail, being teased or bullied, etc that describes a lot of people I know, yet they don't kill or have violent tendencies.

I agree with you but I don't think this will happen in a penitentary. I think once he is in, there will be no rehab. Maybe meds to keep him stable, but no type of help for his mental condition. jmo

I've known more people who have been released from prison than I care to even think about. I can't say that any of them was in a healthier state of mind when released than when incarcerated. I agree that he's unlikely to get any kind of help other than possibly meds.

Why wouldn't he be allowed to use the internet at home? At the age of 15, he received counselling for a *advertiser censored* addiction, but that was 2 years ago. He would have needed internet access for school.

if he needed internet for school, he could use it at school where there are plenty of filters.

Just like not going to bars is a good idea for alcoholics, if AS was my child, I would not have a computer at home for him to access.

Mom can't monitor him 24/7, so to me, no access is a good idea But what do I know. We don't even know how his addiction was discovered or what his juvenile record is.

I wonder if one of the conditions of his treatment from *advertiser censored* addiction was that he not be allowed online? His online life seems to have abruptly cut off circa two years ago. Maybe it was court ordered and is linked to a possible juvenile charge (this is all speculation).

I see a lot of speculation as to his mental health. Is there typically an evaluation that is done before trial? Or only if he pleads insanity?
Is there just an assumption he has mental health issues because of the heinous crime? Because of his childhood? Is it not possible that he is just a sick and twisted individual?
I just have a hard time accepting that a rough childhood leads to this, then again I could be absolutely wrong, but I'd think if a bad childhood led to killing we would have a lot more killers and serial killers.
Parents divorced at a young age, domestic violence, one or both parents in and out of jail, being teased or bullied, etc that describes a lot of people I know, yet they don't kill or have violent tendencies.

If there is a question about his mental health, they'll most likely order a psych evaluation. That would not only be to see if he knew right from wrong when he committed the crime, but also to see if his mental state at this time prevents him from contributing to his defense. If he's not found to be stable enough for trial, he would be hospitalized (prison ward type lock up) until he was deemed fit to stand trial. At that time, he would still be charged with the same things as he would be if he had been stable in the first place. It's very possible that events in his past contributed to his actions, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for them.MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonyotoole