CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just logged in to this thread so have not yet read any posts here so this post will likely not fit in with whatever is currently being discussed, so please bear with me. I have not commented at all since the arrest; I have been too angy and upset but now I have calmed enough that I might be able to just say what I am thinking without getting a TO.

I don't care if AS was picked on at school. I don't care if he was sad when his parents divorced. I don't care if his gf dumped him, or if he was either prescribed meds or messed with illegal drugs that caused hormonal imbalances resulting in thoughts and behaviors beyond his control. I don't even care if he is truly insane.

I don't care about any of that.

I only care that once AS receives due process, he ends up in prison or in a locked psych ward somewhere...and that he never gets out.

By the way, I created a thread in the WS book club forum for the book The Gift of Fear that some of us were interested in reading.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189141"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Now if this thread would slow down so I could actually go read it (lol) :crosseyed: - oh and if the maid would show up too! Sheesh. :sweep:

Thought I read in some early posts that police were not taking DNA from minors - did a google search & found this article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ctims-an-oversight/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This article indicates it is not permissible for police to take the DNA of a minor without the parent's permission. So would Sigg's mother have to be present & give her consent? I have read nothing indicating that police were routinely taking DNA from all household members, just males who were not minors. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :) I guess where I am going with this is, how did police already have his DNA if they weren't already zeroing in on him?

Not sure if Austin Siggs, was DNA swabbed by WPD, but if he had a bio relative whose DNA is in CODIS, Colorado has a familial DNA law.. This is how the Grim Sleeper(CA) Serial killer was identified after 2 decades.

http://www.forensicmag.com/article/family-feud-familial-dna-search-controversy-continues
To search or not to search, that is the question.

Forensic familial DNA searching for investigative purposes has made headlines in recent years, particularly with the capture and prosecution of the high-profile “Grim Sleeper” serial killer suspect in California. In this case, a search of California’s DNA database revealed that the DNA from a young man who had recently been arrested in the Los Angeles area partially matched samples taken from Grim Sleeper crime scenes.

The match strongly indicated that this man was either the child or parent of the person committing these crimes. From that lead, detectives narrowed the investigation to the arrestee’s father, tested a discarded slice of pizza the suspect left at public food court, and ultimately arrested Lonnie David Franklin Jr. as the Grim Sleeper.

It's crazy how fast these cases come and go in the news cycle. There's not one headline about this case on ABC, CNN, CBS, MSNBC, and FOX's websites at this moment. I don't think that's a bad thing, but you think about how Autumn's murder was the "hot" crime story, then it was Jessica's case, and now it's the Nanny murders.

...Maybe the jogger at Ketner Lake was able to grab the cross off of Austin's neck during their struggle and the DNA from the cross matched the DNA from Jessica's backpack...?
Perhaps this is why Le states that there was a strong connection between the two crimes...
LE only said that the cross was "recovered at a crime scene" - they didn't positively state that the crime scene was that of Jessica's- just thinking....

BBM

Where is this coming from? This is the mindset from the 60s/70s when "vocational centers" started. Yes, it may have been true than that some kids were "recommended" to attend but because they may not have been interested in going to college or didn't do well with "bookwork".

Tech schools allow kids to learn a trade and immediate join the workforce or also allow them to go on to college in a field of study they enjoy. Some kids have to join the workforce right out of high school and this helps them in their career choice.

At our "career center/tech centers" students are screened and not everyone gets accepted.

Sorry for ranting but some parents don't own $600,000 houses (this comment is related to the posting last night about the value of AS's father's house) and not all kids have the luxury of going to college....So many of the volunteer fire fighters in small, rural communities attended the fire fighter/emt program at their county career/tech center

I actually heard it on the news. Warren Tech was a HS alternative. It is a HS in the school system, "Career and Technical High School for Jefferson County Public Schools". Regardless if I heard it on the news, in my experience as well, alternative HS's are for kids who aren't quite making it in mainstream HS. I didn't just make this up.

Could you please provide a link to this article you read? When I looked at Missing Person's News, this is what I found:

Late Tuesday, evening police received a call that led them to a home near the Ketner Lake Open Space.

http://missingpersonsnews.com/archives/5534

This is in keeping with what MSM has been reporting all along. No mention of an outside party forcing AS and his mom to "deal". AS told his mom enough to cause her to call LE.

Perhaps what you read was a comment under an article, in which case that would be considered rumor. JMO

I think AS "confessed" to his mom as a direct result of LE taking a DNA swab from him. In my opinion, AS realized at that point that his time was running out.

<modsnip>. it was not a comment. it was in the body of the article.
AS gave his DNA 3 weeks ago. I don't think he thought he was gonna get caught. it was the cross, per the article, that gave him away.
go to the Missing Person's News website, put Jessica Ridgeway in the search field, and it's called "Updates in Jessica Ridgeway Investigation" posted 10/23. the statement is in the 3rd paragraph down.
here it is again, let's see if it gets snipped again:
http://missingpersonsnews.com/archives/5469

If the mom let them swab her, would her DNA have been flagged as being related to the perp? I'm not sure how it works, but it seems possible to my unscientific mind.

Just to throw in my :twocents: about the subject of abuse, as a result of participating in a support group, I have met many individuals who have been victims of abuse at the hands of parents, family, etc. I have heard unimaginable stories. Many of these people are living exemplary lives, some having gone through extensive therapy. My experience has been that females seem to be more inclined to seek therapy than males - I guess because there is still some stigma involved in seeking therapy, some still view it as a sign of "weakness".

That being said, not sure any amount of therapy would have changed (or will change) who A. Sigg has become.

My image of what he's been reported to have said is that he had a rope (or something else used to tie her) which he made slip knots in. I can see putting one around her neck, one around each wrist and one around each ankle. If done "properly", any time she let her legs relax, it could tighten up the loop around her neck. He reportedly said that she strangled herself while he was driving, which means (to me) that he drove around until she was so exhausted that she just let her legs relax completely and eventually died. Contrary to "hog-tying and strangling her", it would be a slow and miserable death. He could have easily stuffed something in her mouth and taped or tied it to keep her quiet, which would also make it harder for her to breather.

I also wanted to add my 2 cents on serial killers with good home lives. Just because a child has good, loving parents, it doesn't mean they haven't experienced any kind of traumatic experience. I don't believe that any 2 people experience exactly the same events in life, even if they were twins raised in the same home. We've heard about AS being bullied in the past, but there's no way to know how far the bullying went or when it started. He could have very well been beaten by classmates, molested by teachers or older boys or any number of other things that many kids experience but don't report until years later, if aat all.

I don't consider abuse to be an excuse for killing, torturing or even injurying another person, but I do think it's important to know what does contribute to these mindsets and behaviors if we want to try to prevent repeats in the future. MOO

I agree. it's not the events that create the behaviour, it's how the brain processes them that does. if a brain is stunted during early development, there is going to be limited ability to process things and respond appropriately. this would be due to extreme and debilitating abuse/trauma in early childhood. or severe physical/brain trauma. combine that with a troubled circumstance and negative influences and the results are not going to be good.

Could you please give any examples of people who had good childhoods that are serial killers?

There was a poster who said she was a professional that worked with people who said they had wonderful childhoods, but she had the records of the abuse reports etc.

That is my experience as well. People thinking they had good childhoods, but either they are in denial, or they have no clue what a loving childhood is

David Berkowitz aka The Son of Sam. Wonderful parents and childhood AFAIK.

Re: the cross coming from the jogger's neck...that was one of my first thoughts. Maybe I watch too much tv.

O M G , PlainJaneDoe!! And, wow... thanks so much for this added input. This is very interesting to me... makes me think that poss. CSI is immitating(sp) real life afterall. (There is no doubt in my mind, BTW, that L&O frequently mirrors true life cases!)

O/T to Stillwater - do you by chance have a sister or cousin named Coldwater?

I actually heard it on the news. Warren Tech was a HS alternative. It is a HS in the school system, "Career and Technical High School for Jefferson County Public Schools". Regardless if I heard it on the news, in my experience as well, alternative HS's are for kids who aren't quite making it in mainstream HS. I didn't just make this up.

While I agree it is an 'alternative HS', it doesn't mean all the kids going there couldn't make it in regular HS. As the other poster pointed out, some are going there to be trained in a vocation so that upon graduation, they have a career to go into. It attracts many kids who cannot afford college or do not want to pursue college. I have a friend whose son goes to Warren Tech. They offer training in many different fields.

Warren Tech has been around a very long time in Jefferson County. Unless something has changed, it is not an alternative school. It is more like a supplement to regular high school. My sister took some classes to help her toward her career in childhood development. She became a nanny after graduation. I think it is more of a technical school.

My son went to a school like that. It was for students with emotional/behavioral problems. They said their students were about 90% gang members or potentially future gang members (in trouble a lot and/or had siblings/friends in a gang). My son was one of those who was there because he couldn't handle the stress of traditional classrooms. They had a teacher and at least one aid for 5-8 students. They had 0 tolerance for bullying, theft, skipping school, and most other things students get in trouble for. Even name-calling or a threat of violence resulted in "time-out" and anything more serious than that resulted in the police being called. They do allow kids to take college classes, and work part-time for credits if they're interested, but they have to earn the privilege. I was told that my son was the first student his teachers had ever had there who was even interested in going to college.

This is not what Warren Tech is.

Was the vehicle towed out of the driveway by CSI a Limited Edition ? Do we know that ?

Not sure, Vega. It looks similar to the pictures of the Limited Grand Cherokee. Not sure that I've seen on MSM exactly what model/year/body style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025