CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me for sounding dumb but... Using them how? :waitasec:

Has anyone suspected bath salts? People who use them do some freaky sh#t. I just found out an acquaintance of mine is using them and turning into a freak. It's really common now as they don't show up in a drug test and no way of knowing. If you're semi freaky anyway, it would be easy to get into this stuff.

Bath salts, the street name for a very dangerous drug, methylenedioxypyrovalerone, also known as MDPV, is like speed to the 5th power. Very dangerous and potentially deadly. Avoid this stuff. Very bad stuff. Just google "bath salts."

I think the outpouring from the community support for the disappearance of Natalie Holloway trumps all others ... there were official days off for the entire community to participate in searches. When F-18s are involved, then the response will almost meet those searches for Natalie. Laci Peterson is another case where there were tremendous expences to seek a conviction. Each time, there was a certainty the something was not as it should be ... whether it was familial, or stranger, related.

I find that even more remarkable when you consider that Natalee was from Mountain Brook, Alabama but she went missing in Aruba.

I'll admit, there was something about the JR case that just struck a chord with me when many other abduction cases did not in the past. I have no idea what it was about her, maybe it was just because she seemed like such a sweet kid I was rooting for her to be found.

She seemed like such a reliable kid that she wouldn't miss school on her own accord. I guess it seemed that she would never do something to bring this upon herself, like hang with the wrong crowd, or skip school, or anything like that. There was no questions if she was a runaway, or that she took of on her own. I wished so much that she would be found alive, she was such a good, innocent kid, someone you wished more kids were like. I think that's what made people rally behind her from the beginning.

And when they found her desecrated like that, I just think it broke people's hearts and that's when people really started to fear for their own safety and want to put the killer behind bars.

I think part of the reason is that her family provided so many pictures of her. After looking at a couple of pages of them, you almost felt like you knew her personally. Her personality really jumped out of them. Seeing all of the snap shots of her doing every day things and looking so happy about it made it very obvious too that she was a well loved little girl. I've seen some cases where they only have one or two pictures available, and some where the child never looks happy in pictures, even while smiling. It's not just that we see that she enjoyed things like her pee wee cheer leading, but also that her mother cared enough to think that the memory was worth capturing.

This might be unpopular, but it does bother me that this case got 200+ LE working it, and other unsolved murders will never get that amount of effort. Even other high-profiles ones don't get anywhere near 200+ LE. Would there be as many LE if they believed a family member was responsible?

Each child is worthy. We, as a public, love each child. How then is it right to complain when any, any one of them are highlighted?

I am with you, hawkeye. I wish they all could. But I refuse to complain that any of them are brought forth into the public eye. We just have to work harder so that they are all known.

Half empty, half full.

I'm not seeing where I complained about the amount of media coverage this case received. I didn't even mention it.

Also, people on WS have worked very hard to get media coverage in other cases, and most times, their efforts go nowhere, or the case gets one segment on national TV.

My apologies. You are so right, hawkeye. Your complaint was about the number of people LE were working on Jessica's murder compare to unknowns ~ while I was talking about the coverage it received.

Do we know any stats on this to insinuate that LE has been remiss?

I'll admit, there was something about the JR case that just struck a chord with me when many other abduction cases did not in the past. I have no idea what it was about her, maybe it was just because she seemed like such a sweet kid I was rooting for her to be found.

She seemed like such a reliable kid that she wouldn't miss school on her own accord. I guess it seemed that she would never do something to bring this upon herself, like hang with the wrong crowd, or skip school, or anything like that. There was no questions if she was a runaway, or that she took of on her own. I wished so much that she would be found alive, she was such a good, innocent kid, someone you wished more kids were like. I think that's what made people rally behind her from the beginning.

And when they found her desecrated like that, I just think it broke people's hearts and that's when people really started to fear for their own safety and want to put the killer behind bars.

JR struck a chord with me too. It might be that I am local or maybe that I have a 10 yo dd who looks a bit like JR. It might be that I was raised in a similar family situation with a mom and grandma taking turns caring for me and working opposite shifts to do so. But she also captured my heart because of the reasons you said. It was clear she was not a runaway or a kid who did anything to bring this upon herself. She hadn't wandered away from home in some place she wasn't supposed to be. She was simply walking to meet a friend to go to school. She seems like the epitome of innocence and it breaks my heart that she was killed so brutally and her life taken away like it meant nothing.

I do think her case garnered the tremendous amount of LE that it did because of the concern he would strike again. I really don't think there was anything more to it than that.

I think part of the reason is that her family provided so many pictures of her. After looking at a couple of pages of them, you almost felt like you knew her personally. Her personality really jumped out of them. Seeing all of the snap shots of her doing every day things and looking so happy about it made it very obvious too that she was a well loved little girl. I've seen some cases where they only have one or two pictures available, and some where the child never looks happy in pictures, even while smiling. It's not just that we see that she enjoyed things like her pee wee cheer leading, but also that her mother cared enough to think that the memory was worth capturing.

Also the way her mom talked about her, I remember one quote where she said she wanted to be a cheerleader, but one who was nice to everyone. That just struck me as being so sweet. Poor Jessica, R.I.P. I hope her killer never sees the light of day except when he's in the prison courtyard.

Speaking of her mother caring enough... The second I instantly knew the mom was not involved, the second my heart broke for this little girl was the mom saying she'd last seen Jessica walking out the door and needed her to walk back through it. Something about the wording rang so pure and true. Still makes me tear up.

I hope his mother had her own car, or else the only car she has is now held in evidence for who knoze how long? Ummmpppfff.

17 year olds are tricky ... you think you know them, but they're transitioning to the attitude that parents are rather stupid. That lasts until about 22, and then they realize that parents aren't that stupid after all ... at least that's my experience.

She may have had concerns about her son, but at the same time she probably saw the glass half full, and optimistically hoped for the best ... suppressing her worst scenario fears. It's sounds like the aunt was involved in somehow bringing Austin's mother to the point of contacting investigators. In any case, I suspect that mom accepts that the worst case scenario involved the loss of her home and vehicle ... just because she knew her son.

Her personality really did shine through the pictures. She seemed genuinely joyful. At least her life seems to have been a happy one, in spite of the tragic and premature ending.

JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not trying to be a debbie downer...But why would this case cause Americans to finally get "fed up" and not the many other missing and murdered children cases that have been in the news? Even after this case, there will still be cases where the murderer gets an short sentence, and there will still be cases that the public won't go into a fury over.

ETA: Also you seem to be saying that Jessica captured attention even though she was a normal kid, but I feel like pretty much every missing/murdered child whose gotten attention is basically the "kid next door". THAT is part of the appeal in many cases.

I think I understand where you are coming from in your question as to why so many agencies and manpower were activated in this case.

I think that the only way to accurately respond, however, is if someone knows WHEN all of this manpower was activated. In other words, (1) was this number of personnel activated upon learning of Jessica's disappearance; (2) was it after the family was cleared and it was clear that there was a predator on the loose; (3) or was it after the "not intact" body of this precious young girl was found?

There is a (usually) short period of time after a child's disappearance is reported when the police are trying to determine if it is a runaway situation, a parental custodial issue, or even just a child who is okay but not where they are supposed to be (i.e., playing hooky from school, at a friend's house without permission, etc.). Once the answer to those questions is ascertained, law enforcement will act accordingly, assigning a certain number of officers to investigate further.

They had to clear the family from any involvement, which likely took a bit of time since Jessica's father lives in Missouri. They needed to verify his alibi and current location. They had to interview both parents and possibly give lie detector tests to determine the veracity of their stories. From there, they determined that there was a strong possibility that Jessica had been abducted and there was a predator on the loose. This fact would have necessitated the activation of even more personnel.

Once Jessica's body was found in the open space, and they had identified her, they knew that this was not your "everyday, run of the mill" child sexual predator. I am not in any way making light of other predators of this ilk--just trying to show the likely mindset of law enforcement after they found the "not intact" body of our precious Jessica. Finding her in such a state would indicate that this was an incredibly dangerous and frightening monster who had to be found NOW.

They needed to employ even more personnel to try to find this monster before he or she had an opportunity to abduct and harm another child. They needed every available resource--this was an emergency situation of the utmost concern that needed to be resolved fast. The more hands on deck, the better--not only for the safety of every child in the area, but also to help quell the fear of the entire community. What happened to Jessica was horrific and the community was reeling.

I wish that every single child abduction was given the same number of personnel to work the case as was given to Jessica's case, but I also understand the reasons why not every case is given that luxury.

I definitely think that pictures and ESPECIALLY videos of a victim can really generate interest in the public and media.

Hi..My first post, but I have been lurking for a long time. If there is an accomplice, he is just as sick and crazy as AS...Could they have a plan, that if one of them got caught, they would confess, and the other would go on brutally murdering innocent victims, throwing the investigation wide open? "Copycatting" themselves, I guess....

There is no evidence to suggest that anyone other than Ausin in involved in the murder of Jessica. He has been tied to the attempted abduction of a woman, with the use of a chemical/toxic substance, in Ketner Park. That happened in May this year. A similar attack occurred 2 years ago in the same park. Only one perp was involved in both cases. Police are also looking at connections between Austic Reed Sigg and the "candy man", driving a blue sedan, that twice attempted to abduct a young male child (about the same age as Jessica). Each case that has so far been connected to Austin, or investigated in relation to Austin, involves one perp.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any of the criminal activities associated with Austin include a second person.

Just one question re: "Bath Salts": Were they ever used for baths or were they always meant to be used as some kind of mood enhancing drug? If not, then who decided that it might be a good idea to ingest/smoke soap?.

The drug has the same appearance as bath salts.

I agree otto, and I think he liked doing the depraved things and wants to keep that to himself to relish and enjoy repeatedly.

I think so too. I don't think that he expected to get caught, but he screwed up ... like they all do ... and investigators found critical clues that led to him. After he knew it was over, I think he thought that as a 17 year old, he could get off with 7 years of juvenile prison, where he could continue to study forensics on the taxpayers dime. I think that he sees himself as some sort of forensic, gaming genius. When he knew that time was running out, he turned to his mother for an out ... and she spoke to her sister ... and they made the decision to do the right thing ... I'm speculating ... but I do agree ... Austin had big plans in the fields of Dexter ... serial murderer crime investigator.

I think the father is closer to the younger son than he is/was to Austin.

I hope the younger son/brother is weathering this well, but it's such a shame to think of him going to school every day a putting up with probably some ugly remarks. And their poor mother. Her life must be full of guilt feelings, desperation, shame, second-guessing herself, and loneliness. IDK anything about her, have read nothing, but I would think things are pretty bad for her and the other son just now.
icon9.gif

There was an article quoted earlier that said he didn't get the thrill he was hoping for just by murdering her, so tried some other things (like the dismemberment).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some of his classmates have remarked that he was fascinated with death ... don't remember where I read that ... but he was an unpopular child that didn't socialize properly, was awkward and stand offish, and seemed pre-occupied with death. If this is true, which I believe, then he didn't strangle Jessica in the car as soon as he abducted her. I think there was an entire fantasy ... that included the dismemberment ... that he played out. Her backpack was found the day after she was abducted, some of her remains five days later. Her clothes were found in her backpack, so she was gone by then.

How much time did Austin have alone between 8:30 AM on October 5 and when was he next seen? Where was he staying at the time? When did he return to his mother's home? Why did he miss school on Monday? Was he traveling to the open space near the old mines on Leyden Road on Monday?

I also think this case grabbed alot of attention because LE came out quickly to say family was NOT involved...
IMO.. By doing so, it allowed people to know.. The mom and dads emotions were real, nothing was fake.

I hope the younger son/brother is weathering this well, but it's such a shame to think of him going to school every day a putting up with probably some ugly remarks. And their poor mother. Her life must be full of guilt feelings, desperation, shame, second-guessing herself, and loneliness. IDK anything about her, have read nothing, but I would think things are pretty bad for her and the other son just now.
icon9.gif

I agree about the son. Do you think he is going to school. That would be the first thing I would do is take my son out of school at least that particular one. jmo

... unlike Caylee Anthony, whose pictures were released if the price was right.

... does his father have 15 car, or a 3 car, garage?
I've read both on this thread.

I think the consensus was that his mansion has a double garage, which appears to hold 4 to 5 cars. And there is another 'garage' type building alongside the home, which may or may not be used as a garage.

But also, there was a satellite photo, that showed 15 cars parked on the property. But who knows if they all belonged there. Maybe they were having a dinner party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjd777