CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The location of where the body was found at Clear Creek is about 6.5 miles from Warren Tech where AS was a student.

A = AS home
B = Approx. location of body found in Clear Creek, Wheat Ridge
C = Warren Tech
http://goo.gl/maps/b186b

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CO - *ARREST!* Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

Do we know what campus he attended? There is also a Warren Tech campus in Arvada.

http://sc.jeffco.k12.co.us/education/staff/staff.php?sectiondetailid=210638&

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr...DV-mqUo9rhzHSxa8gyD4CqA&t=h&gl=nz&mra=ls&z=12

Also, on the side of the house where my nephews man cave is in the basement, there are windows at ground level that can easily be used as a place to enter and leave from. My sister DOES NOT have the side door that goes into the garage. That is a builder option I believe.

By law there has to be window wells in any inhabitable basement per FIRE code in Colorado. ARS' house doesn't have window wells that I've seen = NO inhabitable basement.

In the formal charges is: Count Number 9 Sexual Assault of a Child - http://extras.mnginteractive.com/li...0_121657_People v. Sigg Charging Document.pdf

I infer that shows there was some sort of sexual motivation despite a possible self serving confession from AS.

I haven't doubted at all that there was a sexual motivation to this crime, from the very first time I read it.

All I am saying is that what LE has released so far appears to me to be a very brief summary of the six hours of interrogation. It appears to cover what the public needs to know at this point (that the perp has been apprehended, that he acted alone and a brief overview of how he managed to grab a kid from a public space). I can think of a whole bunch of good reasons for LE to withhold information about parts of the confession until these cases go to trial. Until then, I personally feel it is too soon for me to make any realistic judgment as to the accuracy of the confession.

In that, it is like so many other aspects of this case. There is a statement, apparently from one aunt, that says that Sigg was treated for a *advertiser censored* addiction. That doesn't give me enough information to make any inference as to what he was viewing, etc. I would need to know the qualifications of the person making the diagnosis and their stated philosophy of treatment before I could make a guess as to what actually happened with Sigg.

Like to know everyone's opinions of why there was a gag order directed by the Judge in this case...

Foxfire, what is your opinion of why in this particular case? I know I would love to hear everything! I also know that if I were to be on the jury that I could and would effectively be able to evaluate the evidence presented or lack thereof to make an informed logical lawful find of guilty or not guilty. I would take my position as a juror very seriously and would be able to realize that some of the info I had heard prior to trial could be wrong.
I want to know the evil that lurks amongst us now. I want to be able to recognize it. I want to be able to protect us from it. How can I if I don't know what it is?

RE: A gag order makes it clear to everyone involved that this is not going to be a circus, which just makes everyone look bad.

Don't know about you GrainneDhu, but the circus atmosphere is created due to sealed evidence & gag orders. This is a catalyst for rumors, conjecture, speculation.. Imo, this is due to CYA for an impotent justice system and less than competent investigations in prior abductions/attempts by Austin Reed Sigg...

Due to budgetary constraints, most jurors are brought in from other areas of the state rather than moving the trial, if a change of venue is granted. Changes of venues are seldom granted. There has been only 3 changes of venue in Florida's history; ted bundy, murderer of a FL state trooper, and casey anthony. Casey anthony's jurors were brought in from another FL County...

I don't agree. How would a circus continue with no new information? Once the media coverage slows down/stops, so will online discussion.

Just a quick question that has beem bothering me. Sigg will be 18 years old on Jan. 17th shouldn't that put him as an adult in CO. ? Then he has to face these charges as an Adult?

He almost certainly will be tried as an adult. Colorado law gives him the right to file a motion for a transfer back to juvenile court, so that the decision is not solely based on the prosecutor's judgment alone. That doesn't mean, though, that the transfer motion will be granted.

I'm glad that it appears that his lawyers are making the motion; that is one less issue to come up in appeal if this goes to trial.

RE: A gag order makes it clear to everyone involved that this is not going to be a circus, which just makes everyone look bad.

Don't know about you GrainneDhu, but the circus atmosphere is created due to sealed evidence & gag orders. This is a catalyst for rumors, conjecture, speculation.. Imo, this is due to CYA for an impotent justice system and less than competent investigations in prior abductions/attempts by Austin Reed Sigg...

Due to budgetary constraints, most jurors are brought in from other areas of the state rather than moving the trial, if a change of venue is granted. Changes of venues are seldom granted. There has been only 3 changes of venue in Florida's history; ted bundy, murderer of a FL state trooper, and casey anthony. Casey anthony's jurors were brought in from another FL County...

I totally do NOT agree. This is NOT Florida or Iowa or North Carolina anywhere else. I really wish peeps would stick to Colorado and their laws = which is where this case will be tired one day. LOOK at Co laws for change of venue. Please.

WARNING GRAPHIC

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but a neighbor who lives directly across the street from ARS quoted in the Denver Post something along the lines of their cat was found cut in half in the alley behind their house. I think last year?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21871553/police-strategy-may-have-spurred-mom-suspect-austin

I read about the dismembered cat and I think there's a reasonable chance that Sigg did it. However, there's also a chance that it was natural causes. In any area with an active coyote population, small animal dismemberments may be attributed to the coyotes.

I remember many years ago there was a scare about "Satanic ritual" cattle mutilations. One rural sheriff finally laid the whole thing to rest by buying a cow, humanely euthanising her, and leaving the carcass in a pasture where a previous supposed mutilation had taken place.

He was able to document that in less than 24 hours, scavenger activity replicated the supposed ritual mutilations. It wasn't just coyotes, it was rats, birds and even insects that all contributed to the typical post mortem wounds.

Coincidentally, most farmers check the cattle that are on grass in the summer about once a day. Which was about the right amount of time needed for a cow to die of natural causes and be scavenged by wildlife.

Lawdy. So much misinformation being posted here: (not you Emily)

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/25/classmates-describe-austin-sigg-as-smart-strange/

Murder suspect Austin Sigg was a mortuary science major at Arapahoe Community College in Littleton

Before that:
Sigg attended Warren Tech at the same time as Standley Lake High School. Sigg did not receive a diploma from Jefferson County Schools, however he did complete the GED program and received a certificate.

Posting part A without part B = confusion. Give the link for all to read without taking parts out. TIA.

Gosh. I need to go to bed. I'm getting grumpy. Sorry.

It has been my understanding from reading about several suspected serial murder cold cases that the opposite is usually true: perps usually start out close to home and then move further away as they get more experienced. So in suspected serial murders, LE tries to figure out which victim was the first to give them a general vicinity for where the perp was likely to live.

To give one example, in the DC Sniper case, the first assault committed by Lee Malvo under John Allen Muhammad's direction was in Louisiana, where Muhammad had grown up. It wasn't until after the pair were arrested that investigators learned that was where it had all started.

In many serial murderer cases, a map of the victim locations will follow a roughly spiral pattern outwards as the perp gains confidence. For instance, no matter which victim is considered the first for Ted Bundy, the subsequent ones spiral out from Bundy's home base at the time of the crime.

As I understand it, this principle is the basis for geographical profiling.

GrainneDhu, I agree, but I think we can all agree that Austin Reed Sigg had studied many predators prior; their MOs Signatures, Patterns, as well as LE's investigative strategies and SOPs, etc.. ARS, was a thinker, he read, he learned.. ARS, was very deflective; analogous to a a chameleon...
ARS's downfall was that he underestimated the amount of resources and the investigative techniques that would be utilized in the Jessica Ridgeway investigation. Seldom are DNA swabs of entire subdiviions taken in abduction cases...
This is why he came clean with his mother, imo....

I read about the dismembered cat and I think there's a reasonable chance that Sigg did it. However, there's also a chance that it was natural causes. In any area with an active coyote population, small animal dismemberments may be attributed to the coyotes.

I remember many years ago there was a scare about "Satanic ritual" cattle mutilations. One rural sheriff finally laid the whole thing to rest by buying a cow, humanely euthanising her, and leaving the carcass in a pasture where a previous supposed mutilation had taken place.

He was able to document that in less than 24 hours, scavenger activity replicated the supposed ritual mutilations. It wasn't just coyotes, it was rats, birds and even insects that all contributed to the typical post mortem wounds.

Coincidentally, most farmers check the cattle that are on grass in the summer about once a day. Which was about the right amount of time needed for a cow to die of natural causes and be scavenged by wildlife.
It's very possible it's a coyote. Around 10 years ago, there was a scare here in the southern area of denver. These cats were ending up dead, and lots of them. So everyone thought it was a serial cat killer. It ended up being coyotes. I remember this well because of all times my cat decided to take a 3 day vacation (to who knows where!) was during this. She came back and was fine, but I was freaking out thinking some lunatic was scoping out cats and killing them.

Seldom do coyotes leave their kill. Normally they devour it...
This was obviously done with a sword....MOO

The house was built in 1971 ... I don't think that wooden garage doors (is that the one with the pulley?) were still being used.

Wooden garage doors complete with pulley were being installed in houses in Iowa in 1969. Metal wasn't even an option then. My parents built a house in 1969 and my dad wanted every modern convenience possible for my mom.

Perhaps you're thinking of the really old one piece garage doors? The wooden garage doors from 1969 that I'm referring to were in four horizontal sections hinged together that rolled up on metal tracks, much the same as the newer metal ones.

Makes me LOL when I think of them. This was several years before garage door openers became common and I well remember the big OOF it took to heave the darn thing open. It didn't have any real brakes on it, either. These days, I suppose it would be considered incredibly dangerous but no one was ever injured. In good part because we knew from heaving the darn thing open how heavy it was!

Seldom do coyotes leave their kill. Normally they devour it...
This was obviously done with a sword....MOO

Some do, some don't. The incident above was a coyote(s) and they left the cats. I've also seen dead animals laying around. I live near a high population of coyotes area.

I totally do NOT agree. This is NOT Florida or Iowa or North Carolina anywhere else. I really wish peeps would stick to Colorado and their laws = which is where this case will be tired one day. LOOK at Co laws for change of venue. Please.

I really wish you would post a link for successful change of venue motions in Colorado. I think you will find that although almost always motions are filed, yet seldom granted...

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/01/change_of_venue_granted_in_gen.html

Change of venue granted in Genesee County for first time in 20 years, officials say
It has a little twist, though. While jurors will be from St. Clair County and hear opening statements there, jurors will be bused to Genesee County to hear witness testimony. Leyton said it would be more convienent for witnesses this way. A cost for the trial wasn’t immediately available.

The house was built in 1971 ... I don't think that wooden garage doors (is that the one with the pulley?) were still being used.

My house was built in the mid 90s and has wood doors - we have a garage door opener, it opens on a metal track.

There have been more than that in Iowa history and we're a much less populous state! Which is probably why, actually. It's harder to find an uncontaminated jury pool in a small town.

From media and personal reports, while moving in jurors is more popular with judges, the jurors hate it. It means being away from home and family, away from all the comforts of home and is really constrictive.

By law there has to be window wells in any inhabitable basement per FIRE code in Colorado. ARS' house doesn't have window wells that I've seen = NO inhabitable basement.

I don't have a link, but someone stated that there is 120sq ft of finished basement area. The window well(s) could be on the right side of the house (if you are looking at the front of the house) because this is where the basement is located, but there have been no pics available to be able to see any window wells :(

Someone had posted photos that couldn't be linked so they were removed. There was a pretty close up pic that showed the back left side of the house where there was a little patio/sitting area underneath the windows where the kitchen would be and there could have been a window well there also. I'm going to go back and look and see if it's still posted.

Charges haven't been formally read yet. Just wanted to say that because they can change. We've seen that happen before. Might happen, might not happen. Some could be dropped or more added--it just depends on how the investigation progresses.

If I'm not mistaken the court appearance on 25 OCT was to inform him how he will be tried (adult vs. juvenile) and bail revocation.

The next appearance should be the formal reading of the charges and at that time he can enter a plea (or choose not to do so at that time...depends).

I just saw today about the sexual assault on a child.

IMHO and only IMHO that was the initiating crime. What I mean to say that sexual assault was not an afterthought after he had abducted Jess. It was the motivating crime to abduct Jess---JMHO.

I'm going by the PDF csziggy posted.

Speculation:

Crime that set all of this into motion was the desire to commit a sexual assault.

He kidnapped her. Transporting her from one location to another without her consent.

They have been able to determine that he also (in addition to the sexual assault) physically assaulted her.

During the course of that assault he caused her death (that is how it is worded) and he is charged with her murder.

That's what how the charges read. However, those aren't formal charges yet. They are charges that are going to be brought forth before the court and read by the judge. They could change as I said above.

That's where I am. Those are the facts that we have. Everything that has been reported, even if it's been reported by MSM as having been stated by AS is hearsay and I'm not taking it into consideration. I'm especially not taking into consideration anything that was reported on as a "leak" or having been said by AS after the gag order. We've seen this too many times and know that carp gets started and becomes a giant mired mess.

IMHO eventually after the trial and after the subsequent conviction the information in the court docs and trial transcripts will be available. They should then be within the public domain and accessible through the FOIA --but---but---you have to know what you're asking for---and you have to probably pay for it? I don't know CO laws on that.

Just sharing my opinion and chatting.

GrainneDhu, I agree, but I think we can all agree that Austin Reed Sigg had studied many predators prior; their MOs Signatures, Patterns, as well as LE's investigative strategies and SOPs, etc.. ARS, was a thinker, he read, he learned.. ARS, was very deflective; analogous to a a chameleon...
ARS's downfall was that he underestimated the amount of resources and the investigative techniques that would be utilized in the Jessica Ridgeway investigation. Seldom are DNA swabs of entire subdiviions taken in abduction cases...
This is why he came clean with his mother, imo....

If the above is true, then Sigg was not a very fast learner. The first attack that he is charged with happened within a block or two of his own home!

Which is, historically, how serial predators start. They start close to home, get experience and confidence, then move out of their comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member