CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of this horrible event, this is the email sent out from the elementary school in my neighborhood. It has always been the school policy, but they are enforcing it harder now...names/numbers removed. Lots of freaked out parents out there....even much further south than JeffCo.

Dear * Elementary Parents,

In light of the very tragic abduction of the 10 year old girl on Friday, there are some things that I would really like to make sure we are all on the same page about. As always, the * Elementary staff has student safety at the heart of everything we do and we could really use your help in the following areas to make sure that our students are always accounted for, whether they are at school or at home for the day.

*If your child is going to be absent, please call the attendance line at * as soon as you know. If the office isn't open yet, please leave a message with your student's name, reason for absence, and expected return. You may also call the front office line at *.

* If we haven't received a phone call about your child's absence that morning, our front office staff will begin making calls after the 9:00 am attendance mark. This is our way of double checking that your student is really at home. We are having to leave messages for many parents right now and many do not call us back. This creates a very dangerous gap of time which can be detrimental to a search, should something unexpected take place.

*The bottom line is that we all must work as a team to make sure our students are safe and accounted for every single day. It is imperative that you let us know when your child is going to be absent. We will continue to make calls if we haven't heard anything, but it is so much safer if you can give us a heads up before school starts. We truly appreciate your help in this manner as we care deeply for all of our students and want to ensure that they are in safe and loving arms at all times! Please keep us informed of anything we can do from our end to help as well.

Thank you so much and have a great week!

Principal * Elementary

An International Baccalaureate School

At the start of each school year, we have a pile of forms to complete. There is a category for emergency contact. That includes two people (parents or guardians), with home, work, and cell phone numbers. These emergency numbers are needed in the event that a child is injured at school. For absences, from kindergarten until the 9th grade, the school phoned within the first hour of the day to notify me if my child was absent - and that only happened if I forgot to notify them. After the 10 grade, the automated absentee calls came in the evening. It is normal practice for the school to make the call to the home and leave a message if no one answers. I don't think any school has the resources to track down each parent for each student that is absent in the event that the first call goes to an answering machine. The assumption is always that the child is simply at home, or skipping, not that the child is abducted.

BBM

That is an assumption that is almost always correct. Over 99.9982759% of the time, the child is not at school but is otherwise fine.

There are 58 million children in the US. Assuming that 1000 a year are abducted by strangers (a number that is actually somewhere between 5 and 10 times as high as the actual number), that's 0.00172414% of all children.

In a time when families are being charged fees for textbooks and supervision for their children at lunch, I just don't see where the money is going to come from to track down a living person for every child who doesn't turn up at school. The overwhelming majority of the time, the child is fine.

My local school district is rural and tiny but fiercely supported by the community. As a community member, I know that if there is any extra in the budget (there isn't) I would much rather the money be used for something that is most likely to help the most children. Like increasing the number of hours the school nurse is in the building. Right now, the local elementary school has the school nurse for 10 hours a week.

I am so confused here. Not able to keep up being at work and I checked the Denver Post and it says nothing of Maine????
I have a wagon just like that Buick only an Oldsmobile with wood siding. They stand out.

new thread: this one will close shortly

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8437788#post8437788"]ACTIVE SEARCH CO - AMBER ALERT: Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

In Louisiana our RSO website has the vehicles that they own listed. I could not find this for Colorado.

Can someone help me find a website that has this for CO?

I'd like to know too. I've been searching since Monday. Maines SO registry doesn't have it either.

Kenny Holmes 7News ‏@KHOLMESlive
Large amt of crews just showed up to @westminsterpd. Not sure exactly what for, working on details #jessicaridgeway http://pic.twitter.com/ZU9dHhBZ

wow... look at the picture

I wonder if they're assembling a large search team. Given the perp's previous behaviour, I wonder if another item of interest has been identified (trying to get my policespeak down!).

The Maine sighting and others may very well not be Jessica, or they could be. I'm just glad they're being checked out and taken seriously, just in case. Re: why drive to Maine to go into Canada, there could be other reasons for Maine, but I'd be surprised if LE hasn't notified Canadian entry points near the Rocky Mtns, especially given that there may be a connection between this case and the WY case. If it is her, and the driver's intent is to enter Canada, there could be multiple reasons why they'd choose that entry point. A cabin they're headed to near there, etc. Just wild speculation, but wanted to defend that others' views shouldn't be so easily discarded as seems to be happening with regularity in this thread. People are brainstorming and throwing out ideas, that one wasn't mine, but I hope no one feels like they can't participate or their voice isn't valued. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne