CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters, but when I learned that the backpack was found, I pictured it being found on the side of a road, in open space much like this. I was thinking, well, I hope they take care with tire tracks and footprints. I was shocked to find out it was found on a sidewalk. No point to this post, other than to share that I'm not surprised we are at this location after all. :( I wish we weren't.

Do we remember, did the backpack ever get opened by the people who found it? Was the water bottle inside of it, or in an outside pouch? I wondered if it was left on the side of McCaslin and drug into the neighborhood by a dog/fox/coyote. Mom mentioned that they peeled oranges for her snack, so there could have been food there....and I also wondered about clothing or *shudder*, body parts :|

I can't help thinking about the sick individual that posted those disgusting videos of a recorded call to authorities about having Jessica onto youtube now. They have been taken down but my goodness it was mentioned some horrific things. I think police will have tracked down these people and as far as i am concerned after todays revelations they should be locked up for a long time.

I discovered WS b/c the Lisa Irwin case.

Often the media will be provided information on a case that's either off the record or background. Some of the information can be used or eluded to. And some of it cannot. It's actually nice to be able to discuss a case here on WS and not have to worry about what I can say publicly and what I can't.

Reporters often know far more than they can say publicly but they can use that information to affect their word choices and selections and the framing of sentences.

We know police publicly said the body was not intact.

I do think it's quite deliberative for at least one news outlet to say dismembered. I don't think it's sloppy journalism as some believe.

The media obviously has chopper video that gave them pictures and images they have chosen not to share.

The station that initially reported dismembered is also the station along with ABC that has said sources indicate they believe they have found Jessica's body. My instincts are this is a station with some really good sources and they have gotten the dismembered that way or via the chopper footage.

I realize it's really easy to throw sticks and stones at nameless media folks. These stories are tough for them. They have family and children. They are real people. They care and try hard. Yes, there are bad apples and there are people who are shallow and sensational. But most journalists I know are hard workers and mean well whether they are in Kansas City or Denver or Timbucktoo. And they try to do the right thing. Mistakes are made and these are tough situations to cover. But that doesn't mean they aren't human beings who don't care and hurt really hard when you go home at night.

Wow what took that tree down? Seems like a weird spot to blame high winds

That area right along highway 93 has the worst of the worst high winds, due to it's location at the bottom of the foothills. Highway 93 (runs north to south just a couple minutes west of the scene) is constantly closed due to high winds.

And thanks for that arial shot. I am seriously annoyed with myself for not taking the time to go and pull up maps (my flippin' specialty) on my own. Using the media stuff and what not only. Ugh, could have saved myself a lot of time...

I hope cause of death will be able to be determined...

Police: Search continues for missing Colorado girl

By P. SOLOMON BANDA, AP
2 hours ago

WESTMINSTER, Colo. — Colorado police looking for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared on her walk to school have found a body in a park, but are not saying whether it is linked to the case and noted Thursday that officers are still searching for her.

The discovery of the body is the latest turn in the disappearance of Jessica Ridgeway that has seen police look for clues in a reported sighting in a car with Colorado plates in Maine and a Wyoming abduction. The FBI said Thursday that abduction was unrelated.

At a pre-dawn news conference, police refused to release any details about the body found late Wednesday at a park in the suburban Denver city of Arvada, about seven miles from where Jessica disappeared Oct. 5. They also declined to say whether the body was that of a child.

Police spokesman Trevor Materasso said investigators were processing evidence from Pattridge Park and that no additional information was available. He left without answering questions...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20121008/US.Missing.School.Girl/

Does anyone know if the fence that the body was found beside is barbed wire or just cable? How far does it run along the road? I'm also curious as to how LE are getting over/through it. I hope that they check the wire in case anything may have gotten left on it if the perp leaned against it. Like a snag of fabric, hair or skin.

I discovered WS b/c the Lisa Irwin case.

Often the media will be provided information on a case that's either off the record or background. Some of the information can be used or eluded to. And some of it cannot. It's actually nice to be able to discuss a case here on WS and not have to worry about what I can say publicly and what I can't.

Reporters often know far more than they can say publicly but they can use that information to affect their word choices and selections and the framing of sentences.

We know police publicly said the body was not intact.

I do think it's quite deliberative for at least one news outlet to say dismembered. I don't think it's sloppy journalism as some believe.

The media obviously has chopper video that gave them pictures and images they have chosen not to share.

The station that initially reported dismembered is also the station along with ABC that has said sources indicate they believe they have found Jessica's body. My instincts are this is a station with some really good sources and they have gotten the dismembered that way or via the chopper footage.

I realize it's really easy to throw sticks and stones at nameless media folks. These stories are tough for them. They have family and children. They are real people. They care and try hard. Yes, there are bad apples and there are people who are shallow and sensational. But most journalists I know are hard workers and mean well whether they are in Kansas City or Denver or Timbucktoo. And they try to do the right thing. Mistakes are made and these are tough situations to cover. But that doesn't mean they aren't human beings who don't care and hurt really hard when you go home at night.

Hi DeAnn! Good to see you again (but sad circumstances indeed). Thank you for weighing in on the media side of the picture.

It is possible that the tree was determined to be a safety hazard for investigators & pushed over by the fire department snorkel/telescopic platform.

The tree had been dead for years and likely had fallen naturally sometime between 2007 and now (per side-by-side photos posted further up in this thread)... the police were there investigating and I highly doubt they would have disturbed the are around a tree that close to their investigation... the ground would have been all mangled if they knocked it down and uprooted it or if they cut it down the area would be covered in sawdust - neither case would benefit evidence collection that is for sure.

The location marked "5" is frequented by teens and local residents.
I don't know if "5" is the site of the Leyden Mine Shaft #3, where 10 men were killed in 1910, in what is known as the "Leyden Mine Disaster."
In the minds of local teenagers, it is connected to the Leyden Mine Shaft disaster.
Possibly, there may a connection existing in the mind of the perpetrator(s) with this site ("5") and the upcoming Halloween holiday, as some local teenagers pretend or believe this area ("5") is haunted.

I believe the perpetrator was familiar with this location.

x - Location of body
1 - Culvert
2 - Fence post
3 - Fallen Tree
4 - Abandoned building
5 - Abandoned buildings
6 - Pullover

Abandoned building (see "5")
body_location_14_zps6c16b19f.jpg

Abandoned building (see "5").
body_location_15_zps9554ef8b.jpg

body_location_013_zps278e94cf.jpg

Anyone know if they spent time searching the opposite side of the road in the abandoned buildings???

A man and woman that talked to a reporter last night said the day before yesterday LE said they would be checking in the area yesterday. The man said he was riding his bike yesterday and LE was there around noon when he saw them with the road closed off. More and more officers came and were all around that area, so I imagine they did.

The tree had been dead for years and likely had fallen naturally sometime between 2007 and now (per side-by-side photos posted further up in this thread)... the police were there investigating and I highly doubt they would have disturbed the are around a tree that close to their investigation... the ground would have been all mangled if they knocked it down and uprooted it or if they cut it down the area would be covered in sawdust - neither case would benefit evidence collection that is for sure.

Clearly now, not the case here. But there have been times (I know of 2 for sure), where a tree has been brought down because there was evidence in the tree. Also have seen them take down parts of a tree to get to evidence. Again, I got hasty and sloppy and did not look at a full out shot of the area or I would have seen the other angle. But, it does happen.

Originally Posted by Miziree
I found this interesting and informative when I was looking up Child abductions:
http://www.atg.wa.gov/ChildAbductionResearch.aspx

Key findings:

In 74 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child murder victim was female and the average age was 11 years old.

In 44 percent of the cases studied, the victims and killers were strangers, but in 42 percent of the cases, the victims and killers were friends or acquaintances.

Only about 14 percent of the cases studied involved parents or intimates killing the child.

Almost two-thirds of the killers in these cases have prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of those prior crimes committed against children.

The primary motive for the child abduction killer in the cases studied was sexual assault.

In nearly 60 percent of the cases studied, more than two hours passed between the time someone realized the child was missing and the time police were notified.

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

Respectfully snipped

Let's keep that 14% in our minds for all of these cases. These parents have a lost child and should not be subjected to scrutiny by anyone other than LE. Furthermore if LE clears them; we should all respect that and move on.

Eclipse33, with all due respect, the post by Miziree, was educational and very informative, imo and does not scrutinize or point fingers at the parents. The parents have been cleared by MPD..

Link: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ChildAbductionResearch.aspx

Washington State office of the Attorney General
Crime & Safety > Homicide Investigation Tracking System (HITS) > Child Abduction Murder Research
2006 Child Abduction Murder Study

(read more - snipped)
With more killers identified, researchers found threat that the killer will be a friend or acquaintance is nearly equal to that of a stranger.
The probability that the killer’s name will come up during the first week of the investigation has decreased.
The use of *advertiser censored* by killers as a trigger to murder has increased.

Read in article that Jessica has a sore on top of her nose below where her glasses sit that "doesn't heal"???????!!!!! Good Grief! Did this child have cancer!?

I wondered what that was about too?

Sounds like the car has been explained. Check that one off to a bad gut feeling... Once again, it's all pointing to statistics. Wondering why I am trying to veer away from them lately?

LOL....well kind of.....except why a woman with two children who just moved would abandon her car behind a Walmart during the night..or why the girl who resembled JR was with a man at the convenience store! All of which is probably irrelevant, but curious just the same!

Or....why was the car seen two places in MAINE first? Not exactly on the way from Colorado to the location where it was found abandoned.

Read in article that Jessica has a sore on top of her nose below where her glasses sit that "doesn't heal"???????!!!!! Good Grief! Did this child have cancer!?

I have seen many folk who have that sore. It just never heals from the constant rubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman