CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I am really impressed with the way schools are run in the US. The security in Australian schools is NOTHING like the way it is there. All of the schools my kids (and I) have attended have consisted of an grass oval (I have no idea what you would call it over there), an area the same size as 2 ovals that has an office, canteen/wet area, a library and 6 building with 4 class rooms each. The school perimeter (except for the play oval) is surrounded by mesh fences, there are 4 gates but they are not locked during the day. Anyone can enter or exit through them with no one noticing. Only our Kindy (4 year olds, part time) and pre primary kids (5 year olds, full time) are "locked in". But only the external gate was locked, you could still enter the yard through the internal school grounds. Actually, in our last school (different state) it was only the 4 year olds who were locked in.

Did Mom drive to work or did she ride with someone. Did someone drop her off.
I think its someone very close and knew Little Jess walked alone.

It was the walk from her house to the park that was the danger.

That's a good question, this is along the lines I'm thinking too. I just don't think this was a crime of one time opportunity, I think the perp knew the routine.

If it was someone who worked mom's shift, then he would have a whole day to get rid of whatever evidence he had.

This guy is playing with the cops and thinks he will outsmart them. He won't. He already messed up - need to go back to old threads to find links to that, but it was under some comments made on the Denver newspaper.

This leads me to my other question....what led them to that spot with the body? I don't think they just happened upon it, they were given a clue or the perp messed up, as indicated in the comments on the newspaper site.

The perp leaving the backpack in the middle of a sidewalk is a 'ha-ha' moment for him. He'll get greedy, wants notoriety, and he'll trip up.

I would not be able to refrain myself from doing harm to someone who harmed my child. I think it's time to bring a little backwoods justice to people who do this to kids. Stop clogging the courts and prisons - castrate them, give them a lobotomy and put them on an island somewhere and see if they can survive.

Yeah about being safe at schools, I had posted this on another thread a while back. I live in Germany, where granted, it's not like a utopia but the kids definitely roam more and have more freedom. A six year old taking the train alone is not so uncommon although I would never allow it.

I went one time to pick up my 4 year old from the preschool and.....she's not there. My heart racing, sick to my stomach, my daughter and her little friend had managed to convince the teachers that their mom's said it was okay that they leave alone and walk home to the little girl's house - about a mile away, crossing busy streets. I knew where to find her, and lo and behold they were there, but the fact the school let them go. I mean, really. It's different over here somehow, but I still worry.

I can't imagine what her parents are going through I can't get her out of my head. How hard it must be for everybody to keep searching as well knowing it's probably her. Bless all the people helping, her family and friends

Sadly, this case reminds me so much of the Holly Jones case. Kidnapped on a short walk, 10 years old, raped, murdered, dismembered. Perp was Michael Biere and apparently it was his first killing. Single man, well dressed, stranger, but lived close by.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Briere"]Michael Briere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

http://www.hollyjones.ca/

I'm not trying to heap even more fear into anyone, but the truth is, sometimes they aren't even safe at school, unfortunately. A former staff member at my kids' school is now in prison as a child RSO, and there are numerous other stories out there like that.

Since we can't watch them 24/7, you're right that we need to educate our children. I've posted this numerous times, but a great book - a must-read IMO - is Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) by Gavin de Becker (he also wrote The Gift of Fear which is about following your instincts when your hinky meter goes up):

Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane): Gavin de Becker: 9780440509004: Amazon.com: Books
:seeya: belimom. Thanks for posting and sharing this. I'm buying this as a gift for my adult children as a tool to use for my grandchildren!

"Officials believe the girl -- who is described as blonde, blue-eyed, 4 feet 10 inches tall and 80 pounds -- may have changed clothes.

"We are asking people to not focus on the clothes," Materasso said. "Really focus on Jessica, focus on her facial features. If you see a flier, take a good look at it."
http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com...ca-ridgeway-expands-superior-open-space-areas

"Police say it’s likely her clothes may have changed since she disappeared."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...orado-girl-expanded-after-backpack-found?lite

Did officials make the clothes comment before or after the backpack was found? If after, I would wonder if clothing was found in the backpack prompting them to assume she'd changed into something else?

I can't imagine what her parents are going through I can't get her out of my head. How hard it must be for everybody to keep searching as well knowing it's probably her. Bless all the people helping, her family and friends

I feel the same way misse. I can't get J nor her parents off my mind.

Good morming, I have been reading some on this case since yesterday. I know some of you have been here since the day Jessica disappeared. I was up early this morning watching GMA. This is what was on. This doesn't really make it a particularly good morning though. I never will understand the sick people that live in this world. Hope whoever did this is found and punished soon.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ri...rofile-suspect/story?id=17460629#.UHgAK1GD-G0

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ile-of-suspect-in-jessica-ridgeway-kidnapping

FBI releases psychological profile of suspect in Jessica Ridgeway kidnapping

bbm

The FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit said that often, someone in the community will unknowingly be associated with the offender of the crime, and may be in a position to observe behavioral changes in that person. They will recognize the changes, and may even question the person about it, but may not relate the changes to that person’s involvement in the crime.

Immediately following the incident, he may miss work. The absence will be sudden and unplanned. He may either be a “no show” or he may offer a plausible excuse such as illness, death in the family, car trouble, etc.

He may miss scheduled appointments/commitments and be unaccounted for during this period. These appointments/commitments may include such things as medical appointments, meetings with a probation officer, prior commitment to a friend or family member, drug test, etc.

He may suddenly leave town, either with no explanation or with some plausible reason.

This individual may express an intense interest in the status of this investigation and pay close attention to the media. However, some offenders may quickly turn off media accounts or try to redirect conversations concerning the victims or their families.

There may be changes in the usual consumption of alcohol and/or drugs.

He may make a change in his appearance or alter something to prevent identification, such as changing the look of his vehicle, cleaning or discarding his vehicle.

Yeah about being safe at schools, I had posted this on another thread a while back. I live in Germany, where granted, it's not like a utopia but the kids definitely roam more and have more freedom. A six year old taking the train alone is not so uncommon although I would never allow it.

I went one time to pick up my 4 year old from the preschool and.....she's not there. My heart racing, sick to my stomach, my daughter and her little friend had managed to convince the teachers that their mom's said it was okay that they leave alone and walk home to the little girl's house - about a mile away, crossing busy streets. I knew where to find her, and lo and behold they were there, but the fact the school let them go. I mean, really. It's different over here somehow, but I still worry.

For some reason we dont hear about as many children going missing in other countries. Oh it happens but i do not think is on as grand scale as it is here in the good old usa. Its like open season on our children here every day we add a few more names to our lists here at websleuths and these are only the ones we hear about! Sad and something has to be done to stop it! Where does it end?
Put shock collars on these perps. Castrate them! Kill them! W would be a much better society without them!

It really is very very scary that children are preyed upon as a hunter would with wildlife.
The punishment needs to be swift and ending. But no it goes on and on and on and on and the killer is protected and leads a pretty secure life in jail. Where is the justice in that I ask???
This country needs to do something.

Apologies if I've missed it, but has it been announced if there's to be a press update again this morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorekeeper
Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt says the condition of the body, which was described by Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso as "not intact," indicates an experienced killer.

Just curious does anyone know of cases of child abductions where the victim's body is damaged like this? I can think of some where the victim was an adult.

Zahra Baker. Adam Walsh.

I know there's more but I can't tease the full names out of my memory right now.

RE: Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt says the condition of the body, which was described by Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso as "not intact," indicates an experienced killer.

Imo, former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt; an abduction victim as a child, has given the most insightful info of the unknown suspect thus far. A sexual predator does not begin their evil trail of terror dismembering innocent victims. Imo, this indicates a predator that has escalated over years or even decades.

GrainneDhu, the three decade old Adam Walsh case, sadly is a prime example, imo. Otis Toole; Adam's killer admitted that Adam was the only victim that he regretted killing. Adam, did not fit his usual victim profile.

Evil has no specific victim profile only a preference..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjRi_iLlGk"]BRINGING ADAM HOME by Les Standiford and Joe Matthews - YouTube[/ame]
BRINGING ADAM HOME by Les Standiford and Joe Matthews

For some reason we dont hear about as many children going missing in other countries. Oh it happens but i do not think is on as grand scale as it is here in the good old usa. Its like open season on our children here every day we add a few more names to our lists here at websleuths and these are only the ones we hear about! Sad and something has to be done to stop it! Where does it end?
Put shock collars on these perps. Castrate them! Kill them! W would be a much better society without them!

I always wonder if these cases seem more prevalent to us crime followers, because we are always following them, so we get them in very concentrated doses.

Also, I wonder if they are/seem more common in the US, because of the size of the population compared to other countries.....*shrug*

It really is very very scary that children are preyed upon as a hunter would with wildlife.
The punishment needs to be swift and ending. But no it goes on and on and on and on and the killer is protected and leads a pretty secure life in jail. Where is the justice in that I ask???
This country needs to do something.

I agree wholeheartedly, but until this nation, as a whole, stands up and says, enough is enough, it will go on and on and nothing will change.

In the meantime, we (my wife and I) do our best to inform our two children.

It's even harder for us, because my son is Autistic, on the higher scale, but very socially, as in social skills, behind, and he also has learning difficulties and severe ADHD.

So, it's harder for us to explain certain things to him, and until he matures enough, he will always be with us.

Did officials make the clothes comment before or after the backpack was found? If after, I would wonder if clothing was found in the backpack prompting them to assume she'd changed into something else?

These were reported on the 8th, which was after the backpack was found. There is reference to a news conference on Monday, so it appears that the quotes were likely made that day (the 8th). I'll bet you are right that the clothes were found in the backpack. But I am guessing that she wasn't changed into other clothes--just stripped. My hunch is that she was already dead when the backpack was dropped off. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3