GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NOV 4, 2021
‘Disappointed’: Prosecutors, Jonelle Matthews Family React To Mistrial For Steve Pankey – CBS Denver (cbslocal.com)
[...]

“We still have an active prosecution. We still have an active investigation. And, really, all I can say at this point is I want to thank the jury from the bottom of my heart for all their time and attention,” said District Attorney Michael Rourke.

[...]

Pankey’s defense attorney, Anthony Viorst, said his client was also frustrated by the outcome of the trial. Pankey believed he should’ve been acquitted and released on all counts.

[...]

Because Pankey was ruled guilty of false reporting to authorities he could be sentenced to up to six months behind bars. However, Viorst said his client should be credited for time served during the trial.

“He has already served more than the maximum sentence permitted for that offense, so I would assume he would get credit,” Viorst said.

[...]

Rourke said he would have further discussions with the Matthews Family to decide next steps. Both sides were asked to return to the Weld County Courthouse on Monday for a status hearing.

The decision on whether or not to try Pankey once again will ultimately be made by the Weld County District Attorney’s Office.

I don't ever recall Jonelle's ethnicity called into question. I learned for the first time during her mother's testimony that she was adopted.

ETA: from the DP link:

Detectives learned that Jonelle was adopted from a Los Angeles agency when she was 1 month old. Police in Los Angeles watched the birth mother’s house for six weeks in case she had something to do with Jonelle’s disappearance, but later cleared her without contacting the woman who was only 13 when she gave birth to Jonelle.

Colorado Cold Cases: Jonelle Matthews vanished after singing Christmas carols at a nursing home

RBBM

True - to my knowledge, Pankey is the only one who brought it up.:rolleyes:

Monday, Nov. 8th:
*Status Hearing (@ 1:15pm MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 11/2/21. Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21. 11/2/21: Jurors deliberated for ~5 hours. 11/3/21: Jurors deliberated for ~7 ½ hours. 11/4/21: Jurors deliberated for ~5 ½ hours. Total deliberations: 18 hours. Mistrial declared for counts 1 thru 3.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-15) 10/12/21-11/2/21 & Jury deliberations (Day 3/Trial Day 18) 11/2/21 reference post #96 here:
MISTRIAL - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

11/4/21 Thursday, Jury deliberations Day 3: The jury couldn't reach a consensus on three of four counts but did convict him on a charge of false reporting. A mistrial was declared for counts one, two & three. Those charges included 1st degree murder, felony murder & 2nd degree kidnapping. The jury reached a unanimous guilty verdict on count four, which was false reporting to authorities. That is a misdemeanor with a maximum of sentence of six months. Pankey has already spent more time than that behind bars & will likely get credit for that time, On the other counts, prosecutors will have to decide whether to proceed with a second trial against Pankey. That will be addressed during a status hearing set for Monday, 11/8/21@ 1:15pm to address sentencing & bond.

From the link:

Judge Timothy Kerns denied Viorst's request to modify Pankey's bond. He's being held in custody on a $5 million cash-only bond.

Viorst also withdrew as Pankey's attorney Monday, saying he doesn't have time or energy to devote to trying the case again given his small law practice and his age. The court appointed public defenders to represent Pankey.

Pankey thanked Viorst for his work representing him.

"He did a great job for me, and he fought hard," he said.

Viorst told The Denver Gazette he continues to believe in Pankey's innocence and hopes a jury will exonerate him in the new trial. He said as soon as he heard the jury deadlocked last week, he thought about whether he had the capacity to provide the best possible defense in a retrial.

"I thought that he might be better served having a new set of eyes looking at the case."

Pankey's new public defenders said they are looking into whether Pankey's new trial should be moved out of Weld County, given heavy media coverage of the case.

Kerns set a status hearing for 1:15 p.m. Nov. 17.

@Niner

Last edited:
NOV 9, 2021
Family of Jonelle Matthews: Thank you, Greeley, for 37 years of love and support – Greeley Tribune
On behalf of the Matthews family, I want to share our heartfelt appreciation to the city of Greeley for all the support you have given our family these past 37 years. Your love, your prayers and your financial support have helped us survive since Jonelle disappeared 37 years ago.

Every time we come back to Greeley, it always feels like “home.” Even though we have moved around a lot these past few years, there has always been a special place in our hearts for all of you here in Greeley.

Though the trial for Jonelle did not turn out the way we had hoped, we know that God is faithful and eventually, we will experience “Justice for Jonelle.”

We appreciate you!

[Redacted], Family of Jonelle Matthews

Wednesday, November 17th:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ 1:15pm MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond. Bond reduction denied (11/8/21).
Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 11/2/21. Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21. 11/2/21: Jurors deliberated for ~5 hours. 11/3/21: Jurors deliberated for ~7 ½ hours. 11/4/21: Jurors deliberated for ~5 ½ hours. Total deliberations: 18 hours. Mistrial declared for counts 1 thru 3. Guilty on count 4, false reporting to authorities.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-15) 10/12/21-11/2/21 & Jury deliberations (Day 3/Trial Day 18) 11/2/21 reference post #96 here:
MISTRIAL - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

11/4/21 Thursday, Jury deliberations Day 3: The jury couldn't reach a consensus on three of four counts but did convict him on a charge of false reporting. A mistrial was declared for counts one, two & three. Those charges included 1st degree murder, felony murder & 2nd degree kidnapping. The jury reached a unanimous guilty verdict on count four, which was false reporting to authorities. That is a misdemeanor with a maximum of sentence of six months. Pankey has already spent more time than that behind bars & will likely get credit for that time, On the other counts, prosecutors will have to decide whether to proceed with a second trial against Pankey. That will be addressed during a status hearing set for Monday, 11/8/21@ 1:15pm to address sentencing & bond.
11/8/21 Update: Prosecutors will pursue a new trial for Pankey. Judge Timothy Kerns denied Tony Viorst's request to modify Pankey's bond. He's being held in custody on a $5 million cash-only bond. Viorst also withdrew as Pankey's attorney Monday, saying he doesn't have time or energy to devote to trying the case again given his small law practice & his age. The court appointed public defenders to represent Pankey. Pankey's new public defenders said they are looking into whether Pankey's new trial should be moved out of Weld County, given heavy media coverage of the case. Judge Kerns set a status conference hearing for 1:15pm 11/17/21.

NOV 17, 2021
Former Idaho office-seeker to be re-tried for 1984 murder of Colorado girl | KELO-AM
Steven Pankey, 70, will stand trial again for the kidnapping and murder of Jonelle Matthews, who vanished in 1984 and whose remains were uncovered more than three decades later, according to minutes from a status hearing on Wednesday.

Court sets May 2022 status hearing for Steve Pankey case – Greeley Tribune
[...]

Pankey on Wednesday withdrew his not guilty plea to kidnapping and murder charges in the case to prevent legal issues with his speedy trial rights. Public Defender John Walsh noted it’s “exceedingly likely” Pankey will reenter a plea of not guilty.

Walsh asked Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns to set a status hearing in about six months to give the defense time to review the evidence in the case.

[...]

A status hearing was set for 1:30 p.m. May 3.

Pankey is being represented by the public defender’s office ...

The defense filed a couple of motions that were briefly discussed Wednesday, including one regarding the release of juror information and another objecting to expanded media coverage ...

Kerns set a Dec. 10 deadline for prosecutors to file a response to the defense’s motion regarding the release of juror information, noting media would need to apply before the same deadline if they would like to get involved because he would not plan to make the document public if it is granted. The public defender’s office would then have a week to reply, at which point Kerns would issue an order as quickly as possible.

A motions hearing was set for 1:30 p.m. Feb. 8.

PommyMommy from article said:
A status hearing was set for 1:30 p.m. May 3.

Actually the court site calls this hearing an Arraignment.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
2/8/22
1:30 PM 1Hr IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Motions Hearing D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

5/3/22
1:30 PM 30M IN PERSON PANKEY, STEVEN Arraignment D622020CR1866 Weld County Division 11

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

I just saw this case on 48 hours- went to Google and saw there was a mistrial- Is he going to be tried again. This is a very weird case. I think he is kind of nutty, but as far as proof goes, I am not sure they have enough to convict him and the prosecutor says there is no DNA evidence to connect him to the crime. Thoughts?

I just saw this case on 48 hours- went to Google and saw there was a mistrial- Is he going to be tried again. This is a very weird case. I think he is kind of nutty, but as far as proof goes, I am not sure they have enough to convict him and the prosecutor says there is no DNA evidence to connect him to the crime. Thoughts?
Yes, that's already been decided and Steve Pankey also has a new attorney. SP will be arraigned in May 2022.

Yes, that's already been decided and Steve Pankey also has a new attorney. SP will be arraigned in May 2022.

Thank you for your response: it would have been nice if 48 hours would have updated their program - I guess that is what Google is for!!!! Thanks again. This is no slam dunk
that's for sure

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back