GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could be. Reports say that detail was kept close to the vest. Press never got wind of the rake until fall 2020. Trial reporting doesn’t reveal questioning around that topic- that I’ve seen. So unless defense brought in LEOs from back in the day, who testify that the rake was widely discussed, I’d believe the secrecy was upheld. No clue what the jurors will decide.

Man Charged With Murder in 1984 Killing of Colorado Girl Taken From Home (Published 2020)
I also think the press knew about it from the start, they tend to know all the details just don't report what they are told not too, I think little can remain a secret when more than one person knows said secret, and how can the defence prove it was not a secret when all the secret holders were saying the same thing, the states case relies on the rake being a secret so I doubt anybody would ever admit to breaching that secret,

I tend to be very cynical of things being stated as absolutes when my experience of human beings is we all talk even when we shouldn't.

Because the Press is known for restraint of pen and tongue???
Your faith in that is admirable.
There are always details the police keep secret.Details only the true killer would know.
It's a tool used to find the killer.
Why do you think so few details are available about Libby and Abby? and a lot of cases on this board???
It's not to be mean to the families or press it's to catch a killer.

NOV 2, 2021
Steve Pankey trial Day 15: Jury in deliberations after closing arguments – Greeley Tribune
The three-week trial for Steve Pankey, the 70-year-old man accused of murdering 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews, came to a close Tuesday as the jury headed into deliberations.

[...]

Most of the evidence highlighted Pankey’s involvement and knowledge of Jonelle’s disappearance poses the question: “How would he know that if he didn’t do it?”

In August 2013, Pankey sent a letter to the DA’s Office stating he knew a blanket or a comforter was taken from the Matthews’ house. In pictures from the scene of the crime on the night Jonelle disappeared, a blanket was shown out of place in the home.

In previous statements, Pankey said he knew Jonelle died before she crossed 10th Street in Greeley and that people shouldn’t be giving the Matthews family hope. In addition, Pankey’s house, at the time, happened to be in the 6000 block of 10th Street

“How did he know that?,” Miller asked. “Because he did it.”

[...]

Miller went through his views of what happened the night Jonelle disappeared, noting “there is a lot of evidence in this case.”

Miller asked the jurors to use their common sense when going through the evidence against Pankey and deciding on a verdict.

[...]

Pankey has said the two have “bad blood” and claimed Ross was an “abusive supervisor.” Meanwhile, in Ross’ testimony, Pankey meant nothing to him, according to Miller.

Due to the grudge Pankey held on Ross for past issues, Miller believes Pankey followed Ross to the Matthews’ home, where he saw Jonelle alone. Miller said Pankey may have tried to frame Ross since he was the last to see her that night, providing Pankey with a motive.

[...]

Viorst criticized circumstantial evidence and prosecutors’ closing arguments. Despite the connection between Ross and Pankey, Viorst argued that prosecutors were unable to show Pankey had a relationship with the Matthews family, proving there was no connection or motive.

[...]

Prosecutors made it clear no one knew if Pankey could have buried Jonelle the night of her disappearance or if it was later. But Pankey did make previous comments that he knew the area where her remains were found was not previously an active oil and gas site, indicating he knew the area, they argued.

[...]

A long list of examples and evidence that attest to Pankey’s involvement in the Jonelle case was presented again to the jury, including his Jan. 17, 1985 call to Detective Jack Statler of the Greeley Police Department.

On the call, Pankey claimed to have information about Jonelle’s case through his pastoral privilege. He asked Statler to give him information law enforcement had in return for information Pankey gained as an ordained minister, which has been proven to be a false title.

At this time, Pankey stated she was abducted and most likely dead, while the rest of Greeley and Jonelle’s family were holding out for hope that she just ran away, Miller argued.

[...]

Before the victim’s remains were discovered, Pankey told an Idaho officer, “I have buried more people than you’ll ever know,” according to the officer’s testimony, adding the bodies were in Colorado.

Miller said Pankey’s “incriminating and inconsistent” statements over the years were solely ways to taunt law enforcement. In 1999, Pankey referred to himself as a “master manipulator” and stated the state cannot solve the cold case without his help.

[...]

Two Greeley detectives, Robert Cash and Mike Prill, came to Pankey’s house to interview him about the case in 2019. Directly after their encounter, Pankey began making documents and a timeline on his laptop.

One of his folders was called an “Action Plan,” where he claimed the police department was isolating him, how law enforcement needed to release controlled evidence and plans to humiliate the DA’s office and the police. In the folder, Pankey never wrote anything along the lines of telling officers he was innocent in Jonelle’s disappearance, Miller said to the jury.

Miller argued the court can look at Pankey’s involvement in the investigation with three phases: claims of pastoral privilege, seeking immunity and then going rogue.

[...]

A list of evidence from Hicks shows Pankey is responsible for the murder of Jonelle, according to Miller:
  • He dumped the dogs. Perhaps, the dogs were smelling what he buried or something in his car, Miller said.
  • The family had never traveled before, but decided to go on an unannounced trip after Jonelle’s disappearance.
  • She had to flip through stations and get newspapers regarding Jonelle, despite the family’s ban on TV, radio and news. Hicks’ sister confirmed there was a ban, and she experienced it when she visited, according to her testimony.
  • She saw him burying something in the yard immediately upon their return home from the California trip. Later that week, she saw a burning car on their property.
  • By 1999, she asked him why rent hadn’t been paid yet, and he said he spent the money on trying to gain immunity in the Jonelle case. He told her, “You don’t think I could hurt her? You look just like her.”
  • Pankey rambled about rake marks in the snow outside the Matthews home.
  • Pankey said, “I hope this didn’t happen because of Jonelle Matthews” over his son’s urn.
[...]

The evidence involving the shoe prints raked over in the snow was not available to the public, and multiple sources testified to this during the trial. Miller said in his closing argument that he understands how a neighbor or co-worker could figure out the evidence held back from the public, but Pankey would have no way of finding it out.

[...]

When he took the stand last week, Pankey said a law enforcement gave him the information regarding the shoe prints and raking. He also claimed Lockwood took his DNA from a soda can, which was not possible at that time in DNA technology. Lockwood was unaware of the raked over prints evidence, Miller said.

[...]

To observe the full display of guilty mind, Rourke referred to five dates involving Pankey:
  • Dec. 22, 1984: The unannounced and unpacked trip to California.
  • Dec. 26, 1984: The radio and newspaper searches for information on the case.
  • April 8, 2019: Cash called Pankey, and then he immediately started searching the case online.
  • July 23, 2019: Pankey conducted several online searches about Jonelle, including the night he didn’t sleep searching for what police knew.
  • Aug. 15, 2019: After Cash and Prill interviewed him, Pankey started searching the internet more.
[...]

Last edited:
NOV 3, 2021
Jury To Reconvene Thursday After Failing To Reach Verdict For Steve Pankey In Jonelle Matthews Murder Trial – CBS Denver (cbslocal.com)
The jury will reconvene on Thursday after failing to reach a verdict for the second day of deliberations in the Jonelle Matthews murder trial. Steve Pankey is accused of murdering Jonelle Matthews in December 1984.

[...]

Steve Pankey murder trial: Greeley community remembers Jonelle Matthews | FOX31 Denver (kdvr.com)
[...]

As the jury continued day two of deliberations, Greeley community members inside of Roasty’s Cafe anxiously awaited a verdict, remembering the young girl at the center of this tragedy.

“It struck so close to home, I mean really just around the corner. It was — it was sad,” BL said.

The BL family lives just three blocks away from where the Matthews family lived back in 1984 — the location from where Jonelle disappeared.

Lujan said her boys went to school with the 12-year-old girl.

“My son, he’s almost 50 now, and he says he remembers way back then,” BL said. “Back when we found out, my son said, ‘I don’t think she ran away, mom. She was just a good girl, real nice.’”

[...]

NOV 3, 2021
Jury To Reconvene Thursday After Failing To Reach Verdict For Steve Pankey In Jonelle Matthews Murder Trial – CBS Denver (cbslocal.com)
The jury will reconvene on Thursday after failing to reach a verdict for the second day of deliberations in the Jonelle Matthews murder trial. Steve Pankey is accused of murdering Jonelle Matthews in December 1984.

[...]

Steve Pankey murder trial: Greeley community remembers Jonelle Matthews | FOX31 Denver (kdvr.com)
[...]

As the jury continued day two of deliberations, Greeley community members inside of Roasty’s Cafe anxiously awaited a verdict, remembering the young girl at the center of this tragedy.

“It struck so close to home, I mean really just around the corner. It was — it was sad,” BL said.

The BL family lives just three blocks away from where the Matthews family lived back in 1984 — the location from where Jonelle disappeared.

Lujan said her boys went to school with the 12-year-old girl.

“My son, he’s almost 50 now, and he says he remembers way back then,” BL said. “Back when we found out, my son said, ‘I don’t think she ran away, mom. She was just a good girl, real nice.’”

[...]
The Fox vid in the above link shows brief footage of Jonelle singing in her Christmas concert. She really looked like she loved singing.

#JusticeForJonelle

Thursday, November 4th:
*Trial continues (Day 18)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 3) (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 11/2/21. Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21. 11/2/21: Jurors deliberated for ~5 hours. 11/3/21: Jurors deliberated for ~7 ½ hours. Total deliberations: 12 ½ hours.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-15) 10/12/21-11/2/21 & Jury deliberations (Day 1/Trial Day 17) 11/2/21 reference post #96 here:
VERDICT WATCH - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

11/3/21 Wednesday, Jury deliberations Day 2: Jurors deliberated from 8:30am to 5pm. Jury deliberations will continue 11/4/21.

Hmmm…Sounds like they are having trouble agreeing. This may be a jury that can’t get past the lack of physical evidence linking him to the crime.I hope Jonelle gets justice….But it is a tricky one..I think he probably did it, but…

Hmmm…Sounds like they are having trouble agreeing. This may be a jury that can’t get past the lack of physical evidence linking him to the crime.I hope Jonelle gets justice….But it is a tricky one..I think he probably did it, but…

Even if the jury can't agree the loved ones now have answers and Janelle was found.
It has to be so much better than all of those years of mystery

Even if the jury can't agree the loved ones now have answers and Janelle was found.
Jonelle...
Damn auto correct
It has to be so much better than all of those years of mystery

Last edited:
Steve Pankey trial: Jury reaches verdict in Jonelle Matthews case | 9news.com

11/4/2021

GREELEY, Colo. — The jury deciding the fate of Steve Pankey, who's charged in connection with the 1984 death of 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews, couldn't reach a consensus on three of four counts but did convict him on a charge of false reporting.

Jurors began deliberations on Nov. 2 following more than two weeks of testimony in Weld County where prosecutors asserted that Pankey's own statements pointed to him as her killer, while the defense argued the case lacked evidence and said Pankey's "obsessive interest" didn't make him a killer.

A mistrial was declared for counts one, two and three. Those charges included first-degree murder, felony murder and second-degree kidnapping.

[..]

The jury reached a unanimous consensus on count four, which was false reporting to authorities. On the other counts, prosecutors will have to decide whether to proceed with a second trial against Pankey.

Carol McKinley[URL='https://twitter.com/CarolAMcKinley']@CarolAMcKinley[/URL]

BREAKING: Weld Co judge has declared a mistrial in the murder case of Steve Pankey. The jury said he's guilty of false reporting in the 37 year old cold case, but they couldn't agree on the murder or kidnapping charges. 12 yr old Jonelle Matthews' remains were found 2 years ago.

11:21 AM · Nov 4, 2021·

In Colorado, false reporting is a class 2 or 3 misdemeanor, depending upon the seriousness of the crime. perpetrators can receive anywhere from 3-12 months jail time and a $250-$1000 fine.
@DenverGazette

11:26 AM · Nov 4, 2021·

I think that the fact that he had obsessive behaviors before this happened caused doubt as to whether his obsessive interest in the case was due to his involvement in the murder or just his disorder. However, I really think he did it. There were too many factors pointing to his involvement. But, If I were on the jury, I’m not sure I could have found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

If being an obsessive and knowing all the details about a particular murder then I and many others who follow cases will be in the picture, their are many people who insert themselves into cases, befriend families of victims, have case files thicker than LE and know all the exact details of a crime,

I think it was his hobby, as is true crime mine, did I think he often overstepped of course he did, but I think he liked the attention, enjoyed being thought of as being an insider to information and maybe thought he was friends with the cops he spoke to over the years,

I doubt he will make a plea deal to stop a retrial, so I guess it is up to the state to decide if they think a do over will get them a guilty verdict or not,

While jurors did not convict, they also did not acquit. I’m glad LE went after Pankey despite lack of bio evidence. At least JM’s family has her back, knows LE never gave up, the community never forgot, and many came together all these years later in full support of the Matthews family & Jonelle’s memory. I hope that helps them in some way. And I hope new evidence emerges with advanced testing so they can retry if/when the time is right. All moo.

I can understand the hung jury. We are hung here on this thread… difficult case for sure. Imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back