GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snipped from above:

"Pankey said he truly thought it was possible someone with the church may have tried “putting a Hispanic girl in her place” due to things he said were “going on” at the church"...

Was Jonelle Hispanic? She has darker coloring but I wasn't aware of that. I find the above an interesting statement, considering that Pankey strikes me as an injustice collector of the highest order. Given that her friend said that Jonelle reacted weirdly to his car, I wonder if he hadn't tried to be friendly towards her and was rebuffed at some point. Sometimes there's a little bit of truth in every lie with these types.

He is such a scum bag!

Thank you to all here for the updates, I too am surprised there isn't more interest in this case. I have followed it for a while loosely chiefly owing to the Unfound podcast coverage and Ed's extensive interview with Pankey. I know Ed has been commenting on the case in the Unfound Live shows on Wednesday's but I am yet to catch up on these.

What really concerns me here is that I am not seeing any compelling evidence that connects Pankey to Jonelle's murder, other than his own staggeringly strange behaviour and comments. I should add that I worked in mental health for many years and while I never saw such an extreme example of obsessive compulsive disorder, I fully accept that his behaviour can be totally explained by this diagnosis. I know some will find this very hard to believe; whilst the repetitive checking, excessive cleaning, etc type of expressions of OCD are commonly understood, the "thinking patterns", especially the paranoid egocentric thoughts that OCD can produce, are not, in my opinion.

I gather Steve Pankey also has a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, from the 3-4 hour interview and my observations of him in tv clips, yes, 100 %. I also wonder if there was any cannabis use, especially in his teens or later, that may have further contributed to mental deterioration. I also thought that his sexual orientation was probably very predominantly homosexual so an abduction of a young girl really doesn't make sense to me. I think his marriage seems perhaps socially motivated. I caught a clip of his testimony where he stated that he told his wife that intercourse with her was "an act of mercy".
At that point I think every woman on the jury decided to convict him!
I am genuinely asking if anyone here can see what pushed prosecutors over the edge to put him on trial? Frankly, I was surprised that DA Rourke of whom I have previously had a positive impression would be involved with this.
There are great, really strong circumstantial cases and then there are cobbled together houses of cards. I just really want the right person convicted for this awful, awful crime. Pankey deserves punishment in my opinion for the way he has wasted police time, caused further trauma to the family and impeded the investigation. But whilst many guilty people pull the mental health defence as an excuse, I think Pankey is a genuinely complex case of probably multiple disorders.
Many thanks if people can point out what I am missing here.

Monday, November 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 15) (@ 9am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 (thru 11/5/21). Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-12) 10/12/21-10/27/21 reference post #68 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

10/28/21 Thursday, Trial Day 13: Defense witnesses: Firearms instructor & pastor Lance Earl in Idaho testified to giving Pankey gun training around 2019, when he became a person of interest in the case. Greeley Police Detective Robert Cash was called back to the stand, facing further questions about Viorst’s alternate suspect, Norris Drake, who died in 2007. Cash testified he didn’t know Drake’s shoe size, but said he conducted a follow-up investigation into Drake. James Roybal, a retired Greeley police sergeant who interviewed Jonelle’s classmates. Another witness (no name given) testified to a discussion she had with Pankey about his self-published book, “Graveyards,” in which he depicts the murder of a young Greeley woman as the result of nefarious people in the Nazarene Church. Miller highlighted the murder was publicized in the media & that the victim had worked with Pankey’s wife. Blaine County Coroner Russell Mikel. Steven Pankey.
10/29/21 Friday, Trial Day 14: Defense witness: Steven Pankey continues on stand on cross examination by DA Rourke. When given the opportunity to ask questions themselves, some from the jury questioned Pankey on his series of timelines from 1984. Others questioned his knowledge of the case & noted his extreme proximity & connections to both the church where Matthews was last seen & the field where her body was found decades later.
for more info on cross-exam see post #75 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2
The defense rested its case Friday afternoon. Next week, the prosecution will be able to bring any witnesses back to testify in front of the jury before the attorneys make their closing statements & the jury is asked to deliberate. Trial continues on Monday, 11/1/21.

I would struggle to convict in this case, just hasn't reached BARD for me, who knows if he is guilty or not but with the passage of time, the extremely tenuos evidential links the jury has to fit together to make the case for he did it is not enough for me,

he has not helped himself but I think he is on the spectrum and would fit into many diagnoses from Autism to OCD, he is an odd character but that doesn't mean he is a murderer,

I unfortunately think the jury will convict,

Snipped from above:

"Pankey said he truly thought it was possible someone with the church may have tried “putting a Hispanic girl in her place” due to things he said were “going on” at the church"...

Was Jonelle Hispanic? She has darker coloring but I wasn't aware of that. I find the above an interesting statement, considering that Pankey strikes me as an injustice collector of the highest order. Given that her friend said that Jonelle reacted weirdly to his car, I wonder if he hadn't tried to be friendly towards her and was rebuffed at some point. Sometimes there's a little bit of truth in every lie with these types.

RBBM

Yes.

Here is more information:

“My name is Terri Vierra-Martinez,” said a letter they received in the mail. “On February 9th, 1972, I gave birth to a baby girl at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif. A search consultant recently helped me locate the baby I gave up for adoption. After extensive efforts, it was found that her name is Jonelle Matthews. … I hope that your hearts will be open for a possible reunion sometime in the future.”

Colorado Cold Cases: Jonelle Matthews vanished after singing Christmas carols at a nursing home

I don't ever recall Jonelle's ethnicity called into question. I learned for the first time during her mother's testimony that she was adopted.

ETA: from the DP link:

Detectives learned that Jonelle was adopted from a Los Angeles agency when she was 1 month old. Police in Los Angeles watched the birth mother’s house for six weeks in case she had something to do with Jonelle’s disappearance, but later cleared her without contacting the woman who was only 13 when she gave birth to Jonelle.

Colorado Cold Cases: Jonelle Matthews vanished after singing Christmas carols at a nursing home

Tuesday, November 2nd:
*Trial continues (Day 16)-Closing Arguments (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 (thru 11/5/21). Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-14) 10/12/21-10/29/21 reference post #83 here:

11/1/21 Monday, Trial Day 15: Rebuttal witnesses: Weld District Attorney Micheal Rourke introduced Exhibit 123A, the full audio recording of the interview, as evidence while bringing Detective Mike Prill to the stand once more to clarify the accusations never occurred. Pankey testified this past Friday that he suspected a portion of audio from a 2019 in-person interview with two Greeley detectives was edited to hide the alleged aggression of one of the detectives. Prosecutors also played 10 portions of Pankey's jail calls for the court to dispute some of Pankey's testimony regarding these calls. Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns advised the jury these phone calls were introduced for a limited purpose to show Pankey’s state of mind & cannot be used for any other reason. Gary Snyder, was called the the stand by Prosecutor Lacy Wells. Snyder lived next door to Pankey on the 6000 block of 10th Street. Prosecutors then rested their case once again. Closing arguments will begin 8:30am Tuesday morning, 11/2/21.

Last edited:
Thank you to all here for the updates, I too am surprised there isn't more interest in this case. I have followed it for a while loosely chiefly owing to the Unfound podcast coverage and Ed's extensive interview with Pankey. I know Ed has been commenting on the case in the Unfound Live shows on Wednesday's but I am yet to catch up on these.

What really concerns me here is that I am not seeing any compelling evidence that connects Pankey to Jonelle's murder, other than his own staggeringly strange behaviour and comments. I should add that I worked in mental health for many years and while I never saw such an extreme example of obsessive compulsive disorder, I fully accept that his behaviour can be totally explained by this diagnosis. I know some will find this very hard to believe; whilst the repetitive checking, excessive cleaning, etc type of expressions of OCD are commonly understood, the "thinking patterns", especially the paranoid egocentric thoughts that OCD can produce, are not, in my opinion.

I gather Steve Pankey also has a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, from the 3-4 hour interview and my observations of him in tv clips, yes, 100 %. I also wonder if there was any cannabis use, especially in his teens or later, that may have further contributed to mental deterioration. I also thought that his sexual orientation was probably very predominantly homosexual so an abduction of a young girl really doesn't make sense to me. I think his marriage seems perhaps socially motivated. I caught a clip of his testimony where he stated that he told his wife that intercourse with her was "an act of mercy".
I am genuinely asking if anyone here can see what pushed prosecutors over the edge to put him on trial? Frankly, I was surprised that DA Rourke of whom I have previously had a positive impression would be involved with this.
There are great, really strong circumstantial cases and then there are cobbled together houses of cards. I just really want the right person convicted for this awful, awful crime. Pankey deserves punishment in my opinion for the way he has wasted police time, caused further trauma to the family and impeded the investigation. But whilst many guilty people pull the mental health defence as an excuse, I think Pankey is a genuinely complex case of probably multiple disorders.

Ita, most of this case is largely circumstatial, but the tidbits really do add up. I suppose a juror could choose to dismiss testimony of the friend (JM got uncomfortable when seeing Pankey’s car), the ex-wife (unplanned Christmas trip, missing dogs, burned car, obsession with case), and the comment at Pankey’s son’s funeral (I hope this didn’t happen because of JM). But imo a juror can’t ignore the rake. How would he know a rake was used, mid-winter, to erase footprints? Which makes all the other witness testimony that much more compelling. I believe he did it. Unless there’s something I’m missing- or defense hasn’t yet revealed, I’d convict. Jmo

I totally agree. IMO, with what they have, I don't understand why they went forward at this point.

Well, since noon today, it’s in the hands of the jurors…

Steve Pankey is a jerk,” said defense attorney Anthony Viorst, “…a jerk is not the same as a murderer.”

In their closing argument, prosecutors said jurors should look at the case using common sense. From Pankey’s strange behavior around the time Jonelle disappeared to his knowledge of evidence never made public.
Jonelle Matthews Murder: Steve Pankey Trial In Hands Of Weld County Jury

It's a little concerning the jury is taking past today for verdict. I do believe he is guilty. There are to many things that imo incriminate him when added all together

I think Pankey is clever clever clever. I think he enjoyed the attention and inserting himself because he thought he was to clever to be caught/charged...that is, till Jonelle's body was found. I think he felt that that was his only ace he could use for leverage and he no longer felt in control. I know the case is circumstantial and iffy but I think he did it. I think he did it because he saw Ross drop Jonelle off and he hated Ross. I think he hated him so much that Jonelle was collateral damage to a frame up he thought he could manipulate and send Ross off to jail as revenge. I also think the girl in his mind looked like his ex and there may be a part of him that was killing her too. I've been doing some snooping since I saw this case on a yt channel. I hope the right person gets convicted, this young girl has touched my heart. Jmo

NOV 1, updated NOV 2, 2021
Steve Pankey trial Day 14: Prosecutors call rebuttal witnesses, examine recordings; closing arguments set for Tuesday morning – Greeley Tribune
Steve Pankey, the 70-year-old man on trial for the 1984 kidnapping and murder of Jonelle Matthews, testified this past Friday that he suspected a portion of audio from a 2019 in-person interview with two Greeley detectives was edited to hide the alleged aggressions of one of the detectives.

On Monday morning, Weld District Attorney Micheal Rourke introduced Exhibit 123A, the full audio recording of the interview, as evidence while bringing Detective Mike Prill to the stand once more to clarify the accusations never occurred.

[...]

Pankey’s testimony last week claimed Prill was standing close to the suspect when he spit on him and assaulted him in 2019. The full audio of the encounter was not played for the court, but Rourke brought the recording into evidence for the jury to listen to if they wish.

[...]

During the interview, listeners never hear Pankey accuse Prill of spitting on him or of him being unethical, Rourke argued.

[...]

During Pankey’s testimony Friday, Rourke referenced a number of calls he made over the past year while in jail. In their Monday rebuttal, prosecutors played 10 portions of his jail calls for the court.

Jail call No. 1: Pankey said if he testified, the other side would blindside him due to the affidavit being sealed, according to the recorded conversation from Dec. 1, 2020.

On the stand, Prill confirmed the affidavit was unsealed, and he had full disclosure in the investigation against him. Rourke affirmed that Pankey knew this.

[...]

Weld District Judge Timothy Kerns advised the jury these phone calls were introduced for a limited purpose to show Pankey’s state of mind, and cannot be used for any other reason.

[...]

Jail call Nos. 7, 8 and 9: In the audios played for the court, Pankey and his sister talked in code about the guns he owned, referring to them as “the nine” and “the 10.” Last week, Rourke said Barr gave nine guns to Pankey’s attorney and she kept one.

In cross-examination, Viorst questioned if Prill had any evidence that Pankey’s guns were purchased before 2016. Rourke brought up the fact that 13 or 14 guns were discovered in the warranted September 2019 search of Pankey’s home. The court has no way of knowing if Pankey referring to “the nine” or ” the 10” includes the 13 or 14 guns they found in his home, Rourke argued.

In Prill’s testimony last week, he noted one of the guns they saw during the search warrant looked older than the others. Viorst drew attention to the fact that Barr claimed the gun was not fireable in her testimony the week prior.

[...]

For the remainder of Prill’s time on the stand, Rourke asked questions to sort out some of Pankey’s comments during his testimony.

The district attorney argued Pankey name-dropped multiple sources in relation to the investigation, but these names never came up until after the sources were deceased. Since these people were dead, they couldn’t testify to back up or deny Pankey’s claims he made regarding them, Rourke alluded.

[...]

Pankey has also continuously made declarations that he never knew where the Matthews resided. This contradicts Pankey’s previous comments that he knew cops lived near their home, according to Rourke’s direct examination.

In addition, Pankey said he never had a reason to be in the area where she lived. However, the he also stated he had a relative, Kaspar, that lived nearby Jonelle, whom he would visit.

[...]

One other witness, Gary Snyder, was called the the stand by Prosecutor Lacy Wells. Snyder lived next door to Pankey on the 6000 block of 10th Street. In 1975-1976, Snyder testified there was a fire on his property that burnt down his garage that had two cars inside. At the time, Pankey claimed the fire was caused by a lightning strike to a tree, according to his past neighbor.

Snyder said he has no memory of another fire that occurred on the Pankey property in 1984.

Prosecutors then rested their case once again.

Closing arguments in the Pankey trial will begin 8:30 a.m. Tuesday morning.

NOV 2, 2021
Closing arguments in trial of Steve Pankey, man accused of murdering Jonelle Matthews | FOX31 Denver (kdvr.com)
[...]

During closings, the state painted Pankey as a master manipulator while the defense argued he lives in a world of fantasy and paranoia but he’s not a murderer.

“In Steve’s mind, Mr. Pankey’s mind, he lives in a world of conspiracy paranoia and low self-esteem,” said defense attorney Anthony Viorst.

“He’s not someone who has a mental health disorder, he is a master manipulator,” prosecuting attorney Robb Miller said. “This narcissist is saying the state won’t be able to solve Jonelle Matthews’ disappearance without his help.”

[...]

“He said on the way up before he testified he was thinking to himself maybe I shouldn’t testify because I’d just be telling more lies, his words not mine,” said Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke. “If you think he got on the stand for two days and lied to you he’s absolutely guilty.”

[...]

The jury began deliberating around noon Tuesday. At 5 p.m. they were sent home for the day with plans to resume at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

CBS DENVER:

9NEWS:

Wednesday, November 3rd:
*Trial continues (Day 17)-VERDICT WATCH! (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 23, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69/now 70) indicted (10/9/20), arrested & charged (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Plead not guilty. $5M cash-only bond.
Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 11/2/21. Have 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 10/14/21: Judge excuses a juror for inattentive behavior. Now 12 jurors & 2 alternates. Jury selection from 10/7/21 to 10/8/21. Jurors deliberated for ~5 hours on 11/2/21.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 9/30/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-3) 10/6/21-10/8/21 & Trial (Day 1-15) 10/12/21-11/2/21 reference post #85 here:

11/2/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 16: Closing arguments by Assistant DA Robert Miller & DA Michael Rourke & defense attorney Anthony Viorst. Jurors in Weld County were given the case around noon Tuesday. At 5 p.m. they were sent home for the day with plans to resume at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Jury deliberations will continue 11/3/21.

Ita, most of this case is largely circumstatial, but the tidbits really do add up. I suppose a juror could choose to dismiss testimony of the friend (JM got uncomfortable when seeing Pankey’s car), the ex-wife (unplanned Christmas trip, missing dogs, burned car, obsession with case), and the comment at Pankey’s son’s funeral (I hope this didn’t happen because of JM). But imo a juror can’t ignore the rake. How would he know a rake was used, mid-winter, to erase footprints? Which makes all the other witness testimony that much more compelling. I believe he did it. Unless there’s something I’m missing- or defense hasn’t yet revealed, I’d convict. Jmo
I think many people would have known about the rake, it is very hard to keep anything secret with so many people on the initial crime scene, every cop who worked the case knew about the rake, people talk,

I think many people would have known about the rake, it is very hard to keep anything secret with so many people on the initial crime scene, every cop who worked the case knew about the rake, people talk,
Could be. Reports say that detail was kept close to the vest. Press never got wind of the rake until fall 2020. Trial reporting doesn’t reveal questioning around that topic- that I’ve seen. So unless defense brought in LEOs from back in the day, who testify that the rake was widely discussed, I’d believe the secrecy was upheld. No clue what the jurors will decide.

Man Charged With Murder in 1984 Killing of Colorado Girl Taken From Home (Published 2020)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back