Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't put much into polygraphs one way or the other. They are indicators and may help but from personal experience I am skeptic.

I was polygraphed twice (military) by two different people and the indications of a couple questions were wrong.

I don't put much into polygraphs one way or the other. They are indicators and may help but from personal experience I am skeptic.

I was polygraphed twice (military) by two different people and the indications of a couple questions were wrong.

I agree. I am terrible at polygraph tests. It really is a psych test.

Nothing new reported that I am finding beyond September 13 and no arrests yet. I guess the DNA testing could take months ? JMO

I'm not sure how long DNA testing takes in a case like this. Meaning, Jonelle was 30+ years after she went missing, and there may not be usable DNA.

Maybe someone who knows more on the subject of DNA testing can chime in?

That would be appreciated.

I'm not sure how long DNA testing takes in a case like this. Meaning, Jonelle was 30+ years after she went missing, and there may not be usable DNA.

Maybe someone who knows more on the subject of DNA testing can chime in?

That would be appreciated.
That would be good information to have but something led them to the POI - I thought it was something she was buried with or prints found somehow? Otherwise, how did they know to get a search warrant for him - something must have triggered this process - what was it? JMO

That would be good information to have but something led them to the POI - I thought it was something she was buried with or prints found somehow? Otherwise, how did they know to get a search warrant for him - something must have triggered this process - what was it? JMO

IIRC, SP was on LE's radar when Jonelle disappeared. However, I don't know if SP said this, or LE was actually keeping tabs on him.

I'll see what I can find.

ETA: I forgot LE executed a search warrant at his place.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article234982707.html

I’m gonna go with this idiot was already in CODIS and they got a hit. Him bragging he volunteered his DNA is just so obviously self promoting drama that it was likely pointless, if he actually did give them his DNA. If he wanted to make a point with his DNA, all he had to do was an Ancestry DNA test. A genetic genealogist would have found him.

Steve Pankey, person of interest in Colorado murder cold case, claims he's being framed by police

October 5, 2019

"BOISE, Idaho — Former Idaho gubernatorial candidate Steve Pankey is again claiming he's innocent. Pankey is a person of interest in a cold case homicide out of Colorado, according to Greeley Police....

Pankey sat down with KTVB in September and laid out everything he remembered about the case, and how he got involved. On Saturday, he sent a statement to KTVB to reiterate he’s innocent and wanting to clear his name...."

Steve Pankey, person of interest in Colorado murder cold case, claims he's being framed by police

October 5, 2019

"BOISE, Idaho — Former Idaho gubernatorial candidate Steve Pankey is again claiming he's innocent. Pankey is a person of interest in a cold case homicide out of Colorado, according to Greeley Police....

Pankey sat down with KTVB in September and laid out everything he remembered about the case, and how he got involved. On Saturday, he sent a statement to KTVB to reiterate he’s innocent and wanting to clear his name...."

“(Now defunct) White Nationalist cult Sunny View Church of The Nazarene member Russ Ross and his daughter were the last known people to see Jonelle enter her home. Russ had special, specific knowledge that Jonelle was to be home alone for a specific period of time. Russ Ross was Steve Pankey’s abusive supervisor at Greeley 7UP.

Major John Gates parents used to own Greeley 7UP. “

Interesting how people are linked together.

Pankey claims he's innocent, and in his statement, he said he believes police are manipulating evidence to make him look guilty. One example he said is the probable cause affidavit for police to search his Twin Falls home.

"It states that I am associated with that property that she was found on where they're doing the gas drilling and gas digging near Lasalle and that is a blatant lie,” he said. “I don't think they have a really good suspect, and I'm somebody they don't like so I think that's it.”

Police searched his home in Twin Falls last month. Pankey told KTVB police took several items, including electronics and paperwork.

Pankey said the police took a DVD from him. That DVD was his son's memorial, his son was murdered in Phoenix, Arizona in 2008.

“My son told me that Detective Prill had said to him that he was told, Prill was told that at my son's memorial service I stood over the ashes and the urn,” he said. “And stated something about I hope this didn't happen because of Jonelle Matthews.”

That thought never crossed his mind, and those words never came out of his mouth, he said.

BBM. Interesting pieces of the puzzle. MOO.

SP is all over the planet with his comments, and he seems to be at odds with everyone.

Good grief.

Hoping for an arrest soon.

Me too. It's really bizarre. The more he says in an effort to assert his innocence the more guilty he looks. He tries to assert that everyone else is against him and everyone concocted some big conspiracy to frame him. Why are none of his friends and family giving interviews to vouch for his character? Could it be because he has destroyed every relationship he has ever had? I'd like to hear the story of what happened in Dec 1984 from his ex-wife, ex-father-in-law and son. I bet the police interviews with SP are extremely interesting reading too. MOO.

ETA: Do we have any verified psychiatrists or mental health professionals following along here? I'd love to read a professional's opinion on SP from watching his interviews.

Me too. It's really bizarre. The more he says in an effort to assert his innocence the more guilty he looks. He tries to assert that everyone else is against him and everyone concocted some big conspiracy to frame him. Why are none of his friends and family giving interviews to vouch for his character? Could it be because he has destroyed every relationship he has ever had? I'd like to hear the story of what happened in Dec 1984 from his ex-wife, ex-father-in-law and son. I bet the police interviews with SP are extremely interesting reading too. MOO.

ETA: Do we have any verified psychiatrists or mental health professionals following along here? I'd love to read a professional's opinion on SP from watching his interviews.
I'm honestly 50/50 on whether he's attention seeking or guilty and trying to get his defence in first.

A view from a mental health professional would be good, not sure statement analysis would cover this.

Wow. This case just keeps getting wilder. Would an innocent man really go out of his way to stir up more media interest when things start to die down? Killer or not, this guy is definitely a narcissist with a very tenuous relationship to reality.

I find it very interesting that, in this latest statement, SP refers to JM as "Hispanic 12 year old Jonelle Matthews" and then calls the church, where he was a youth pastor "(Now defunct) White Nationalist cult Sunny View Church of The Nazarene". This is the first time we have heard this characterization of this church, and I can find no corroborating claims of any sort anywhere. Would adoptive parents of a Latina girl really join a white nationalist cult? Would they even be allowed through the doors with their adopted child? Most of all, does SP not realize that in trying to implicate church members in the murder by assigning them racist motives, he continues to implicate himself...because he was a damn pastor there!?

I am again nonplussed with the reporters for not doing any digging whatsoever or even asking SP for specific details of his son's alleged shooting murder by a girlfriend. I truly don't think it happened. Total speculation and MOO I think the son died of a drug overdose or suicide or something SP's bizarro self-image didn't approve of, so he made up a narrative that better fit his worldview and that he could use to promote his political stances. I totally could be wrong. However, when someone is killed in a shooting murder in the 21st century, there is some public printed or digital documentation of the proceedings somewhere. Suicide? Overdose? Now that might be private and kept quiet.

Wow. This case just keeps getting wilder. Would an innocent man really go out of his way to stir up more media interest when things start to die down? Killer or not, this guy is definitely a narcissist with a very tenuous relationship to reality.

I find it very interesting that, in this latest statement, SP refers to JM as "Hispanic 12 year old Jonelle Matthews" and then calls the church, where he was a youth pastor "(Now defunct) White Nationalist cult Sunny View Church of The Nazarene". This is the first time we have heard this characterization of this church, and I can find no corroborating claims of any sort anywhere. Would adoptive parents of a Latina girl really join a white nationalist cult? Would they even be allowed through the doors with their adopted child? Most of all, does SP not realize that in trying to implicate church members in the murder by assigning them racist motives, he continues to implicate himself...because he was a damn pastor there!?

I am again nonplussed with the reporters for not doing any digging whatsoever or even asking SP for specific details of his son's alleged shooting murder by a girlfriend. I truly don't think it happened. Total speculation and MOO I think the son died of a drug overdose or suicide or something SP's bizarro self-image didn't approve of, so he made up a narrative that better fit his worldview and that he could use to promote his political stances. I totally could be wrong. However, when someone is killed in a shooting murder in the 21st century, there is some public printed or digital documentation of the proceedings somewhere. Suicide? Overdose? Now that might be private and kept quiet.
I didn’t even know that Jonelle was Hispanic. Most missing persons agencies list her as Caucasian

I didn’t even know that Jonelle was Hispanic. Most missing persons agencies list her as Caucasian

I'm glad you brought that up. SP is the only person I can find who has ever called JM Hispanic. He is technically correct that her biological mother has a Hispanic-sounding last name. But I have no idea if that means she is actually Hispanic. Last names are obtained in many ways and don't always match the person's genetic background. Nor should her race matter at this point because JM has been found and identified. SP seems to be the only one wanting to make this a case about race/ethnicity. MOO.

I'm glad you brought that up. SP is the only person I can find who has ever called JM Hispanic. He is technically correct that her biological mother has a Hispanic-sounding last name. But I have no idea if that means she is actually Hispanic. Last names are obtained in many ways and don't always match the person's genetic background. Nor should her race matter at this point because JM has been found and identified. SP seems to be the only one wanting to make this a case about race/ethnicity. MOO.
Exactly. I honestly think all the excuses, accusations, and him trying to make himself sound “gay” and saying that he’s been gay his whole life makes it seem like he’s trying to cover the fact he may have been attracted to young females such as Jonelle. He clearly has something to hide and I’m hoping he confesses or evidence is found.

Exactly. I honestly think all the excuses, accusations, and him trying to make himself sound “gay” and saying that he’s been gay his whole life makes it seem like he’s trying to cover the fact he may have been attracted to young females such as Jonelle. He clearly has something to hide and I’m hoping he confesses or evidence is found.
I agree - he's hiding something and using a lot of distraction IMO to keep it hidden JMO

Well. Wondering now if her being Latina had anything to do with her demise? Why would he even mention it if it weren’t relevant? MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman