Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. Wondering now if her being Latina had anything to do with her demise? Why would he even mention it if it weren’t relevant? MOO

I'm not sure how it could have anything to do with her death since she and her adopted parents did not know her birth mother's name or background until over a decade after JM went missing. How would anyone in the community even know she had Hispanic roots? Maybe I'm just bad at guessing someone's race/ethnicity but when I look at their family photo I wouldn't guess her as being any different race from her parents. I actually think she favors her mom even knowing that there is not a genetic connection:

Jonelle-Matthews-family-photo.jpg

After haunting Colorado for three decades, there is new hope in the Jonelle Matthews case

IMHO for Steve Pankey to look at JM and see her as a little "Hispanic girl", rather than seeing a missing/murdered girl (with no racial identifier needed), shows HIS extreme racial prejudice and desire to use racial tensions as a way to push his personal agenda. Every missing poster, every missing file on record for Jonelle always called her white. And I believe that is how her family and her community saw her race (if they were ever asked and I doubt it was important to them-- she was their child, regardless). She was being raised as an accepted member of her community-- not as an outsider as he is trying to make her by suddenly declaring she was Hispanic and that race was someone's motive to harm her. The motive being race as SP is trying to assert in his interviews seems impossible to me if no one considered her to be Hispanic.

MOO.

If you want to access an article on the Tribune, let it load and then turn your phone to airplane mode before the popup about subscriptions appears. You'll be able to access the entire article.

@dblsj : Used your method of disconnecting from the Internet before the pop-up window, and it worked on my laptop.

Thanks for that.

Frustrated with the lack of updates, but... after 34 years, we can wait a little longer for JUSTICE FOR JONELLE.

One good thing about the quiet. SP got a big hit of attention and as we saw from his last interview, he's addicted to being in the spotlight. I bet he can't stand being ignored and opens his big mouth again. I bet Greeley investigators realize that too.

Frustrated with the lack of updates, but... after 34 years, we can wait a little longer for JUSTICE FOR JONELLE.

One good thing about the quiet. SP got a big hit of attention and as we saw from his last interview, he's addicted to being in the spotlight. I bet he can't stand being ignored and opens his big mouth again. I bet Greeley investigators realize that too.
LE wants him to talk, all kinds of clues come spilling out of his mouth. Like him saying he peeked out his front window that night to see the depth of the snow and noticed LE shining headlights in his direction. He didn't give a rip about the depth of the snow per se, he just wanted to see if his footprints and tire tracks had been covered in snow yet....... JMO. Yup, he thinks he is brilliant, just like all criminals do.

Missing children: 8 Colorado kids who vanished without a trace
Sept. 18, 2019

“She vanished 34 years ago. Now, police have a body and big question: 'Who killed Jonelle?'
Jonelle Matthews disappeared just before Christmas in 1984. Now, with the recent discovery of her remains, her parents hold out for justice.”

——

For 34 years, Colorado asked 'Where is Jonelle Matthews?' Now, it's 'Who killed her?'
Sep. 18, 2019

impatient1.gif

Just so I have my notes right - it is in Weld County, right? TIA! :)

Yes.

Remains of Jonelle Matthews discovered in rural Weld almost 35 years after her disappearance in Greeley | GreeleyTribune.com
July 2015, 2019

For reference:

“Greeley is the home rule municipality that is the county seat and the most populous municipality of Weld County, Colorado, United States. Greeley is in northern Colorado and is situated 49 miles north-northeast of the Colorado State Capitol in Denver.” Wikipedia

Last edited:
<modsnip>

Is there any truth that the chief’s parents owned the business that SP won a lawsuit against? It is obvious SP is shady however this shadiness would make him a perfect person to blame the crime on.

Information seems to be withheld from the public. I’m curious if others who live there have any information that the rest of us do not have privy to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any truth that the chief’s parents owned the business that SP won a lawsuit against? It is obvious SP is shady however this shadiness would make him a perfect person to blame the crime on.

I spent many years in Greeley and do know that in May of 1982, Pankey filed a lawsuit against a 7-Up bottling company re: unfair labor practices (haven’t yet been able to link to the chief yet, but I’m working on it). I will also reach out to my dad because I remember discussing this case many years ago with him and he had some interesting insights. Obviously it would all be speculation, but may provide a starting point for more research.

Decisions and Orders of the National Labor Relations Board

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I spent many years in Greeley and do know that in May of 1982, Pankey filed a lawsuit against a 7-Up bottling company re: unfair labor practices (haven’t yet been able to link to the chief yet, but I’m working on it). I will also reach out to my dad because I remember discussing this case many years ago with him and he had some interesting insights. Obviously it would all be speculation, but may provide a starting point for more research.

Decisions and Orders of the National Labor Relations Board

That's interesting. I know this lawsuit was alluded to by SP, but I wasn't sure if this was true or not.

I'd love to hear your Dad's opinions on it!

JMVHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Alnutt Funeral Memorial Obituary Gid Gates owned the 7up bottling company in Greeley. This is the father of John Gates...the third detective to arrive at the Matthews home the night of Jonelle Matthews disappearance. He is now the Mayor of Greeley.

The last adult to see Jonelle before she disappeared was Russel Ross, who was a family friend of the Matthews according to the Greeley Tribune, and the former supervisor of Steve Pankey at the 7up Bottling Co. Steve Pankey sued the bottling company naming Ross in the suit and was awarded damages. You can read the details online as they are public. Ross and Pankey also attended the same church.

Last edited:
According to Alnutt Funeral Memorial Obituary Gid Gates owned the 7up bottling company in Greeley. This is the father of John Gates...the third detective to arrive at the Matthews home the night of Jonelle Matthews disappearance. He is now the Mayor of Greeley.

The last adult to see Jonelle before she disappeared was Russel Ross, who was a family friend of the Matthews according to the Greeley Tribune, and the former supervisor of Steve Pankey at the 7up Bottling Co. Steve Pankey sued the bottling company naming Ross in the suit and was awarded damages. You can read the details online as they are public. Ross and Pankey also attended the same church.
Welcome!

This is the article that mentions that history.

Steve Pankey, person of interest in Colorado murder cold case, claims he's being framed by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman