Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been named a suspect in MSM. But I'm not sure what to think. The whole Steve Pankey thing is confusing.

Greeley police and local FBI agents immediately zeroed in on Jim Matthews as the primary suspect in Jonelle’s disappearance. So much so the following morning, when it was time for Jennifer to go to school, police dropped her off at Greeley Central.

“Being a suspect early on, I knew what they were doing and I respected it,” Jim said of the early phase of the investigation. “A lot of times it is a parent, whether it’s a custodial situation or worse, so for many months after it happened I was number one.”

Jim coped with the pressure of being constantly scrutinized by law enforcement by telling himself they were just doing their jobs. In hindsight, he said his coping skills were probably too convincing.

“I was calm about the whole thing, which must have been a red flag,” Jim said. “But the way I saw it was I’m going to cooperate because I want my daughter back.”

Jim was at the top of the suspect list for more than six months. During that time, he took a polygraph test with FBI agents. Jim’s patience finally wore thin when about a month after that, Greeley police called him asking him to take another lie detector test at the department.

Jonelle Matthews disappearance anniversary: Timeline of events | GreeleyTribune.com
While it’s evident that he was a suspect in Jonelles disappearance, I’m not sure. I mostly think she was taken by persons unknown and killed. I don’t see why her father would be suspected.

35 years ago there were several suspects. The ONLY LE POI at the present time is Steve Pankey.

For 34 years, Colorado asked 'Where is Jonelle Matthews?' Now, it's 'Who killed her?'

He's been named a suspect in MSM. But I'm not sure what to think. The whole Steve Pankey thing is confusing.

Greeley police and local FBI agents immediately zeroed in on Jim Matthews as the primary suspect in Jonelle’s disappearance. So much so the following morning, when it was time for Jennifer to go to school, police dropped her off at Greeley Central.

“Being a suspect early on, I knew what they were doing and I respected it,” Jim said of the early phase of the investigation. “A lot of times it is a parent, whether it’s a custodial situation or worse, so for many months after it happened I was number one.”

Jim coped with the pressure of being constantly scrutinized by law enforcement by telling himself they were just doing their jobs. In hindsight, he said his coping skills were probably too convincing.

“I was calm about the whole thing, which must have been a red flag,” Jim said. “But the way I saw it was I’m going to cooperate because I want my daughter back.”

Jim was at the top of the suspect list for more than six months. During that time, he took a polygraph test with FBI agents. Jim’s patience finally wore thin when about a month after that, Greeley police called him asking him to take another lie detector test at the department.

Jonelle Matthews disappearance anniversary: Timeline of events | GreeleyTribune.com

Interesting tidbit from Gloria. She said Jonelle was feeling sick the last couple of days before going missing but was at school and went to her concert. When she wanted to go to the basketball game after, Gloria said no you need to go home to get rest and be warm. I assume this was organized before since she was at the Denver airport at that time? She also said she regrets not having Jim pick her up from the concert and take her to the game. Jennifer’s basketball game was only 8 minutes away from their home. How did Jim get home at 9:30? Unless things were different almost all girls varsity games start at 6:30 because the guys play after them. Even if not, they never start later than 7pm. Games last about an hour in HS.

Interesting tidbit from Gloria. She said Jonelle was feeling sick the last couple of days before going missing but was at school and went to her concert. When she wanted to go to the basketball game after, Gloria said no you need to go home to get rest and be warm. I assume this was organized before since she was at the Denver airport at that time? She also said she regrets not having Jim pick her up from the concert and take her to the game. Jennifer’s basketball game was only 8 minutes away from their home. How did Jim get home at 9:30? Unless things were different almost all girls varsity games start at 6:30 because the guys play after them. Even if not, they never start later than 7pm. Games last about an hour in HS.

Interesting.

Everyone deals with things differently. I’ve found that out in my time covering cases but holy I have never heard a sibling talk and have the same mannerisms as Jennifer. Jennifer talking about when she got home that night. “My dad asked if I knew where my sister was and I said no. We didn’t really talk that much anyways. My sister and I had a sibling rivalry, especially that night as well.”

“She wouldn’t run away before Christmas because she was dramatic, would have written a note, and wanted her Christmas gifts under the tree.”

“Police were in our house, fingerprinting in my room, and I just wanted to go to sleep and keep my life as normal as possible. “

“She was hard to get along with and stuff like that”

Did you hold out hope she was ever alive? “I don’t want to say minuscule, but there was just a little bit”

What do you have to say to the person who did it who’s still out there? -She completely has no idea what to say here (and I think by now you know my take as to why). “Ummm you’re the first one to ask me that. Ummm I don’t, I just don’t know. Like uh um why, ummm I don’t have rage or anything like that. Maybe some forgiveness, I don’t know. Sympathy.” Then laughs asking if that was weird of her to say sympathy.

“She was opinionated. Her way or the highways and a force to be reckoned with”

I pieced some different interviews together but these mostly came from the intro and then the episode of her and the family on Lea Unleashed podcast.
Provide a link, please? Having looked at "Lea Unleashed" website, there's no mention that I can find of her covering this case, although her website seems not to have been updated since October so a podcast link would be much appreciated! We may have to ask the mods if her site is allowed to be discussed--she seems like a bit of a loose cannon (conspiracy theories about almond milk, anyone?) Also, you are local? You mentioned something about "covering cases"? Can you tell us more about that? In what capacity you have covered cases and which ones?

Why two tests? First one inconclusive? Why call friends before 911? I will never understand this John/Patsy Ramsey ideal. MOO

Provide a link, please? Having looked at "Lea Unleashed" website, there's no mention that I can find of her covering this case, although her website seems not to have been updated since October so a podcast link would be much appreciated! We may have to ask the mods if her site is allowed to be discussed--she seems like a bit of a loose cannon (conspiracy theories about almond milk, anyone?) Also, you are local? You mentioned something about "covering cases"? Can you tell us more about that? In what capacity you have covered cases and which ones?

It is on Spotify (I have premium but not sure if that matters). You can search her podcast and find them. I’m not saying she is great or credible but the family talks in their own words on there. I am not local to Colorado.

Why two tests? First one inconclusive? Why call friends before 911? I will never understand this John/Patsy Ramsey ideal. MOO

I don’t think calling a friend first is strange at all. I would imagine you are thinking the worst but trying to talk yourself out of it. A friend, someone who knows you well, someone you trust, you would hope would be able to calm your fears and reassure you that everything is okay. Or, on the flip side, the friend would tell you to call the police. Faced with a scary and new experience it would be hard to know what to do.

And the polygraph, not admissible in court for a good reason. The results don’t prove or disprove a thing.

I don’t think the timeline works for Jim to have done it anyways. He would have had to leave the garage door open when he left (which would make it premeditated), walk around the house and peek in the windows of his own home in order to leave footprints in the snow (again, premeditation), come home from Jennifer’s game, take Jonelle from the home and kill her (police have never stated she was killed in the home, not that they have to release that info., of course), drive 20ish mikes away in the cold with snow on the ground, dig a hole (or have it pre-dug if you believe he planned it), bury her, cover her up, drive home, clean up as I would imagine would be needed after committing such a horrendous crime, and have all of this done by the time Jennifer returned home an hour or so after Jim did.

I just can’t see it at all.

I don’t think calling a friend first is strange at all. I would imagine you are thinking the worst but trying to talk yourself out of it. A friend, someone who knows you well, someone you trust, you would hope would be able to calm your fears and reassure you that everything is okay. Or, on the flip side, the friend would tell you to call the police. Faced with a scary and new experience it would be hard to know what to do.

And the polygraph, not admissible in court for a good reason. The results don’t prove or disprove a thing.

I don’t think the timeline works for Jim to have done it anyways. He would have had to leave the garage door open when he left (which would make it premeditated), walk around the house and peek in the windows of his own home in order to leave footprints in the snow (again, premeditation), come home from Jennifer’s game, take Jonelle from the home and kill her (police have never stated she was killed in the home, not that they have to release that info., of course), drive 20ish mikes away in the cold with snow on the ground, dig a hole (or have it pre-dug if you believe he planned it), bury her, cover her up, drive home, clean up as I would imagine would be needed after committing such a horrendous crime, and have all of this done by the time Jennifer returned home an hour or so after Jim did.

I just asked why two, did not need the education on lie detector admissibility. Your opinion about calling friends first differs from mine. My child is missing? I’m calling LE. But hey, we all think differently. MOO

I just asked why two, did not need the education on lie detector admissibility. Your opinion about calling friends first differs from mine. My child is missing? I’m calling LE. But hey, we all think differently. MOO

I wasn’t trying to “educate” you. Just contributing to the discussion.

Discussions are what we do here. No need to attack me. Geesh. Also, since Websluths is victim friendly I am giving Jonelle’s father the courtesy and kindness that he deserves.

I agree IF that is the correct timeline. But you don’t find it odd that you would wait over 30 minutes to call anyone when it is freezing temps outside, garage door open, and you have a sick 12 year old girl who was home alone for 1.5 hours and notice that she isn’t home? Or would you also wrap some presents first? I think the first thing any normal person would do is call the person who dropped her off to confirm.

I wasn’t trying to “educate” you. Just contributing to the discussion.

Discussions are what we do here. No need to attack me. Geesh. Also, since Websluths is victim friendly I am giving Jonelle’s father the courtesy and kindness that he deserves.
No attacking. Just wasn’t what I had asked, but ty for clarifying. Everyone’s a suspect until her murderer is found. IMO

I agree IF that is the correct timeline. But you don’t find it odd that you would wait over 30 minutes to call anyone when it is freezing temps outside, garage door open, and you have a sick 12 year old girl who was home alone for 1.5 hours and notice that she isn’t home? Or would you also wrap some presents first? I think the first thing any normal person would do is call the person who dropped her off to confirm.
I don’t find the Dads delay in calling alarming. I think back then, parents minds didn’t immediately jump to bad things happening to their child. Compared to today at least. Stepping back now and putting all the oddities / clues together then, maybe he could have had a higher degree of urgency. I know my kids Dad was easily distracted. So it wouldn’t have immediately occurred to him to search the house. Probably once this Dad realized how much time had passed, he hustled to find her. I think it’s more normal back then to pick up a house phone, call to see if she was dropped off, then went to a friends place instead.

*If* the timeline is correct. Good point, we don’t know if it is or isn’t.

I am a very overprotective parent, so yes, I find it very strange. But looking at this from a different lens, I grew up in the 80’s and am just a couple of years younger than Jonelle. I was allowed to come and go as I pleased. My parents would not have been worried in the slightest. They would have assumed I was at a friends. As far as being sick goes, I remember a few times where I stayed home sick from school and by the time the evening rolled around if I was feeling better I was allowed to go play, ride my bike, or go to a friends.

I can absolutely see my parents calling a friend before calling the police. I just sent my mom a text and she said she would have assumed I was with a friend, just like every single other time I wasn’t home. She said that back then parents didn’t have to assume the worst like we tend to now.

My parents were very relaxed. I am over the top opposite, but growing up the way I did I can understand why Jim did what he did.

As far as wrapping presents goes, no I don’t think I would. But, I guess if we go with the premise that Jim wasn’t as concerned as you or I would be then maybe he was just trying to give her a bit of time to get home. He was probably trying to convince himself everything was okay and wrapping presents would be a good distraction.

As far as Jonelle being sick goes, I would imagine that wasn’t a big deal as far as her not being home goes. If she was well enough to go to school and well enough to perform in a concert after school I wouldn’t be too worried about the sick angle.

In the 80’s, I was home by myself all the time from as early as third grade. Same with most of my friends too.

Absolutely I would call the friend’s dad who gave her a ride home to see where she was. Immediately! But, here’s the thing, according to the Crime Junkie podcast released this week, Jonelle’s ride home wasn’t prearranged. So, Jim wouldn’t have known who took her home so how would he have called?

I can’t imagine not having a ride prearranged. No way! But, again, looking at this through the lens of how my parents would have done things, they would have left it up to me to arrange my own ride home. They would have known I had friends at the concert, maybe even friends who lived in the same neighborhood. I’m sure Jim and Jonelle had the conversation that he wasn’t going to be able to pick her up and she needed to find a ride home. Come to think of it, of course they had that conversation, because if they didn’t, Jonelle would have expected her dad to pick her up.

I totally understand people saying they wouldn’t have done things the way Jim did. I wouldn’t have either. I feel very bad for him. I’m sure he regrets that he didn’t do things differently.

No attacking. Just wasn’t what I had asked, but ty for clarifying. Everyone’s a suspect until her murderer is found. IMO

Understood. I reread your original post and see that I went off on a tangent. I have been thinking about Jonelle a lot which is why I have so many thoughts swirling around in my brain.

*If* the timeline is correct. Good point, we don’t know if it is or isn’t.

I am a very overprotective parent, so yes, I find it very strange. But looking at this from a different lens, I grew up in the 80’s and am just a couple of years younger than Jonelle. I was allowed to come and go as I pleased. My parents would not have been worried in the slightest. They would have assumed I was at a friends. As far as being sick goes, I remember a few times where I stayed home sick from school and by the time the evening rolled around if I was feeling better I was allowed to go play, ride my bike, or go to a friends.

I can absolutely see my parents calling a friend before calling the police. I just sent my mom a text and she said she would have assumed I was with a friend, just like every single other time I wasn’t home. She said that back then parents didn’t have to assume the worst like we tend to now.

My parents were very relaxed. I am over the top opposite, but growing up the way I did I can understand why Jim did what he did.

As far as wrapping presents goes, no I don’t think I would. But, I guess if we go with the premise that Jim wasn’t as concerned as you or I would be then maybe he was just trying to give her a bit of time to get home. He was probably trying to convince himself everything was okay and wrapping presents would be a good distraction.

As far as Jonelle being sick goes, I would imagine that wasn’t a big deal as far as her not being home goes. If she was well enough to go to school and well enough to perform in a concert after school I wouldn’t be too worried about the sick angle.

In the 80’s, I was home by myself all the time from as early as third grade. Same with most of my friends too.

Absolutely I would call the friend’s dad who gave her a ride home to see where she was. Immediately! But, here’s the thing, according to the Crime Junkie podcast released this week, Jonelle’s ride home wasn’t prearranged. So, Jim wouldn’t have known who took her home so how would he have called?

I can’t imagine not having a ride prearranged. No way! But, again, looking at this through the lens of how my parents would have done things, they would have left it up to me to arrange my own ride home. They would have known I had friends at the concert, maybe even friends who lived in the same neighborhood. I’m sure Jim and Jonelle had the conversation that he wasn’t going to be able to pick her up and she needed to find a ride home. Come to think of it, of course they had that conversation, because if they didn’t, Jonelle would have expected her dad to pick her up.

I totally understand people saying they wouldn’t have done things the way Jim did. I wouldn’t have either. I feel very bad for him. I’m sure he regrets that he didn’t do things differently.

I think a few key things we can’t overlook.

Jim knew she was at home at some point around 830 and didn’t have her shoes etc. She doesn’t have a car obviously and it was 10 degrees and dark out. No friends next door. She was also advised to be at home after her concert since she was told she couldn’t go to the basketball game. He said both his kids would have left a note.

I get that he wouldn’t walk in and call the police within 5 minutes, but I find it strange for how he waited that long to even worry about her.

That we are aware of - No fingerprints. No blood. No forced entry. Hell of a clean abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503