Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty scary how he ran for governor twice, then for sheriff.

Precisely what was he doing with a 12 year-old girl? Pervert.

He belongs in jail.

RIP Jonelle
Ita! Gov, sheriff & active in church & other organizations involving youth. Wolf in sheep’s clothing & massive attention seeker. Likes the limelight & positions of power. Dangerous.

Not sure if anyone other than his ex heard the comment at his son’s funeral. Indictment only mentions that detail from her testimony alone. The church members have credibility though, imo. Indictment says several people had to remove him from the church for his outburst regarding JM. I can’t imagine anyone from that church not remembering that scene given the high-profile nature of the case back then. If Pankey has “more to offer”, I can’t imagine it’s worth much more than a sentence reduction- which at his age, won’t mean anything. Jonelle’s family has their daughter back and has given her a proper burial. Unless they want details of how it all went down, there’s nothing else he can provide, imo. UT is a DP state. Given Pankey’s statements on all his various websites, he may prefer DP for all the appeals, attention, and interactions with the court system.
Imo, he’ll die in prison either way- if convicted.
Utah | Death Penalty Information Center
He indicated in the past that he has a real fear of facing execution. He probably has a whole plan for being a prison celebrity worked out, realistic or otherwise. He's basically been challenging law enforcement to arrest him since the beginning when he offered up his DNA. I'm guessing that if he is the perp, he knew his DNA was not at the crime scene. In 1984 he probably considered himself a master criminal to even be aware that DNA was a thing.

Pretty scary how he ran for governor twice, then for sheriff.

Precisely what was he doing with a 12 year-old girl? Pervert.

He belongs in jail.

RIP Jonelle
Murdering her, I guess? I have to say that I'm unironically also still puzzled as to Pankey's motive. In the decades of scrutiny since, it doesn't seem that he's showed any interest in young girls.

He indicated in the past that he has a real fear of facing execution. He probably has a whole plan for being a prison celebrity worked out, realistic or otherwise. He's basically been challenging law enforcement to arrest him since the beginning when he offered up his DNA. I'm guessing that if he is the perp, he knew his DNA was not at the crime scene. In 1984 he probably considered himself a master criminal to even be aware that DNA was a thing.

Murdering her, I guess? I have to say that I'm unironically also still puzzled as to Pankey's motive. In the decades of scrutiny since, it doesn't seem that he's showed any interest in young girls.
Ita he’s been taunting LE for a looong time. Could you please post the link about him fearing execution? Perhaps it provides other clues to what he’s thinking/ planning. Curious to read! Tia!

Ita he’s been taunting LE for a looong time. Could you please post the link about him fearing execution? Perhaps it provides other clues to what he’s thinking/ planning. Curious to read! Tia!
It's referred to in item 13 of the indictment. I'm sure I've read it referenced before but I'm having trouble finding it now it's amazing how fresh news can really push old news a hundred pages down on search results. If the specific pleading could be located it might be more enlightening. It seemed as if he was looking for a deal that would take the death penalty off the table in the news articles from back then. @Fred Jones would probably have more info on it he seemed to have quite a file built up.

Last night I thought @Fred Jones was just shilling a podcast but today I must say this is by far the most illuminating info I've seen on Pankey. This all really paints a picture of a weird character who sticks his nose into all kinds of business including criminal investigation which, combined with his local and frivolous litigiousness makes it easy to see why law enforcement would have a dislike for him as he claims.

Someone who constantly stirs up this much crap around him for his whole life would almost certainly have left some additional circumstantial evidence if he was the type of person who would go after 12 year old girls. Looking at all this, he seems to me much more the type of person who gets murdered than a murderer. I would however say that the actual killer has benefited greatly from the smoke screen of Pankey's "no such thing as bad publicity" media presence but it seems much more likely his motives are pure egotism than intentionally interfering with the investigation.

Of course that's assuming that Pankey himself didn't buy the "final cut" of all this info with the not-anonymous contribution disclosed in the first post. He himself might even be Fred here. If so, hi Steve.

The unfortunate murder of Jonelle notwithstanding - Pankey sure takes after his old man. Perhaps he wanted infamy.

Attachments

• ThePomonaProgressBulletin-CA-Mar-15-1956.jpg
    ThePomonaProgressBulletin-CA-Mar-15-1956.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 70
He may not have harmed any child after Jonelle but I have no doubt he, at a minimum, attempted to hurt other children prior to her. I think as this progresses, others will come forward. LE may already be aware of some but may be keeping that quiet for now.

Maybe not in the last decades but in The Greeley Tribune there is a story that he did have interactions with children. Apparently a family took him in and he tried to sexually assault their daughter when she was a teen.
Records show Pankey was accused of previous violent interactions with children, traded several accusations of harassment in 1984

Maybe not in the last decades but in The Greeley Tribune there is a story that he did have interactions with children. Apparently a family took him in and he tried to sexually assault their daughter when she was a teen.
Records show Pankey was accused of previous violent interactions with children, traded several accusations of harassment in 1984
You called it @PayrollNerd

Reposting the Search Warrant executed at his condo in 2019, from my Google drive.

SP_Warrant_JM.pdf

I am extremely curious if LE is digging at the site of his 1984 residence in Greeley.

JMVHO.

Here is paragraph in a previous newspaper article.
This occurred before Jonelle remains were located.

Pankey once lived in a home off West 10th Street in Greeley. The current tenant of that home tells FOX31, four to five months ago detectives started visiting it and asked questions about the septic system. The tenant also said investigators dug up three areas on the front lawn.

Pankey once lived in a home off West 10th Street in Greeley. The current tenant of that home tells FOX31, four to five months ago detectives started visiting it and asked questions about the septic system. The tenant also said investigators dug up three areas on the front lawn.

Sorry for bold text, first couple times posting, learning curve

Records show Pankey was accused of previous violent interactions with children, traded several accusations of harassment in 1984 – Greeley Tribune

Interesting. This article has a lot of information about Pankey's behavior at the actual time of Jonelle's disappearance. It seems like most of what I've read has been about his shenanigans since then which may have been to serve as a smoke screen. I wonder if he had been using drugs and Jonelle's murder was a transformative moment where he decided to stop or at least cut back. It seems like there was a distinct change in is behavior beginning in 1985. I hope that girl who wrote that he had attempted to rape her testifies at his trial - if it goes to trial.

Thanks for posting this.

Records show Pankey was accused of previous violent interactions with children, traded several accusations of harassment in 1984 – Greeley Tribune

Interesting. This article has a lot of information about Pankey's behavior at the actual time of Jonelle's disappearance. It seems like most of what I've read has been about his shenanigans since then which may have been to serve as a smoke screen. I wonder if he had been using drugs and Jonelle's murder was a transformative moment where he decided to stop or at least cut back. It seems like there was a distinct change in is behavior beginning in 1985. I hope that girl who wrote that he had attempted to rape her testifies at his trial - if it goes to trial.
That is interesting info. Sounds like Pankey had at least 3 hostile & escalating incidents with Ross, the dad that drove JM home after her Christmas concert the night she was murdered. Maybe Pankey hoped Ross would be arrested & imprisoned for the crime as an act of revenge. I don’t think Pankey changed after ‘85 though. He seems to have issues with anyone who disregards his perceived authority or power.

That is interesting info. Sounds like Pankey had at least 3 hostile & escalating incidents with Ross, the dad that drove JM home after her Christmas concert the night she was murdered. Maybe Pankey hoped Ross would be arrested & imprisoned for the crime as an act of revenge. I don’t think Pankey changed after ‘85 though. He seems to have issues with anyone who disregards his perceived authority or power.
I’m wondering if a set up was part of the plan ? Good info
I’m thinking a media thread would be helpful - I will try to work on that

He wasn't out macing and sexually assaulting people after 1985 though. I always assumed that if Pankey was in fact the perp, that he discovered Joelle alone because he had been stalking Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annabella2320