Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I compiled a list of weird incidents from the (very informative!) Greeley Tribune article.

• Law enforcement records show in September 1977 that Pankey was accused of first-degree sexual assault by a fellow church member.
  • In May 1976, he was accused of macing 15- and 16-year-old John Evans students at the John Evans tunnel.
  • In July 1979, court records show someone accused Pankey of making remarks about kids on his property and swinging a leather belt at them.
  • A trailer park owner accused Pankey of repeatedly calling the owner and saying nothing or making threats, including, “Before you get me in court, I’ll take care of you.”
  • The indictment also states Pankey watched school children walk home from Franklin Middle School, where Jonelle went to school — the only other connection to Jonelle prosecutors have so far made public.
  • Pankey was also cited in 1982 after a verbal disagreement with two people at the front doors of a Kmart that was located at 2829 10th St.
  • He was accused on April 6 of making repeated calls to people in a dispute involving ownership of his home.
  • A woman wrote her parents let Pankey live with them and that he tried to rape her when she was a teen. “He is crazy,” the woman wrote. “I think this is the beginning, and it will get worse.”
  • He accused his aunt of trying to run him off the road in July 1984. In October of that year, she filed a report on accusations he was harassing her. “For a year now S Pankey has been harassing me,” she wrote in the report. “He is my nephew and gained control on some property I released. He wanted the tenants of this property removed at that time and became unhappy they were not immediately removed. Since then S Pankey has followed me to the bank, to the post office, etc. On one day I received 58 phone calls from him.”
  • His aunt went on to detail how Pankey allegedly kept edging near her car as if he was going to hit her in the area of Reservoir Road and 23rd Avenue the night she wrote the statement.
  • The day before Jonelle’s disappearance, Pankey was accused of trespassing and harassment after he repeatedly refused to leave Norbel Credit Union, according to records. Pankey refused to leave unless he got “his money,” according to records, but the teller would not release it for financial reasons. Records show Pankey was repeatedly warned to leave the teller alone, but he continued to approach. The incident resulted in Pankey’s arrest on suspicion of harassment and third-degree criminal trespassing.
  • Law enforcement believes Pankey kidnapped Jonelle before Jim Matthews’ arrival and shot her during the course of the kidnapping, according to the indictment.

IMG_8311.jpg

Maybe not in the last decades but in The Greeley Tribune there is a story that he did have interactions with children. Apparently a family took him in and he tried to sexually assault their daughter when she was a teen.
Records show Pankey was accused of previous violent interactions with children, traded several accusations of harassment in 1984

Welcome to Websleuths, Swedish Sleuth!

Linky to your headline here

The indictment also states Pankey watched school children walk home from Franklin Middle School, where Jonelle went to school — the only other connection to Jonelle prosecutors have so far made public.

A middle school.

For some inexlicable reason, the name Lewis Carroll comes to mind.

Might be because I've some time off from work over the next few days with not much to do outside of a minor computer repair so it's going into the shop in about an hour.

Don't recall if this article was posted...

The 26 Reasons Steven Pankey Was Indicted in Jonelle Matthews Murder

October 14, 2020

The indictment takes the unusual step of listing the 26 reasons that the grand jury came up with those indictments. Some of the items are accusations, while others offer circumstantial evidence — but those circumstances are jaw-slackening.

I compiled a list of weird incidents from the (very informative!) Greeley Tribune article.

• Law enforcement records show in September 1977 that Pankey was accused of first-degree sexual assault by a fellow church member.
  • (snipped out some things)
  • The indictment also states Pankey watched school children walk home from Franklin Middle School, where Jonelle went to school — the only other connection to Jonelle prosecutors have so far made public.

The indictment mentions "Steven Dana Patrick attended the Sunny View Church of the Nazarene until approximately June of 1978. The Matthews family joined the church in the summer of 1978." It seems likely the rape accusation would be related to the same church. I wonder if there was perhaps some overlap in Pankey and the Matthews families attendance. It's a bit interesting to note Pankey kept attending for about nine months after the alleged rape.

• In July 1979, court records show someone accused Pankey of making remarks about kids on his property and swinging a leather belt at them.
The above is beyond bizarre.

If this goes to trial, I suspect everybody will be deaf after listening to SP's endless stories.

JMVHO.

This part really saddens me. The InterWest Bank concert was broadcast live on Cablevision. That was probably a huge honor & big deal for a middle school singer back then. She must have been still buzzing from the excitement when she returned home. It is so wrong she couldn’t just bask in that special night before this raging moron took her life. I hope her family was able to get a recording of that concert. She must have had a very pretty voice. Maybe a solo? So very glad this monster will face justice all these years later.

I cannot quit thinking about this statement listed #16 on indictment:
In an April 2003 court pleading, he asserted, “The family should be informed that Jennell (sic) died before crossing 10th st. (sic), and not to give the family hope,” the indictment states.
No idea what was going on in 2003.
What does this insinuate? SP lived on 10th st/34 business (same). The street on north end of Jonelle’s house in 4th, 10th st is next major street going north. It almost sounds like he killed her right away. Did he take her to his residence? Why did the car catch on fire, did he kill her while she was in it?
Remember he was selling a few cars during that time.
What do you think?

I cannot quit thinking about this statement listed #16 on indictment:
In an April 2003 court pleading, he asserted, “The family should be informed that Jennell (sic) died before crossing 10th st. (sic), and not to give the family hope,” the indictment states.
No idea what was going on in 2003.
What does this insinuate? SP lived on 10th st/34 business (same). The street on north end of Jonelle’s house in 4th, 10th st is next major street going north. It almost sounds like he killed her right away. Did he take her to his residence? Why did the car catch on fire, did he kill her while she was in it?
Remember he was selling a few cars during that time.
What do you think?
I think the case they're working on making is that his motive was to frame Ross and Jonelle was just a tool to accomplish that. Presumably he killed her in the car and the Christmas trip was an opportunity to get rid of that car far enough away it wouldn't be searched.

All moo,
I am guessing the Ross guy was cleared, because that is reasonable doubt right there. He dropped her off he would be the first POI. Without his insertion in the case, do you all think he would be charged?
I do believe he is guilty and I think Jonelle's sprit haunted him for years. He probably killed her prematurely. Maybe she almost got away?
I don't see him as being someone who killed before or after but I bet there some sexual harassments and or molestation.

Also to add, I listened to some of his video why so much emphasis on homosexuality it has nothing to do with the case.

Also to add, I listened to some of his video why so much emphasis on homosexuality it has nothing to do with the case.
He wrote an open letter stating he was gay although he was apparently married to a woman for a long time and had kids. Yes, I know that happens. But I rather expect he'll use that letter as "proof" he wouldn't have tried to kidnap a female.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...-11e4-9413-0019bb2963f4/53ebe5e9bed39.pdf.pdf

Quote: "As a gay candidate for governor, I support same sex marriage in Idaho."

I think the case they're working on making is that his motive was to frame Ross and Jonelle was just a tool to accomplish that. Presumably he killed her in the car and the Christmas trip was an opportunity to get rid of that car far enough away it wouldn't be searched.

In the indictment, number 19, it says that the ex-wife testified that they left unexpectedly and when they came back from the Christmas trip, Steve Pankey buried various items and "approximately two days later a car on their property burst into flames." Sounds like he got rid of the car for good. Agreed on your motive above.

Thanking @crhedbnger for the indictment found on this post
Reposting links for relevant documents in this case:
Indictment:
SP_Indictment_JM_Case.pdf

I think that indicting Steve Pankey is the right move. But I worry about this indictment. I've followed this for ages and I believe Steve Pankey is likely responsible - my concern is that there just isn't direct evidence to tie him to Jonelle's abduction/murder. I applaud LE for bringing this indictment anyway as I think it is the only way to get resolution here. There is a substantial amount of circumstantial evidence and almost no likelihood of more evidence coming to light. Why not let Steve Pankey open his mouth in front of the jury or in an interview or get take that plea deal he keeps talking about.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a cover up : if I’m gay I wouldn’t like little girls

He wrote an open letter stating he was gay although he was apparently married to a woman for a long time and had kids. Yes, I know that happens. But I rather expect he'll use that letter as "proof" he wouldn't have tried to kidnap a female.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...-11e4-9413-0019bb2963f4/53ebe5e9bed39.pdf.pdf

Quote: "As a gay candidate for governor, I support same sex marriage in Idaho."

Well that is not going to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads